Thoughts On the Wildcat Play on 3rd Down on Our Final Drive?

Vic Mackey

Like or dislike? Watching live, I did not like it at all when I saw we came out in wildcat. You are already telling them we are running the ball. I get it worked on the goaline but that was a different situation. I didn't mind the run call but not from the wildcat formation. I do get the playing it safe factor and to run clock. And we ran just enough clock to where Baylor ran out of time on their last drive. We made them use their remaining timeouts and the last thing we needed was an incomplete pass. The bubble screen was working at the end. I might have liked to see that rather than the wildcat run.

Just now, Helobious said:

LJH threw a touchdown out of that formation last week.

Yes but no way in hell we are letting him throw in the situation today. Baylor knew that. And they stuffed it.

I have never been a fan of the wildcat formation in general when it was all the craze starting a decade ago. I think the Dolphins kind of made it popular?

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes but no way in hell we are letting him throw in the situation today. Baylor knew that. And they stuffed it.

I have never been a fan of the wildcat formation in general when it was all the craze starting a decade ago. I think the Dolphins kind of made it popular?

They beat the Patriots with it in 2008 and that took it mainstream. 

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dolphins and in college Arkansas. Wildcat works but agreed that was a dumb shit call. That idiot Helobius - yeah, there’s a big difference between 2nd and goal from the 2 in your optionality. The whole D will key to stuff the run. Like the whole D - there are no safeties at the back of the end zone that will crash receivers on an errant pass from a WR out of wildcat. Conversely, a QB in there on today’s 3rd down call at midfield gives you much more optionality, whereas there is no way they’re letting a WR throw the ball in that spot, and so they can effectively employ a goal line D. It was really, really dumb. 

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I had no problem with it.  They knew we were going to run and it was the only way to get an extra blocker without running Shane (or going heavy)

Exactly, our o-line is not good enough to run it consistently when the defense knows we need to run.  We use the RB as an extra blocker to help Sam run.  Obviously Sam is hurt and they didn't trust Shane with running it.  I can see why they would put it in the hands of an elusive tough runner in LJH.  I don't think a handoff to Ingram would have yielded more yards in that situation either.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Like or dislike? Watching live, I did not like it at all when I saw we came out in wildcat. You are already telling them we are running the ball. I get it worked on the goaline but that was a different situation. I didn't mind the run call but not from the wildcat formation. I do get the playing it safe factor and to run clock. And we ran just enough clock to where Baylor ran out of time on their last drive. We made them use their remaining timeouts and the last thing we needed was an incomplete pass. The bubble screen was working at the end. I might have liked to see that rather than the wildcat run.

Dislike, for pretty much the reasons you stated. It's not like we were blowing them off the line in our run game, so telegraphing on an important play didn't seem like a great idea. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't like it, but also don't trust Buechele with the game on the line. I would have gone with outside zone to Ingram. The bubble screens were getting closer and closer to a pick 6, so I was happy not to see that throw again. Your defense had stopped them the entire 2nd half, except for the drive set up by Buechele's awful INT. Mims was out of the game, so while I would have preferred a 1st down to ice the game, making them drive the field with no timeouts was acceptable.

• Like 1