Margin of loss under Tom Herman

perfectchaos007

With our 8 losses so far in the Herman era, only 2 of them have been losses larger than 1 score

MOL:

3 (@ OKST 2018)

3 (@OKST 2017)

3 (@ USC 2017)

4 ( TTech 2017)

5 ( v OU 2017)

5 (@Maryland 2018)

10 ( Maryland 2017)

17 (@TCU 2017)

No one is really blowing us out when we lose which is a positive, but our winning margin of victory has also been close which is a sign that we play up or down to our competition. That needs to be fixed going forward if Herman wants to make his Texas teams elite going forward 

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Member when we used to make fun of aggy for claiming moral victories? I member. 

If analyzing games is 'claiming moral victories' then I guess I like claiming moral victories.

He is saying that while it is good we are not getting blown out, it does have some concerning trends especially when you also consider our victories. Granted even with his time at Houston we still have a smallish sample size of Herman's body of work. But certainly there is a pattern.

I think that is pretty accurate.

And that is claiming moral victories? How? And take your A&M BS over to the appropriate thread and stop trying to fuck up good ones with this crap.

Edited by Valmy77

There was something going around on here that Herman had a quote saying that his game strategy is to "win by one" or "score one more than the opponent". Is that actually true? Can't find anything on it using google, so I'm thinking it's a misquote or just straight made up.

It'd be concerning if he did actually believe that, because that's very dumb and would make sense given the margin of loss/victory stuff we're seeing. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There was something going around on here that Herman had a quote saying that his game strategy is to "win by one" or "score one more than the opponent". Is that actually true? Can't find anything on it using google, so I'm thinking it's a misquote or just straight made up.

It'd be concerning if he did actually believe that, because that's very dumb and would make sense given the margin of loss/victory stuff we're seeing. 

Yeah, Dude. He actually said "I want to win by 1. Not 7, not 10. One! If the lead gets any bigger, I'll make sure we get it back to 1 or as close to 1 as possible." The reason our margin of loss is so close is because the other coach also wants to win by 1.

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Yeah, Dude. He actually said "I want to win by one. Not 7, not 10. One! If the lead gets any bigger, I'll make sure we get it back to one or as close to one as possible." The reason our margin of loss is so close is because the other coach also wants to win by 1.

Ya man Checks out. I was watching the end of the Kansas TCU game today and when Kansas had a three point lead they ran back into their own Endzone to get a safety to win by one point

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, XYZ said:

Out of all those losses, there’s only one game that was not a contest (TCU). Every other game was winnable.

Maybe in a box score sense, but did anyone ever get a "we're going to win this" feeling during either Maryland game, last year's OU game, or last night?

17 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

compare that to loss margin these same players (juniors & seniors) had under Strong. Now imagine when Herman has his guys from day 1. We are def. trending in the right direction. 

You're telling me Herman can make players better when they are juniors & seniors than they were when they were freshman & sophomores?  Knute Rockne better watch out!

I really don’t buy into losing by 3 shows improvement over losing by 10, but that is just me.

What I do count is wins and losses. Consider that he and Riley started at the same time and Herman has almost 3 times as many losses during the same period. All while being paid twice as much. Were there obvious and extenuating circumstances to this disparity? Of course, the biggest being at the most important position on the field. Riley was gifted one Heisman winner, and very well could go two for two with guys he never actually recruited.

But at the end of the day a coach is tied to his record. No one will ever offer up excuses why coach X lost X amount of games. Only that they happened under his watch. It is why they have the earning potential that they all enjoy. And why I’m sure CDC thought of all this while watching ou go to the playoffs last year. And is still in the conversation this year even after Texas beat them.

Here is something that would be mind bottling. Rather than just saving up scheme or plays for the top opponents, what if Herman actually goes so far as to “accept” losses to bad teams as the cost of winning the critical big games against the top teams.

Of course every coach tries to win every game, but how far do they go to win one particular game? Does he consciously make the decision to not go too far with OSU prep, even if it results in a loss, because he knows he has to save certain things for WV and OU? I highly doubt it, but it would be crazy if some of that was going on. Of course no coach would ever admit that even if they thought that way.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Here is something that would be mind bottling. Rather than just saving up scheme or plays for the top opponents, what if Herman actually goes so far as to “accept” losses to bad teams as the cost of winning the critical big games against the top teams.

Of course every coach tries to win every game, but how far do they go to win one particular game? Does he consciously make the decision to not go too far with OSU prep, even if it results in a loss, because he knows he has to save certain things for WV and OU? I highly doubt it, but it would be crazy if some of that was going on. Of course no coach would ever admit that even if they thought that way.

He essentially did this by disciplining the players. He was willing to lose this game to make an example out of them. 

I guess it's good? But I'd rather have the win, which may be shortsighted. 

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

I really don’t buy into losing by 3 shows improvement over losing by 10, but that is just me.

What I do count is wins and losses. Consider that he and Riley started at the same time and Herman has almost 3 times as many losses during the same period. All while being paid twice as much. Were there obvious and extenuating circumstances to this disparity? Of course, the biggest being at the most important position on the field. Riley was gifted one Heisman winner, and very well could go two for two with guys he never actually recruited.

But at the end of the day a coach is tied to his record. No one will ever offer up excuses why coach X lost X amount of games. Only that they happened under his watch. It is why they have the earning potential that they all enjoy. And why I’m sure CDC thought of all this while watching ou go to the playoffs last year. And is still in the conversation this year even after Texas beat them.

You have really been crying a lot lately.