Beginner electric guitar

Not a cat

My teenage daughter (do I even need to say no pics, you sick assholes?) has expressed an interest in learning electric guitar.  She has some experience in acoustic with 2 or 3 years of lessons,  but she's certainly no prodigy.

If she shows a long term interest in it I'll be happy to spring for the top of the line  stuff but to be honest she shows a tendency to try something and lose interest quickly so I'm not going to break the bank on this purchase.

I've seen some cheap packages on Amazon as low as 90 bucks that include an amp. Cheap ass guitar   I suffer no delusions they are any good, but is something like that good enough to learn on and upgrade if she actually shows some persistence with it?  If not, what's the range and brand I need to go up to for an acceptable starter kit? 

Hair band musicians of surly, what say you?

Thanks in advance.

You can join us in the Guitar Pron thread in music if you would like - you'll get more of a consensus and we're pretty welcoming of this type of discussion.

I would recommend upping your budget a tad to get something like this (or an affinity strat - just search Squier Affinity at the link, this is the cheapest Fender next to the mini strat)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAffICPO--squier-affinity-series-telecaster-competition-orange-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

and something like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KataMini--boss-katana-mini-7-watt-combo-amp

I have the 50 watt katana, I"m sure the little 7 watt isn't incredible, but it's probably decent and we're keeping the price down.  I bought this (below) for my niece and it is also fine

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fly3--blackstar-fly3-3-watt-1x3-inch-combo-amp

you could get a bit more guitar for a similar amount of money quite easily if you went used, but that does require a tad more effort.  If you wanted to do that on line, Reverb is the site.

The above would be my quick recommendation.  It could be that she has a preference as well, maybe I'll look at what seems like a reasonable Epiphone...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-i-p90-electric-guitar/h77433000002000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2urr8D2BeiEGvsuHfmdup8M6iz8JTQDq3PzMwNoK6ohxRQ08b3XAoXsaAhXREALw_wcB

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Epiphone--Solidbody_Guitars/low2high

Someone in the pron thread (a few guys have some epiphones) may be better able to speak to the consistency/quality of these ones.  I think the one at the first link is kinda badass.  The issue with any of these cheaper guitars as it relates to initial playability will be the tuners (cheap tuning machines on the headstock, won't stay in tune quite as well as when she upgrades down the line) and the "setup" - if the guitar isn't adjusted well the strings might be a little high, the intonation might be a bit off.  You could spend another.... ballpark of $50 maybe to have that done at a music store.  Giving options here because for an electric guitar, teenager, you want one they think is cool and speaks to them.  Epiphone is to Gibson as Squier is to Fender.  And those are the "big" electric brands.  Yamaha makes nice cheaper guitars as well, they may not have as much cool factor.

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-i-p90-electric-guitar/h77433000002000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2urr8D2BeiEGvsuHfmdup8M6iz8JTQDq3PzMwNoK6ohxRQ08b3XAoXsaAhXREALw_wcB

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Epiphone--Solidbody_Guitars/low2high

Someone in the pron thread (a few guys have some epiphones) may be better able to speak to the consistency/quality of these ones.  I think the one at the first link is kinda badass.  The issue with any of these cheaper guitars as it relates to initial playability will be the tuners (cheap tuning machines on the headstock, won't stay in tune quite as well as when she upgrades down the line) and the "setup" - if the guitar isn't adjusted well the strings might be a little high, the intonation might be a bit off.  You could spend another.... ballpark of $50 maybe to have that done at a music store.  Giving options here because for an electric guitar, teenager, you want one they think is cool and speaks to them.  Epiphone is to Gibson as Squier is to Fender.  And those are the "big" electric brands.  Yamaha makes nice cheaper guitars as well, they may not have as much cool factor.

Yeah, with a new guitar, I'd recommend having a luthier or at least, and experienced player do an adjustment/setup.  If she's taking lessons, it's likely that her instructor could do it. 

If you're curious about what constitutes a setup, check out this video

If you decide to go with Sweetwater, click on the link in the lower righthand corner and ask for their best price. They will certainly come down off of the website price. Sweetwater will also do a set up and a better set of strings for about $45 if you want them to do so. 

Maybe a Squier HSS strat. Would give her a variety of tones in a classic guitar shape. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCHSSPLW--squier-contemporary-stratocaster-hss-pearl-white

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPHSICAR--squier-strat-pack-hss-candy-apple-red

Set up is a must. Also, different guitars have different "sizes" of necks. In general Fender has a bigger neck than a Gibson. Unless the daughter has large hands I'd go with a smaller neck which is called short scale. There are also guitars with necks that are even smaller. These are called 3/4 (three quarter) guitars. I learned on a Fender Duosonic which is a 3/4. Loved that guitar. Daisey Rock makes "girl guitars" which are short scale and some are pretty nice, but you gotta spend a little more to get the ones that aren't essentially toys. 

There are amps called "practice amps" which have some pre-recorded back ground music built in that helps the learning process. 

Again, whatever you get, get it "set up." It will make all the difference. 

Go to Pro Audio Star and search Daisy Rock Guitars DR6320-B Elite Venus Vintage Ivory B-Stock. It's B-Stock (how do I get my original font size back??!) so it is probably used, but it is $205 and unless completely trashed should be a good guitar...and did I mention...get a set up. That will cost you another $50 plus strings. 

In the dark ages I tuned once a week at my guitar teachers house (Wayne Wood is an Austin legend and a hell of a nice man) which I guess he tuned to a piano...don't really remember. When I was older I bought a 440A tuning fork and tuned with that. Now we have electronic tuners. She probably already has one for her acoustic. I think it's a good learning experience to learn to tune to a 440A fork, but that's pretty old school. If she doesn't have a tuner you can get one for about 10 bucks and it is well worth it. An out of tune electric guitar, wailing away, makes fingernails on a chalkboard sound like Mozart.

...and that brings me back to the set up. With a good set up the bridge is adjusted to make tiny adjustments to the length of the string. The tuners only adjust the tension. Once the bridge is set up the tuners will take care of business, but if the bridge is not properly set up she will never get properly in tune and that's frustrating as heck. 

I'm in the if I have to hear them learning it is going to be nice sounding camp. Buy a better used guitar that you can get the money back out of if they don't end up playing.

I'll second get a luthier to do a set up($65-100).  The kid's guitar had an edge of a single fret that was too high throwing the whole fret board out of wack for 2 strings. The kid said it was a totally different instrument with that fixed and a proper setup and practice time shot way up.

Also agree on paying attention to the neck for beginners.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, with a new guitar, I'd recommend having a luthier or at least, and experienced player do an adjustment/setup.  If she's taking lessons, it's likely that her instructor could do it. 

If you're curious about what constitutes a setup, check out this video

I crack up, without fail, every time I see his face on the cover of that video. 

I second the craigslist is your friend.  In Austin there are always deals to be had expecially on a beginner model and EVERYTHING is negotiable. I image the deals on quailty guitars is probably best this month moreso than any other.  Usually it's rent money driving the sale.  This year it's rent money, kid/mom/lady needs a girt, and I need to buy a plane ticket all squeezing the price on higher end shit downward. 

I would probably take her out and let her try out some different setups and see what fee;s best in her hand.  The fact she's a teenager means she already has a picture in her mind of what she thinks she would want.  Let her see if her mind's eye matches up with the feel of what she thinks she wants.  If she and you do a little research you can find a great fit for her, which will give her a LOT better chance of sticking with it than a new guitar that does not fit her hand.

My daughter has been taking classical guitar lessons and is itching to go electric.

I’m glad this thread exists. While I’m a huge music fan, I know Jack shit about instruments.

Until this thread, I had built this set up to buy her and I may be overthinking this.

-Fender Modern Player Telecaster...I originally was leaning towards a Jazzmaster but this seems better for a beginner.
-Orange Micro Terror Cabinet
-Big Muff pedal

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My daughter has been taking classical guitar lessons and is itching to go electric.

How tall is she and how big are her hands? When my daughter made the same switch we got her an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as the shorter and narrow neck was a better fit in her hands.

EDIT- looks like that Fender is also is friendly to smaller players.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

How tall is she and how big are her hands? When my daughter made the same switch we got her an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as the shorter and narrow neck was a better fit in her hands.

EDIT- looks like that Fender is also is friendly to smaller players.

She's 5'4" and pretty much done growing. She currently has a Yamaha C40II for reference.

The Orange cabinet by itself won’t do anything. You’ll need a head to go with it. Assuming you buy the head and cab and the muff that will certainly get you a very specific sound. Who are her favorite guitar players?

It’s a head/cabinet combo. She likes grungy bands like Deap Vally and L7.

IMO, when trying to learn guitar, it’s important to to try and get one that will stay in tune. The really cheap ones won’t and they are really challenging to learn on because a beginner can’t tell if it’s them or an out of tune guitar that sounds bad. So I always advise to buy the nicest one you can afford for learning. It will go better.

I always think a strat is the best beginner guitar. They are comfortable to play and very versatile.

On sweetwater you can get a squire standard strat for $249 list, or step up to the cheapest actual Fender (Player series) for $649 list if you want to step up, but this is still far from the top of the line strats (which are now in the $1800/2000 range I think).

And like everyone else said, spend the money on a setup. I think sweetwater will do it for you.