Cattle & Ranching

Errestaurants

14 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

reminds me of my dad's (well grandad's) old JD.  towards the end we had to pull start it with the truck every time with my dad bitching my 12yo old ass out for taking off too fast.  air up the tires for every run.  hydraulics were actually decent and only leaked a bit.  eventually some rainwater got in the engine block and froze and that's all she wrote.  i want to say it was built in the 50s and lasted 35 years or so. 

quick web search and this photo looks the most like what i remember

image.png.6e2b336ee5c704ff4630f81a7541b501.png 

The front wheels were definitely closer together than a lot of the other models and you had use the individual rear tire brake to turn.  Although it could have been a 4010 which was built in the early 60s.

Those front wheels are positioned like that so that they’ll fit in between rows of corn or milo when you’re cultivating. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
0ba99126730a2b0755bbde6febb932cc.jpg

I need another fuckin project like I need a hole in the head. A and B range are out thanks to idiot employees. Needs a new starter. AC is out. Remotes leak like a sieve and all 4 tires only hold air for a few hours, but I have a soft spot for old JD's and this one was free.

With absolutely no measurable rain in almost 85 days I've run out of things to do since I should be baling hay. $17 a can for John Deere classic green, which is a different shade of green than anything JD has made since 1989. 6 cans of green, 3 of yellow, and three cans of aircraft grade paint remover was over $200, but the old beast is going to look decent after this weekend. Stickers and decals were $86.
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

With absolutely no measurable rain in almost 85 days I've run out of things to do since I should be baling hay. $17 a can for John Deere classic green, which is a different shade of green than anything JD has made since 1989. 6 cans of green, 3 of yellow, and three cans of aircraft grade paint remover was over $200, but the old beast is going to look decent after this weekend. Stickers and decals were $86.

obligatory (sub post for thread)

image.jpeg.5a2de56caad9e0cf31a6e16f40016fcc.jpeg

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

So, I'm definitely in the watching from the sidelines crowd here, and I don't have any first hand experience on any of this, but I'm curious if a change in the typical model helps to mitigate some of the skinny margins.  I completely agree on the land being the determining factor in making any of this even remotely feasible.  But, I wonder if a more vertical model to integrate the entire process combined with ancillary cash crops and other livestock creates more profit opportunities along the way.  Granted, it takes the cap ex needed on the front end to another stratosphere, but I have half a mind to run a pro forma on it eventually.  Probably a pipe dream, and I couldn't do it on my few hundred acres in rocky, arid Kimble County, but I'm curious how much of an impact eliminating the profit margins of everything from the feed lot to the packing plant to the retailer have on the overall feasibility of running a cattle operation from a profitability standpoint. 

You'd think that with all the specialized levels in the cattle industry, that you could cut cost by vertically integrating your small operation. Unfortunately the math never works - the big boys at each level are too big and too efficient and control too much of the market for you to be able to pinch your pennies and turn a profit on beef.

We have 5 cows on 20 acres in Austin county and after we pay for hay and maintenance, and we sell our calves and put a side of beef in the freezer, we are happy to be break-even. We just got pedigreed Longhorns that we are trying to turn a profit with, but haven't put any up for sale yet. We'll see how that goes.

Unless you have a square mile of quality grass and tons of heavy gear, you're a hobby farmer and you should treat it that way.

Edit: Just noticed that I responded to a question from 7 months ago. Just ignore me, don't neg me.

Edited by LonghornBreeder
I'm an idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

You'd think that with all the specialized levels in the cattle industry, that you could cut cost by vertically integrating your small operation. Unfortunately the math never works - the big boys at each level are too big and too efficient and control too much of the market for you to be able to pinch your pennies and turn a profit on beef.

We have 5 cows on 20 acres in Austin county and after we pay for hay and maintenance, and we sell our calves and put a side of beef in the freezer, we are happy to be break-even. We just got pedigreed Longhorns that we are trying to turn a profit with, but haven't put any up for sale yet. We'll see how that goes.

Unless you have a square mile of quality grass and tons of heavy gear, you're a hobby farmer and you should treat it that way.

Edit: Just noticed that I responded to a question from 7 months ago. Just ignore me, don't neg me.

It’s cool. I enjoy reading the perspectives of people actually doing it. I’d like get some acreage and give it a try, but thanks to everyone here, I’m confident it’s a terrible idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

It’s cool. I enjoy reading the perspectives of people actually doing it. I’d like get some acreage and give it a try, but thanks to everyone here, I’m confident it’s a terrible idea. 

I encourage you to do it. I love it - wouldn't trade it for anything. My girls get to grow up seeing where their food comes from, their yard is massive and has a pond, a stream and dozens of trees. And I get to provide for my family the same way my grandpa did.

All I'm saying is my wife and I both have good day jobs to pay the bills.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

My nephew is doing it on 80 acres out near San Saba with about a dozen head. It can be a PITA, but his cows taste good.

94533D53-E949-441F-A1AC-F8EBA767ACE6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:41 PM, LonghornBreeder said:

I encourage you to do it. I love it - wouldn't trade it for anything. My girls get to grow up seeing where their food comes from, their yard is massive and has a pond, a stream and dozens of trees. And I get to provide for my family the same way my grandpa did.

This.  My dad ran 40+ original head of black angus.  His cousin was closer to the ranch to help out, but it's not easy.  So much can go wrong that is out of your control.  I always laugh when I remember the famous line about how do you make a million dollars from cattle?  Start with five....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, hornmpa96 said:

If you’re doing it from scratch, consider leasing land from someone for cheap. There are lots of landowners out there who want the ag exemption but don’t want to run an actual business. 

Not that I'm in the business, but my uncle is in his retirement, and outside of his own small ranch, he leases from someone about five miles down the road to run other cattle on. He says leasing is the way to do it. He also did a favor for a lady a few properties down who'll let him put some of his cattle on her place from time to time, which they'll just move over with horses, as the county road they're off of is a cattle-guarded one laner. I've always wanted have some cattle, all of my life, but it just seems like it'd be damn near impossible a lot of the time. If it's not one thing, it's always another. 

I took my stepdaughter down to folks' farm (north TX) when she was young. We were walking a pasture one morning and she pointed and said "What's that?"

I looked and there was a cow giving birth under an old oak tree. I said, " That's life, sweetie, that's the stuff you don't see on Instagram, snap, etc. "

I laughed as I grew up around all that, she didn't so it was a complete shock to see how birth happens and where meat comes from, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I took my stepdaughter down to folks' farm (north TX) when she was young. We were walking a pasture one morning and she pointed and said "What's that?"

I looked and there was a cow giving birth under an old oak tree. I said, " That's life, sweetie, that's the stuff you don't see on Instagram, snap, etc. "

I laughed as I grew up around all that, she didn't so it was a complete shock to see how birth happens and where meat comes from, etc.

Wasn't the first time I ever took the wife home, but within first few, we had one go into breech and had to unfuck that.  She went from only vaguely understanding where hamburgers came from to elbow deep in record time.   Of course, that calf was on the "keep" list from there.  Can't recall but likely even got named.  

• Like 1

Wasn't the first time I ever took the wife home, but within first few, we had one go into breech and had to unfuck that.  She went from only vaguely understanding where hamburgers came from to elbow deep in record time.   Of course, that calf was on the "keep" list from there.  Can't recall but likely even got named.  
Murica!

Sounds like she's a keeper...wife and calf.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This makes me laugh. Not because I find it humorous, but because I can relate. When I was buying my own place my wife (city girl) wanted cows to get our ag exemption. I told her there are easier and cheaper ways to do that than cows. She didn’t grow up with livestock around so she didn’t understand. This is reason #731 why ranchin’ ain’t fun.

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

I have so many questions.

Just a stupid fucking cow who has done this 3 times with that same hay ring.   It is a lightweight one even before one of the rings broke off the bottom.   She gets her head under it and just pushes her way in.  

I came up the the place this time last year and found these tracks all over that one 50 acre pasture and it took me a bit before I realized what was going on. 

01FB02E6-BE27-4307-9482-21BD68CB87B6.thumb.jpeg.32b9da03515589aa8a6af60f219c7f0a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, davidg said:

Just a stupid fucking cow who has done this 3 times with that same hay ring.   It is a lightweight one even before one of the rings broke off the bottom.   She gets her head under it and just pushes her way in.  

I came up the the place this time last year and found these tracks all over that one 50 acre pasture and it took me a bit before I realized what was going on. 

01FB02E6-BE27-4307-9482-21BD68CB87B6.thumb.jpeg.32b9da03515589aa8a6af60f219c7f0a.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg.aa9a2019fe1e754604cb200b856ac0a5.jpeg

These feeders are popular in my country. Not uncommon for a bull to get his head stuck while eating, and then carry the feeder around like a giant necklace. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, davidg said:

And they wonder where crop circles come from.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:41 PM, Cajun said:

Picking up the first Longhorn for the ranch down in Bigfoot in a few weeks once he weens.  Cute little bugger...

7BC99F0F-146E-46EF-99E6-F1A61F118B15_1_201_a.jpeg

That's a great looking calf.  Let me know if you need anymore.  We're selling throughout the year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:47 PM, davidg said:

it-was-the-aliens-im-not-saying-it-was-a

On 7/25/2023 at 5:16 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

reminds me of my dad's (well grandad's) old JD.  towards the end we had to pull start it with the truck every time with my dad bitching my 12yo old ass out for taking off too fast.  air up the tires for every run.  hydraulics were actually decent and only leaked a bit.  eventually some rainwater got in the engine block and froze and that's all she wrote.  i want to say it was built in the 50s and lasted 35 years or so. 

quick web search and this photo looks the most like what i remember

The front wheels were definitely closer together than a lot of the other models and you had use the individual rear tire brake to turn.  Although it could have been a 4010 which was built in the early 60s.

was out at the place a few weeks back and snapped a pic

image.png.54a715a9a9b055139d6afeedc011290e.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Having some land cleared to section off cattle down in Frio Co.  I sent up the drone to see how it was looking as the Cat guy did his thing and got this video.  There's something satisfying about watching full grown trees being snapped like toothpicks...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

Having some land cleared to section off cattle down in Frio Co.  I sent up the drone to see how it was looking as the Cat guy did his thing and got this video.  There's something satisfying about watching full grown trees being snapped like toothpicks...

If this lasts for 4 hours Imma sue your ass

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:45 PM, fattyflattie said:

I work with heavy equipment and it still amazes me how much shit can get done is so little time.  And some of the precision still amazes me. We got guys that can do amazingly intricate shit with an 80000# excavator. 

Our local guy has done very well for himself. He’s got jobs all over the state and gets to drive a half-ton pickup with leather seats and tell other people what to do. 
I had him out to price a feedlot project and we talked about demolition of old structures. He still saves those jobs for himself. Said he shuts off his cell phone and that’s his stress relief. The way he can pick apart the materials is amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Mesquite? That shit breaks like rocks, as if it grows pre-petrified.

It's a nightmare everywhere it grows.  Only thing it's good for is grilling, as it burns hot.  We've had the dozer guy out multiple times, but it's a constant battle as they start to grow back immediately.  

Guy in town has a Pyrenees, so he cleaned off small tracts with goats.  They do a hell of a job, but you can't scale that.  We'd just have fatter packs of coyotes.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Help a no-nothing here out ~ What do y'all spray the mesquite remnants with?

I don't think my cousin sprayed shit, but he had all that cleared area hit with a disc, then plowed, and then had grass seed planted.

Is he going to get a nasty surprise soon?

Edited by Cajun

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I don't think my cousin sprayed shit, but he had all that cleared area hit with a disc, then plowed, and then had grass seed planted.

Very likely, yes.   Shit, looks like it was well covered in last 3-4 posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not an expert here, but you have to spray it during a tight window in the spring/early summer when the leaves are nice and green. Takes two years to kill it. I don’t think you can spray after it’s been knocked down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, if it was just dozed and not root plowed your gonna have a bunch of sprouts pretty soon.

We use Remedy and diesel in a 1:4 ratio for trunk application 1-4” diameter, applied with a backpack sprayer. You can go to 15% on smaller diameter smooth bark plants. Sendero is supposed to be even more effective but is twice as expensive. Remedy is probably 80% effective in our mesquite. We just hit the leftovers during the next years spraying. I like to spray in May before it’s too hot. By Feb of next year, last years mesquite will be dead and rotted enough to break off by hand at ground level.

You can find a lot more info on the Texas Agrilife Brush Busters website.
  • Like 1

Yes, if it was just dozed and not root plowed your gonna have a bunch of sprouts pretty soon.

We use Remedy and diesel in a 1:4 ratio for trunk application 1-4” diameter, applied with a backpack sprayer. You can go to 15% on smaller diameter smooth bark plants. Sendero is supposed to be even more effective but is twice as expensive. Remedy is probably 80% effective in our mesquite. We just hit the leftovers during the next years spraying. I like to spray in May before it’s too hot. By Feb of next year, last years mesquite will be dead and rotted enough to break off by hand at ground level.

You can find a lot more info on the Texas Agrilife Brush Busters website.
  • Hook 'Em 1