2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

Thought it was 100 percent clear no doubt that Santos won rounds 1,2, and 5. 

But when a company will completely last second change the fight venue to another state to accommodate 1 man you know the judging is going to be corrupt. Props to the 1 judge who had the balls to judge it correctly. 

Dude did it with one knee too. Mad respect to Thiago Santos. LHW champ as far as I'm concerned. 

Just now, TexArcher said:

I'd really like to see a rematch.  JBJ admitted he was playing it safe and grinding out a decision against a guy with KO power.  It's not popular with fans, but it worked.

I'd like to see them go again with Santos at full strength.  He had a good game plan and it might have set up a KO shot, but then again JBJ is an excellent counter-puncher, so who knows.

Did you stick around to see JBJ having to be carried out to the locker room?

Damn Bones leg is fucked up. Got that winning smile though lol.

That elbow and flying knee was sweet.

He should've thrown the jab constantly, I know his jab is the sidekick to the leg but his jab could've been landing the whole fight. 8.5" reach advantage, he should've been popping the jab instead of trying to time the big maneuvers.

2 minutes ago, Rhyners said:

Thought it was 100 percent clear no doubt that Santos won rounds 1,2, and 5. 

But when a company will completely last second change the fight venue to another state to accommodate 1 man you know the judging is going to be corrupt. Props to the 1 judge who had the balls to judge it correctly. 

Dude did it with one knee too. Mad respect to Thiago Santos. LHW champ as far as I'm concerned. 

Awesome Santos is the Rhyners undisputed champ. Bet his mamma is proud.

It won't happen but what I want to see is a Masvidal Askren rematch. That was such a one off kind of fluke chance shot that Askren stupidly walked right into. That one should definitely be done again. 

I do t get all the Askren hate. He talks shit but he does it in a funnier way and avoids the race/religion/sexual orientation ignorant garbage that others like Conor, Sonnen, and that idiot Covington resort to in order to sell themselves. 

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Awesome Santos is the Rhyners undisputed champ. Bet his mamma is proud.

Sometimes corruption keeps a man from receiving the victory he earned. Doesn't mean he didn't earn it though. Would be nice if there could be a 100 percent unbiased and uncorrupted promotion but that will never happen in any sport ever. Humans are just too corrupt and deceitful by nature. 

It won't happen but what I want to see is a Masvidal Askren rematch. That was such a one off kind of fluke chance shot that Askren stupidly walked right into. That one should definitely be done again. 
I do t get all the Askren hate. He talks shit but he does it in a funnier way and avoids the race/religion/sexual orientation ignorant garbage that others like Conor, Sonnen, and that idiot Covington resort to in order to sell themselves. 
Na askrens ass needs to rematch Lawler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhyners said:

Sometimes corruption keeps a man from receiving the victory he earned. Doesn't mean he didn't earn it though. Would be nice if there could be a 100 percent unbiased and uncorrupted promotion but that will never happen in any sport ever. Humans are just too corrupt and deceitful by nature. 

The "promotion" doesn't pick the judges. If you think it's rigged then your enemy is the State Commission.

Also, you are wrong about Santos winning. Jones did enough and Santos was literally wobbling himself by throwing leg kicks, it looked really bad. Jones beat em up. The most effective shots were landed by Jones. The octagon was controlled by Jones. The damage was done by Jones. He out struck him. Jones dropped him with an elbow to the head, he landed a flying knee to the jaw, and he fucked both of Santos knees up.  

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, Rhyners said:

Read more  

Na askrens ass needs to rematch Lawler

Askren needs to retire. He came to UFC to go for the belt, he's gonna be ranked about 9 or 10. That's gonna take 5 or 6 fights to get to a shot. He's taking serious damage to the brain at 35, hes flushed.

6 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Askren needs to retire. He came to UFC to go for the belt, he's gonna be ranked about 9 or 10. That's gonna take 5 or 6 fights to get to a shot. He's taking serious damage to the brain at 35, hes flushed.

Age don't matter as much as mileage (=damage) in MMA.  Ben hasn't had a lot of mileage.  Though this fight revved up the odometer tons.

• Haha 1

Lol man your takes are amazing

22 minutes ago, Scraps said:
36 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Lol man your takes are amazing

Who would he beat in the top 10 in the division? Dude hasn't landed a punch in an MMA fight since November 24th, 2017. He got super lucky against Robbie. His schtick got him paid and a couple of fights, but quite a cost to his health. 

22 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Who would he beat in the top 10 in the division? Dude hasn't landed a punch in an MMA fight since November 24th, 2017. He got super lucky against Robbie. His schtick got him paid and a couple of fights, but quite a cost to his health. 

He probably could’ve beat Masvidal if he actually got a chance to put his hands on him tonight. You can’t take anything away from this fight in regards to Askren’s future. He can still bear hug and dry hump everyone in that division. Tonight was obviously calculated by Masvidal, but I’m not convinced he wins that fight 6 out of 10 times. 

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

He would be a favorite against everyone not in top 5.  Masvidal couldn't shake off Maia.  Run this fight back 10 times and Askren would take most of it.  Fluke KOs happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zavala said:

The most effective shots were landed by Jones. The octagon was controlled by Jones. The damage was done by Jones. He out struck him. Jones dropped him with an elbow to the head, he landed a flying knee to the jaw, and he fucked both of Santos knees up.  

Half wrong, half right. Rather close fight considering one fighter was almost down a leg because of a self-inflicted knee tear. Santos hurt Jones way more, Jones just did a great job of taking it and masking it. Look how little you listed for Jones for a 5 round fight.

But yes, I do believe Jones should have gotten the win.

8 hours ago, Zavala said:

The "promotion" doesn't pick the judges. If you think it's rigged then your enemy is the State Commission.

Also, you are wrong about Santos winning. Jones did enough and Santos was literally wobbling himself by throwing leg kicks, it looked really bad. Jones beat em up. The most effective shots were landed by Jones. The octagon was controlled by Jones. The damage was done by Jones. He out struck him. Jones dropped him with an elbow to the head, he landed a flying knee to the jaw, and he fucked both of Santos knees up.  

It's scored by round. 5 rounds total. Santos clearly won the 1,2, and 5th rounds. Jones did next to nothing in those rounds and did almost all of his damage in the 3 and 4th rounds. A few of his shots were flush but overall Santos landed more flush shots. Some of Jones' shots were glancing at best and Santos fell a few times simply because his knee was unstable. 

Go back and watch the 1,2, and 5th rounds individually and explain how a single one of those 3 could have been for Jones. I did it twice last night on catch up replay and Jones wasn't really close in any of those rounds. Since neither fighter came close to a 10-8 round that makes it clearly 48-47 Santos. 

The judges might be picked by the commission but they know how powerful the promotion is in getting them work and if they want to keep getting work then giving a judgement against the golden boy who the promotion will actually relocate an event venue last second for would be a bad thing for their future. Just like boxing. It's corrupt. 

8 hours ago, Zavala said:

What is this cost to his health?  

Dude's been in a cage 20 times and he's been KO'd once and you're talking as if he's been knocked retarded from repeated head trauma.  

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Hang ‘em up, Luke. 

”Like, I’ll give you an example, I think Luke Rockhold should talk about hanging it up,” White continued. “He broke his jaw tonight. So that’s a second broken jaw, he has been knocked out viciously a few times here. Shin is all banged up, he had to have a skin graph and all kinds of stuff. He has had a good career, he’s been a great fighter, I’d like to see him hang it up.”

Yeah, two broken jaws is a pretty good clue. 

12 hours ago, TexArcher said:

What is this cost to his health?  

Dude's been in a cage 20 times and he's been KO'd once and you're talking as if he's been knocked retarded from repeated head trauma.  

He's 36 and has been mauled in his only two UFC apparences. Just saying, goin for the belt doesn't make sense if he can't even land one punch in the UFC in two fights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Askren

Askren was sent to the Shadow Realm after Yami Jorge summoned all five Exodia pieces + soda.

He was REALLY fucked. 

Thiago Santos fought most of his light heavyweight title bout with Jon Jones on essentially one leg.

Santos tore the ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus of his left knee in the UFC 239 main event Saturday night in Las Vegas, his manager Alex Davis confirmed with ESPN. Tests came back with that information Monday, Davis said.

Brazilian outlet Combate was the first to report the news. Davis said that Santos is likely to be out for the rest of 2019 and beyond.

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm back on bored as being an Askren fan, standup interview.

It’s hard for me to be a fan of him and his style, but he handled this interview about as well as you could imagine. A lot of people wouldn’t have even accepted the interview. Plus, Helwani was asking him some awkward ass questions

I did laugh when he said “before this fight I always wondered. How does someone get caught with a flying knee. Can’t you see that coming?”

Glad to see that he’s doing ok. There was a split second Saturday night where I thought to myself “oh shit, he’s still not moving.”

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I’m thinking the judges won’t be necessary in this one. 

The UFC is working on finalizing a Donald Cerrone vs. Justin Gaethje main event for the Sept. 14 Fight Night card in Vancouver, British Columbia, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.

UFC president Dana White first revealed the plans to Yahoo Sports on Wednesday night.

According to sources, the fight isn't finalized, but all parties are hoping to do so in the near future.

Cerrone (36-12, 1 NC) will be looking to rebound from his loss last month to Tony Ferguson. That loss snapped a three-fight winning streak for "Cowboy." Meanwhile, Gaethje (20-2) will hope to extend his winning streak to three in a row. He scored first-round knockouts over James Vick and Edson Barboza in his previous two fights.

The event will mark the UFC's fifth at Rogers Arena in Vancouver.