Lottery lessons learned by idiots- rule #1, dont tell roommate - "I just won $10M on a scratchoff- heres the ticket"

AUS-97HORN

Cali man is extra stupid- first off he thought he only won $10K on the ticket.  Turns out it was worth $10M.

He then bragged to his roommates about the $10k win, leaving the ticket out on the counter for them to steal.

one of hisroommates takes winning ticket- swaps it out with a known loser :

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

and then tries to cash it in 3 weeks later....  turns out original roommate wasnt a complete idiot, and had already given law enforcement a heads up that his winning ticket had been stolen by one of his roommates.

The genius got arrested when he showed up to collect his $10M

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-man-accused-stealing-roommate-s-winning-10-million-lotto-n956616

Police said Saosongyang's roommate bought a $30 ticket at a grocery store on Dec. 20 and thought he had won $10,000. He shared the good news with his two roommates that night, but when he went to cash it in the morning, he discovered his winning ticket had been swapped for a loser.

"He suspected one of his roommates must have stolen his winning ticket while he was sleeping and immediately reported the theft to the police department," a police statement said.

Meanwhile, Saosongyang brought the winning ticket to Lottery’s Sacramento District Office in an effort to cash it. He was told it was worth $10 million, not $10,000.

The lottery reviews all winnings over $600 and with the help of police and video surveillance, they quickly realized Saosongyang hadn't bought the winning scratch-off, police said.

Saosongyang was invited to the lottery office to collect his winnings on Jan. 7, "but instead of him celebrating his big win he was arrested by Vacaville PD Detectives," police said.

The lottery reviews all winnings over $600 and with the help of police and video surveillance, they quickly realized Saosongyang hadn't bought the winning scratch-off, police said.

I was listening to a a podcast on scammers, and one episode was about an Iowa lottery scam. Apparently, they state lotteries do a decent amount of security-verification for big-ticket winners a la pulling confirming video from the purchasing location. Who knew?

There was a big internal operation where they were fixing numbers or something for some state lotteries. Family gang. I think Iowa may have been involved.

Looked it up like a big boy. Here ya go, bitches:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/investigations/2017/08/22/iowa-lottery-cheat-sentenced-25-years/566642001/

18 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

There’s such a thing as a $30 scratch off?? Good lord- I couldn’t do that.

I’ll buy my share of powerball when it gets to a zillion or whatever but to walk in and plop down $30 on a scratch off.... I never knew that was possible.  

With a 10 million payout no less. I wonder how those scratchoff odds compare to $30 of powerball tix. 

28 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I take it you never have looked at the automated lottery ticket dispenser at any HEB? Lots of high dollar options in those. Texas Lottery has two  $50 scratchoffs, one $30 one, and several $20 ones.

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I’ll buy my share of powerball when it gets to a zillion or whatever but to walk in and plop down $30 on a scratch off.... I never knew that was possible.  

Ballers play the $50 tix...

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

I was listening to a a podcast on scammers, and one episode was about an Iowa lottery scam. Apparently, they state lotteries do a decent amount of security-verification for big-ticket winners a la pulling confirming video from the purchasing location. Who knew?

Kyle the Rube

They go even higher. They are typically much bigger in size with several games on them though, so it’s kind of like buying multiple lesser value tickets. And the prizes are roughly proportional to the lower value tickets (as in you basically have the same odds of winning back the cost of the ticket).

And just for the record, I do not play the lottery. My knowledge comes from growing up with a father who spent hundreds a week doing so.

I'll apologize in advance to anyone offended by my glib opinion, but If you playing the lottery with money that could serve a better purpose in your life (like college fund for your kids, your retirement account, a fucking vegetable instead of buying your groceries from the Dollar Tree), then you are a drooling, mouth breathing mongoloid.  You are truly too stupid to live and it's an insult to our country's founders that you are allowed to vote.  And my opinion is based solely on the ludicrous odd of winning.  It has nothing to do with the idea that it's supposed to be supporting our schools which is a farce.  It's essentially a tax on the poor and stupid.  (Again, this is not meant for anyone on here, who, if you play the lottery, it's just as a goof.)