Cooking wabbit

South Austin

I was at Central Market yesterday and saw they have whole rabbit behind the butcher counter.  I'm intrigued and will pick one up to cook this weekend.  I've never cooked rabbit, and have only had it once or twice in my life.  Any Surly-approved recipes or suggestions?
You cannot go wrong with Lapin a la Moutarde.
  • Like 2

Break the rabbit down using the method found in the Zuni cookbook.  Front legs, hind legs, loins, belly flaps.  Most recipes have you hack the saddle into thirds and then toss it into the braise with (or roasted alongside) the legs.  Think of the loins as white meat that can be easily overcooked.  If you're doing a braise, add them for the final few minutes.

If it comes with liver and heart, those are great cooked gently in a pan and then chopped up on toast.

This is a great recipe for a first-time rabbit cook.  Make sure the olives are oil-cured and not brined.

This is what my grandma used to do with the desert cottontails we'd shoot down in Chihuahua:

fried_rabbit.jpg

Simple as hell, and goddamn, it was so good.  Fried rabbit eaten by the light of a hurricane lamp in the ranch house.  Doesn't get much more pure and delicious than that.

My wife loves "bunnies!" so she won't let me serve rabbit at home.  Ridiculous.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Holy shite, Brisket, that looks damn tasty.  I probably won't fry this time around, but will file that away for later use.

To clarify, that's an interwebs photo -- I don't know if we have any pics from the ranch in 1974.  But that's what it looked like.  It's really lean, so you don't want to overcook it.  But it's smaller than most chicken parts, so it cooks faster, too.  I could eat about 4 hind legs at a sitting, and I was all of 4-5 at the time.

rabbit in mustard sauce is about as good as it gets for a cold weather dish.  i will often make a stop in Louisiana to get a cut up rabbit when i drive back from NO, and that's how I always cook it.  last time i did it, i served with braised red cabbage topped with goat cheese.  it was great.  i think i could find both recipes if you want them. 

IMG-2145-RMS.jpg 

• Like 1

This is what my grandma used to do with the desert cottontails we'd shoot down in Chihuahua:
fried_rabbit.jpg
Simple as hell, and goddamn, it was so good.  Fried rabbit eaten by the light of a hurricane lamp in the ranch house.  Doesn't get much more pure and delicious than that.
Fried rabbit is outstanding.
  • Like 1

Lapin a la Moutarde on egg noodles with Brussels Sprouts and toast with sautéed organ cream. CM was out of bunny when I went last night. The butcher was kinda shocked. I assume lots of Surlies had dropped in and wiped it out. Circle C HEB carries frozen bunny all the time so I grabbed a three pound box for four of us.

The twins dug it. Such a mild flavor. I wanted to try the olive recipe but figured this would be baby steps. The box came with three kidneys, a heart and a liver. Sautéed in butter with shallots, chopped and added heavy cream to make the topping for the toast. Shit on a Shingle has a long way to go.

36a7c44983d36ecba5c9a6e0de8cb80e.jpg

• Like 2

fried_rabbit.jpg
Used to spotlight for rabbits at the deer lease near Tilden when I was a kid. We fried 'em up everytime for a late night snack. It's fantastic.

• 3 years later...

So reviving this thread.  I have a recipe for rabbit that involves red wine soaked prunes stuffed with foie gras that are then stuffed into the rabbit.  The rabbit is braised in the red wine.  It produces an amazing rabbit that I would recommend to anyone.  It is a recipe I have from Domaine Tempier.  It is time consuming, but I highly recommend it.  I can post it here if there is interest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So reviving this thread.  I have a recipe for rabbit that involves red wine soaked prunes stuffed with foie gras that are then stuffed into the rabbit.  The rabbit is braised in the red wine.  It produces an amazing rabbit that I would recommend to anyone.  It is a recipe I have from Domaine Tempier.  It is time consuming, but I highly recommend it.  I can post it here if there is interest.

ill swing by and pick up a plate !

but I'm serious, montreal steak seasoning and on the grill. little bbq sauce before you take it off the grill 

Ate at Jamie Oliver’s place in Sydney.  Braised rabbit ravioli with some sort of cream sauce was the special.  It slammed.  I enjoy making fresh pasta and would totally try to replicate if I had easy access to rabbit.  You should go that route.  Post pics whatever you do.  Godspeed.