I caught the cancer

Burt

Posted (edited)

Last night I stabbed myself several times with the glucose meter while yelling made-up Japanese words like a samurai.

Numbers were High As Fuck, though trending down. Stalked my doc's home phone through one of those people-finder sites, she was cool about it, said it's steroids and will go away soon, but if I wanted to I should maybe stop by a Doc-in-the-Box. So I did, every one was closed, and I got home by memory because my vision blurred. 

I said hell no to emergency rooms because I could see getting trapped in one until my numbers went down, and I would would miss my radiation party day today.

Big mistake, because I woke up dead. No, wait.

Nice morning of water and non-carb food, soon to be followed by a 2-mile stroll. I'll test the glucose again after that, then we enter into Zapping World.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Basil said:

I've been through the ringer at MDAnderson for stage 3 colorectal cancer. He told me there was no evidence that sugar feeds cancer cells differently from other cells and no evidence you can starve cancer by cutting carbs. 

here’s a screen cap from google with a few lines from an MD Anderson linked article mentioning the link between insulin and colorectal.

IMG-2508.png

4 hours ago, Basil said:

How high we talking about here with these numbers?

Not too bad. Only 545 last night, went down to 450. I think I'm dead already and don't know it like in 6th Sense.

345 this morning, Swung by oncologist and they jacked me up with 4 units of insulin before Zapping.

Zapping took maybe 15 minutes, then I swung by to get my brain-swell vomit pills as well as a drug that treats high sugar.

The main thing is I am OFF the Dexamethasone which was 50% of the reason I flipped diabetic, the other half being the tumor in my thalamus. And OK maybe I shoulda skipped that cookie.

Got a new Day of the Dead mask to work on. As for other effects, I don't seem seem seem ghersgh seem to be problem have:;"'.

IMG_0271.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

here’s a screen cap from google with a few lines from an MD Anderson linked article mentioning the link between insulin and colorectal.

IMG-2508.png

Isn't that just pointing out being obese raises the risk of certain cancers, not cutting down is an effective treatment? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Isn't that just pointing out being obese raises the risk of certain cancers, not cutting down is an effective treatment? 

Yeah, he moved the goalposts from fighting cancer to cancer risk.

Next we'll be talking about other stupid fake miracle cures that get people killed, like alkaline diet and castor beans.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I know you got the cancer and the brain zapps and everything, but dang man, water your plants. Or throw them out. They may be past the watering stage.

Brah, it's a cactus. It's been getting rain splash. The dead one was a weed that grew in an empty pot full of dirt. I'm like, you chose this spot, it's on you.

BREAKING NEWS: In the interest of internet harmony, I just now heaved some water on them.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Well, now I feel guilty about shaming you into yard work. If you got any energy left after dragging those hoses all over the yard I'd be interested in your thoughts on the machine and the zapping and all that. 

We have a postage stamp yard so no hoses, no worries. The wild flowers died in the front yard after feeding the bees so I might mow it tomorrow and satisfy the control-freak urges of the local White People.

(I am White too, but not that kind of White.)

The cactus have a story. Around 2011 I found two detached nopal lobes baking on the sidewalk, one in the ghettoooo, the other outside a Sicilian pizza joint. I put them in a big pot out front by the oak tree and they thrived.

A few years later I got a nastygram from an anonymous hussy who probably thinks we have an HOA (HA!) about how she hated the cactus. So I quietly broke off a couple of the old lobes from the plants out front, and potted them up on the back deck so that eventually I could put three big pots of cactuses out front for her.

Except I forgot, even though the new ones grew into Feed Me Seymour tentacled horrors out back. Whenever I have to shift them, I suffer stabs.

The one you saw in the photo is a tiny third-generation plant from where I knocked another lobe off.

As for fucking with the squares by turning the front yard into Fort Cactus, instead, when the oak tree died I had the dudes leave a stump about 4 feet high, and it is grown up in things like sunflowers and is a hippy paradise for rabbits and goldfinches.

Also, I let one of the main anonymous-letter suspects know that whoever left un-stamped message in my Federal mailbox was violating Postal Code [I used to know the number], and they could be fined $7,500. Also that I had kept all letters from local busy-body groups, and if I got another one I didn't like, I'd turn it all in to postal inspectors and Devil Take the Hindmost.

All the cactuses in this yard are not plants.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

If you got any energy left after dragging those hoses all over the yard I'd be interested in your thoughts on the machine and the zapping and all that. 

If you ever need a zapping, just keep your eyes closed and you'll be done faster than getting your food in a slow drive-through line.

I felt nothing, still don't. Doc said I might get a headache in a day or two.

I took my grandkids to see Little Shop of Horror off broadway a couple of weeks ago so the Feed Me Seymour comment made me smile. The woman who played Audrey was hot af and had a voice the match of Ellen Greene, and that's saying something IMHO. The next night we went to The Met and saw Madame Butterfly. Third time I've seen it and it still makes me all weepy, but hey, it's Butterfly. What cha' gonna do? You don't weep at Butterfly you got no heart, maybe no soul.

• Drool 1

My 80-year-old uncle seems to have a tumor on his pancreas. He and my kinda-churchy cousin were on their way from the wilds of East Alabama to UAB today when I got up with him. This is the guy who taught me how to put a spin on a football. I told him to kick its fucking ass. Both of em laughed.

So far the Star Trek tricorder to my brain has caused no complications. My vomit pills sit unused. Took one tylenol to treat a mild headache one day. I know I'm lucky.

Was able to go to art shows on different weekends, heave boxes around, and keep my con-man patter going with the customers. I was telling @InkaUtexas that was the best medicine of all. Fuck cancer, have a little fun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Was able to go to art shows on different weekends, heave boxes around, and keep my con-man patter going with the customers. I was telling @InkaUtexas that was the best medicine of all. Fuck cancer, have a little fun.

Not to appear glib, but I went to an "art" show today.  I wish I had gone to yours.  I've never seen so many mediocre landscapes and still lifes.  Blech.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not to appear glib, but I went to an "art" show today.  I wish I had gone to yours.  I've never seen so many mediocre landscapes and still lifes.  Blech.

Have a heart; they probably spent most of their lives being useful members of society instead of futzing around as psychotic narcissistic picture-drawers.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

My coworker, a sweet bumbling but really smart dude was diagnosed with throat cancer last year. He took some time off for treatment, came back for a few days a week, and took some more time off.

I saw him yesterday. He had lost about 20 pounds, lost all his hair, and his face was scabbed up (anyone know why?) Anyway, he told me that he's fighting the battle, but lost the war. I asked him to expound, and he told me the cancer had spread through his lungs and back, any treatment now is just so he can spend more time with his wife, kids and grandkids.

The company is planning a "Thank You" retirement party for him in June. I think he'll still be alive at that point, but who knows how long he'll be around.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

One of my chemo drugs gave me horrible face acne, like hundreds of pimples all over my face, head, chest and upper back. They lowered the dose and it would just flare up in the t-zone for a few days every cycle. Shit was even INSIDE my nostrils (I read a woman saying she had them inside her eyelids, so I consider myself getting off lucky). That and chemo gives you all kinds of skin issues in general. I imagine it's something similar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been traveling Europe and off chemo for 6 weeks now, my first break in 16 months. You don't realize how fucked you feel everyday on that stuff. I come home this coming weekend and have a scan a week from Monday to see how the y90 in my liver worked out. Colon mass set to be ripped out on the 22nd, hopefully reversing the colonostomy at that time too. Doc's goal is a chemo break of 6-12 months. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, seven said:

I have been traveling Europe and off chemo for 6 weeks now, my first break in 16 months. You don't realize how fucked you feel everyday on that stuff. I come home this coming weekend and have a scan a week from Monday to see how the y90 in my liver worked out. Colon mass set to be ripped out on the 22nd, hopefully reversing the colonostomy at that time too. Doc's goal is a chemo break of 6-12 months. 

Hang in there seven. Pulling for you