I caught the cancer

Burt

What type of melanoma?  I just had a lentigo maligna, which is the least dicey kind, removed from my right cheek two weeks ago at MD Anderson.  They got it all in the first try and left me with a cool zigzag scar from my cheek to over below my ear.  Best of luck to y'all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was told to add weight before my transplant and have been doing a lot of full fat yogurt (with powder protein, granola and berries) and protein smoothies (whole milk, peanut butter, powder protein, frozen fruit). I’ve gained about 10 pounds doing that, among other things. Those are the two that are probably least filling and easiest on the stomach, with still providing calories.

I’m sure you’ve had a million suggestions, so just throw these on the pile if not needed. Just wanted to pass along.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I was told to add weight before my transplant and have been doing a lot of full fat yogurt (with powder protein, granola and berries) and protein smoothies (whole milk, peanut butter, powder protein, frozen fruit). I’ve gained about 10 pounds doing that, among other things. Those are the two that are probably least filling and easiest on the stomach, with still providing calories.

I’m sure you’ve had a million suggestions, so just throw these on the pile if not needed. Just wanted to pass along.

Good suggestions.  Trying ice cream, but it’s caused me to puke the last few times I’ve eaten it.  I feel like when I try something specific I burn out on it fast and it makes me nauseous.  Ensures are about a 50/50 proposition on booting.

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Good news, AC.  One day at a time is the only way to go.

Personally I've had some setbacks that have me just dragging ass so completely that I struggle to get through the days.  Work has been cool about it, but not sure for how long.  The one thing I'm really struggling with now is weight loss.  I had plenty of room to spare so it wasn't much of a problem for a long while.  And I flattened at about 165-167, which was fine.  But constant nausea and just a complete lack of appetite has me down to almost 155, which I haven't been since, shit, HS at least.  About 50 lbs total loss.  Problem is I won't be able to put on any significant weight really ever again, so for the near term I have to try to force calories into me.  I know that's a "oh poor guy" concern, but it is really troubling.  I could easily get by on less than 1000 cals a day, but I'll keep dropping and that ain't good.  It's a total reversal of what I've been trying to do for most of my adult life, which is limit calories when I can.  But it's just not as easy as "just eat more".  I can't.  Capacity and a total lack of desire to eat is fighting me.  Oh, and I've had diarrhea for about a month, so that's nice.  I shit my pants at work on Wednesday and had to leave.  Guess I should update that entry in the shart thread.  Oh, and I had a stroke.  No symptoms, but MRI revealed it.  My 20 year term life insurance policy is up in about a year and any agent will just laugh at me trying to get a new policy.  Onward and upward anyway.

A lot of term policies have guaranteed convertibility. Might want to check on that. Not cheap, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Good suggestions.  Trying ice cream, but it’s caused me to puke the last few times I’ve eaten it.  I feel like when I try something specific I burn out on it fast and it makes me nauseous.  Ensures are about a 50/50 proposition on booting.

I have found that my taste buds will change from time to time, one week I'm eating like a guy who was born in Oaxaca, the next I'm like a 5-year-old from Minnesota who thinks catchup is too spicy. A glass of the same type of wine will taste like vinegar one month, OK the next, then like sickeningly-sweet syrup later on. Drugs, maaaaan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Progress scan last week. All tumors are stable but my cea has been steadily rising the last 3 months after being demolished by the oxaliplatin. My spleen has kept growing and is now 2 in over normal in both directions and gobbling up my platelets, so I'm going to see an infectious disease doctor tomorrow and scheduled a pet scan next week. The fistula between my bladder and colon has settled down and I don't feel like killing myself when I have to piss, but I also now piss out "sediment" or "debris" as the doctors have called it. Urologist says there's basically nothing he can do except surgery and that would require going off treatment for a while which of course my oncologist is not a fan of. Seeing how it plays out for now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Well shit... Bunch of test results back and the doc wants to change my treatment plan due to the fistula. Stopping the xeloda pills and doing the 5fu infusions now. Stopping the Avastin so that hopefully the fistula will heal on its own. Adding Irinotecan and Vectibix. Might have to get a piss bag to go with my poop bag. This shit sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, seven said:

Well shit... Bunch of test results back and the doc wants to change my treatment plan due to the fistula. Stopping the xeloda pills and doing the 5fu infusions now. Stopping the Avastin so that hopefully the fistula will heal on its own. Adding Irinotecan and Vectibix. Might have to get a piss bag to go with my poop bag. This shit sucks. 

But, I mean....on the bright spot, when you tell people you have a "fistula," that sounds kinda cool.  Or kinky.  Which is also cool.  So, you know...capitalize on it and stuff.  Impress chicks.

Because you gotta make up for the big reveal of a poop bag AND piss bag when it comes time to get busy.

We're here to help you plan and strategize.  No need to thank us, it's the least we can do for one of our own fighting cancer.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I just got a call that one of my longtime golf buddies is coming home from the hospital to enter Hospice care. He's been fighting esophageal cancer for several years and went to the hospital yesterday with pneumonia. One of the nicest, smartest guys I know. Cancer gives no fucks. He will be the first of our group to go and this will leave a huge hole. I'm trying to get a little work done before the holiday but I might as well go home. Fuck Cancer

I'm headed out to the CC for his Celebration of Life.

Fuck Cancer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I finally have the update on Mrs. Fairway - 2nd biopsy results last week; clear margins. She is now on a dermatologist check every 3 months for the next 3 years, then maybe every 6 months. She is thrilled with the results; I wanted her to see an oncologist; but after I called the best one around here (UM Medicine Skin Cancer/Dermatoligy) they confirmed that with those results that she would see the dermatologist there and until there was a 2nd positive test they don't get a full oncology review or start a body scan to see if has progressed to other places (lymph nodes are most likely - so says Dr. Google) 

win-yes.gif

Haven't caught up on the whole thread, but I will to see who the prostate cancer crew are.

I got a stage 1 prostate cancer diagnosis earlier this summer. Highest of the Gleason scores was 7.

In my 50s and no symptoms other than elevated PSA, so it seems like they caught it early and it is immensely treatable right now. Scheduled surgery at UTSW for AFTER TX/ou, but recuperating during the holidays this Fall is going to suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Haven't caught up on the whole thread, but I will to see who the prostate cancer crew are.

I got a stage 1 prostate cancer diagnosis earlier this summer. Highest of the Gleason scores was 7.

In my 50s and no symptoms other than elevated PSA, so it seems like they caught it early and it is immensely treatable right now. Scheduled surgery at UTSW for AFTER TX/ou, but recuperating during the holidays this Fall is going to suck.

So why did you choose surgery over radiation? Where are you having the procedure done? Do the use robotics?

So why did you choose surgery over radiation? Where are you having the procedure done? Do the use robotics?
Consulted with radiologist but radiation sounds brutal. Huge risk it frys your rectum so they have to insert a protective gel/spacer into your taint that stays there for the months you are having radiation 5 days a week. Also can radiate after surgery when it (inevitably) recurs, but can't get prostatectomy after radiation as I understand it.

Surgery scheduled at UT Southwestern in Dallas. I believe all prostatectomies are robotic now, but I expect a teaching hospital to have the latest and greatest gear.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Consulted with radiologist but radiation sounds brutal. Huge risk it frys your rectum so they have to insert a protective gel/spacer into your taint that stays there for the months you are having radiation 5 days a week. Also can radiate after surgery when it (inevitably) recurs, but can't get prostatectomy after radiation as I understand it.

Surgery scheduled at UT Southwestern in Dallas. I believe all prostatectomies are robotic now, but I expect a teaching hospital to have the latest and greatest gear.

One of my best buddies did this. It was a trade off as he wound up not being able to get an erection unless he has some kind of shot, but he doesn’t have cancer anymore.  Acceptable trade off, and not always what happens.  Nerve nicked. 

he also says the shot lasts for two hours, so there’s that

• Like 1

Yeah. I think I heard 25% chance of needing pills and 25% chance of needing pumps or whatever-even in a case of early detection where there aren't external tumors/swelling. So 50% chance of natural boners. Still better than cancer, but that is why I ditched private practice urologist in favor of a SOTA teaching hospital.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:09 PM, Gatorubet said:

One of my best buddies did this. It was a trade off as he wound up not being able to get an erection unless he has some kind of shot, but he doesn’t have cancer anymore.  Acceptable trade off, and not always what happens.  Nerve nicked. 

he also says the shot lasts for two hours, so there’s that

Did your friend have a surgeon using robotics? 

I spoke to my care manager today to talk about next steps. The 20x radiation option doesn’t sound too bad as long as the cancer does not come back in the prostate. 

the surgery option just seems like it really really sucks.  After the catheter, it’s likely 4 to 6 weeks of wearing depends. I’m 50 fucking 4. I shouldn’t be wearing diapers for another 20 goddamn years. Think I’ll make my decision tonight after drinking way too much bourbon.

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Did your friend have a surgeon using robotics? 

I spoke to my care manager today to talk about next steps. The 20x radiation option doesn’t sound too bad as long as the cancer does not come back in the prostate. 

the surgery option just seems like it really really sucks.  After the catheter, it’s likely 4 to 6 weeks of wearing depends. I’m 50 fucking 4. I shouldn’t be wearing diapers for another 20 goddamn years. Think I’ll make my decision tonight after drinking way too much bourbon.

hate, listen to a doc you trust instead of some mook like me giving you hearsay stories.    I do know that my friend had it done at MD Anderson and that his surgical oncologist was top-flight.  But the thing is, there is always an element of risk in any surgery, and even the best surgeon has to contend with the fact that all of us are wired and plumbed differently.

Very happy to hear your news that it had not spread.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I think I’ve decided on surgery. The radiation option was sounding good until they mentioned the complications of it came back. If it comes back after surgery, all treatment options would be on the table. That would not be the case after radiation. The good thing is that my doc won’t be available until after Texas/OU weekend, so my annual trip to Port A is still on. That will be my last big blowout before shit gets real.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

If it comes back after surgery, all treatment options would be on the table. That would not be the case after radiation.

You made the correct choice in your 50s. Radiologist told me retreatment option after radiation was basically chemical castration.

Think I remember hearing a 10-20% chance of being completely cured after surgery with Gleason 7, but otherwise it will come back if you live long enough.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Well, I think I’ve decided on surgery. The radiation option was sounding good until they mentioned the complications of it came back. If it comes back after surgery, all treatment options would be on the table. That would not be the case after radiation. The good thing is that my doc won’t be available until after Texas/OU weekend, so my annual trip to Port A is still on. That will be my last big blowout before shit gets real.

Chicks dig scars.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:27 PM, Sbbruin said:

Careful what you read on the internet.  I googled my way around and it led me to some real dark places.  Whatever medical center you go with, listen to your doctors.  City of Hope has been remarkable, but there are high quality hospitals all over.  Are you in Texas?  If so, Anderson's reputation is top flight.  Just don't panic.  Do the work you're told to do.  Show up where they tell you.  And soon enough, god willing, it'll be behind you.  Peace to you and your wife.  You got this.

I hate new entries on this thread.  Fuck you cancer, you cunt.  

When I got diagnosed, I immediately googled everything and found out I was a coin flip to live or die.  When I got to MDAnderson, my docs said to knock that shit off because those stats are way outdated and I didn't know what to really read or how to understand it in any case.  Turns out they were more knowledgeable than me.  Don't google; ask doctors.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Basil said:

When I got diagnosed, I immediately googled everything and found out I was a coin flip to live or die.  When I got to MDAnderson, my docs said to knock that shit off because those stats are way outdated and I didn't know what to really read or how to understand it in any case.  Turns out they were more knowledgeable than me.  Don't google; ask doctors.

One of the other things that skews 5 yr. survival rate is the quality of care. In general, MD Anderson is gong to have much more success in treating a cancer than some random doc in Sinton.