Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I wouldnt get excited about any 5 star kid that is all about the league and has tOSU or Bama offers.  Chess to checkers at this point and those kids dgaf about the city, weather, or academic ranking.   We'll get there an Herman will know how to play it once he has enough chips to get to that table.

It's a different pitch with that class of talent and we don't have shit to lean on yet.  Mehringer isn't @ fault here, not saying he would have pulled it off with a good Texas program/recent results..  but he was packing nothing in this gun fight.

6 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

I wouldnt get excited about any 5 star kid that is all about the league and has tOSU or Bama offers

You mean 5* (or fringe guys) like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Jalen Green, Demarvion Overshown, Brennan Eagles, and Anthony Cook?

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You mean 5* (or fringe guys) like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Jalen Green, Demarvion Overshown, Brennan Eagles, and Anthony Cook?

offers and in the hunt then...  I'll requalify... I'm talking legitimate situations where it's down to us vs them.   We had our run where we could leverage things...  just dont have that clout and track record right now.

53 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I don't know how many of y'all go on r/cfb, but there's a brainwashed high school aggy who is basically aspiring to be the next Looch. I don't go on there much anymore because of how heavily modded it is, but the self-awareness of their fans on there is lower than normal for them.

Are you talking about the "list guy"?  I thought he got banned.

57 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I don't know how many of y'all go on r/cfb, but there's a brainwashed high school aggy who is basically aspiring to be the next Looch. I don't go on there much anymore because of how heavily modded it is, but the self-awareness of their fans on there is lower than normal for them.

6 minutes ago, skipmcgee said:

Are you talking about the "list guy"?  I thought he got banned.

Yeah, that guy. I think I already posted the link but maybe not on this site or in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/80aceh/call_your_shot_what_class_do_you_end_up_with_in/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I will be remembering this when you make your Hudson Card prognostications next cycle.

That's a bitchass move on your part. Fuck people who bitch when other people share what they know. It's a good way for people to decide not to do it anymore. Pussy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

Fuck that. I've had people do the same thing to me.

People can share what they know or not. It can be accurate at the time and not pan out. Meanwhile, there are a lot of people who were third chair piccolo in a 4A band who don't know shit and cry about people who do. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not actually pissed at L94. He's a generally good poster who has a blind spot when it comes to Lake Travis and Texas, and I was poking a bit of fun. He did provide useful information about Wilson other than where he was committing, and I appreciate that.

Also, when you make bold assertion of fact and the opposite comes true, you're going to get called out. If Herman whips something good up this fall and manages to flip Wilson, I will happily eat crow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He grew up in Columbus. It's not a JK Dobbins, fucking up a layup, situation. We'd all like Mehringer to be a better recruiter, but tOSU had a lot to work with here.

This.  Exposure to OSU as a kid is why he went there.  I remember as a kid listening, here in Texas, to the Yankees play the Reds in the World Series.  Fell in love with the Yankees and still a big fan.  Easy to see Wilson growing up and wanting to play for them.  We will be fine.  There are no guarantees regardless if where you pay.  

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This.  Exposure to OSU as a kid is why he went there.  I remember as a kid listening, here in Texas, to the Yankees play the Reds in the World Series.  Fell in love with the Yankees and still a big fan.  Easy to see Wilson growing up and wanting to play for them.  We will be fine.  There are no guarantees regardless if where you pay.  

Especially considering he saw them play in two Nat'l title games and many other BCS bowls during those years. 

While in Texas, he saw the end of Mack's era and Strong's broken bus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dad said:

Only way we flip Wilson is if he sees amazing QB play from Texas over the course of the season. We all know that's not likely to happen if we're being realistic.

Wilson is not going to flip, he made it very clear that this was gonna be his final decision. Move on, next man up.

• Like 1

Just now, dad said:

Only way we flip Wilson is if he sees amazing QB play from Texas over the course of the season. We all know that's not likely to happen if we're being realistic.

That isn't true. We just have to show we have a better offense than Ohio State. But all this pussy rubbing about Wilson is getting old. Next up. How are we looking with our Cali, GA, LA, and MO recruits?

Mike Roach: Observations from The Opening Dallas

—Texas commit Roschon Johnson had a good day passing the ball, and he won MVP for the quarterback position. Camps don’t typically suit Johnson’s skillset, but he showed much better mechanics today and used his lower body to drive the ball down the field. Johnson made good decisions in the team portion of the camp, and he delivered the ball in an accurate and timely fashion.

—Crandall offensive lineman Branson Bragg was a glaring omission from the top group of offensive linemen considering he had a very strong day in one-on-one reps. Bragg battled well with the elite defensive linemen in attendance, and he won his battles with technique and strength. Bragg is one of the best interior line prospects in the country, and he proved it against a loaded defensive line group.

—Camden (Ark.) Fairview OL Stacey Wilkins did make the final group of offensive linemen thanks to a dominant day on the edge. Wilkins is quick out of his stance, and he moved so well laterally that he was tough to beat with a speed rush. Wilkins used his wingspan to his advantage, and he showed a nasty attitude throughout the competition portion. Wilkins is looking more and more like an elite prospect in every camp setting, and he’s a potential monster once he puts the weight on.

—Baton Rouge (La.) Dunham School CB Derek Stingley proved today that he’s one of the best players in the country. The five-star prospect measured in at 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, and he timed 4.3 in the 40-yard dash. Stingley continued his sensational day by dominating the one-on-one portion and winning MVP for defensive backs. Stingley earned himself an invitation to the finals, and he will put his skills on display with the best players in the country.

—Fort Worth Nolan Catholic DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah made the top group on defensive line and won MVP honors. Osafo-Mensah earned a finals invitation after showing elite pass rush ability and explosion off of the edge. This is the best Osafo-Mensah’s looked this camp season, and he was a menace for the offensive linemen he was up against. Osafo-Mensah might grow in to a strong-side end, but he has the look of a dynamic and versatile defensive line prospect.

—Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon did what he always does at camp settings. He showed up and dominated in his reps. Catalon still needs to work on his man coverage skills, but he’s at his best when he can read-and-react as a defensive back in 7v7 drills. Catalon recorded several pass break ups and an interception during the day. He’s an ideal fit for the nickel or deep safety position.

—Amite (La.) Ishmael Sopsher is a massive human, but he moves like a much smaller one. The five-star prospect had a target on his back the entire day, but he didn’t let that stop him. Sopsher was unblockable during one-on-one drills, and he earned a finals invitation with his quickness and pass rush ability. Sopsher cemented his status as the best defensive tackle in the nation, and he should play early at whatever school he ends up at.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson continued his strong spring with a good day overall. Thompson is a big safety prospect, but he moves very well for his size. His offseason training is paying off as well, and he’s showing improved technique each time out. Thompson is only scratching the surface on his potential, and he’s developing into a centerfield prospect with great range and ball skills.

—Hebron safety Darius Snow is determined to prove he isn’t a linebacker, and he made a compelling case during defensive back drills and the competition portion. Snow came away with a few interceptions where he made strong reads on the ball and broke quickly. Snow is growing larger, so he might outgrow the position. That said, he’s still a very good box safety prospect.

—Kentwood (La.) wide receiver Trey Palmer was one of the best receivers on the field during the camp. Palmer shows so much explosion and bounce off of the line, and he transitions in and out of his breaks with fantastic burst. Palmer showed great ball skills and easy aerial ability. Palmer earned an invitation to the finals, and he tested very well.

• Like 2

E.J. Holland: QB/WR/DB recruiting notes from The Opening Dallas

— Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson, who was named QB MVP at the camp, is completely solid to Texas and is focused on recruiting other top targets to Austin. Johnson was the first commit of the commit of the cycle for the Longhorns. While he has heard from other schools, Johnson does not have open ears.

— Texas recently put an offer on the table for four-star 2020 quarterback/athlete Hudson Card. He played wide receiver for most of last season, so it will be interesting to see how he develops as a passer this year. Card said Texas is recruiting him as a quarterback right now but of course, he will have to impress this year. Either way, he’s a heck of an athlete. Texas is the early frontrunner.

— Five-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson still plans on making his decision tonight. Like I said yesterday, I expect the pick to be Ohio State. Wilson loved his trip to Columbus, and it doesn’t seem like the Longhorns did enough in his recruitment to win him over. It would definitely be surprising if he sided with UT.

— If Texas does miss on Wilson, it could go after rising wide receivers Jaylen Ellis and Langston Anderson. Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer will be by Round Rock Cedar Ridge to see Ellis on Monday, but his interest in the Longhorns has decreased due to the amount of time Texas is taking to offer. Anderson has been in contact with the staff and visited Austin for the spring game.

— Four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright remains very high on the Longhorns. His top group of schools at this time are Arkansas, Texas, Florida State and Alabama. Wright visited Texas twice this offseason, and his interest in the Longhorns is growing by the day. Wright has a strong relationship with Mehringer and plans to make a return visit at some point in the near future.

— Four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon made a surprise visit to Texas last weekend, and the Longhorns are emerging as the frontrunner in his recruitment. However, Catalon is still considering Arkansas, Ohio State, Clemson and TCU. He does not plan to make a decision until January.

— Five-star cornerback Derek Stingley is still set to make his official visit to Texas next weekend. Stingley has the Longhorns in his top three along with LSU and Florida. While Texas appears to be running third, the Longhorns obviously have a chance to make up ground during his OV.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar stopped by Waxahachie to see Texas A&M commit Demani Richardson last week. So do the Longhorns have a shot at flipping him from the Aggies? Well, Richardson hasn't completely cut off communication with Naivar and Texas, but he does not plan to make his way to Austin for a visit at this time. 

— Darius Snow, the nation’s top 2020 safety, enjoyed his recent visit to Texas for the spring game and is really building a bond with Naivar. Snow was sporting Texas gloves at the event, and the Longhorns are definitely making a big impression on his recruitment early on.

— Texas is continuing to evaluate rising defensive back Jonathan McGill. The Longhorns will see him in action during the evaluation period and contemplate extending an offer. The same goes for four-star 2020 cornerback RJ Mickens, who made a visit a couple of weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Wilson is not going to flip, he made it very clear that this was gonna be his final decision. Move on, next man up.

Yeah, the staff just needs to prove it can develop guys better than the last staff so we don’t miss out on next year’s Wilson.

23 minutes ago, Nope said:

I mean, he’s not wrong. Thanks Charlie/Mack.

That quote in particular struck me as unnecessary/petty from Wilson. My guess is Urban deliberately asked him to say something like that in his commitment statement, in order to reinforce his pitch to other Texas kids like Higgins.

It's no coincidence that this disgusting graphic has been making the rounds on Twitter.

image.png

I didn't think it was petty - it sounded honest. I'm sure a publicist would iron that out if he had the resources, but it's not like he's wrong. I honestly hope he does well.

And lol we'd make the same graphic if we had a similar track record of pulling Ohioans. I hate to say we'd do something aggy would, but that Arizona graphic was pretty great until it all curdled under Sumlin.

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That quote in particular struck me as unnecessary/petty from Wilson. My guess is Urban deliberately asked him to say something like that in his commitment statement, in order to reinforce his pitch to other Texas kids like Higgins.

It's no coincidence that this disgusting graphic has been making the rounds on Twitter.

Hide contents

image.png

Lol, that graphic is not the kind of thing you want Herman to see if you’re Meyer. This is a guy fueled by grudges. If we somehow end up playing them in a bowl game in the next few years, it might get ugly enough to send Urbs back into retirement.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm not going to hope that Wilson does well if he signs with Ohio State. That just strengthens arguments for Urban and coaches like him when they come into Texas and try to poach elite recruits.

I only want a kid's football career to go tits up if they go to aggy, OU or Baylor. Otherwise I just want us to win and make the rest of it all moot.

3 hours ago, futureman said:

the kid obviously feels a connection to ohio and wants to be there.  he’s not our problem in the big 10.  I’m happy for him.  

We play Ohio State in 2022 and 2023. There's always a chance he stays 4-5 years in Columbus. 

But like the others said, win and this isn't an issue. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Oh jesus fuck my eyes f;lkjcvfjasdg;kajdsfisdfa

I've never closed hidden content so quickly

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

You can talk about him being from Ohio all you want, but if our offense didn't suck ass, he'd be a Longhorn.  The defense has tangible evidence of improvement under Orlando, but the offense is still selling hope, and you can only sell hope for so long.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

You can talk about him being from Ohio all you want, but if our offense didn't suck ass, he'd be a Longhorn.  The defense has tangible evidence of improvement under Orlando, but the offense is still selling hope, and you can only sell hope for so long.

Edited by BevoBuck14

22 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Like one year?

29 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

nq4RIxC.gifWell I guess my photo posing failed... I was trying to attach a Tim Beck Obama Hope photoshop: https://imgur.com/nq4RIxC

Edited by BevoBuck14
photo link

I have no issue with a kid picking a school. He spent his first 12 years in Columbus and OSU is a cult there. He’s been here for 5 years and made a choice to go home I have zero issue with that and if a kid spent 12 years in Austin, left for 5 years and committed to Texas, we would all be happy. 

I do take issue with his shot about previous coaches.  We had a horrendous five years. But to make comments like that on your way out the door it was obvious to me he did that on behalf of Urban Meyer with the attempt to hurt Texas. All he had to say was “it was close and I love both schools but the opportunity to go home to Columbus was what swayed me.”  Done.  End of story and no one would have had an issue.  Saying he wouldn’t develop because of previous coaches was BS.  Funny thing is, the previous coach and the current coach are the reason Urban has 3 MNC’s.  Without them, he wouldn’t have won 1.  

He’s not changing his mind and we need to focus and other recruits. He made his choice and good luck. We start winning again and this is a mute point. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

We have a home-and-home with Ohio State in 2022-23. Should be really fun if both Herman and Meyer are still coaching at their current locations.

That's enough time for fuckhead Meyer to fake retire from fake health problems 3 or 4 times

11 hours ago, Street2Peschel said:

The loss of Leal is the one that still irritates me.  I just can't wrap my mind around what would possibly make a kid with unlimited options choose a team that has 0 success and/or history and is located in College Station.  You couldn't even pay me to live in that shit hole.

I was born and raised there, and even I eventually realized it sucked ass and the university was weird, even before my parents eventually told me about some of the racist shit that went over my head. I can't understand people from outside trying to move there.

Edited by Bevo14

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

I will be remembering this when you make your Hudson Card prognostications next cycle.

I was wrong and missed on the call. No excuses. Parents wanted him at Texas. He wanted to go to Texas. In the end, Ohio State did a better job recruiting him by persuading him to believe they do a better job developing players. OSU coaches also told him flat out that they think Baldwin is the future of the program and compared him favorably to the Texas Qbs on campus. The Texas staff is playing from behind the eight ball at Lake Travis but they are doing their best to correct that and develop a relationship with Coach Carter and staff. Will Stein definitely is helping mend those relationships. With Coach Stein as his new OC and the possibility of Card committing to Texas, I wouldn't completely close the book on this one. I can tell you the Texas staff is still somewhat hopeful with Wilson and will continue to recruit him hard, as they should. I wouldn't expect a flip but if we win and Hudson commits to Texas, I'm saying we have a chance...

As for Wilson as a prospect, he is a polished WR standing 6' and ran a 4.7 at last year's opening. LT had him at a 4.5. His best time in the 100m is 11.39. He isn't the fastest guy. He isn't the biggest guy. But he is fast enough and big enough. He is ready to go right now for the college game. He will step on campus and be the most polished and complete receiver at just about any school but certainly Texas. His best attributes are his route running, strong hands, and his ability to time his jumps to go get the ball. He goes and gets the ball better than any receiver I have seen. I don't think he is a better athlete than any of the receivers Texas currently has or has committed, but he is a better receiver than all of them. 

• Like 8