Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Chris Adimora testing results from LA Opening:

Ht. 6-1.5, wt. 192 lbs., 40Y 4.71, SH 4.30, PB 37.0, VJ 31.7, Sparq score = 93.21

I'm no expert, but 4.71 in the 40 seems awfully Leon O'Neal-ish for a DB. And didn't Kenyatta Watson throw up a Sparq in the 125 range? I'm way more about on field productivity than combine warriors and if I"m wrong please feel free to correct me, but those numbers are alarming. Somewhere Deunte Chapman's dad is about to stroke out.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'll say this - as critical as I've been of the way we recruit DL, I fucking love what we're doing at LB.

A Floyd, Davis, and Henry class (or sub in Gbenda for one of the latter two) with Tongue snuck in as an athlete/receiver who eventually moves to Rover would get the job done.

Not getting my hopes up for Bru yet. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

A Floyd, Davis, and Henry class (or sub in Gbenda for one of the latter two) with Tongue snuck in as an athlete/receiver who eventually moves to Rover would get the job done.

Not getting my hopes up for Bru yet. 

Could Davis be a DE?  Seems like his film is half DL/DE and half LB.  

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm no expert, but 4.71 in the 40 seems awfully Leon O'Neal-ish for a DB. And didn't Kenyatta Watson throw up a Sparq in the 125 range? I'm way more about on field productivity than combine warriors and if I"m wrong please feel free to correct me, but those numbers are alarming. Somewhere Deunte Chapman's dad is about to stroke out.

We made fun of Leon because he ran a 4.9 at one point; a low 4.7 is more forgivable, especially at the safety position where measurables are less important in the eval compered to most other position group; plus, that's a solid shuttle time 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Could Davis be a DE?  Seems like his film is half DL/DE and half LB.  

He could be a lot of things, although I'm not sure if he ends up with his hand in the ground most of the time. He's a baller though. 

E.J. Holland: Previewing a monstrous recruiting weekend at Texas

Official Visitors

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ) — Tight end is a need for Texas this recruiting cycle, and Liebrock is one of the most talented prospects on the board at the position. Texas hosted Liebrock for an unofficial visit earlier this offseason and has been making a quiet surge in his recruitment. While Ohio State is considered the favorite here, Texas has a legitimate opportunity to move the needle and become even more of a player in Liebrock’s recruitment. Texas has ties to the state of Arizona, specifically offensive coordinator Tim Beck, which could go a long way in this recruitment.

OL Tyler Johnson, Conroe Oak Ridge — One of the top overall targets this cycle, Johnson is a monster in the trenches and would fill a major need up front. The five-star prospect has been considered a heavy Texas lean for several months. He has made multiple unofficial visit this offseason and has built a strong relationship with offensive line coach Herb Hand. Oklahoma is considered the biggest threat here, and Johnson still wants to visit a couple of SEC schools before making a decision. But Texas has a chance to basically seal the deal with a strong official visit.

DE/OLB NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Fort Worth Nolan Catholic — A four-star prospect, Osafo-Mensah is down to Notre Dame and Texas and will make his decision on May 19. Osafo-Mensah already used his OV to Notre Dame, so Texas has a chance to make the final impression. Right now, we are hearing this race is now 50/50. Osafo-Mensah was originally recruited as an outside linebacker but will likely spin down, making him even more of an important target for Texas. Osafo-Mensah said relationships and academics are two huge factors, and Texas will hammer those home during his stay in Austin.

CB Derek Stingley, Dunham School (La.) — One of the country’s top cornerbacks, Stingley is making his way back to Texas for the first time since last summer. The Longhorns are currently running third in his recruitment and have some work to do. But this official visit could definitely improve UT’s stock. A Baton Rouge native, Stingley is considered an LSU lean for obvious reasons. But he is open to leaving Louisiana hence his strong interest in Florida and his intrigue when it comes to Texas.

ATH Makiya Tongue, University Lab (La.) — He doesn’t exactly get as much attention as other offered targets, but Tongue is a priority for the Longhorns this cycle. And Texas is considered the frontrunner in this recruitment. UT hosted Tongue and his father on an unofficial visit earlier this offseason and absolutely blew him away. While schools like Auburn and Clemson remain threats, Texas has a chance to really separate itself this weekend. Tongue prefers to play wide receiver at the next level, but he could transition to linebacker or safety.

Unofficial Visitors

QB Bryce Young, Mater Dei (Calif.) (2020) —The nation’s top dual-threat quarterback in 2020, Young is making his way to Austin for the second time this offseason. But this time around, he has an offer from the Longhorns in hand. Young said the scholarship from UT was meaningful, and the Longhorns are legitimate players in this recruitment.

CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (2020) —One of the top overall recruits in the state next cycle, McGlothern is a versatile defensive back that could play cornerback or safety in college. McGlothern visited Texas for junior day weekend in February and is high on the Longhorns along with LSU and Texas A&M early on.

Edited by satyanash

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Damn you guys are so busy arguing over whether to fire someone you have no way to get fired you didn't even bother to look up the young woman Jordan Whittington is apparently salivating over on twitter. It's like I don't even know you people anymore. 

200.gif

Wha.........?

29 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Seeing the value of recruiting the QB position yet? It was definitely a recruiting issue - you pass on Andrew Luck and RGIII for Gilbert Godfried, Case McCoy, and a bag of Ash rocks,  then you're going to get f'ing rocked.

I love what Herman has done with QB recruiting. And we f'd up evals, development, and roster management of QBs over the past ten years.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ) — Tight end is a need for Texas this recruiting cycle, and Liebrock is one of the most talented prospects on the board at the position. Texas hosted Liebrock for an unofficial visit earlier this offseason and has been making a quiet surge in his recruitment. While Ohio State is considered the favorite here, Texas has a legitimate opportunity to move the needle and become even more of a player in Liebrock’s recruitment. Texas has ties to the state of Arizona, specifically offensive coordinator Tim Beck, which could go a long way in this recruitment.

This is amusing, considering an Ohio State mod CB'd him to Texas a few days ago 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The thread policing shit is so fucking old it hurts. The status of the staff is directly related to recruiting. Coaching and talent acquisition are inexorable and claiming otherwise is either disingenuous or ignorant. 

You assholes have made me go and agree with ctj

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The thread policing shit is so fucking old it hurts. The status of the staff is directly related to recruiting. Coaching and talent acquisition are inexorable and claiming otherwise is either disingenuous or ignorant. 

I know it's Surly and all but, surely you mean inextricable, i.e. impossible to separate, not inexorable?

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

We made fun of Leon because he ran a 4.9 at one point; a low 4.7 is more forgivable, especially at the safety position where measurables are less important in the eval compered to most other position group; plus, that's a solid shuttle time 

To add to this, Adimora also isn't an agonizing douche jumping on twatter to insult the fellow safeties. Adimora isn't trashing Heisman contenders he'll never have to tackle. He isn't claiming he's the best prospect in the country.

Most of the reasons O'Neal wasn't welcome here was personality-based. He's a dickhead and belongs at aggy. I think he'll be a good football player and a shittastic human being.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Wha.........?

I can't find it but earlier in the thread someone posted a 9.95 update that had a blurb/joke about Jordan tweeting too much at a woman on twitter. I forget her name but that gif is her. 

23 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

To add to this, Adimora also isn't an agonizing douche jumping on twatter to insult the fellow safeties. Adimora isn't trashing Heisman contenders he'll never have to tackle. He isn't claiming he's the best prospect in the country.

Most of the reasons O'Neal wasn't welcome here was personality-based. He's a dickhead and belongs at aggy. I think he'll be a good football player and a shittastic human being.

TO 2.0. Without the talent. 

44 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I know it's Surly and all but, surely you mean inextricable, i.e. impossible to separate, not inexorable?

Probably. I’ve been on a beach in Costa Rica all day. My $10 word choices will tend to degrade like anyone else’s with enough sun and booze. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Probably. I’ve been on a beach in Costa Rica all day. My $10 word choices will tend to degrade like anyone else’s with enough sun and booze. 

You're in Costa Rica and you've probably spent at least an hour of your day in an internet slap fight?  I should neg you for that, but it's a power move so I can't hate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, the Pacific beaches in CR are not Pura Vida, but what the fuck are you doing on surly?

E.J. Holland: Five-star OL Tyler Johnson goes in-depth on Texas, upcoming OV

Horns247's EJ Holland caught with five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson to get his thoughts on Texas, the recruiting process and more. Here is the full Q&A. 

EJ: How has the offseason been going for you so far?

TJ: It’s been going great. This is the hardest offseason I’ve ever done. The harder it is, the better it gets, right? So I’m just working hard. I’m trying to improve my pass set and getting off the ball quickly. I’ve been watching film, and I’m trying to be first off the ball.

EJ: You’re a pretty low-key dude. Why do you rarely do interviews and stay off social media?

TJ: Honestly, I think a lot of skill guys are a little flamboyant and over the top. I don’t know. I just try to keep everything low-key and be off the radar. I come out of the dead sometimes. I get on your live streams and see what people are saying like when I didn’t show up to Texas because I was sick. I really was sick (laughs).

EJ: You have your official visit to Texas this weekend. How excited are you about this trip to Austin?

TJ: It’s going to be lit. I’m very excited, man. I did my first official visit to OU. It was a cool experience. I was a little nervous, but now, I know what’s up, so I won’t be as nervous this time at Texas. I just want to get to hang out with the players. I met most of the offensive line the last time I was there. We’re kind of building a relationship. One guy I would mention is Tope (Imade). I just want to see the dorms and social life and all that.

EJ: You and Tope do have pretty similar personalities. Can you expand a little more on your relationship with him?

TJ: We text each other and DM each other. I’m looking forward to hanging out with him on my official visit. We have a great relationship. He actually invited me to see the Avengers the day it came out. It didn’t work with my schedule, but I wish I would’ve gone. I still haven’t seen it yet, so no spoilers.

EJ: How hard is your teammate Joseph Ossai, who signed with Texas, recruiting you?

TJ: He’s recruiting me a lot. He’s my brother. Joseph and (preferred walk-on) Kamari (Williams) are trying to get me. They call it the big three (laughs).

EJ: What are your overall thoughts on Texas and the future of the program?

TJ: I think what they are doing with the facilities shows you a lot. I think they put in $11 million this past year. They are making a lot of improvements there. I know they had the No. 3 recruiting class in 2018. That shows that they are making moves. They might be at a national championship status in a few years. I like that it’s close to home, and they have Top 10 academics in the nation as a public school. Coach (Tom) Herman recruits you. Not a lot of head coaches do, but he texts you and calls you.

EJ: New Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand has made you a priority since arriving on campus. What are your impressions of him?

TJ: He followed me at Auburn, but he never really recruited me. When he got to Texas, he sent me a text saying that he was going to be the new offensive line coach. We started talking on the phone and then I finally got to meet him. It felt like we instantly clicked.

EJ: You got to see Hand coach the offensive line at the spring game. What were your takeaways from watching the group?

TJ: The offensive line had their own jerseys — the black jerseys. Did you see them? They were sick. I hope they wear them this season. But I saw a lot of competition out there. Coach Hand showed me a playbook. He uses a lot of double teams, which I like because I get a lot of pancakes off those. Coach Hand is a really smart guy. He knows how to correlate things with the skill positions overall.

EJ: You mentioned you made an official visit to Oklahoma. How did that go and where do the Sooners stand in your recruitment?

TJ: I didn’t know what to expect because I didn’t know most of the players at OU. I only knew a couple of guys like Bookie (Readley-Hiles). But I got to meet some of the offensive line. Creed (Humphrey) and some of the guys showed me around. It was a lot of fun. I like OU.

EJ: What other schools are in the mix with Oklahoma and Texas?

TJ: There are definitely some other schools. I’m going to come out with my list this month. I don’t have any other official visits planned, but I might take some in the fall. Right now, I just want to keep going through the process. I’ll probably finalize things once the season is over. I want to check out some more SEC schools like Alabama, Florida and Georgia. I’m probably going to make some unofficial visits this summer.

EJ: What are going to be the biggest factors for you in your recruitment?

TJ: Definitely academics. That’s a key factor because football is going to end. You’re going to need your degree. I want to do something with science or engineering or in the medical field. And I just want to feel comfortable.

EJ: Nobody really knows you that well. So can you tell us more about yourself off the field?

TJ: I love to hang out with my friends. I actually bring my best friend to a lot of my Texas visits. I’ve moved a lot. I was born in Chicago. I moved to Atlanta then I moved to Maryland then I moved back to Chicago for a good 3-4 years. I moved back to Atlanta for 5-6 years. Then I moved to Houston going into eighth grade. I like them all. But I miss the snow and the deep-dish pizza in Chicago. I liked Georgia. Everything is bigger here in Texas. I probably like the people the best and the football.

EJ: Chicago deep-dish or Texas BBQ?

TJ: Deep-dish!

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The offensive line had their own jerseys — the black jerseys. Did you see them? They were sick. I hope they wear them this season.

And just like that, Tyler Johnson is no longer a take for the denizens of Surly.