Texas recruiting notes 2019

If Leal flips, it might be more astounding if he only flips once. I’m hoping this guy isn’t another Jordan Elliott.
Yeah, with those types you want to be the last school they commit to closest to actual signing day..

Then there are the A'shawn Robinson types who verbally commit to one school, (MBTF) silently flip to another (Fightin' Sabanators) without telling the first school..

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Yeah, with those types you want to be the last school they commit to closest to actual signing day..

Then there are the A'shawn Robinson types who verbally commit to one school, (MBTF) silently flip to another (Fightin' Sabanators) without telling the first school..

I had a glass of bourbon with breakfast and was super happy after that.  Stop shitting on my day.

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Can Texas flip elite DL DeMarvin Leal from A&M?

Texas made a supersonic boom on the recruiting trail this weekend. The Longhorns are playing host to Texas A&M commit and elite Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal. Remember, Leal was all but locked up to Texas before making an official visit to Texas A&M, and to the surprise of many, committing on the spot in College Station, giving the Aggies what appeared to be a huge recruiting win.

After all, Leal is arguably the top overall recruit in the state this cycle and is a dominant force in the trenches. Whichever school ultimately earns his signature is getting an impact player at a coveted position. While Texas A&M has a no visit policy under Jimbo Fisher — we heard an A&M pledge refused to get out of the car when his 7v7 team visited a school this offseason — Texas never gave up in his recruitment.

Tom Herman and Oscar Giles continued to work hard on Leal. Meanwhile, Jason Washington, his area recruiter and last year's Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, got more and more involved. On top of that, Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington is only strengthening his relationship with Leal’s mother. The fact that Washington, who saw Leal last week, and Carrington are hard at work in this recruitment gives the Longhorns more than just a puncher’s chance. 

As we’ve reported in the past, Leal’s mother is sold on the Texas program and would love for her son to be a stone’s throw away. This weekend is all about selling Leal. Keep in mind that this an official visit, so Leal will get an in-depth look at the program, spend extended time with the coaches and players and really get a feel for life in the city of Austin. So can Texas flip him? Only time will tell, but getting him on campus under the no visit policy is obviously a step in the right direction — so much so that I put my Crystal Ball flip pick in. And as we’ve learned in the past, trust Herman. He almost always comes through.

Happy Cinco De Leal.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Pic of Leal sitting behind the wheel of the famous lambo also Stingleyf358c09b946928aae484e511c5f74219.jpgb2019e1608f55f1704ac2508c73fd75d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

The fact that this car doesn't have cruise control leads me to believe with around 90% certainty that it is a 2015 model. Cruise control was first offered on the 2016 model and I highly doubt many people skipped ordering it, if for no other reason than to avoid having blank buttons staring back at them.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Texas made a supersonic boom on the recruiting trail this weekend. The Longhorns are playing host to Texas A&M commit and elite Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal. Remember, Leal was all but locked up to Texas before making an official visit to Texas A&M, and to the surprise of many, committing on the spot in College Station, giving the Aggies what appeared to be a huge recruiting win.

After all, Leal is arguably the top overall recruit in the state this cycle and is a dominant force in the trenches. Whichever school ultimately earns his signature is getting an impact player at a coveted position. While Texas A&M has a no visit policy under Jimbo Fisher — we heard an A&M pledge refused to get out of the car when his 7v7 team visited a school this offseason — Texas never gave up in his recruitment.

Tom Herman and Oscar Giles continued to work hard on Leal. Meanwhile, Jason Washington, his area recruiter and last year's Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, got more and more involved. On top of that, Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington is only strengthening his relationship with Leal’s mother. The fact that Washington, who saw Leal last week, and Carrington are hard at work in this recruitment gives the Longhorns more than just a puncher’s chance. 

As we’ve reported in the past, Leal’s mother is sold on the Texas program and would love for her son to be a stone’s throw away. This weekend is all about selling Leal. Keep in mind that this an official visit, so Leal will get an in-depth look at the program, spend extended time with the coaches and players and really get a feel for life in the city of Austin. So can Texas flip him? Only time will tell, but getting him on campus under the no visit policy is obviously a step in the right direction — so much so that I put my Crystal Ball flip pick in. And as we’ve learned in the past, trust Herman. He almost always comes through.

Happy Cinco De Leal.

A San Antonio-based poster on IT said that Texas coaches visited Leal twice in the past week. Probably should have gotten Jason Washington involved in this recruitment from the start.

Just now, Machinator said:

A San Antonio-based poster on IT said that Texas coaches visited Leal twice in the past week. Probably should have gotten Jason Washington involved in this recruitment from the start.

He said Washington was the one who visited 2x, right? Which implies Giles may be taking a backseat in this recruitment.

6 minutes ago, SLChorn said:

The fact that this car doesn't have cruise control leads me to believe with around 90% certainty that it is a 2015 model. Cruise control was first offered on the 2016 model and I highly doubt many people skipped ordering it, if for no other reason than to avoid having blank buttons staring back at them.

Lack of cruise control is not our standard.  I hope this blatant lack of alignment doesn’t cost us a star recruit. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think Washington is the area recruiter for the SA area.  He was the main one on the Sterns recruitment last cycle.

14 minutes ago, SLChorn said:

Cool

3 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Boat shoes...put him in the calculator.

The most glaring thing about that photo.

I almost posted after seeing that, but was about 3 pages behind and didn't know if it had been mentioned several times.

NO ONE who wears those shoes can honestly feel comfortable in College Station. Sometimes obvious is obvious. Opposites don't always attract.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Happy Cinco De Leal.

Any guesses on the aggy commit who wouldn't get out of the car at another school?  I say Williams.

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I thought we were only allowed to let Giles recruit defensive linemen

36 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He said Washington was the one who visited 2x, right? Which implies Giles may be taking a backseat in this recruitment.

Uhhh, yeah, man. That was said on here yesterday and is exactly what happened. Giles has done this now two cycles in a row. He talked up how in the bag Tatum was and this time around with Leal. Other people had to intervene. I’m curious if this is addressed in the future with top DL targets or not. Until then, Giles does a great Lucy to the Hernancipator’s Charlie Brown. 

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Anyone who won't even get out of his car because of Jimbo's no-visit policy is a little bitch tailor made for aggy.

Right.  

He might be a candidate for their fake army.  

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any guesses on the aggy commit who wouldn't get out of the car at another school?  I say Williams.

Forget who it was, but was at the end of last cycle. Probably SlO'Neal not wanting to lose his spot, team was on the way to a 7 on7 tourney. 

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

I thought we were only allowed to let Giles recruit defensive linemen

Lulz. Do you really want to be making this argument when a guy who was our top DL target for the entire class is committed to A&M?   Herman shouldn’t wait until the guy is already committed elsewhere to get another coach involved, and Carrington, while great, can only do so much without being able to visit.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. Do you really want to be making this argument when a guy who was our top DL target for the entire class is committed to A&M?   Herman shouldn’t wait until the guy is already committed elsewhere to get another coach involved, and Carrington, while great, can only do so much without being able to visit.

If I'm making an argument, I guess it is that I'm just glad that they let other folks help in the recruitment of DL recruits.