Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If the staff thought we had a shot at Sanders, wouldnt’t they like, be there or something when he visited? 

It's pretty normal on UVs for a lot of the staff to be out on prior commitments (they're all at camps this weekend for example).

Shows you how much of the show is run by the support staff like Carrington and Langi. 

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT and 247. TFB remains silent after starting this whole thing.

14 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Justin Wells IT for one. 

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Does getting info from the coaching staff not count as having connections to the program?

Those sites just showed you they were either used lazily and carelessly by the staff, revealing that they have almost no value or they’re so disconnected from the going’s on inside of the football program that they don’t even have a source to invalidate the most absurd of rumors. 

Herman, whatever his flaws, speaks to very few media outsiders about recruiting, and has punished staff brutally for doing so. Wyatt isn’t on this staff in part because of talking he did in their last year at Houston. 

IT and 24/7 obviously have dealings with recruits, parents, players on campus, and street agents. This is known. What’s also been obvious is that they have dick-all for resources inside the staff. Chang or BC had to have laughed about this one. It’s pretty obvious the street agent is the tail wagging the dog for some of these guys. EJ Holland is damn near a pimp for street agents. It appears that Wells isn’t much better. 

But hey, that’s using awareness and common sense. Maybe I am wrong and Texas is pursuing serial rapists with IQs hovering around 75 and street agents draped all over them. I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 1

I dont know why I thought if this just now (maybe it was because of the idea of a head coach changing his travel plans to accomidate a top Florida recruit) but remember when Fred Rouse dropped in for a visit? He apparently showed up smelling of pot and stoned off his balls and that was the end of that recruitment.  

Just now, Newy25 said:

If we thought Sanders was a legit option I would bet Herman, Beck and Hand would also be there to put the full court press on. 

Not at this stage. Herman is only gonna be really involved when you start talking to profs about classes, direction of the program, stuff with the family - how to grow the man from the boy, how the university benefits you regardless of football. For a meeting like this you'll get position specific stuff (film study - chalk talk, etc ) as well as meeting with Yancey (or his team), the nutritionist,  and a lot of other player-centric between the stipes type conversations and then some time with several players to get a feel for them and for them to get a feel for you. No need to take those next steps if there's problems here (and we can look to several guys in the past few classes that didn't pass the smell test from the current players). 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Not at this stage. Herman is only gonna be really involved when you start talking to profs about classes, direction of the program, stuff with the family - how to grow the man from the boy, how the university benefits you regardless of football. For a meeting like this you'll get position specific stuff (film study - chalk talk, etc ) as well as meeting with Yancey (or his team), the nutritionist,  and a lot of other player-centric between the stipes type conversations and then some time with several players to get a feel for them and for them to get a feel for you. No need to take those next steps if there's problems here (and we can look to several guys in the past few classes that didn't pass the smell test from the current players). 

I agree that is the normal protocol but this is not a normal recruit. My guess is if they were not already committed somewhere else he would be getting a lot of attention from Herman.  

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I agree that is the normal protocol but this is not a normal recruit. My guess is if they were not already committed somewhere else he would be getting a lot of attention from Herman.  

Even if he's amazing between the stripes if he's not a culture fit this staff isn't going to waste time with him. They are not going to roll out a red carpet for an unknown commodity. It's simply not how this org works. They had a much better handle on Bru McCoy as a person and culture fit and still ran him through his UOV the same as anyone else. It's a process and no one is above it.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Just want to say I appreciate your insight on these things. Normally I'd just pos-rep you, but I'm all out after negging the trolls on the baseball board.

E.J. Holland's Weekend nuggets: Intel on five-star recruit; upcoming visitor

— Four-star Grayson (GA) cornerback Kenyatta Watson II is making his way back to Austin for an unofficial visit next weekend, per his father. While schools like Baylor, Ohio State and TCU have reached out, Watson remains completely solid to the Longhorns. Right now, Watson is more focused on rehab as he had to get a scope on his right shoulder due to loose cartilage. However, he should be fine moving forward.

— As we first reported, five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders is on campus today for an unofficial visit. So does Texas have a shot here? I kind of want to take a risk and put in a CB for the Longhorns. After all, he has a great relationship with Stan Drayton and believes he can get him ready for the NFL. Sanders also has a person he is very close to that lives in Dallas and is very open to leaving the state of Florida. This one is more real than you think, especially now that he's made it to campus.

— LSU linebacker commit Marcel Brooks was the other recruit slated to make it to campus this weekend. However, Brooks had some transportation issues and did not make his way to Austin. It seems like there is some renewed interest in Brooks, so he is definitely a prospect to keep an eye on moving forward.

— I am told that Texas is very interested in four-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks and could be close to putting an offer on the table. Ricks is ranked as the nation’s No. 2 cornerback and holds scholarships from a slew of major programs.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

— As we first reported, five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders is on campus today for an unofficial visit. So does Texas have a shot here? I kind of want to take a risk and put in a CB for the Longhorns. After all, he has a great relationship with Stan Drayton and believes he can get him ready for the NFL. Sanders also has a person he is very close to that lives in Dallas and is very open to leaving the state of Florida. This one is more real than you think, especially now that he's made it to campus.

Exhibit A for why crystal balls are mostly useless, especially those coming from EJ.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Be nice to get Floyd in and bring some Cali. recruits with him.

That'd be rad. Bryson Washington is supposed to come in, right? (a Cali transplant, but still maybe he'll get some guys as well).  -- and Mookie Cooper from STL (and his twitter feed is still all Texas). 

Do. Want. x 2. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

That'd be rad. Bryson Washington is supposed to come in, right? (a Cali transplant, but still maybe he'll get some guys as well).  -- and Mookie Cooper from STL (and his twitter feed is still all Texas). 

Do. Want. x 2. 

Mookie Cooper and Jake Smith in back to back classes would be unbelievable. Along with stabilizing the OL, I think the two things Herman needs to find are a true dual threat QB and a Percy Harvin/Curtis Samuel type to truly unlock this offense. Based on recent recruiting, it's looking like both those are happening.

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sanders is trending towards Bama, fwiw 

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sanders is trending towards Bama, fwiw 

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Why havent we shown more interest in Ainias Smith?

Probably because of Jake Smith. WR is stacked every year, nationwide and especially in TX. We're going to pass up really good WRs every year that other schools like TCU will nab and make us regret passing on but there's not much we can do. There's a ton of them and we only have so many spots.  Us having a functioning offense would also do a lot to soften that blow.

E.J. Holland: Tom Herman embracing competition as in-state recruiting war wages on

There is no way around it. Texas won the state last recruiting cycle as it landed 11 of the top 15 in-state prospects. However, it just seemed like everything just fell into place for the 2018 class. In 2017, the Longhorns landed just one Top 20 in-state recruit as schools like Ohio State, LSU and Stanford had more success with top end talent. This cycle, Texas is on the cusp of entering the Top 10 in the national recruiting rankings but has had to rely on sealing the deal with a number of out-of-state targets. Meanwhile Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, under new head coach Jimbo Fisher, have all made their presence felt in recent months.

“There is and there always will be competition in the state of Texas,” Herman told Horns247. “The days of the University of Texas just going out and picking 25 players are not real anymore, especially in the social media age, where all these out-of-state programs can have a presence in front of these kids. But that’s okay. Competition makes you better. Those other programs are doing a great job. We feel like we’re doing a great job. There is definitely enough talent in the state of Texas and surrounding states as well as nationally.”

Texas has a pair of Top 10 in-state recruits committed in Jordan Whittington and Tyler Johnson and is in the thick of things with Lewis Cine and Texas A&M pledge DeMarvin Leal, so there is still an opportunity for the Longhorns to take back the Lone Star State. But as Herman said, he is perfectly content going out-of-state as well. Of UT’s nine verbal pledges, four hail from other states, including national Top 150 prospects De’Gabriel Floyd and Jake Smith, so there is no reason for any type of concern.

Texas is doing just fine on the trail. With some wins on the field this season, UT’s recruiting momentum will only continue to skyrocket both in the state of Texas and across the country. “When kids see the testimony that you can come and compete championships, get trained for the NFL and also get a Top 10 public education, there is no ceiling for this program,” Herman said.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cliffs? I can't stand the sound of EJ's voice. 

You might as well just watch it. He talks about Trey Sanders' visit, says we're still in it for Noah Cain and that he'll uOV here soon, gives a shout-out to Coach Flight as "one of the best trainers in the nation", mentions that Alabama is still in a good spot with Christian Harris if he doesn't commit while visiting A&M, and that Texas is out of OVs and can't give one to Marcus Washington but he still likes Texas & BC a lot, etc. etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

You might as well just watch it. He talks about Trey Sanders' visit, says we're still in it for Noah Cain and that he'll uOV here soon, gives a shout-out to Coach Flight as "one of the best trainers in the nation", mentions that Alabama is still in a good spot with Christian Harris if he doesn't commit while visiting A&M, and that Texas is out of OVs and can't give one to Marcus Washington but he still likes Texas & BC a lot, etc. etc.

Doing the Lord's work there. Thanks. 

So Rian Davis is the final early official visit. Who was the second to last? 

My understanding is the Texas staff is all in on Washington after losing Garrett Wilson.