Sooner truck driver almost nukes Idaho

Zavala

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/semitruck-crash-that-closed-i-90-friday-night-was-carrying-16-2000-pound-missiles/

A semitruck that crashed on Interstate 90 shutting down both directions of the road Friday night was carrying 16 2,000-pound missiles, according to a news release from Idaho State Police (ISP).

The driver, Mark W. Dearinger, 47, of Chickasha, Oklahoma, was cited for inattentive driving. He was not injured in the crash.

At about 7:14 p.m., Dearinger was driving through an eastbound Idaho Transportation Department checkpoint and accidentally drove into a hazmat containment area instead of merging back on to I-90, ISP reported. He drove to the end of the containment area and over a large snow bank, disabling the truck, according to the news release.

Fairchild Air Force Base assisted emergency personnel by sending three explosive-ordnance-disposal technicians to the scene, although the semitruck involved did not have a direct relationship with the base. Multiple attempts to contact Fairchild for more information went unanswered Saturday.
I-90 was closed for about two hours.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SquishMitten said:
So we have civilian truck drivers cruising around with bombs. Not part of a military convoy. There’s a fun fact I didn’t need to learn.

You should have been around during Vietnam. One truck hauling torpedoes lost control and crashed in the mousetrap in Denver. It was a huge deal.
My Dad hauled 500 lb bombs all the time.

Found a link to the story. Looks like it was in the 80's not 70's.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/01/01/An-inexperienced-driver-caused-the-crash-of-a-torpedo-laden/3384504939600/

Edited by RPM
found a link
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, SquishMitten said:

So we have civilian truck drivers cruising around with bombs. Not part of a military convoy. There’s a fun fact I didn’t need to learn.

A few years back I was driving on 183 in north Austin and was passed by a tanker truck with hazard warning signs - it was carrying phosgene.