Roof Repair

dad

So in an attempt to cut down my own tree in the backyard I let a large branch fall on the roof accidentally and now I have a larger than a quarter size hole that went all the way through the plywood. I take it that I won't be able to repair this myself with supplies from home depot? How much should I expect to pay for this repair in DFW so I can accurately judge estimates? 

1 hour ago, dad said:

So in an attempt to cut down my own tree in the backyard I let a large branch fall on the roof accidentally and now I have a larger than a quarter size hole that went all the way through the plywood. I take it that I won't be able to repair this myself with supplies from home depot? How much should I expect to pay for this repair in DFW so I can accurately judge estimates? 

Paging @ROLFBOX

9 hours ago, dad said:

Also what is the proper repair? Would they cut out the plywood in a perfect circular shape and replace it with another piece of wood with that shape with some kind of adhesive on the perimeter?

No.  No one try to cut plywood in a circular shape and use adhesive.

The shingles should be carefully removed at the damaged area, the felt paper removed, the damaged  plywood decking gets cut from rafter to rafter at the affected area and a new piece gets nailed in place.  Reverse skate and put back all of the material that was just removed.  New shingles, felt paper and plastic cement will be required.   

Have your husband should call a roofing company and have them repair the problem.  

No.  No one try to cut plywood in a circular shape and use adhesive.
The shingles should be carefully removed at the damaged area, the felt paper removed, the damaged  plywood decking gets cut from rafter to rafter at the affected area and a new piece gets nailed in place.  Reverse skate and put back all of the material that was just removed.  New shingles, felt paper and plastic cement will be required.   
Have your husband should call a roofing company and have them repair the problem.  

Thank you dear. Expected cost range?

Assuming standard laminate dimensional shingles (GAF Timberline or similar) and a normal slope roof (5/12 pitch up to 8/12 pitch), you would be looking at $325-$400.  

Oddball designer shingle and a steep roof, the price will go up.  Any other oddity particular to your problem (hole is in or near a valley, at a hip or ridge, etc.) will drive up the price.  

Also, any roofer worth his salt will caulk your combustible air pipe kits that go through your roof from your water heater and furnace and maybe paint them for you while they are there.  We do in Houston. 

@ROFL BOX

For a small hole a patch would work.  I would probably remove the offending shingles and and cut an "X shape" with the hole being the center into the felt.  That way I can fold the existing felt out of the way without removing completely.  Most likely I would used bondo to fill the hole as it's like cement once dry. I would tack up a piece of wood or small piece of sheet metal from the underside of the hole in roof, to give me something to push the bondo in against, to make sure I filled the hole completely with bondo. Then I sand (if needed) and seal over the repair with roofing "tar" or rubberized sealant, use a small patch of felt over the bondo, then, fold "X shape" cut felt back over new felt patch, seal seams of "X" with more sealant then reshingle the small area.

What may be your biggest problem is trying to match the shingles, as once they start aging it's nearly impossible to match.There's your hillbilly engineering fix!

Edited by horn4life

@deadshank is correct in his breakdown.

Assuming the hole is no more than 4" x 4", you still should do it proper & cut back rafter to rafter (L to R) & then maybe a total vertical cut of 12".  I'd prob. go one step further & add a bonus 2x4 to each side of the existing truss so there's a bit more bite for the nails & it's stiff enough.

The shingles should be removed probably 2 courses above the hole & saved where possible for reuse; remove shingles below the hole to facilitate the full 12" decking removal & replacement.

The price Dead listed is also pretty accurate.  You're essentially buying 1/2 a day of labor + parts.

Or, you could FlexSeal that shit & eventually it will end up on one of our FB roofing pages where we can ridicule you.

• Like 1

Had one local roofer in the neighborhood come by and his estimate was right along what you guys said:

" I gave two options. The easiest would be to cover the hole with metal which would probably be good enough as long as nothing ever hit the hole directly. But the best fix would be to replace the decking.

Roof: cover hole with metal and replace damaged shingles. $170.

Roof: replace damaged decking, underlayment and shingles. $370"

Then I got my second estimate from the roofing company who just replaced my roof less than a year ago and they only suggested the decking replacement type repair for $220. Now it seems too cheap based on the other data points but they might be hooking me up because I just gave them thousands of dollars for the roof repair and I'm a repeat customer. So of course being the cheap ass that I am im going with the guys who originally did my roof recently. They will easily have the matching shingles of course.

You could get “matching” shingles from the same place they are gonna buy them. I bet there’s a little color difference though. It’s not like they bout enough from one run to save some in anticipation of this.

I doubt they are cutting you a break either.

Well hopefully the reason that it's seemingly so cheap isn't that they are going to cut corners. I don't see how much money could be saved cutting corners on such a small job when all of the supplies are pretty cheap.

I'm not too worried about the shingles not matching perfectly since it's been less than a year that this roof was redone. I'm more concerned about structural integrity and it not ever leaking in the distant future.

I'm thinking it's a 75% or better chance that you have a shingle color called "Weathered Wood".  All mfg.'s state to not mix differing lot #'s or production runs & I will bet you Bob Stoops pussy with BarrySwitzer's fingers stuck in it that the co. who installed your roof didn't save any leftovers from your prior job.

Maybe whomever came out is doing you a solid with the repair price; either way, look @ the underside of the roof deck from the attic & you'll see where the new piece of wood is located & from the outside, you'll probably spot the new shingle.  It's really that simple.

• Like 1