Xavier @ Texas Series

zlavydra

5 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

He was just like the rest of us ... riding on Kody Clemens’ coattails. 

I hope you aren't serious. 

Texas won the Big 12/made the CWS and you think 1 player carried the entire team? Some of ya'll would think Red Auerbach sucked. If you aren't giving Pierce credit for last year it's going to be nearly impossible to please you. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Now please Pierce, end the Kam Fields "experiment".

Sample size. Big. Enough

'Shart' kept getting chances by Pierce and ended up the season pretty salty last year. 

Kam will likely get more chances as well.  He has it, good stuff,  but needs to settle down and get his fastball located.  The curve and slider were wicked when they weren't in the dirt. 

Tough to watch the gags for sure.  Glad the team picked him up tonight.

Edited by zork

21 minutes ago, zork said:

'Shart' kept getting chances by Pierce and ended up the season pretty salty last year. 

Kam will likely get more chances as well.  He has it, good stuff,  but needs to settle down and get his fastball located.  The curve and slider were wicked when they weren't in the dirt. 

shart wasn't nearly this wild. he might not be able to learn it but he needs a straight change.  if you can't locate the fastball you aren't really a pitcher but if pierce is going to pitch him he better put a lot of work in with him.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

shart wasn't nearly this wild. he might not be able to learn it but he needs a straight change.  if you can't locate the fastball you aren't really a pitcher but if pierce is going to pitch him he better put a lot of work in with him.

agreed.  maybe mr Texas hall of famer(headed to Waco tomorrow to accept his award) in the booth can talk to him, work him through his yips.(Zeke) 

something didn't look right on the TCU friday night with his FB.  the angle was way too steep then he just got wild.  

Pierce was right to try and give him chances to reconcile.  Using the right back on the horse mentality hasn't quite worked.(clearly) 

Hopefully he can get him fixed.  

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I hope you aren't serious. 

Texas won the Big 12/made the CWS and you think 1 player carried the entire team? Some of ya'll would think Red Auerbach sucked. If you aren't giving Pierce credit for last year it's going to be nearly impossible to please you. 

auerbach sucked he just had Bill Russell

• Like 1

Re: Kam

Tonight he went walk on 4 straight. 2 more balls then HBP. Then he had some good curves before missing with the FB again.

Big difference between that and Shart.

I’m not a coach or manager I don’t know how to help guys bridge that mental gap. How does Lidge go from set-up to hero closer. To fucked so bad we’re trading him. To WS save hero. To 5+ ERA. That’s all based on a guy hanging his fastball when his mind wasn’t right.

Fields can’t locate his fastball currently in mid-low pressure set-up man role. I don’t know how you help him with that without blowing games. Tuesday night middle reliever?

In Pierce's defense(no pun intended)losing your upperclassmen All Big 12 level catcher and SS, who are also probably 2 of your 3 best hitters, is a killer.  I'm just befuddled that our hitting from the other players is still bad.

the starters are generally sharp.  he has to find 3 relievers he can count on somewhat and bring them up.

that said a Texas team should make the tournament.  losing to UTSA/UIW/etc is not good.  I'm not expecting Omaha or even a Super Regional.  Hosting a regional is probably the top end for this team currently constructed.

12 minutes ago, zork said:

agreed.  maybe mr Texas hall of famer(headed to Waco tomorrow to accept his award) in the booth can talk to him, work him through his yips.(Zeke) 

something didn't look right on the TCU friday night with his FB.  the angle was way too steep then he just got wild.  

Pierce was right to try and give him chances to reconcile.  Using the right back on the horse mentality hasn't quite worked.(clearly) 

Hopefully he can get him fixed.  

in regards to his FB.  yes I think it is too steep.  It looks like they are forcing his arm to that slot.  I know pros want to see the "down-angle" as Zeke calls it but it may not be his natural best motion.  no, I'm not pretending I know more about baseball and pitching than pierce, just a very amateur observation.

1 hour ago, zork said:

He has zero idea where the ball is going.

I can pull out examples of other guys who've been given chances who never did anything.

Kam is not a guy who the light bulb is gonna come on one day.  He's all over the place.  Ain't gonna change.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I can pull out examples of other guys who've been given chances who never did anything.

Kam is not a guy who the light bulb is gonna come on one day.  He's all over the place.  Ain't gonna change.

LSU says hello,  

"Kamron Fields entered in relief of Elder with the tying run at first base to earn his first career save after blanking LSU in 2.1 innings of work, walking two and striking out one."

Who knows if Fields ever becomes consistent but I don’t know why we always do this with young players. 

The player that “carried Pierce last year” (cough cough VirginiaHorn) hit .241 and .242 with 10 combined HRs in his first two years. 

Development takes time for different players.

There are examples both ways in terms of development but Pierce sees something in Fields. Fields has great movement on his stuff if he can ever figure out how to locate it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Only 1 team has played more Q1 games so far than Texas:

Oregon State 15 (11-3-1)

Texas 14 (9-5)

Miss State 14 (10-4)

Gonzaga 13 (7-6)

Vanderbilt 12 (9-3)

UNC 12 (7-5)

Miami 12 (4-8)

Oregon 11 (3-8)

Georgia Tech 11 (6-5)

Florida 11 (4-7)

Auburn 10 (6-4)

Ole Miss 10 (3-7)

Only the top 40 RPI teams included here. Didn't look past that. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, zork said:

Pierce must feel like getting Kam right is critical for the late season success of this 2019 team.  Agree that at times Kam has good stuff when he's locating his pitches better.  Just really difficult to watch this poor spell Kam is currently going through.

Hell it's been difficult watching this whole team over the last few weeks...... Pierce certainly has his work cut out for himself with this year's team.  But I love how this team doesn't quit..... they have certainly shown great grit and fire late in several games.

Love Texas Baseball.... 🤘

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Caston Peter has 5 hits in 11 ABs and 8 RBI in the last 5 games. He looked like a FR to start the year but I think he's a decent hitter. 

They need to find a way to get him more opportunities. 

It would be great if Zubia or Peters could play a few games at 1st base ...... need both their bats in the lineup for certain games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Who knows if Fields ever becomes consistent but I don’t know why we always do this with young players. 

The player that “carried Pierce last year” (cough cough VirginiaHorn) hit .241 and .242 with 10 combined HRs in his first two years. 

Development takes time for different players.

There are examples both ways in terms of development but Pierce sees something in Fields. Fields has great movement on his stuff if he can ever figure out how to locate it. 

Spring allergies?

It’s clear my comment was directed to Kody’s season last year ... not the previous two.  If you choose to believe he didn’t carry the team to the conference championship and CWS, be my guest.  

5 hours ago, petscii said:

LSU says hello,  

"Kamron Fields entered in relief of Elder with the tying run at first base to earn his first career save after blanking LSU in 2.1 innings of work, walking two and striking out one."

Yes, and Lousiana, Stanford (twice), TCU (twice), and Xavier would like to have a word right back.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Pierce must feel like getting Kam right is critical for the late season success of this 2019 team.  Agree that at times Kam has good stuff when he's locating his pitches better.  Just really difficult to watch this poor spell Kam is currently going through.

Hell it's been difficult watching this whole team over the last few weeks...... Pierce certainly has his work cut out for himself with this year's team.  But I love how this team doesn't quit..... they have certainly shown great grit and fire late in several games.

Love Texas Baseball.... 🤘

They have no problem in the effort department and that is a huge feather in Pierce's cap.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Caston Peter has 5 hits in 11 ABs and 8 RBI in the last 5 games. He looked like a FR to start the year but I think he's a decent hitter. 

Caston is going to be a damned fine player..  Dude has the tools.

Just needs a few more cheeseburgers and some experience.

LMFAO at Housinger crying about the called 3rd strike in the 9th. Just because you're all crouched and bent over at the plate, that doesn't mean your strike zone gets smaller, or at least it's not supposed to. And when you're all crouched like that, it makes the pitch look higher to you. When he's standing up, that ball is below his belt.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It would be great if Zubia or Peters could play a few games at 1st base ...... need both their bats in the lineup for certain games.

I remember Caston playing third at Stratford a few times.  Not sure he’s ever played first. Zubia looks like a textbook first basemen except for being right handed. 

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Spring allergies?

It’s clear my comment was directed to Kody’s season last year ... not the previous two.  If you choose to believe he didn’t carry the team to the conference championship and CWS, be my guest.  

What happened in year 3 after two average to below average years? 

Its almost like Pierce played a role in the development of both the Clemens brothers. 

Your narrative of “Pierce riding the coattails of Clemens” is funny since neither could hit until Pierce became the coach. Kacy was decent his JR year prior to Pierce. 

Kacy wasn’t a great hitter until year one under Pierce. Kody couldn’t hit a lick until his JR year in year 2 under Pierce and I bet you would have seen progression his Sophomore year if not for injuries. 

Dismissing what Pierce accomplished last year because of this narrative is laughable. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I remember Caston playing third at Stratford a few times.  Not sure he’s ever played first. Zubia looks like a textbook first basemen except for being right handed. 

I would put Caston at catcher and get him the reps as he is the only returning catcher next year.

Zubia is a DH for a reason.

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Its almost like Pierce played a role in the development of both the Clemens brothers. 

Your narrative of “Pierce riding the coattails of Clemens” is funny since neither could hit until Pierce became the coach. Kacy was decent his JR year prior to Pierce. 

Kacy wasn’t a great hitter until year one under Pierce. Kody couldn’t hit a lick until his JR year in year 2 under Pierce and I bet you would have seen progression his Sophomore year if not for injuries. 

Dismissing what Pierce accomplished last year because of this narrative is laughable. 

... and this year isn’t laughable? Who’s showing development this season .. pitching, hitting, defense?

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

14 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

... and this year isn’t laughable?

We're #16 in RPI. What world do you live in? I don't know why you think this year has been "laughable". 

We're a top 20 team, probably going to be top 15 in RPI after this weekend, and right in the mix to host a regional. Matter of fact, we're probably in better position currently than we were last year. This while losing 2 of our top 5 hitters and throwing a pitching staff that is primarily underclassmen. 

You have to be a troll. After you compared Pierce to Strong I was already questioning it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

I would put Caston at catcher and get him the reps as he is the only returning catcher next year.

Zubia is a DH for a reason.

Petrinsky is returning next year unless they plan on playing him only at 1B next year. 

Caston is already a better hitter than McCann. The issue is behind the plate. 

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Petrinsky is returning next year unless they plan on playing him only at 1B next year. 

Caston is already a better hitter than McCann. The issue is behind the plate. 

Caston is rapidly improving behind the plate.  I’m surprised.   He looked terrible against Stanford but he’s looked pretty solid in the couple of chances he’s had since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Caston is rapidly improving behind the plate.  I’m surprised.   He looked terrible against Stanford but he’s looked pretty solid in the couple of chances he’s had since. 

The Stanford series wasn't a great spot either after the McCann injury. Being thrown into the fire as a FR on the road against Stanford is about the worst possible situation for a player. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Pierce is a good coach who is having a bad stretch due to having to piece together this team on the fly and inflamed by being quite stubborn.  Maybe it pays off long run (end of season) and maybe not.  The Kam shit is mind numbing.  Dude needs to develop mound skills on the side not in day after day pressure situations where he predictably pours gas all over everything.  Not good for the team or his psyche.  He's all over the fucking place.

I just don't buy there's no one else w/his talent that needs some of the time on the bump that's being devoted to him.

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

I mean this is pretty ridiculous to say he’ll never change. Relievers figure it out all the time.

Now, whether he should be getting put in to crucial spots in conference games before the light goes on is a different story and I’m with you on that one.

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I can’t imagine he’s worse defensively than Shaw and Shaw is giving us nothing at the plate. He and McCann need to be spending more combined time at first than shaw moving forward.

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

... and this year isn’t laughable? Who’s showing development this season .. pitching, hitting, defense?

This is such a stupidly absurd comment. It’s truly impressive.

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean this is pretty ridiculous to say he’ll never change. Relievers figure it out all the time.

Now, whether he should be getting put in to crucial spots in conference games before the light goes on is a different story and I’m with you on that one.

I can’t imagine he’s worse defensively than Shaw and Shaw is giving us nothing at the plate. He and McCann need to be spending more combined time at first than shaw moving forward.

This is such a stupidly absurd comment. It’s truly impressive.

I should clarify.  He's not going to change anytime soon.  The guy needs time in practice and with the coaches just to dial it to a point where it makes sense to get into games again.  That can absolutely happen this yr, but where he is right now with lack of control, it's not just going to flip over the next couple of games where he's working the black and corners.  Sorry man, it's not and to intimate otherwise is absurd. (btw, you are not intimating this but some of the Rescue Rangers here are)

Let's not even discuss the mind fuck blowing game after game can do to a young guy like that.  At some point, and that was quite awhile ago, you acknowledge the "project" and admit that you gotta get a few bullets on the paper before you adjust windage and head out for big game.

Edited by Cajun