Israel

SmokeyBear1861

Sure. To be fair to Israel, Hamas was importing missiles in, for the purpose of firing regularly at Israeli population centers, so I get why they’re inspecting everything going into Gaza. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

Sure. To be fair to Israel, Hamas was importing missiles in, for the purpose of firing regularly at Israeli population centers, so I get why they’re inspecting everything going into Gaza. 

I'm not questioning the rationale for the inspections or the blockade at all. But did you ever read that article I posted showing that most of their missiles were home-built and a very large portion (if not most) of the explosive ordnance came from unexploded Israeli bombs over the years?

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, statsman said:

CR question, I guess. I get confused when people talk about “occupation”. 

Who believes the Palestinian peoples in Gaza and the West Bank are governed by the state of Israel?

Who believes they are not?

The idea that Israel "left Gaza" is a bullshit lie told to and by Western media outlets and politicians in order to provide cover for Israel to continue its stranglehold over the area and operate its open air prison without [enough] international outcry.

Yeah they were technically not militarily occupying it, but as should be obvious, that was just a temporary situation until they had a good enough excuse to roll back in there.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

The idea that Israel "left Gaza" is a bullshit lie told to and by Western media outlets and politicians in order to provide cover for Israel to continue its stranglehold over the area and operate its open air prison without [enough] international outcry.

Yeah they were technically not militarily occupying it, but as should be obvious, that was just a temporary situation until they had a good enough excuse to roll back in there.

“A good enough excuse” being a euphemism for “an armed attack across the border on the civilian Israeli populace, taking hundreds of hostages with them”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, statsman said:

“A good enough excuse” being a euphemism for “an armed attack across the border on the civilian Israeli populace, taking hundreds of hostages with them”. 

I'm not sure why you think it's a euphemism. It is literally the exact type of scenario Israel would require to roll into Gaza without immediately losing every remaining ally they have.

Since you still seem to be confused about how all of this works, I should remind who is in charge of the Israeli government. Perhaps you should educate yourself on Likud, Benjamin Netanyahu, and the various extremists that comprise his government. You should read about how Netanyahu's government purposefully props up Hamas because they need an organization like that to be in place for them to justify their normal level of brutality, much less a ground offensive like the current one.

Source: https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/

Also, I assume you have somehow thus far evaded or ignored the reports that Israel obtained intel that laid out precisely the kind of attack that took place on Oct. 7th, and also ignored intel that Hamas was literally conducting training exercises in line with that exact plan.

Source: https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-obtained-ignored-hamas-document-laying-out-oct-7-attack-plan-report-alleges/

Now, keeping in mind that Netanyahu has a high chance of ending up in prison once he's no longer Prime Minister, can you think of a reason for he and his cronies to sit on his hands and not act on actionable intel of this kind?

Here's some more fun reading:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-is-trying-to-avoid-an-accounting-for-october-7-this-time-he-wont-escape/

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-771842

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/2023-12-21/ty-article-opinion/.premium/netanyahu-was-paralyzed-during-hamas-attack-on-october-7/0000018c-8903-d60e-afdf-ed0f33870000

e: Because you're still running around in the DT thread calling this a war, I'm just going to assume you have decided to remain the piece of shit you've always been and just tell you to fuck off again, you fucking idiot.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

Before what's going on right now, it could be a legitimate discussion about control in Gaza. I think Israel oversaw nearly all the basic utilities (telecommunications, electricity, water, etc.). They also controlled every border crossing and Gaza's territorial waters. Of course, they didn't physically occupy it in a traditional military sense, but they did exert a great deal of authority over Gaza. So I guess "blockade" would've been the closest description of that state of affairs.

Or siege. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@statsman @Brian Fantana

image.png.7b2f15aadfc2f94ec59d748508e3e07f.png

Fontana names Gaza quite clearly. 

Statsman, evidently referring to the only proper noun in the exchange, lays the blame for attack on "them" as though he thinks he's writing about the same thing as Fonatana. He's not.

Gaza did not attack Israel. Hamas attacked Israelies in Israel from Gaza. 

If there is a euphemism in all of this, it's statsman's use of the word war to describe what Israel is subjecting the people of Gaza to. 

Please stop conflating Gaza with Hamas. You're just perpetuating the dishonest, twisted rationale for the annihiliation and displacement of an entire people.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Is this the right forum to discuss Egypt's blockade of Gaza? Just asking, because for me it is part of the issue that is overlooked.

It's not right to call it a blockade on Egypt's part. Egypt allows humanitarian aid through the Rafah crossing, etc, just not refugees.

It has repeatedly claimed it doesn't want to allow refugees through because doing so would give Israel an excuse to empty Gaza. They tried to push for people to leave through the crossing (again), but Egypt continues to refuse as doing so would threaten any long term prospect for Palestinian statehood as it's well known Israel would not allow any of them to return.

Israel has effectively herded the majority of the population of Gaza into Rafah, pushing them further and further south every time. It's very apparent they would like to push them all into Sinai. Egypt will not allow this to happen because A) they are not equipped to handle 2 million traumatized refugees, and B) everyone knows it would be a final act of ethnic cleansing and no Gazan would ever be allowed to return home.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree. Israel's leaders would love for the world to look at the Gaza displacement humanitarian crisis as Egypts fault for not inviting the refugees into their country. That's a nifty trick of moving focus from why there are refugees in the first place. 

Netanyahu has publicly repudiated Biden. He's daring us to act in certainty that we won't. I'm guessing Ben is counting partially on election year riskiness to help him.

The United States should not appear to be anyone's lapdog. Biden has done more than enough for Israel. Get our name off of this slaughter.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I agree. Israel's leaders would love for the world to look at the Gaza displacement humanitarian crisis as Egypts fault for not inviting the refugees into their country. That's a nifty trick of moving focus from why there are refugees in the first place.

It's also a line that has been dutifully parroted in this thread multiple times, as if Egypt won't take them because they're too smelly and dangerous, and not because Israel is trying to force mass displacement of millions into their hands.

37 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's not right to call it a blockade on Egypt's part. Egypt allows humanitarian aid through the Rafah crossing, etc, just not refugees.

It has repeatedly claimed it doesn't want to allow refugees through because doing so would give Israel an excuse to empty Gaza. They tried to push for people to leave through the crossing (again), but Egypt continues to refuse as doing so would threaten any long term prospect for Palestinian statehood as it's well known Israel would not allow any of them to return.

Israel has effectively herded the majority of the population of Gaza into Rafah, pushing them further and further south every time. It's very apparent they would like to push them all into Sinai. Egypt will not allow this to happen because A) they are not equipped to handle 2 million traumatized refugees, and B) everyone knows it would be a final act of ethnic cleansing and no Gazan would ever be allowed to return home.

Don't agree. Up until October 7 Israel had open crossings, workers going back and forth. Hamas, and their ties with the Muslim Brotherhood is something Egypt has always watched very closely. There are very few day workers going south. Agree Egypt should not have to take them all, they are building a wall on the southern border.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's also a line that has been dutifully parroted in this thread multiple times, as if Egypt won't take them because they're too smelly and dangerous, and not because Israel is trying to force mass displacement of millions into their hands.

Sir, they won't take them. My interpreter, for a large firm based in Dubai, had a bad ass Palestinian working with us. Both parents were physicians in good clinics in Dubai. It took them over 20 years to secure residency so they could rent, not buy, their own apartment. The Emiratis kept them in refugee status and who ever had their employment visa provided housing. Kid spoke fluent Arabic, English and French. Pretty damn good Turkish. He knew the city and could get anything done. But take him to a meeting and the officials at Dubai Humanitarian City would look down on him.

Inka, I still think your observations, which I trust, are sideshows at best regarding the bloodshed in Gaza.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm not standing up for the virtue of Egypt or any other MidEast country, but other cases of discrimination or ill-treatment of the Palestinians seem like small potatoes when another entity is trying to displace them or erase them altogether.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Inka, I still think your observations, which I trust, are sideshows at best regarding the bloodshed in Gaza.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm not standing up for the virtue of Egypt or any other MidEast country, but other cases of discrimination or ill-treatment of the Palestinians seem like small potatoes when another entity is trying to displace them or erase them altogether.

Yes and no.  Many of the states and such that are loudly championing the Palestinian cause have spent the past decades doing exactly what the Netanyahu government has done: used the Palestinian people as a sacrificial lamb to shore up their domestic power.  The Palestinian people have been a VERY useful foil for many Arab/Persian states to use to distract their people domestically, meaning they have had a vested interest in keeping the conflict going.  The Palestinian people have been used and abused from most every side since 1948.  Bibi's regime gets no pass here, but neither should the Arab/Persian states that have happily strung the Palestinians along for their own selfish purposes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes and no.  Many of the states and such that are loudly championing the Palestinian cause have spent the past decades doing exactly what the Netanyahu government has done: used the Palestinian people as a sacrificial lamb to shore up their domestic power.  The Palestinian people have been a VERY useful foil for many Arab/Persian states to use to distract their people domestically, meaning they have had a vested interest in keeping the conflict going.  The Palestinian people have been used and abused from most every side since 1948.  Bibi's regime gets no pass here, but neither should the Arab/Persian states that have happily strung the Palestinians along for their own selfish purposes.

That's my understanding as well. I think Jordan was left holding the bag for awhile hosting huge refugee camps, but they finally ran the Palestinians out. I'm sure you would guess that I am no champion of the autocracies that surround Israel. They did try to drive Israel into the sea.

Now that I think of it, my feeling about what is happening in Gaza is akin to what I felt about the Arab attacks on Israel. Each were established entities in places where they were not wanted. I think Palestine's historical claim is stronger, but that doesn't really matter much now. Neither deserve destruction.

My anger is with the destroyers in all cases. My fury is keenest when my country supports something that is plain wrong and deadly. It was pretty much our modus in Latin America. I'd like for us to be the good for the first time in a long time.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree, but on that same point, Egypt has a very legitimate complaint about not being able to handle that many refugees, not to mention their security concerns because of extreme elements within the Gazan populace.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Gotta ask why did they run them out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September

I am 100% against how Israel is working this. I hate the settlements and would stop all military aid and sales (two different things) until the settlements stop. But I also spent a long time, 7 years, working in the Middle East. I saw how they are treated within Arab Nations. @Brisketexan said, they are a tool for these nations that need something to keep the population's mind on while they live in luxury. Egypt is a bit different. Hamas was an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood which continues to do some horrific shit in Egypt.

I do not speak good arabic, but you can tell from the mosques, government controlled, when they want anger on the streets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I agree, but on that same point, Egypt has a very legitimate complaint about not being able to handle that many refugees, not to mention their security concerns because of extreme elements within the Gazan populace.

Yes they can. The UN would fucking love it. Should they? No. And concerning the extreme elements, well there lies the problem.

I fear we will see another exile from the Holy Land at some point.

15 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

the US should airlift all Gazans to Europe and US - as was done with 124,000 Afghans in 18 days.  Optics of "ethnic cleansing" and the bogus idea of a Palestinian state (Israel will never allow it), this is the most humane outcome. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:23 AM, Brisketexan said:

aside from Syria, no Arab nation has been using the Palestinian issue for decades. Many have secretly openly been dealing with Israel for years in business and undercover diplomacy. The quoted stance ended or began withering away in the 1970s/80s. Even Syria has more important issues like massacring 1 million of themselves, the Palestinian issue is a distant memory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Asylum is the least we could do. It still doesn't compensate or come close to compensating for the trauma, the loss of life, the starvation and suffering. Doesn't even make up for the overnight dispossession of all the property owned in Gaza City.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Asylum is the least we could do. It still doesn't compensate or come close to compensating for the trauma, the loss of life, the starvation and suffering. Doesn't even make up for the overnight dispossession of all the property owned in Gaza City.

exactly, life in Gaza is OVER.  Israel has purposely target all institutions - bakeries, schools, water purification systems (even murdering 20 people waiting at a water truck), every damn thing needed to sustain life has been destroyed. Not to mention 2/3 of all housing. No water, food, electricity. Life is over, simply evacuate them to about a dozen western nation, we won't feel it and israel will be overjoyed to get rid of 2 million Arabs - the Arab politicians themselves will complain but secretly the Gazans will be happy to get the golden ticket to Europe or US. 

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

exactly, life in Gaza is OVER.  Israel has purposely target all institutions - bakeries, schools, water purification systems (even murdering 20 people waiting at a water truck), every damn thing needed to sustain life has been destroyed. Not to mention 2/3 of all housing. No water, food, electricity. Life is over, simply evacuate them to about a dozen western nation, we won't feel it and israel will be overjoyed to get rid of 2 million Arabs - the Arab politicians themselves will complain but secretly the Gazans will be happy to get the golden ticket to Europe or US. 

They need to be resettled somewhere safe, given money (the equivalent of a civil judgment for wrongful death and having all their homes and cars stolen), and the bill should be paid by Israel.

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

They need to be resettled somewhere safe, given money (the equivalent of a civil judgment for wrongful death and having all their homes and cars stolen), and the bill should be paid by Israel.

Israel isn't paying the Arabs a dime.  Survey says 68% of Israelis don't even want humanitarian aid trucks to go into Gaza. Their attitude is kill/starve the Arabs, each is a terrorist in their bloodthirsty psychotic revenge motive. Gazans need to gtfo asap, before the IDF murders another 30,000.

Senator Van Hollen says the Biden administration could pressure Israel to let more aid through, and they could do it by invoking a law called the Humanitarian Aid Corridor…

This law is very straightforward. It says the United States shall not provide military assistance to any country if that country is prohibiting or otherwise restricting, directly or indirectly, the transport and delivery of U.S. assistance into an area.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/11/1237665822/maryland-sen-van-hollen-says-biden-could-pressure-israel-to-let-more-aid-through

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Israel isn't paying the Arabs a dime.  Survey says 68% of Israelis don't even want humanitarian aid trucks to go into Gaza. Their attitude is kill/starve the Arabs, each is a terrorist in their bloodthirsty psychotic revenge motive. Gazans need to gtfo asap, before the IDF murders another 30,000.

Surely only good will come from giving the Israeli extremists exactly what they want.

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Surely only good will come from giving the Israeli extremists exactly what they want.

the Israeli extremists already have the American Superpower at their behest. There's nothing to be lost anymore, the Gazans have been smashed into ashes and the ashes have been pounded into powder and the powder has been further atomized. They are below zero and going to die by the thousands.  Get them out of hell , no time to play abstract games. 

Schumer is dragging Bibi to hell and back. Things are about to be on and poppin!

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/03/14/congress/schumer-takes-on-netanyahu-government-00146991

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer is calling for new elections in Israel, describing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government as an "obstacle to peace" amid his country's ongoing war in Gaza.

Schumer, the highest-ranking Jewish official in U.S. history, urged Israel to "do better," citing the estimated tens of thousands of Palestinian civilian casualties caused by the Netanyahu government's military offensive aimed at neutralizing the terrorist group Hamas.

23 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Need someone to run in here and press the antisemitism button, it's been too long.

I’d be kind of surprised if someone hasn’t accused Schumer of that already. Has the ADL weighed in yet?

Here’s a question, moved from DT thread-

Hamas’ military is funded by Iran. Shortly after 10-7, the WSJ reported that Iran helped plan 10-7. What was Iran’s plan? Was it tied into the other ME activities? Was it a favor to their Russian allies, to take attention and pressure from them?

Also- was Hamas expecting Hezbollah to join in, from the north? I know Israel has been wary of Hezbollah this whole time, keeping forces in place near them.  

In conclusion, what exactly was the plan?

On 3/12/2024 at 3:27 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

The way I heard it reported- most Israelis say no humanitarian aid to Gaza until the hostages are returned, which is a slightly different take. 

The WSJ reporter said the average Israeli is more hardline right now than Netanyahu’s policies. He says they talk about “October 6 mindset” and “October 8 mindset” a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, statsman said:

Here’s a question, moved from DT thread-

Hamas’ military is funded by Iran. Shortly after 10-7, the WSJ reported that Iran helped plan 10-7. What was Iran’s plan? Was it tied into the other ME activities? Was it a favor to their Russian allies, to take attention and pressure from them?

Also- was Hamas expecting Hezbollah to join in, from the north? I know Israel has been wary of Hezbollah this whole time, keeping forces in place near them.  

In conclusion, what exactly was the plan?

By all accounts, Iran was surprised by the raid/massacre/attack. Yes, they'd been supplying weapons, training, and planning, but from what I've read, they didn't expect it to happen when it did. Hezbollah was also surprised, and both Iran and Hezbollah told Hamas they're pretty much on their own in this conflict after Hamas requested assistance. However, that doesn't mean there wasn't some other plan for the future that would've been more coordinated among the Axis. 

Some of the benefits that Iran may see, depending on how things shake out:

• Weakened Western support for the nation of Israel (this has already happened to Bibi's government);
  • Stalled, delayed, or canceled normalization of ties between Israel/Saudi Arabia, which could eventually lead to an Israeli/Sunni alliance against Iran;
  • More chaos (the "ladder") in the Middle East, which Iran has successfully climbed since W stupidly decided to invade Iraq. 

There might be more, but that's from just the top of my head.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, statsman said:

The way I heard it reported- most Israelis say no humanitarian aid to Gaza until the hostages are returned, which is a slightly different take. 

The WSJ reporter said the average Israeli is more hardline right now than Netanyahu’s policies. He says they talk about “October 6 mindset” and “October 8 mindset” a lot. 

humanitarian aid should never be a bargaining chip. Why starve kids, women & elderly for any reason? 

Israel is MAGA^ MAGA, even more than you.

32 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

humanitarian aid should never be a bargaining chip. Why starve kids, women & elderly for any reason? 

I don’t disagree with you. And Israel is not using it that way. 

Hamas, however, they are absolutely using captive kids, women and elderly as bargaining chips. 

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I don’t disagree with you. And Israel is not using it that way. 

They’re not?  President Biden in his SOTU seemed to imply they are.

Edited by Jatrain