Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I heard the Playin from that show on my way home from work on TIGDH today and it sounded great.  I need to listen to the rest soon.

I am actually at Billy Strings in Austin right now during setbreak.  Highly recommend checking him out.  I don’t know much of his music, but they are pretty great live.

@Hate

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm into the second set now and Lost Sailor>Saint>Wharf Rat is what I am really looking forward to. 

@Druggist I looked to see if he was playing in Houston this tour, but it's only Austin and Dallas this time.  I'd like to see Billy Strings take Bobby's place when he retires.  I think he is uniquely qualified to fill what may be the most difficult role to fill.  Bobby is such a unique player that there aren't many that can fill those shoes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Why am I just finding out this morning that Marty Scorsese is making a live-action narrative film about the origins of the Grateful Dead with Jonah Hill as Jerry Garcia?  Who the fuck is in charge of news around here? 

• 2 weeks later...

I was today year's old when I learned that Oteil Burbridge, as a teenager, was in the film "Being There."  I remember the scene so well but never realized that was him, decade(s) before I'd see him play with Allman Bros., Aquarium Rescue Unit, and of course---Dead & Company.  

Life is indeed...a state of mind. 

I've been on a "Knockin on Heaven's Door" kick lately.  My favorite GD version is 7/7/89, but my favorite version of all time is from 9/13/84 Jerry Garcia Band in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. I had this downloaded from Napster many years ago and loved it but didn't know it was JGB at the time.  The listing on Napster said Grateful Dead.  Anyway, I had lost it somewhere along the way and mentioned it on TOS.  A poster said this was the one I was looking for.  So, to the poster that found this for me...MUCHOS Gracias. 

I jumping around a little bit tonight, but I've been enjoying the end of this show lately.  They come out of space into The Wheel>Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude/Sugar Magnolia>Quin the Eskimo.  Jerry and Brent go off on Fantasy/Jude.  The show kicked off my favorite stretch of shows (or at least on par with May 77) in July of 89.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/14/2022 at 8:06 PM, Hate said:

I jumping around a little bit tonight, but I've been enjoying the end of this show lately.  They come out of space into The Wheel>Dear Mr. Fantasy/Hey Jude/Sugar Magnolia>Quin the Eskimo.  Jerry and Brent go off on Fantasy/Jude.  The show kicked off my favorite stretch of shows (or at least on par with May 77) in July of 89.

Hadn't looked at this thread in awhile, but weird you should mention "Quinn the Eskimo".....been listening to it multiple times, multiple shows lately.  If you get a chance, google the story of how Bob Dylan came to watch the movie that bore the name of his song.  One that he actually never played with the full Grateful Dead in all their performances together (just Garcia Band).  Love that song though.  Sometimes they do it folk style, other times jams style, and other times---in the thumping, powerful version of Manfred Mann Earth Band.  

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Traveling to Bakersfield for work today and haven't been able to get that snippet of Mexicali Blues out of my head. 

I'm so sorry for your current predicament.  Bakersfield.  In January.  I told you not to fuck with that Gourd.  At least you got some good music with you.

Edited by Lobo

On 1/21/2022 at 10:59 PM, Hate said:

Althea from 3/14/81 is the tits!

Not to get all anachronistic, but why is Pigpen on a 1981 album cover?  That's not Brent Mydland, is it?  That's McKernan?  

9 hours ago, elguapo said:

Today I learned that the last known recording of Jerry was Blue Yodel #9 for a Jimmie Rodgers tribute album. Dylan sent Jerry a hand written letter asking him to contribute to the album, Jerry passed a few weeks after this recording.

It’s difficult listening to Jerry when he was knocking on heaven’s door. But a Jimmie Rodgers cover was appropriate. I’ll be forever grateful to Jerry and the Dead for exposing me to the history of American music. You can hear Jimmie’s Blue Yodel series reflected in the Dead’s versions of GDTRFB, I Know You Rider, and Minglewood (T for Texas...). Maybe I would’ve eventually heard of Jimmie and a lot of other historical figures in American music if not for the Dead. But I can’t be sure. I have family and friends whose ignorance suggests otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've seen the Grateful Dead 3 times, Dead & Co. twice, The Dead once, and Rat Dog once and I'm pretty sure Jack Straw was the most played song I heard.  What a great fucking song! My favorite may have been Willy's picnic in 2003 when The Dead played in Spicewood on the 4th of July.  But it was pretty dame good when i heard it in 2017 at the Erwin Center with @Lobo and then again in 2021 in The Woodlands.  It's just a fantastic song.

My wife and I have one daughter who is a junior in high school, the other is a junior in college. The empty nest is on the horizon. Further, my wife has decided to retire so she can embrace her next life stage, which includes caring for her mother. All in all, very positive, though as eras close, there are mixed emotions.

I bring this up to explain why I chose 12-31-78 last night; we had slipped away to a hotel. (A frequent indulgence away from the dynamic of three generations at home). The last show at a Winterland, near the end of the decade in which they realized the power and potential they created. Seemed appropriate. The show is outstanding.

We also brought a nice bag of shrooms. It had been two decades since we had last indulged, alone together.

Heres what I learned: sex is fantastic on shrooms. But the show train won’t wait and you can’t catch up, afterwards. Do y’all know what I mean?

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Like 1

SIAP. I saw this doc this weekend and was highly entertained and appreciated the information. I know it is Grateful Dead 101 stuff and you guys are in master's level Dead music appreciation. If you haven't caught it, do so, it is still a fun flick.

Watch The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir | Netflix Official Site

I consider myself a minor fan who is GD curious. I like their sound and I want to learn more about them. I saw them once after Jerry at the Spicewood Willie picnic and really dug the show and marveled at the energy and generosity that I felt from them and the crowd. Getting there was such a clusterfuck but after the show they put on, considered it well worth it.

What I appreciate the most about the band, and really Jerry, is how many different styles of music he incorporated into their sound. He seemed to be a musicologist as much he was an accomplished musician. What a great band mate to have and how wonderful that they all followed the music, wherever it took them.  That is pretty brave. I think it was serendipitous that they did so where they did and when they did or it would never have happened,  imo.

I'd like to explore them more but it helps me to see docs like this to develop a greater appreciation. I think I saw that there might be another doc on Amazon about them so I  want to catch it if I can find it. 

I just really enjoyed Bob's story and learning about the band's beginnings and his tremendous growth as a musician who "ran off with the circus" at 16. 

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I consider myself a minor fan who is GD curious. I like their sound and I want to learn more about them. I saw them once after Jerry at the Spicewood Willie picnic and really dug the show and marveled at the energy and generosity that I felt from them and the crowd. Getting there was such a clusterfuck but after the show they put on, considered it well worth it.

What I appreciate the most about the band, and really Jerry, is how many different styles of music he incorporated into their sound. He seemed to be a musicologist as much he was an accomplished musician. What a great band mate to have and how wonderful that they all followed the music, wherever it took them.  That is pretty brave. I think it was serendipitous that they did so where they did and when they did or it would never have happened,  imo.

I'd like to explore them more but it helps me to see docs like this to develop a greater appreciation. I think I saw that there might be another doc on Amazon about them so I  want to catch it if I can find it. 

I just really enjoyed Bob's story and learning about the band's beginnings and his tremendous growth as a musician who "ran off with the circus" at 16. 

I was at that show as well (FUCK PAT GREENE) and that did provide a small sample of what a Grateful Dead show was like.  You couldn't be more right about how many different sounds the band incorporated over their 30 years...everything from psychedelic rock to country, blue grass, jazz, blues, folk, disco, and pure unadulterated rock and roll.  I would skip the studio recording if you really want to understand what they were like and what it was like to be at a show.  I was very late to get on the bus and only saw Jerry 3 times towards the end.  The 3 shows I saw are still some of the best days of my life.  There really was nothing like a Grateful Dead show.  The energy in the building or stadium was unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

Watch the documentary the @elguapo posted as it gives a pretty good summation of the 30 years.  You could also just start at the beginning of this thread and work your way through some of shows posted.  The Grateful Dead had many "peaks" and a few valleys during their 30 year run.  Their sound changed a few times and you'll hear that in the way the songs were played.  Early 70's Bird Song or Eyes of the World are very different than the way they played them in the late 80's, as an example.  As a start, I would check out what the shows that are widely considered among their best from each "era":

8/27/72 from Veneta, Oregon

5/8/77 from Barton Hall on the campus of Cornell University in Ithica, New York.

And this one is not one show, but a compilation from many shows during the Spring tour of 1990.  It's a great representation of the last "peak" the band enjoyed before some untimely deaths.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

You know what is wild? Bob's musical education with Jerry as the main professor. I mean his immersion into it via playing with this band and understanding how to let Jerry riff but be able to meet up with him in the song like the jazz musicians did isn't something that you could be taught at music conservatories like Julliard. Bob got a world class music education like the way Michael Dell got a better business education than he would have at UT by being the CEO of Dell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

You know what is wild? Bob's musical education with Jerry as the main professor. I mean his immersion into it via playing with this band and understanding how to let Jerry riff but be able to meet up with him in the song like the jazz musicians did isn't something that you could be taught at music conservatories like Julliard. Bob got a world class music education like the way Michael Dell got a better business education than he would have at UT by being the CEO of Dell. 

Next time you are sitting on the beach at Port A, put in your earbuds a give this a listen...or do it now, but this is one of my "bright sunny day" jams.  It's perfect.