Jump to content

The Guitar Pron Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

The aesthetics of the contoured neck heal don't bother me personally.  I mean, I'm almost never looking at the guitar from that direction.  If it was something majorly divergent on the front of the guitar, it might bother me more. *shrugs*

This.  I think it's a nice detail.  It feels good on the guitars I've played.  But I'm used to the square, and I'm not a widdle-dee-widdle-dee guy, so I don't spend much time up there anyhow.  It's icing, not the cake. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me playing my Les Paul traditional honey burst. A buddy and I entered a contest for the Detroit Tigers. It was called April in the D. They would play your song during tigers games on tv when they cut

In other Corona related news, I just arrived in NYC to help out a bit. If I’m not working, I’m stuck in the hotel, so I took the bass and a Vox headphone amp. Not the most exciting rig rundown, but wi

Posted Images

I'm not a fan of the three screw neckplate they have on some of the 70s models (like my 72 thinline), just cause... it just seems like it can't be as stable. I'm sure it is but it irks me. But yeah, I haven't noticed that they changed that on newer strats PARTIALLY because Guitar Center started putting all of the interesting guitars way up high so I stopped going in for strings and half an hour of test drives, and partially because it's not a detail I ever see.

The most passionate discussions around guitar neck heels were probably old PRS centric gear discussions. Hahahaha I just remembered Ed Roman, the lunatic guitar shop owner in vegas who would unglue your prs neck, shave the heel down, and bolt it back on. Guaranteed 40% more tone. RIP buddy.

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/prs_heel.htm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I'm not a fan of the three screw neckplate they have on some of the 70s models (like my 72 thinline), just cause... it just seems like it can't be as stable.

It's not a perfect metaphor, but have you ever noticed that a 4-legged chair or barstool is never stable, but a 3-legged version is always stable?  3 rigid points define a plane.  4 rigid points can never define a plane in the real world.  (Theoretically, they can get very very close.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever held a Tele with the contoured back, but I have always liked the idea. The hard edged slab feel of the Tele is one of the reasons it took me so long to become a fan and owner of one. You don't see it when it's being played, it doesn't change the style of it. It's just a silly purist thing to be anti-contour, though there's nothing wrong with that either if you don't mind a bruised rib now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not a perfect metaphor, but have you ever noticed that a 4-legged chair or barstool is never stable, but a 3-legged version is always stable?  3 rigid points define a plane.  4 rigid points can never define a plane in the real world.  (Theoretically, they can get very very close.)

I always wanted a three-bolt strat because people cursed them so much and it was so silly. If you were in the right place at the right time you could find a great deal on them because so many were shamed into trading them in. Never found that deal before somebody else did first, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't think I've ever held a Tele with the contoured back, but I have always liked the idea. The hard edged slab feel of the Tele is one of the reasons it took me so long to become a fan and owner of one. You don't see it when it's being played, it doesn't change the style of it. It's just a silly purist thing to be anti-contour, though there's nothing wrong with that either if you don't mind a bruised rib now and then.

What the fuck are you guys doing to bruise your ribs with a standard tele body? And if you need the belly cut, you should already have a few layers of protection built in. 

Edited by Deej
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that the purty white one?

I'm going to tell you that it will hold its value really well and will be easy to unload if you decide you don't like it.

I don't really know if any of that is true but it's some good bullshit and come on it has to be true so you should buy it.

(I bet it is true, and at any point if I feel stupid for having a big dumb expensive amp I go check and see how much I could unload it for and am fine again)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup:  here's a quote from a Reverb auction of a knockoff, claiming Aldo Nova said:

Quote

"This is the guitar that I designed that Gibson made for me, it's a Les Paul with an explorer Headstock, there were only 12 made in the world, I have the first one still. Rick Neilsen from Cheap Trick bought all the other ones and at the show we played together in Mattawa, Canada, he asked me how much I wanted for mine, I said sorry Rick but some things are priceless. I love Rick, we had such fun times together when I opened up for Cheap Trick back.I'll always consider Rick, Robin and BunE. the dearest of friends to this day."

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


I don’t know what to build. I want the Hendrix/SRV/Knopfler/Mayer Strat. What’s that?
The value in building from scratch is getting to define what that is for yourself instead of hoping someone else will. What is that you like about each of those?
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know. I’m pretty deep in the bottle this evening for...reasons so let’s pick this up later.

In the meantime I picked up the Breedlove to noodle along with this Isbell show I’m watching on YouTube, and the frets are biting like hell. Dry weather? It’s been sitting on a stand. Is that fixable?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I don’t know. I’m pretty deep in the bottle this evening for...reasons so let’s pick this up later.

In the meantime I picked up the Breedlove to noodle along with this Isbell show I’m watching on YouTube, and the frets are biting like hell. Dry weather? It’s been sitting on a stand. Is that fixable?

Dry house. Did you turn the heater on?
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Is that the purty white one?

I'm going to tell you that it will hold its value really well and will be easy to unload if you decide you don't like it.

I don't really know if any of that is true but it's some good bullshit and come on it has to be true so you should buy it.

(I bet it is true, and at any point if I feel stupid for having a big dumb expensive amp I go check and see how much I could unload it for and am fine again)

Yup the pretty white one. I’m going to when I have the cash. I just bought my wife her first Louis purse for Xmas and went over the budget which cut into my amp budget (like all of it) (humble brag cause she deserves one and never asks for anything).

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not knowing any more details, a point-to-point wired AC30 is a lifetime amp.  Do it.

I played one In a studio a while back like 10-12 years ago I’m pretty sure it was a ac30 but it was great 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 6:31 AM, topochico said:

That looks great AUTF! I am definitely on team Fender pastels. 

Regarding the belly cut, I thought all you guys just played like this to avoid any issues.
 

 

57F54833-BA24-48E0-AAD7-DB2E105F1C11.png

 

 

Keef's superhuman regenerative powers would obviously reverse any issues suffered from the sharp-edged slab Tele effect.

 

 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old cheapass Epiphone Strat style guitar that has a hockey stick headstock like that, sort of a department store shrink wrap starter version originally. I got it for $10 at a pawn shop years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...