Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

We ARE behind with a lot of kids. Our staff is starting from zero on recruiting these kids to Texas, even if they've had prior relationships.

We'll get a new coach bump in a lot of ways, but if you look at Houston and think we're starting with a fresh clean slate, you're crazy.

These coaches know what they're doing. They have prior relationships, but it's also a year away. There's no need to stress when it's January. These coaches have many months to build the same relationships at another school. They're not coming from Houston to p5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think Jimbo thinks the same as aggy nation. He should be recruiting from a point of strength this season, but is acting like he is recruiting from weakness. Trying to lock down Houston before Sarkisian's staff can get any kind of foothold.

What does this even mean, "recruiting from weakness?"  The three kids currently in the 2022 class are top 25 recruits in state, you let them jump onboard anytime they want to.  Locking down elite edge rushers and OL is something you do every year, as soon as you can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What does this even mean, "recruiting from weakness?"  The three kids currently in the 2022 class are top 25 recruits in state, you let them jump onboard anytime they want to.  Locking down elite edge rushers and OL is something you do every year, as soon as you can. 

Don’t...don’t take him seriously. He is literally wrong about everything. That isn’t hyperbole, either. His track record of being wrong is truly staggering. He’s the Usian Bolt of bad takes.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

20 hours ago, LOHorn said:

3 more? Which 3?

The names I've seen mentioned are Harold Perkins, Denver Harris, Kam Dewberry, Bear Alexander, Kelvin Banks. Yes, that's more than 3, I know.

Perkins, Harris, and Banks (sounds like a law firm, eh?) seem friends with the ones who already committed to A&M. But there are so many examples each year where "package deals" especially ones with multiple players, almost never come true. Those are more like wish lists. But it helps to have committed players happily, openly recruiting the others to come join them. Landing Perkins and Harris would be a coup, no doubt.

53 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

The names I've seen mentioned are Harold Perkins, Denver Harris, Kam Dewberry, Bear Alexander, Kelvin Banks. Yes, that's more than 3, I know.

Perkins, Harris, and Banks (sounds like a law firm, eh?) seem friends with the ones who already committed to A&M. But there are so many examples each year where "package deals" especially ones with multiple players, almost never come true. Those are more like wish lists. But it helps to have committed players happily, openly recruiting the others to come join them. Landing Perkins and Harris would be a coup, no doubt.

It's Dewberry, Perkins and Taylor if anything happens fast. There was a shit ton of chatter about it happening between TH-Sun, so it might not be happening. Not saying the other guys aren't possibilities for ATM, but hope that helps.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's Dewberry, Perkins and Taylor if anything happens fast. There was a shit ton of chatter about it happening between TH-Sun, so it might not be happening. Not saying the other guys aren't possibilities for ATM, but hope that helps.

it not happening now would be a good sign yes?

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

it not happening now would be a good sign yes?

I wouldn't read too much into days vs weeks. Obviously the longer nothing happens, the better things are for anyone other than ATM. Perkins is apparently a fucking lock, which is disappointing. The rest is more mercurial. 

One thing everyone should expect is for someone, beyond just guys that we all know are leaning towards ATM, to get locked up and moved off the grid of recruiting from that moment forward. This will be a high impact guy at a position where they know they have a need. Given the very nature of how this works, I doubt we'll know until it happens, or at least until they have an on-campus gathering for recruits in April/May. 

Edited by closetojumping

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't read too much into days vs weeks. Obviously the longer nothing happens, the better things are for anyone other than ATM. Perkins is apparently a fucking lock, which is disappointing. The rest is more mercurial. 

One thing everyone should expect is for someone beyond just guys that we all know are leaning towards ATM to get locked up and moved off the grid of recruiting from that moment forward. This will be a high impact guy at a position where they know they have a need. Given the very nature of how this works, I doubt we'll know until it happens, or at least until they have an on-campus gathering for recruits in April/May. 

I hadn't realized Perkins was up to a composite 5 star. Shitballs.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I keep forgetting about Bobby Taylor.

There was talk about him and people giving crystal ball picks on that name back before the new year rolled, and he seemed like an early target since Jimbo seems to really get things into gear for a class in the January/Feb timeframe, after wrapping up the previous season and bowl game plus the early and second recruiting periods for the incoming class.

Bobby Taylor hopefully is a true corner and not yet another safety masquerading or being projected as a cover guy.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I hadn't realized Perkins was up to a composite 5 star. Shitballs.

yeah. that's why i wrote that landing Perkins (and Harris) would be a coup for A&M. seems unlikely from the get-go, based on past results trying to recruit 5-star linebackers and DBs.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing everyone should expect is for someone, beyond just guys that we all know are leaning towards ATM, to get locked up and moved off the grid of recruiting from that moment forward. This will be a high impact guy at a position where they know they have a need. Given the very nature of how this works, I doubt we'll know until it happens, or at least until they have an on-campus gathering for recruits in April/May. 

Happens every year. An elite player barely considering them mysteriously commits out of nowhere. Demas, Brian Williams, Leal etc. Hope it isn't Denver Harris this year.

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I will say that it's not every day that your HUDL features 2 plays where you get called for pass interference as well as muffed a kick-off. So kudos for Bobby being an original. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Efp8y

also, live look at Taylor's dad ::

helicopter flying away GIF

I see a helicopter, but I also see what appears to be hydraulics. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not exactly a murderer's row, especially with Colorado at a semi-neutral site and LSU down.

Yeah.  @ Missouri after Alabama could be interesting.  Most the Srs for them are returning.  Need Freshwater to go crazy on offense at home like he did against Saban.

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah.  @ Missouri after Alabama could be interesting.  Most the Srs for them are returning.  Need Freshwater to go crazy on offense at home like he did against Saban.

I only see one surefire loss. All other games should theoretically be in the bag. Hoping for them to Gomer Pyle up 2-3 more games.

34 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I only see one surefire loss. All other games should theoretically be in the bag. Hoping for them to Gomer Pyle up 2-3 more games.

Only one highly likely loss but Missouri, Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn are all very loseable. Heck, if Leach gets his shit together he's always got a punchers chance too.

I also don't understand why Aggy is being ranked so high for next year. They just lost their QB and 4/5 of their OL, most of which is being replaced by Freshmen. Also a few key pieces of their front 7. Those 3 areas were their biggest strengths

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Only one highly likely loss but Missouri, Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn are all very loseable. Heck, if Leach gets his shit together he's always got a punchers chance too.

I also don't understand why Aggy is being ranked so high for next year. They just lost their QB and 4/5 of their OL, most of which is being replaced by Freshmen. Also a few key pieces of their front 7. Those 3 areas were their biggest strengths

A&M's consistently had one of the SEC's best rushing attacks since Jimbo has arrived. That tends to help out a young QB. And with how well they've been recruiting and developing at O-line they probably won't see much of a dropoff.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy 2021 schedule.

45CEF532-7BDC-4490-A52E-E391423621F9.jpeg.a688bd3cdbd22c4cea39d749f7d07f11.jpeg

You've got to be kidding me. That's another one-loss schedule. None of those teams outside of 'Bama will pose much of a real threat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

And with how well they've been recruiting and developing at O-line they probably won't see much of a dropoff.

They recruited a pretty good OL class for 21', but the previous 2 years have been meh' overall.

Chris Morris is in some legal trouble. 

It's probably going to be Kenyon Green and some combination of Matthews, Robinson, Aki, Chibuzo, Bankhead, and Blake Trainor.  

You don't replace 4 guys who started 30-40 games and not see a noticeable drop off.  Sure the group looked good last year, but they were complete dog shit the previous 2-3 years starting.  It's not going to go smoothly and pick up where they left off.  

And I'm not completely sold on King.  They are setting unrealistic expectations for a guy that was pretty bad his Sr year in HS and not playing this past year.  Also looks like he's one good hit from breaking in half.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

because jimbo has always had a plug and play offense, pay attention

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:21 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

They recruited a pretty good OL class for 21', but the previous 2 years have been meh' overall.

Chris Morris is in some legal trouble. 

It's probably going to be Kenyon Green and some combination of Matthews, Robinson, Aki, Chibuzo, Bankhead, and Blake Trainor.  

You don't replace 4 guys who started 30-40 games and not see a noticeable drop off.  Sure the group looked good last year, but they were complete dog shit the previous 2-3 years starting.  It's not going to go smoothly and pick up where they left off.  

And I'm not completely sold on King.  They are setting unrealistic expectations for a guy that was pretty bad his Sr year in HS and not playing this past year.  Also looks like he's one good hit from breaking in half.

If the SEC has another down year along the DL, their OL will be fine. Not much first round talent in that “LOS league” last year. Definitely an offensive league last year.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:47 AM, Tex-19 said:

The defense loses only two starters from a unit that was very, very good. Brown and Buddy J. were great players— but don’t expect too much of a drop-off.  A front four of Peevy, Leal, Clemons, Jackson with a lot of Martin, Harris and Johnson is going to be one of the best in the country without exaggeration. 

LB is tricker but between Hansford, White, Doyle, Cooper they will find someone who can play.  The secondary will be better, everyone comes back who played with a year of experience and Elijah Blades who opted out is returning. I’d fully expect that defense to be better than this year’s since it looks like another offseason will go without Elko getting poached. 

The offensive line and quarterback is the question. If they can ease into the season and get their QB experience with an effective running game early, then the line might gel.  But that’s an open question, it’s very hard to overstate the value of a unit with that many starts together under their belts. Their season schedule sets them up well to try and do that.

I also think it’s not a done deal that King starts, Calzada is going to be given every opportunity to win it. Different skill sets and weaknesses, neither is a complete package. 

• Like 1

Brian Perroni: Making a new A&M Crystal Ball prediction

Hunter Erb has seen a bunch of offers come over the past two weeks, with one of those being from A&M. He took a self-guided tour of A&M on Saturday and I have been told that he is leaning heavily to the Aggies. The other school that keeps being mentioned is Oklahoma. The Sooners offered on Friday and are the main contenders with the Aggies. However, he is higher on A&M. He does have a FaceTime with OU scheduled for today and the Sooners will try to take away some of the momentum, I don't know a timeline but, depending on how the conversations with OU go, this could be a domino that falls before too long.