2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

Yeah Jackson/Delon will definitely be part of any trade I suspect.

But yeah, overall I think they're better today and excited to see them after thinking they wouldn't do much at all.  Just add another creator/shooter and a Big(WCS?) and they'll be ready to go.

Had a random thought with Seth getting traded.
In Mavs history, who you picking to take an open, non-pressure moment 3 from the top of the key?
Non-comprehensive list of names that came to mind:
Seth, Calderon, Nash, Hubert Davis, McCloud, Dirk, Jet
Dirk. Maybe nash. I don't know if I've ever seen Seth or mccloud shoot from the top of the key. Hubert or kidd if it's from the elbow. Seth is the only answer for baseline three.

In Mavs history, who you picking to take an open, non-pressure moment 3 from the top of the key?

Normally my mavs dreams (nightmares) are about resigning Dampier.

Peja. Remember the stories about him and Dirk shooting 3s after practice?

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

Frees a roster spot and Johnson is a 16 million expiring contract. I like it.

I am curious where Powell is with his injury. Need to sign a center regardless 

Do we?  We have Powell, Kleber, Zingis, and Boban who can all play the 5.  Powell says he’s good to go, and the team knows more about his health than anyone else.  Zingis is going to be out a few weeks, and we’ll be overly cautious with him, but that’s still 4 capable bodies to throw at the position.

• Like 1

I just learned that Johnson is a 2nd degree black belt.  He also has a 7-0 record in MMA fights and a 20-0 record in kickboxing.  Yes please.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/they-call-him-bloodsport-james-johnson-kicks-his-way-into-the-nba/

Edited by conVINCEd
Edited to add link.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Do we?  We have Powell, Kleber, Zingis, and Boban who can all play the 5.  Powell says he’s good to go, and the team knows more about his health than anyone else.  Zingis is going to be out a few weeks, and we’ll be overly cautious with him, but that’s still 4 capable bodies to throw at the position.

Of that list, only Powell and kp are even decent rim protectors

Of that list, only Powell and kp are even decent rim protectors
Kleber is a much better defender and rim protector than Powell is. I can't imagine coming off an Achilles injury will help Powell improve at all, except maybe limiting his running around frantically doing nothing at all.

Perfectly fine signing.  They needed another capable big to bridge the gap to a healthy KP.

They've had a successful, if not splashy, off season.

They went into the offseason needing wings and defense and toughness.  I think they got ALL of that without doing anything stupid and giving up good assets and big money.  Can't wait for the season.

• Like 1

Per Bobby Karalla and Skin's podcast.  

Dallas was the best offense in the NBA's history last year (we all know that),  if they scored 2.5 PPP fewer, they still wouldve been number 1. ( I think that was just for last year, not historically.)

To win a title you need to be in the top 10 defensively.  They were 18th in defense.  The lowest rated defense to have a winning record.

If they would've held opponents to 2.5 fewer PPP they would've ranked 9th defensively. 

Also in games that they scored 110 or fewer points  they were 7-19. Clips were 12-14. Nugs 17-21 (i think).

When they allowed fewer than 115 points they were 33-14.  56 win pace.   When they are just better than average on defense they were on pace to win 60games.

They're close.  Just need to improve around the edges.  

*  I think those numbers are right.  My kids are hassling me and I couldnt get it all.

• Like 2

Yeah I've been hearing, and have agreed that the Best offense(or top 3 or so) and the 18th defense isn't good enough.

If they drop to 5th or 6th offensively but move up to 9th or 10th defensively they'll be in GREAT shape.  I think they made the moves to do that this offseason.

• Like 1

Good Stuff From the Ringer

The Mavs learned the right lesson from the Lakers’ championship run. As big as Los Angeles was up front last season, its defensive dominance began with its size on the perimeter. The Lakers didn’t start anyone shorter than 6-foot-5 in the playoffs. They shrunk the court with waves of long and athletic defenders around their two stars. Dallas now has the same kind of roster after some smart offseason moves.

• Like 2