Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My daughter has "hot sauce" on her Christmas list.  Any recs on a good gift pack from a particular vendor?  Maybe 3 types?  Nothing too hot, more like table sauce heat (Crystal, Cholula, etc.).  I'm thinking red, green (Dona-ish?) and something a little more exotic (mango-habanero or some such).  Hopefully available either local retail or amazon.  Thoughts?

too late for now - mikey v's is from georgetown and has a retail shop on the south side of the courthouse square.

• Hook 'Em 1

Herdez makes what they call a street sauce in a few flavors. I have the Roja and avocado cilantro. Going to get the rest. They slam. Not really hot sauce per se but also not salsa. Reminds me of the thin sauces you get at a taco truck. Great on eggs, tacos, your mom.... whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A few years back I got tired of the pepper flakes that I used on my pizza having no heat. I was blindly grabbing pepper flakes and later realized that the red pepper flakes from the spice rack are not the same as chili flakes. While going down the rabbit hole, I discovered this company and ordered a few containers. If you like the heat and flavor of Habanero, I recommend it. The Serrano is really good too, but not near as hot. They have dozens of products that you guys might be interested in if you like to spice things up. Lately I've been baking tilapia with a little olive oil, apple smoked sea salt, garlic powder, and the habanero flakes. Me thinks it's pretty tasty.

https://www.sonoranspice.com/

image.jpeg.94e38e1da4643f3b813db031fe9ea597.jpegSerranoFlakes1-3ozfront_compressed_1200x.webp.a7e3f6e42e720ad171a747515fa70eff.webp

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 12:59 PM, pops said:

NSIAP, this shit tastes great. Tiny bit of a kick so I wouldn't really call it hot sauce but the flavor is great. Tomatillo, cilantro,  hab, japs. Good shit. 

Trader-Joes-Green-Dragon-Hot-Sauce-1024x1536.thumb.jpg.e98f43992ea80ee18feff8bdade9dd90.jpg

THis shit is fucking fire. I put it on damn near everything. 

On 2/25/2024 at 8:00 AM, nivek3 said:

A few years back I got tired of the pepper flakes that I used on my pizza having no heat. I was blindly grabbing pepper flakes and later realized that the red pepper flakes from the spice rack are not the same as chili flakes. While going down the rabbit hole, I discovered this company and ordered a few containers. If you like the heat and flavor of Habanero, I recommend it. The Serrano is really good too, but not near as hot. They have dozens of products that you guys might be interested in if you like to spice things up. Lately I've been baking tilapia with a little olive oil, apple smoked sea salt, garlic powder, and the habanero flakes. Me thinks it's pretty tasty.

image.jpeg.94e38e1da4643f3b813db031fe9ea597.jpegSerranoFlakes1-3ozfront_compressed_1200x.webp.a7e3f6e42e720ad171a747515fa70eff.webp

This is similar to some shit my wife got me over xmas, Flatiron Pepper Co. They're pretty fucking good. 

image.thumb.png.495559d054b1220fffd8be4493e52441.png

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

THis shit is fucking fire. I put it on damn near everything. 

This is similar to some shit my wife got me over xmas, Flatiron Pepper Co. They're pretty fucking good. 

image.thumb.png.495559d054b1220fffd8be4493e52441.png

Nice. I'll have to give these a try. That Dark & Smoky sounds awesome.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How are "red pepper flakes" not "chile flakes"?  I mean, they may not (typically) blow your head off, but they're definitely sourced from chiles and have at least some heat.

According to what I read, crushed red pepper flakes tend to be a mixture of different peppers. This includes peppers with no heat used as a filler, like bell peppers. Chile flakes are just that, chili pepper flakes. It's like everything else, it's gotten to where you can't trust the labels.

"Red pepper flakes are made from a mix of peppers from the capsicum annum family. Don’t get confused by the latin. You know these guys. We’re talking peppers like jalapeño, bell, Fresno, and Anaheim peppers. But the most commonly used pepper for crushed red pepper flakes is the cayenne pepper. The majority of red pepper flakes will be a mix of peppers, with cayenne taking up the majority of the share. The makeup will change, depending on which brand or company you end up purchasing."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:00 AM, nivek3 said:

Thanks for posting that.  I bought some of their Trinidad moruga scorpion flakes.  It's legitimately very hot, which is what I was looking for. 

• Hook 'Em 1