cabowabo

The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

OK, about to pull the trigger on my first NV scope. Figured I'd save some cash going NV over Thermal initially, especially since most of my hunting is going to be done with pretty significant brush (which I'd assume limits what you're seeing with a thermal).

Down to a few options here and wanted to get pushed in the right direction:

- ATN 4k  - ton of really bad reviews on reliability/freezing issues - $630

- Sightmark Wraith HD - decent reviews - $500

- Sightmark Photon RT - the deal listed above. Still have one available that I could get a family member to pick up in San Antonio - $300

Digital night vision, which requires a infrared light, is not going to work well in brush because the IR light will reflect off brush and produced a washed out picture. In open areas, it works fine at 100 yards or so and under. I had an ATN 4K and I never had any problems with it. The 4k records video and audio, whereas the Wraith only records video. Both of these record daytime video in color. The Photon does not record daytime video in color, only black and white. If all you’re doing is night hunting, and you can get one for $300, that may be the route to go.  I sold my 4k and have gone thermal.  Thermal is the way to go for night hunting if you can swing it. 

Digital night vision, which requires a infrared light, is not going to work well in brush because the IR light will reflect off brush and produced a washed out picture. In open areas, it works fine at 100 yards or so and under. I had an ATN 4K and I never had any problems with it. The 4k records video and audio, whereas the Wraith only records video. Both of these record daytime video in color. The Photon does not record daytime video in color, only black and white. If all you’re doing is night hunting, and you can get one for $300, that may be the route to go.  I sold my 4k and have gone thermal.  Thermal is the way to go for night hunting if you can swing it. 

Christmas bonus has arrived. Why should I not buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-Xq50-Thermal-Night-Vision-Rifle-Scope-W-mount-Handled-NOT-USED/223798272090?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D52a132ba89804e4db0fcd4ee2113cae7%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D223798272090%26itm%3D223798272090%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ace578fbd-2367-11ea-a1d0-74dbd180041a%7Cparentrq%3A2502bbea16f0ad3c58d569feff9f961c%7Ciid%3A1

I need to get something but it’s gonna be way down the line. I’d like to get a PVS-14 or something like that.

Okay, I go ahead and admit my stupid, but I didn't see my question answered above.

Thor offers what I have gathered is essentially 3 models with varying magnification in each.

Thermal (lowest cost)

Thermal Smart (mid range)

Thermal Smart Sensor (mid to high)

I've gathered the Smart sensor has the ability to more ballistics data and has essentially faster/more powerful processing of the thermal image for what ultimately results in a clearer image. I have a foot in the camera professionally world and toe in ballistics data. Additionally, the later two can record video.

Okay, so hypothetical, I don't give a shit about the recording. I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night. Ranges will be varied but normally under 150-200.

I care about clean shots. Money is no object but I'm leaning heavily toward Thor.

What's the best option of the 3 above and what am I missing?

What type of magnification is best for that use?

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay, I go ahead and admit my stupid, but I didn't see my question answered above.

Thor offers what I have gathered is essentially 3 models with varying magnification in each.

Thermal (lowest cost)

Thermal Smart (mid range)

Thermal Smart Sensor (mid to high)

I've gathered the Smart sensor has the ability to more ballistics data and has essentially faster/more powerful processing of the thermal image for what ultimately results in a clearer image. I have a foot in the camera professionally world and toe in ballistics data. Additionally, the later two can record video.

Okay, so hypothetical, I don't give a shit about the recording. I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night. Ranges will be varied but normally under 150-200.

I care about clean shots. Money is no object but I'm leaning heavily toward Thor.

What's the best option of the 3 above and what am I missing?

What type of magnification is best for that use?

What State are you hunting in?  With that information, I'll decide if you're worthy of my expertise.

13 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I want to hunt white tail, other deer or pigs at night.

I don't know you.  Who is this? Prank caller, prank caller.

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

What State are you hunting in?  With that information, I'll decide if you're worthy of my expertise.

Tennessee or Texas, or nevermind, I'll figure it out my damn self. Sorry for asking. I'll find the thread for serious NV discussion.

My wife told me earlier this month to "go buy some night vision for your birthday" to deal with the hogs on our little farm... so I kind of have permission to spend money. Problem is, what I think I really need is both thermal binoculars and a thermal riflescope and that would cost a pretty good amount of cash. 

Also, not shooting any deer at night. Want to make that clear. You know, for any undercover narcs on this board.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn