Jump to content

The Night Vision Fanatics Thread


Recommended Posts

I hear ya CW, I really do.  Thought about that one, along with a few others, and I considered the very points you're making.  After having bought the first year that Ford went to the 6.0 Powerstroke and having endured that money pit of a mistake for years because "I just love my black truck!", I am sensitive to the whole "Beta tester" point you've so delicately made here.

Couple of things brought me back to the Nox.  

First, and to your "beta" objection, the Nox has the same guts (internal components) as their Halo series stuff, which are very well vetted and highly regarded.  Still a roll of the dice to some extent, but I've been told by several retailers (who have other things to sell, and some more expensive) that NVision is as good as they come when it comes to backing up their products.  In fact, the pic below is the seller's personal Halo that he dropped on the concrete floor of his garage.  He sent it back into NVision and they replace it no questions asked.  Now, he does sell a lot of their procucts and I don't, so...

Second, I don't believe the Hogster has a model that can be swapped off a helmet onto a weapon in just a few seconds.  That was a big selling point for me.

Third, I guess, is I'm just stupid this way.

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 4.37.37 PM.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these last night from a seller on Amazon. 

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-monocular-ots-hd-640-2-5x-25x

Seems like the price has come down a tiny bit from the fall now that it's after Christmas and the model is discontinued. 

I figure a monocular is a better starting point and more practical and versatile than a rifle scope for general usage and if I decide I like it and see opportunities to shoot after dark on my place, I can go ahead and get a rifle scope later. I'm sure this will likely happen within a week, but I trying to be methodical here LOL. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I took delivery of a Bering Optics Super Hogster this afternoon and hope to be able to obtain some hog shot video this evening. Early impressions are very positive. Much prefer this form factor than the ATN Thor 4 which I will be selling. Also, much lighter than the ATN. Standby.....

PS: And don't make fun of my God damn chair.

28532b2d27a73f81781f4a5485a5d827.jpg



  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I took delivery of a Bering Optics Super Hogster this afternoon and hope to be able to obtain some hog shot video this evening. Early impressions are very positive. Much prefer this form factor than the ATN Thor 4 which I will be selling. Also, much lighter than the ATN. Standby.....

PS: And don't make fun of my God damn chair.

28532b2d27a73f81781f4a5485a5d827.jpg


 

Dat carpet doe...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, on Monday night I passed on a group of hogs because there was still a little daylight and I wanted to christen this thing in the darkness.  I figured they would hang at the feeder until the sun went down, but they caught wind of something and hauled ass never to return.  I did get some nice footage of a deer at the feeder.  Last night, I was able to squeeze in a hunt before the rain came.  The drizzle started coming down (not good thermal conditions) when 2 pigs walked out.  I dispatched one, but very clearly missed the one running off.  So far, so good.  The PQ is better through the eyepiece than video.  Comparing it to my Thor 4 as far as PQ, they are pretty close.  The Thor does have a great picture.  One thing I noticed with the Hogster is that is a flash of horizontal lines that appear on the screen very briefly during a gunshot.  I've seen this with other thermals, but it seems pretty pronounced.  My Thor has more of a flash when the trigger is pulled.  Can't say I notice these lines on the Hogster through the eyepiece, but I'm not exactly paying attention to that sort of thing when I am conducting business through the scope. I recorded the audio with my phone and spliced it in using iMovie.  I have a Sony voice recorder and have ordered a lapel mic so I can get professional and shit.

 

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm 99.999% pig #2 did not escape unscathed.
So, Wabo, when it whites out for a few seconds here and there is that the humidity/drizzle causing it?
Inquiring minds...
Negative. That was me closing the front scope cover trying to keep it dry until they were in position to take fire. I am going to call Bering Optics on the lines and distortion that occurs with each shot. To me it seems excessive. Will update accordingly.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, cabowabo said:

Well, on Monday night I passed on a group of hogs because there was still a little daylight and I wanted to christen this thing in the darkness.  I figured they would hang at the feeder until the sun went down, but they caught wind of something and hauled ass never to return.  I did get some nice footage of a deer at the feeder.  Last night, I was able to squeeze in a hunt before the rain came.  The drizzle started coming down (not good thermal conditions) when 2 pigs walked out.  I dispatched one, but very clearly missed the one running off.  So far, so good.  The PQ is better through the eyepiece than video.  Comparing it to my Thor 4 as far as PQ, they are pretty close.  The Thor does have a great picture.  One thing I noticed with the Hogster is that is a flash of horizontal lines that appear on the screen very briefly during a gunshot.  I've seen this with other thermals, but it seems pretty pronounced.  My Thor has more of a flash when the trigger is pulled.  Can't say I notice these lines on the Hogster through the eyepiece, but I'm not exactly paying attention to that sort of thing when I am conducting business through the scope. I recorded the audio with my phone and spliced it in using iMovie.  I have a Sony voice recorder and have ordered a lapel mic so I can get professional and shit.

 

I'm pretty sure you nailed the second pig at least twice if not three times. You might could track it the following morning.  

Edited by Mdhorn
Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm pretty sure you nailed the second pig at least twice if not three times. You might could track it the following morning.  
Yeah, he did look like he took a hit there late. I did drive around and gave a look but didn't see any sign of it.
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:
I'm pretty sure you nailed the second pig at least twice if not three times. You might could track it the following morning.  

Yeah, he did look like he took a hit there late. I did drive around and gave a look but didn't see any sign of it.

WhY dO YoU NeeD mORe ThaN OnE BuLleT!? Looks like you had 2 good shots on piggie for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out for hogs last night and had some coyotes come out.  Notice the hog way in the background right before I pull the trigger.  Should have had two of these bastards, but I had missed my last 3 or 4 coyote shots, so I'll take one.  Worthy adversaries they are.  Also managed to work in a malfunction and some sweet ass coyote callin.

 

Edited by cabowabo
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Went out for hogs last night and had some coyotes come out.  Notice the hog way in the background right before I pull the trigger.  Should have had two of these bastards, but I had missed my last 3 or 4 coyote shots, so I'll take one.  Worthy adversaries they are.  Also managed to work in a malfunction and some sweet ass coyote callin.

 

I follow you on Youtube now. I need to bust your balls and ask if that was Ray Charles behind the trigger. Not like I could do any better.

Glad you are enjoying the Hogster.

CHIEF

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Once my Nox comes in, the next big get is going to be this for my drone --

 

zenmuse-xt.jpg

CHIEF Jr. has the DJI mini 2, but we have a buddy with the Phantom 4. He is a frack consultant for Pioneer, just the kinda guy we can talk into getting this for his drone. You could actually go to the hogs, not wait for them to come to you.

CHIEF

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I’ve got a place down near Bigfoot that I could cover nicely with a thermal on my Mavic 2.  A lot of videos I’ve watched the drone pilot and will use the thing to actually heard the pigs to the shooters. 
 

Hounds to the hunters...

9EC9BF06-267B-4EFA-A605-27BCF667B099.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Man y’all mad at that pork.   With enough of y’all we may just get a dent put in them after all. 

I got pictures of separate sounders fucking my food plot up. I’ve shot everyone I can this season.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a buddy who owns Ranger Firearms here in SA.  They arrange helicopter hog erradications for ranches in SoTex.  He says it's pretty common to get two to three hundred over a weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, davidg said:

This video came up next.  Probably could be in the holy shit  thread too

 

Yeah, I've had that one bookmarked for awhile.

Watch it everytime I need a pick-me-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Got a buddy who owns Ranger Firearms here in SA.  They arrange helicopter hog erradications for ranches in SoTex.  He says it's pretty common to get two to three hundred over a weekend.

Got a friend of a friend with a big time last name that does this a few times a year on their mega average ranch. It seems to be a blast. I have not been able to weasel myself into that one, yet.   
 

We are ‚Äúlucky‚ÄĚ that we don‚Äôt have a bunch on our lease down in Jim Wells county. They are there and we catch a few, but you would think with the way they breed we‚Äôd be overrun. I bet we kill less than 10/yr at feeders and they are rarely on the cameras. One of our members is actually thinking about picking¬†up a cheap East Tx lease in addition so he can get his hog killing fill met. ¬†The math doesn‚Äôt work but these fuckers aren‚Äôt hitting the feeders. We are high fenced on 3 sides. ¬†Don‚Äôt know where they are going.¬†

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Got a buddy who owns Ranger Firearms here in SA.  They arrange helicopter hog erradications for ranches in SoTex.  He says it's pretty common to get two to three hundred over a weekend.

My frack consultant buddy goes at least once a month on a helicopter hog hunt, they usually get about 300 or so. All the hunts are between Albany, Wichita Falls, and Throckmorton. I was going to take CHIEF Jr. on one, till I saw it is $4300 per man.

CHIEF

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Jet Copter fuel ain't cheap, is it?

That, and they also provide the ARs and ammo. He said you will go through 1000-1200 rounds. They have catch bags that catches about 90% of the brass, they have their own commercial reloading facility that reloads 30k rounds on a heavy week. It's high quality reloads non-FMJ, so you don't waste ammo on a hog that's dead, but just doesn't know it yet. It's quite the operation. A lot more goes into it than I thought.

CHIEF

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

That, and they also provide the ARs and ammo. He said you will go through 1000-1200 rounds. They have catch bags that catches about 90% of the brass, they have their own commercial reloading facility that reloads 30k rounds on a heavy week. It's high quality reloads non-FMJ, so you don't waste ammo on a hog that's dead, but just doesn't know it yet. It's quite the operation. A lot more goes into it than I thought.

CHIEF

They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

Don't blame him. Fool me once.

CHIEF

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

An I confused? What does hooking onto a Nilgai mean. It got caught up in his landing gear?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
They also can't have brass going into the tail rotor.  My cousin used to fly his helicopter on these hog hunts but then he wadded it up after he hooked onto a Nilgai.  He was OK but he's out of the helicopter game.

The guy that contracts to AEP in my brothers AO does hog hunts. He’s always chasing coyotes with the helicopter too.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...