Fleetwood Mac has fired Buckingham, hired Mike Campbell

Gil Bang

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, tbone_ said:

Worst invention ever?

The democratization of this technology has finally allowed us to do with voices what we've been doing with instruments since the dawn of creation, or somewhere thereabouts. 

For all you pure bloods, don't ever read a book about a favorite or admired singer if that singer lived and recorded since the 90s or your entire worldview's gonna have to go flying out the window. (For me, the come to Jesus moment was Reba McEntire.)

Edited by BoomMF

The democratization of this technology has finally allowed us to do with voices what we've been doing with instruments since the dawn of creation, or somewhere thereabouts. 
For all you pure bloods, don't ever read a book about a favorite or admired singer if that singer lived and recorded since the 90s or your entire worldview's gonna have to go flying out the window. (For me, the come to Jesus moment was Reba McEntire.)

My partner and I sing every Friday night with no auto tune. Someone has to keep it real.
  • Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

My partner and I sing every Friday night with no auto tune. Someone has to keep it real.

Posting the vid wasn't to get into a convo about the sanctity, or more the complete and total lack thereof, of pop music. Someone just posted a down the middle cover of Dreams so I figured it was more about the hot lead singer than the forgettable rendition of the song. I was just offering the brunette with the killer smile. That vid works just as well on mute, boo the hypocritical provincialities.

What a coinkydink.

Edited by BoomMF

23 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

I'm in the "no Lindsey, no Mac" crowd. That was the Fleetwood Mac I grew up with, and I just can't get around it. 

I am also in the crowd. 

No Lindsey, they're just a washed up blues band with about 10 hits smattered in from '67 to '74.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I am also in the crowd. 

No Lindsey, they're just a washed up blues band with about 10 hits smattered in from '67 to '74.

I've mentioned this before, but Lindsey did a solo tour in 2007, and played the Hogg auditorium on campus.  It may not have even been sold out.  I think I sat on like row 10 or something.  Magnificent show.    

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lindsey-buckingham/2007/hogg-memorial-auditorium-austin-tx-13d31525.html

It's interesting to think of what might have become of Buckingham-Nicks if they'd never joined FM.  There's no way they'd have been as big as the version of Fleetwood Mac that included them (considering Rumours is easily a top-10 record in rock history given sales, radio airplay, etc).  But would they have been bigger than whatever FM would have been without them?  

I mean, they almost certainly would have (still) split apart as a couple, and we'd have a solid but unexciting English blues band called FM, and two unheralded solo singer/songwriters from California.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I've mentioned this before, but Lindsey did a solo tour in 2007, and played the Hogg auditorium on campus.  It may not have even been sold out.  I think I sat on like row 10 or something.  Magnificent show.    

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lindsey-buckingham/2007/hogg-memorial-auditorium-austin-tx-13d31525.html

It's interesting to think of what might have become of Buckingham-Nicks if they'd never joined FM.  There's no way they'd have been as big as the version of Fleetwood Mac that included them (considering Rumours is easily a top-10 record in rock history given sales, radio airplay, etc).  But would they have been bigger than whatever FM would have been without them?  

I mean, they almost certainly would have (still) split apart as a couple, and we'd have a solid but unexciting English blues band called FM, and two unheralded solo singer/songwriters from California.  

Buckingham/Nicks is a f'ing album.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I guessing her means use technology to alter the sound of the instrument. But that’s just my $.02.

But what technology has existed since the dawn of time to change the pitch of any instrument?

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, although it comes naturally . . . I just don't get the point.  Outside of vocoders, which aren't really autotuners, pitch correction technology is pretty new and has mostly been used on vocals.  Beyond that, autotuning is used in two ways:  as an artistic effect, and as a way to hide bad singing.  The track above is the latter.  They basically got a Hooters waitress to "sing" a Mac song and tuned it up.  Yay for them?

• Hook 'Em 1

Never let it be said that Boom ever shyed away from defending the veracity of obvious sarcasm.

You can install Reaper for free and fix drum mis-hits on day 1. By day 3 you'll be fixing bad notes in your guitar solo. Give it a couple of months and you can join the army of guitar "virtuosos" on YouTube who produce petabytes of sticky sweet error-free guitar playing. Rando chick in pajamas singing on her bed historically didn't have a cheap way to do the same. Now chicks in pajamas singing on their beds can. Democratization son.

We haven't had "as played" pop music for decades now.

You can disagree and think this is different and AutoTune is an affront to real musicianship, but you're going to just be arguing degrees.

And "since the dawn of time" was clearly a reference to the cave paintings in Southern France depicting a Neanderthal music producer cheating like a motherfucker with a tape splicer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Never let it be said that Boom ever shyed away from defending the veracity of obvious sarcasm.

You can install Reaper for free and fix drum mis-hits on day 1. By day 3 you'll be fixing bad notes in your guitar solo. Give it a couple of months and you can join the army of guitar "virtuosos" on YouTube who produce petabytes of sticky sweet error-free guitar playing. Rando chick in pajamas singing on her bed historically didn't have a cheap way to do the same. Now chicks in pajamas singing on their beds can. Democratization son.

We haven't had "as played" pop music for decades now.

You can disagree and think this is different and AutoTune is an affront to real musicianship, but you're going to just be arguing degrees.

And "since the dawn of time" was clearly a reference to the cave paintings in Southern France depicting a Neanderthal music producer cheating like a motherfucker with a tape splicer.

Oof.

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, BoomMF said:

Posting the vid wasn't to get into a convo about the sanctity, or more the complete and total lack thereof, of pop music. Someone just posted a down the middle cover of Dreams so I figured it was more about the hot lead singer than the forgettable rendition of the song. I was just offering the brunette with the killer smile. That vid works just as well on mute, boo the hypocritical provincialities.

Reveal hidden contents

What a coinkydink.

Correct. Mine was about the hot chick. If I want to hear Dreams, I'll play some FM.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched this thread for a bit. Always been a big fan of FM, but Lindsey always made the band for me. My favorite FM song is Big Love, the masturbatory version shown above (like 16/16 time). My favorite song of Lindsey Buckingham's is Stephanie, it was on the Buckingham Nicks album before Fleetwood Mack. It is tuned to DADF#AD, I keep a guitar tuned to that tuning and play it at least 5 times per day. Here is the original:

What a goddess. 

Here he is playing it later in Ft. Worth:

Absolutely love this song.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, Paul Wesley said:

I just imagine Vic in the parking lot of Hogg Auditorium. 

Watched this thread for a bit. Always been a big fan of FM, but Lindsey always made the band for me. My favorite FM song is Big Love, the masturbatory version shown above (like 16/16 time). My favorite song of Lindsey Buckingham's is Stephanie, it was on the Buckingham Nicks album before Fleetwood Mack. It is tuned to DADF#AD, I keep a guitar tuned to that tuning and play it at least 5 times per day. Here is the original:
[/url] What a goddess. 
Here he is playing it later in Ft. Worth:
Absolutely love this song.
CHIEF

Is there a name for that tuning?

27 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Is there a name for that tuning?

It's an open key of some sort, but I can't find it. Here is a gal that learned to play it in standard tuning, but the hammer ons are impossible to make sound right without it being an open string.

This is also the same tuning that Christopher Cross uses to play "Sailing".

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Chris Cross
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Ooh. Christopher Cross - I’ve been working on Ride Like the Wind. PITA to play it like he does so I’m doing what I do in those situations - find a way to cheat.

If you tune one of your guitars to DADF#AD, it should take you about 10 minutes to learn Sailing. That's with 8 minutes spent on bridges, and interludes. One thing I have noticed with this tuning is you need to invest in a good tuner. I stepped up to a Peterson Strobo Clip GD with the "sweetener" on it. If not, a few of the notes sound kinda flat. The better tuner was able to get rid of that.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

This is the explanation that came with the tuner:

'Sweetened' tunings, whatever their derivation, are tuning methods that are designed to improve the way that certain notes sound when played together. ... When appropriately applied, these tunings adjust the spaces between certain notes so that said notes will sound better together.

It wasn't apparent on Stephanie, but was on Sailing. That bottom A was just flat out "flat". I use several alternate tunings and this tuner has improved the way each one sounds, all of the slightly flat or sharp sounding notes disappeared. It's chromatic and accurate to 1/1000 of a semitone. Probably the best musical buying decision I have made this year.

They are calling this an "Open D" tuning, but it doesn't sound like a chorded D

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I've never stuck with pitches as defined by a standard tuner.  Usually it's the G or B string that's flat.  "Optimum" does kind of depend on the key I'm playing in, especially if I'm playing a lot of open chords.  Interesting that they've come up with a tuner that tries to bend those pitches into what sounds right as opposed to what measures right.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never stuck with pitches as defined by a standard tuner.  Usually it's the G or B string that's flat.  "Optimum" does kind of depend on the key I'm playing in, especially if I'm playing a lot of open chords.  Interesting that they've come up with a tuner that tries to bend those pitches into what sounds right as opposed to what measures right.

Yeah, that's how I found this tuner. Read a lot of posts and reviews from musicians that play a lot of open chords and most of them recommended this one from Peterson. I used to try tweaking the tuning to remove the flats and sharps, and it would take me upwards of 15 minutes or so. Now it takes about a minute or two.

CHIEF

• 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Ya know, I was listening to some FM the other day, and something occurred to me:  Mick is a really terrific drummer.  Those fucking songs groove, and it's because of the drums. 

He and Peter Green together made a good band. The problem was they simply were not commercially appealing. But Green’s guitar work was really good during that period.

And remember Bob Welch’s “Oh Well”, it is a required riff for any lead guitarist. 

• Like 1