Fitbit device advice

I'd like to buy a Fitbit type device that monitors my heart rate, blood pressure, steps taken daily etc... and that lets me upload that data to my computer but DOES NOT require registering with Fitbit online.  Google has bought Fitbit and my understanding is that Google will have access to all of it.  I want to collect the data but NOT have it go anyplace other than my computer.  If it didn't cost an arm and a leg that would be great, too.

Any ideas?

I have looked into this.  Fitbit brand, as it's now owned by google, is a nonstarter.

That leaves Garmin, a couple of others, and Chinese things.  I think the non-google ones are fairly trustworthy and most of them don't use "the cloud" for your data.

You have to spend pretty good money to get a decent heart rate monitor if that's important to you.  I don't think any of them do blood pressure monitoring.

18 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'd like to buy a Fitbit type device that monitors my heart rate, blood pressure, steps taken daily etc... and that lets me upload that data to my computer but DOES NOT require registering with Fitbit online.  Google has bought Fitbit and my understanding is that Google will have access to all of it.  I want to collect the data but NOT have it go anyplace other than my computer.  If it didn't cost an arm and a leg that would be great, too.

Any ideas?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/activity-monitors

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9409528#9410248

Check the Rainmaker site (first link), a well respected site for fitness info.

Second link is a thread from LetsRun with a thread on HRMs which gives budget friendly advice.   You can use the search feature for more specific info on individual personal experiences.

I’ve been somewhat pleased with my Garmin Vivoactive HR. I got a chest strap from my membership at F45 so it pairs up quickly and gives me a better HR reading than just the watch.
I’m looking to upgrade the watch but not looking to spend Fenix type cash. I just don’t see the return on it above what I have now.

Garmin Instinct here. Does a good job for heart monitor and steps. Linked to my phone so I can keep it on silent always and get notifications for calls, email, and texts.

Had a Fitbit, but it broke under warranty. They were the WORST to deal with. No fewer than 15 to 20 emails and DMs on Twitter (cant remember) and I finally told them to fock off and would never buy their brand again.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Any ideas?

I don't think any of them do Blood Pressure, so strike that.

I believe all the major brands require you to create an account on their phone app which is also an account on their web site.   Garmin has desktop software for a computer, but the watch still sends the data to the phone app which sends it to the Garmin website.    The desktop app pulls the data down from the website.   The other major brands are very likely the same way....and for legit reasons.  

Even if you create a new email address to use to create the login to the app,  you can't be sure the app isn't looking for the local gmail address and/or phone number and linking with that.  If you _really_ wanted to be sure you stay anonymous, you'd need to get a different smartphone with it's own gmail address (and maybe not even a phone number).   Even then, if you did a GPS activity that started and ended at your house, their website could probably Dox you.

I think most people probably look at it, decide they want the benefits of a fitness watch and just accept that someone could be mining the data. 

FWIW - I've have a Garmin Vivoactive 3M for running and give it a huge thumbs up.