Jump to content
Horny Bull

Boise State @ Texas Series Thread

Recommended Posts

I really like the young talent pierce brought in this year. We are much better defensively up the middle. Starting pitching seems solid, at least Fr and Sat. We still look shaky at the plate imo and the pen gives me the shits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I’m afraid we are looking at the same type team as last year...maybe slightly improved. Starting pitching will be our “strength”, offense will struggle to manufacture runs and the bullpen....well, you’ve seen what I’ve seen.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Holy shit y’all weren’t joking 

spacer.png

“Would you like to buy some popcorn to support my troop?”

Does Boise State like, like me like me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yeah, I’m afraid we are looking at the same type team as last year...maybe slightly improved. Starting pitching will be our “strength”, offense will struggle to manufacture runs and the bullpen....well, you’ve seen what I’ve seen.  
 

Well, as long as we don't have E machines at the plate and at middle part of our infield it will be an improvement...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petscii said:

Well, as long as we don't have E machines at the plate and at middle part of our infield it will be an improvement...

Which is why I found EZ$'s take pretty weak. What defined last year's team was being fundamentally unsound at Catcher and in the middle infield, along with a bullpen that hit batters and threw wild pitches. It was not the things he listed, which are true of every team for the past decade. 

How did we give up the lead tonight? We gave up hits. Imagine that? Having a bullpen so great that the other team actually has to swing the bat to get runs? After last year that was refreshing.

So no, this team is not the same kind of team as last years. At least not yet. Let me know when we throw multiple wild pitches and walk the bases loaded, then I will be convinced EZ$ is correct. I question he actually suffered through last year with that take.

Edited by Valmy77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walking out of the Thursday night game in Palo Alto I was happy.   People act like sweeping LSU was no big deal.  It's hard to sweep teams period.  We split Arky on the road.  Won the first conference series vs Tech.  After that was largely unacceptable. 6 more conference wins and people are talking about last year much differently.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve got some good options in the pen this year.  It’s really deep.  I’d like to see Southard and Merriman out of the bullpen before Diaz and Quintanilla.  Meaney looked improved in his one outing.  Stevens has thrown strikes.  BTW what happened to Whelan?  I assume he got cut.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Which is why I found EZ$'s take pretty weak. What defined last year's team was being fundamentally unsound at Catcher and in the middle infield, along with a bullpen that hit batters and threw wild pitches. It was not the things he listed, which are true of every team for the past decade. 

How did we give up the lead tonight? We gave up hits. Imagine that? Having a bullpen so great that the other team actually has to swing the bat to get runs? After last year that was refreshing.

So no, this team is not the same kind of team as last years. At least not yet. Let me know when we throw multiple wild pitches and walk the bases loaded, then I will be convinced EZ$ is correct. I question he actually suffered through last year with that take.

Yeah, I’d imagine last years shitty infield play and having a not so reliable catcher in McCann fucked with our pitchers confidence some last year. 
 

Our starting pitching seems like it’ll be a strength. Now, less Fields and Diaz and more Duplantier, Hansen and Merryman, please. 
 

@ClubWhatever pretty sure Whelan had TJ surgery and is redshirting this year. I’d love to have him back on the team next year. Guy seems like the ideal Tuesday starter 

Edited by Fletch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Southard came out and looked like a hoss and then we never saw him again. I wonder if he has control issues in practice or something and Pierce is scared to give him more innings right away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Standing ovations from the home crowd notwithstanding, Cobb needs to pitch on Tuesdays.  We need someone who can go 6 on Sundays against good teams, not barely 5 against JUCO/Boise State.  So who would go on Sunday? Kubicek? Hansen? Try one out against Mizzou and Cobb can take on AZ next Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, petscii said:

Walking out of the Thursday night game in Palo Alto I was happy.   People act like sweeping LSU was no big deal.  It's hard to sweep teams period.  We split Arky on the road.  Won the first conference series vs Tech.  After that was largely unacceptable. 6 more conference wins and people are talking about last year much differently.   

I mean I loved doing those things but we all noticed the big problems and I was just hoping somehow they would be solved while we were still winning. But obviously it just got worse.

This year the team is fundamentally sound and a decent baseball team...so far. I am excited to see if we can go 9-0 and how we do against the top 10 teams in the tournament.

Edited by Valmy77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I loved doing those things but we all noticed the big problems and I was just hoping somehow they would be solved while we were still winning. But obviously it just got worse.

This year the team is fundamentally sound and a decent baseball team...so far. I am excited to see if we can go 9-0 and how we do against the top 10 teams in the tournament.

Plus ... the benefit of two former MLers coaching and mentoring our young talent.  When they speak, even a knucklehead would listen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s at the minor league stadium currently no where close to campus. Will be nice next year once the new one opens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...