Jump to content
Hagbard Celine

espn finally give a shit :: 1980 @ 40 :: sunday 23rd 1pm

Recommended Posts

Such an awesome game.  I was just thinking how odd it is that this game probably makes my all-time fav sports moments despite the fact that it happened before my time.  Well, I was alive but oblivious to everything but Saturday morning cartoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.

Maybe a tribute to the tape delayed original airing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight. We hosted a “blackout party” .. with plenty of food and drink, but no radio or TV until game time.

Agree that it was one of the great sports events of a lifetime.  Certainly, a “remember where you were” moment ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight. We hosted a “blackout party” .. with plenty of food and drink, but no radio or TV until game time.

Agree that it was one of the great sports events of a lifetime.  Certainly, a “remember where you were” moment ..

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was only "tape delayed" for a few hours. IIRC, there were some American TV sportscasts that knew the result and warned people to change the channel if they didn't want to know the result before watching later. (That might be on HBO's wonderful documentary, which I will watch this weekend).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was only "tape delayed" for a few hours. IIRC, there were some American TV sportscasts that knew the result and warned people to change the channel if they didn't want to know the result before watching later. (That might be on HBO's wonderful documentary, which I will watch this weekend).

Yes, the game was played earlier that evening. We took no chances learning the result accidentally.  We had a box full of cassettes for our partying pleasure ... 🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not seeing any of this on my DirecTV schedule for tomorrow -- what gives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up out in the sticks in West Texas and our TV reception OTA a was shit until my Dad rolled up one day with one of the gigantic, old school satellites and we suddenly went from 3 snowy-ass channels to 300 completely free, crystal-clear (for 1980 channels). This was like a month before the Olympics.

The USSR game was played live at 4PM Central but tape-delayed in the US over the air; however, Canadian TV aired it live. Had like 70 people jammed into my parents living room and the game was so tense nobody noticed me and my delinquent 13 year old friends grabbing beer out of the fridge to watch in my room. I had never seen a hockey game in my life one week prior and was crying like a baby at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.


Same here except I was 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I grew up out in the sticks in West Texas and our TV reception OTA a was shit until my Dad rolled up one day with one of the gigantic, old school satellites and we suddenly went from 3 snowy-ass channels to 300 completely free, crystal-clear (for 1980 channels). This was like a month before the Olympics.
The USSR game was played live at 4PM Central but tape-delayed in the US over the air; however, Canadian TV aired it live. Had like 70 people jammed into my parents living room and the game was so tense nobody noticed me and my delinquent 13 year old friends grabbing beer out of the fridge to watch in my room. I had never seen a hockey game in my life one week prior and was crying like a baby at the end.
I did not know those giant sats were free viewing. Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight. We hosted a “blackout party” .. with plenty of food and drink, but no radio or TV until game time.

Agree that it was one of the great sports events of a lifetime.  Certainly, a “remember where you were” moment ..

I was doing an internship in Chicago, a group was going out to watch the game. Everyone had turned off the radios, and yet one guy shows up right before the pick drops and says he's excited to watch Team USA win.

Fuck, we were all pissed. That guy want invited to watch the gold medal game with us, even though I believe that one was life broadcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I still can’t find the actual game broadcast on my schedule for Sun. What channel is it on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hagbard is posting about a one-hour Jeremy Schaap interview special on ABC. Who knows if he even realizes it’s not the game. It’s titled SportsCenter Special on the DTV guide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Hagbard is posting about a one-hour Jeremy Schaap interview special on ABC. Who knows if he even realizes it’s not the game. It’s titled SportsCenter Special on the DTV guide. 

Gotcha. It is odd that ABC/ESPN are not showing the actual game broadcast. I watched Miracle this afternoon on NHL Network. In some commercial breaks, Bob Costas interviewed Al Michaels about the game. Heard some of the clips on the Musers on Friday. It was pretty cool. I hadn't watched Miracle in quite some time -- forgot that they didn't even film a scene for the Finland game and Herb Brooks' infamous quip during the second intermission with them behind 2-1. "If you lose this game you'll take it to your fucking graves!" I had it in my mind the quote had been Disney-fied and changed to "freaking graves" or something.

Also, I did not realize the format wasn't a straight knock-out tournament in the medal round and that the game against FInland wasn't a true "Gold Medal Game." You played each team from the other division and then the points earned were used to determine gold, silver and bronze. You carried forward your result with the other team from your division so the Americans and Swedes had one point from their tie and the Soviets started with two points because they beat Finland. The Russians would've won gold if Finland had beaten the Americans. We would've fallen to bronze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN is showing Miracle from 5:30-8 Sunday night, ESPN2 has their 2015 30 for 30 at 9p. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, markstanco said:
14 hours ago, Ignatius said:
I grew up out in the sticks in West Texas and our TV reception OTA a was shit until my Dad rolled up one day with one of the gigantic, old school satellites and we suddenly went from 3 snowy-ass channels to 300 completely free, crystal-clear (for 1980 channels). This was like a month before the Olympics.
The USSR game was played live at 4PM Central but tape-delayed in the US over the air; however, Canadian TV aired it live. Had like 70 people jammed into my parents living room and the game was so tense nobody noticed me and my delinquent 13 year old friends grabbing beer out of the fridge to watch in my room. I had never seen a hockey game in my life one week prior and was crying like a baby at the end.

I did not know those giant sats were free viewing. Interesting.

It didn’t last a real long time; my freshman year at UT was 1985, and by the end of my first semester they had started scrambling/charging for movie channels.  Within a couple of years after pretty much everything worth a shit was on a pay basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ss13 said:

Hagbard is posting about a one-hour Jeremy Schaap interview special on ABC. Who knows if he even realizes it’s not the game. It’s titled SportsCenter Special on the DTV guide. 

i know now.  tuaca shots on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Gotcha. It is odd that ABC/ESPN are not showing the actual game broadcast. I watched Miracle this afternoon on NHL Network. In some commercial breaks, Bob Costas interviewed Al Michaels about the game. Heard some of the clips on the Musers on Friday. It was pretty cool. I hadn't watched Miracle in quite some time -- forgot that they didn't even film a scene for the Finland game and Herb Brooks' infamous quip during the second intermission with them behind 2-1. "If you lose this game you'll take it to your fucking graves!" I had it in my mind the quote had been Disney-fied and changed to "freaking graves" or something.

Also, I did not realize the format wasn't a straight knock-out tournament in the medal round and that the game against FInland wasn't a true "Gold Medal Game." You played each team from the other division and then the points earned were used to determine gold, silver and bronze. You carried forward your result with the other team from your division so the Americans and Swedes had one point from their tie and the Soviets started with two points because they beat Finland. The Russians would've won gold if Finland had beaten the Americans. We would've fallen to bronze.

Depending on goal difference, even with a draw against Finland, we could have not even medaled at all.  I remember watching it live.  We played the first period like we did against West Germany.  The idea that we might not even medal much less not win Gold was a serious possibility in the 2nd period against the Finns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, C-Man said:

Bizarre they show it the day after the 40th anniversary. Better late than never. I was 7 and it made me a life-long hockey fan. Crazy that I know THE sports moment of my lifetime occurred when I was 7 and it will never be topped.

I was 9.  It still inspires me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey schaap - the reason they have never seen the game in it's entirety and don't own their own copy of the game in it's entirety is because your fucking employer has the tapes in the vault and has never made them available.  which is even more egregious considering you missed the tying goal of the Finland game nationwide and the the go-ahead gold-winning goal in the central and mountain time zones because you were showing freaking commercials.  we just saw 3 seconds of footage of each of the group round games in crystal 4x3 which proves you fuckers are sitting on the footage of the greatest achievement in US sports history.

fuck you disney.  i want the entire ABC broadcast of each game, the one on the tapes with no breakaways for commercials.  and all of the studio interviews, previews, post-games.  the whole fucking thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's see how they deal with the Finland game.

the infamous podium scene (the medal ceremony) on the SI cover with no titles took place after the Soviet/Sweden game which faced off 3 hours after we beat Finland, about 48 hours after the win over the Soviet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mark johnson is dead on with that comment.

for those last 10 minutes it was like time stopped.

literally on the event horizon.

tick.

tick.

tick.

puck hits the post.

tick.

tick.

tick.

chip it.

tick.

tick.

tick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tikhonov has said he didn't pull Myshkin because the Soviet had never pulled the goalie.  They had never practiced for it.  They were 27-1-1 in Olympic play over their prior 4 gold medals back to 1964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay thank god they are going to deal with the finland game.  will they admit to the fuckups being away for commercials when the tying and go-ahead goals were scored?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

herb brooks went to the locker room immediately by himself and cried

Heard it said he told the team he wanted them to have their moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That game was broadcast “tape delay” around midnight.

Were you living in Greenland at the time or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes - they covered it

IF YOU LOOSE THIS GAME, YOU WILL TAKE IT TO YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.

stops, turns back...

YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.

drop mic, kill thread, best intermission speech in sports history now, then, forever.

Herb Brooks

August 5, 1937 – August 11, 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AND OF COURSE THEY BARELY COVER THE FINLAND GAME

sons of bitches.  just as big as the soviet game.  just as nailbiting.  3 seconds.  that's all they show.  3 seconds.

FUCK YOU DISNEY AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the Finland game was at 10am Sunday.  My overly zealous Southern Baptist father made me go to church, because "It's only hockey."   I pitched a fit but he didn't give in.  We got back and I ran in and turned on the TV to find us down 2-1.  I told my dad that if we lost, I was never speaking to him again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ss13 said:

ESPN is showing Miracle from 5:30-8 Sunday night, ESPN2 has their 2015 30 for 30 at 9p. 

You know how every little kid likes to watch the same movie over and over?  Usually it's something like Frozen or Land Before Time.  My daughter's was Miracle.  I have seen that movie at least 20 times because she always wanted to watch it.  When she was 5, she could quote the name and number of every player on the 1980 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the movies are an abortion and completely unnecessary.  All 3 of them.  The original broadcasts are the story.  I lived it in realtime.  I've seen each of the movies.  The movies skip dozens of critical data points.

Now, there are multiple books of which 2 are good and one is spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Were you living in Greenland at the time or something?

Virginia .. long time ago, but I think the TV coverage began around 9PM Eastern .. finished close to midnight.

But, I am positive we were well toasted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yes - they covered it
IF YOU LOOSE THIS GAME, YOU WILL TAKE IT TO YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.
stops, turns back...
YOUR FUCKING GRAVES.
drop mic, kill thread, best intermission speech in sports history now, then, forever.
Herb Brooks
August 5, 1937 – August 11, 2003


Yeah. That’s the way I’ve always heard it. Think it’s possibly on the HBO documentary. I’m going to watch that later after the Stars game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C-Man said:

 


Yeah. That’s the way I’ve always heard it. Think it’s possibly on the HBO documentary. I’m going to watch that later after the Stars game.

 

Yeah that sequence is from Eruzione in the HBO documentary.

Anyone remember the TV movie with Karl Malden as Brooks that came out a few months after the game?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I think the movies are an abortion and completely unnecessary.  All 3 of them.  The original broadcasts are the story.  I lived it in realtime.  I've seen each of the movies.  The movies skip dozens of critical data points.

Now, there are multiple books of which 2 are good and one is spectacular.

Miracle is a terrific movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Depending on goal difference, even with a draw against Finland, we could have not even medaled at all.  I remember watching it live.  We played the first period like we did against West Germany.  The idea that we might not even medal much less not win Gold was a serious possibility in the 2nd period against the Finns.

I don't think that's the case. If the US-Finland tied the Finns would've finished with 2 points in the medal round and the US would've had 3, giving us at least the bronze in that scenario. The Swedes got smoked by the Russians 9-2 so that result would've left us with the silver. Thank God we potted three in the third to clinch the gold, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Miracle is a terrific movie.

I'm watching now.  Amount of the Czech game they recreated: Zero.  They gave the Sweden game about 90 seconds.  Romania, 1 crunch, 1 goal.  Norway, 1 save, 1 goal.  That's the first 4 games of the tournament covered in less than 3 minutes in a movie with a runtime of 136 minutes.  West Germany, 1 crunch, 1 goal, 40 seconds.

Next, a scene of Herb Brooks's wife getting him coffee while kids are skating around.  He got a telegram from "a lady in Texas that said "beat those commie bastards"".   This one scene is as long as the entire bandwidth given to group play.

I stand by my assessment: disneytainment packaging, not fit for purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I went and looked and you're right.  I will go back and transcribe what Michaels said during the call of the Finland game.

what's bizarre is that the wiki is wrong, you are right, and the wiki was citing sports illustrated:

https://www.si.com/vault/1980/03/03/824423/the-golden-goal-the-us-went-bonkers-when-mike-eruziones-shot-beat-vladimir-myshkin-for-the-winning-goal-as-americas-team-stunned-the-once-invincible-soviets-en-route-to-the-olympic-title

""Great as it was, there was still a little matter of the gold medal to take care of. Going into Sunday's game against Finland, it was possible for any of the four medal-round teams—the U.S., Finland, Sweden, the U.S.S.R.—to win the gold. Despite its astonishing string of upsets and its 5-0-1 record, the U.S. wasn't even assured of a bronze. But America's Team had come too far to lose.""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice#Olympic_group_play

""The United States did not win the gold medal by defeating the USSR. In 1980, the medal round was a round-robin, not a single elimination format as it is today. Under Olympic rules at the time, the group game with Sweden was counted along with the medal round games versus the Soviet Union and Finland, so it was mathematically possible for the United States to finish anywhere from first to fourth.[43]""

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...