The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

46 minutes ago, G650 said:

One of my long held wacky dreams is to make the ultimate sleeper and take a late 70s LTD, make it AWD with modern traction control and a super HO engine, and just go blow people's doors off at red lights. Which probably shows my age, because the ultimate sleeper now would be a mid 90s Buick Skylark or some shit, people would see the LTD and know something is up.

One of the late 90s-early 00s Camrys that look like a suppository, complete with the requisite dent in the corner of the rear bumper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Fair point - I was mostly thinking about how to best optimize the "invisible and anonymous underperformer" aspect. 

I suppose there are transaxles up to the job (Toronado & Riviera?).  I never really investigated performance FWD.  Does anyone?

A really surreptitious q-ship would be a K-car or X-car.  Probably actually kind of doable with some of these hi-po fourbangers out.

Edited by TwiceHorn

In their day, though, those were kind of the Lancer/Scooby Rex things.  Not a q-ship exactly.  But I guess it's proof of concept.

And one of the problems is that to be a q-ship today, you have to have pretty monstrous hp (say over 350, preferably like 400 or more) because a lot of family trucksters and mild-mannered sedans are pretty damn quick.

9 hours ago, Loco said:

It's their car, who gives a shit?    I had a neighbor with '68 Shelby GT350 numbers matching.  He wanted to actually drive the car, so he hired a red neck to put in modern EFI 350 (with more HP) and drove that around all the time.  Kept the numbers matching motor in storage so the next guy would have the option.  In my opinion it comes down to how you want to use the car...  Something to look at or something to use.

Exactly. This reminds me of when I was thinking about rebuilding my 289 4bl in my 67 mustang notchback and the guy was saying he thought i should do a 347 stroker. I said "but the numbers match," and he said "if having the block and heads with matching numbers for a car this common mean that much to you we'll clean it up and give it a glass top,  and you can use it for a kitchen table."

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose there are transaxles up to the job (Toronado & Riviera?).  I never really investigated performance FWD.  Does anyone?

A really surreptitious q-ship would be a K-car or X-car.  Probably actually kind of doable with some of these hi-po fourbangers out.

I had a Shelby Lancer for a while in the mid 90s that was pretty fun. 

not mine but like mine:

261139.jpg

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would be easiest to bolt that body onto a caprice police interceptor chassis setup. 

No doubt. But that's really well below what I was talking about earlier. Since it's been a decade plus since I've seriously thought about this we can return to the late 70's LTD example.

LTD'S were my first thought because they already came with big block V8s, so it saves a lot of effort. Build a reasonable 460 with a scroll supercharger, and you can get 800 hp or so fairly effortlessly without dipping into having to code a computer to control a more modern engine. At the time you didn't have have AWD systems really set up for the big horsepower like you see these days, so my thought was a C6 with a Borg Warner 1356, but there's a lot more options now.

The suspension is really the meat of making the thing work. You would have to cobble together a lot of parts and fab up A arms, mounts, shock mounts, etc... Not super complex but time consuming. In the rear probably a 4 link solid axle. You have to put tunnels in the floorpan fore and aft to accommodate the 4WD and rear linkage. Traction control with a simple brake sensor system.

The only part I never really figured out was how to get enough rubber on the tires without completely tipping someone off something was up.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Dax Shepard has a tarted up Roadmaster wagon that won't fool any car people, but which is still capable of surprising someone... 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31149/did-you-know-dax-shepard-drives-a-700-hp-1994-buick-roadmaster-station-wagon

This is literally what I am talking about

3 hours ago, G650 said:

No doubt. But that's really well below what I was talking about earlier. Since it's been a decade plus since I've seriously thought about this we can return to the late 70's LTD example.

LTD'S were my first thought because they already came with big block V8s, so it saves a lot of effort. Build a reasonable 460 with a scroll supercharger, and you can get 800 hp or so fairly effortlessly without dipping into having to code a computer to control a more modern engine. At the time you didn't have have AWD systems really set up for the big horsepower like you see these days, so my thought was a C6 with a Borg Warner 1356, but there's a lot more options now.

The suspension is really the meat of making the thing work. You would have to cobble together a lot of parts and fab up A arms, mounts, shock mounts, etc... Not super complex but time consuming. In the rear probably a 4 link solid axle. You have to put tunnels in the floorpan fore and aft to accommodate the 4WD and rear linkage. Traction control with a simple brake sensor system.

The only part I never really figured out was how to get enough rubber on the tires without completely tipping someone off something was up.

An amusing project would be to take a 70s-80s 88 or 98 and do it up like a lowrider or slab but like you're talking about.

15040451-1978-oldsmobile-98-thumb.jpg&f=

Could take it out among our hispanic amigos and maybe win some pink slips.  But yeah the traction would probably be a challenge.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone else dig the Marauder?

a7b8075b99635e1d2acd5346a11ea93e.jpg

I just went down a police car rabbit hole and was reminded of the Marauder.  Yes.

There was also an Impala SS with a Callaway bored and blown small block that made 404hp.  But it had that kind of fastback design that was fugly.

Some of the Holden Caprice and Commodore cop cars were kind of hot, too.  RIP.

• Like 2

Anyone else dig the Marauder?

a7b8075b99635e1d2acd5346a11ea93e.jpg

Yep. Lemme tell ya what Melba Toast is packin right here, alright.

We got a 3:55 Traction Lok out back, four point six liter, dual overhead cam, Cobra intake, 302 horsepower. We’re talkin’ some fuckin’ muscle.

In all seriousness they are cool in a weird way. But I like them. Stealthy Panthers. There’s been a few to T-56 swap.
  • Like 2

The era of the Marauder was pretty fun.  You really had to live through the misery of the 70s and 80s to appreciate what they started doing with V8s in the 90s.

It set the stage for what we have today, but really was more of a quantum leap, with HP increasing 50% without having to go supercar and it seemed like it happened almost overnight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The era of the Marauder was pretty fun.  You really had to live through the misery of the 70s and 80s to appreciate what they started doing with V8s in the 90s.

It set the stage for what we have today, but really was more of a quantum leap, with HP increasing 50% without having to go supercar and it seemed like it happened almost overnight.

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on a '96 Impala SS in about 2000 or so. Still kind of kick myself for letting my dad talk me out of it, but we had a family friend who was at the dealership who privately told me that the only reason it was traded in was because the mother of the young man who had driven it since new was unwilling to pay any more of her son's speeding tickets. That information, coupled with the Mooneyes sticker still in the corner of a rear window, gave me just enough apprehension that I went with a safer option, a '96 Blazer that served me perfectly well. But the fact that I am more nostalgic about the car I didn't buy speaks volumes... 

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Seeing this in the wild was always a thrill.  Kind of like going back even further and seeing a Taurus SHO.  Fuck yes.  

I had forgotten they existed until that pic was posted. Would hoon. 

always liked the first gen Infiniti M45 too which had the same boxy look. 
2004_infiniti_m45.jpg

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

so true - 300hp and 0-60 in under 7 seconds was hot shit then. Now that's base camry territory. Shit, even the hybrid gets there in 7. 

• Like 1