Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Anyone have experience with DIY painting dated wood kitchen cabinets?

I recently updated the cabinets in our master bath by painting them with a roller/brush combo and it was a giant pain in the ass. It just about broke my back. They look great and I'm happy with the final result, but the amount of time it took for such a small job was a  good indicator of the massive undertaking it would be to take the same approach in our kitchen. 

So I've narrowed it down to contracting it out or doing it myself with a spray gun. Any tips or suggestions for either option and what would I be looking at cost-wise?

I did it recently in my bathroom w a spray gun. What I learned:

The most important step to not skip is proper prep work. I.e. sanding, cleaning, taping, etc.

Select the right paint to make sure it won't peel or chip after

There is a pretty good learning curve on the gun. Not too heavy, not too light.

Cleanup still sucks either way if you want to make sure that gun works next time

4 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I did it recently in my bathroom w a spray gun. What I learned:

The most important step to not skip is proper prep work. I.e. sanding, cleaning, taping, etc.

Select the right paint to make sure it won't peel or chip after

There is a pretty good learning curve on the gun. Not too heavy, not too light.

Cleanup still sucks either way if you want to make sure that gun works next time

Yep, definitely understand the importance of all the prep work. Our bathroom cabinets required three coats of paint and one coat of primer. Four doors times two sides per door times sanding and cleaning before and between each coat....pain in the ass. It was not easy with roller and brush to get just the right coverage, especially along the beveled edges, without any brush marks or paint globs. I can't imagine how craptastic it would be doing an entire kitchen that way.

What kind of paint did you use and what spray gun? Any particular recommendation for the nozzle as well?  Did you set it up in the garage Dexter style?

Follow The Idaho Painter on YouTube. He looks kinda douchy but he has really great videos.

I'm about to sell this house and needed to get stuff done quick and cheap. Bought the better grade SW paint from Lowes. I already had a lower pressure tip from another job so used that...310 graco green tip I think. I did set up dexter style in the garage but rest assured, that paint still gets everywhere. Also, no way you will find a ventilator right now w COVID so hope you already have one. I didnt pay attention and didnt wear it on the first coat which resulted in me tasting metal all day.

• Like 1

I sanded ours down and restrained them. Fuck that noise, get a quote. I’ve got a graco x5 that I like and a graco vsp360 I haven’t used for anything yet. A lot of people recommend hvlp for kitchen stuff.
Proper prep takes time. Or your concerned about it getting in an AC duct, plastic and tape it.

I used an HVLP to spray mine and they turned out pretty good. I'd spray heavier coats if I did it again. I'd also see if I could rent an airless gun like the pros use.

I went with a paint called Inslx Cabinet Coat which is owned by Benjamin Moore. Primed with Zinsser 123. They've held up pretty well over the past few years.

• Like 1

Not sure if you’re in Austin but we had ours done last year, ugly oak repainted white.  Was about $2k for the kitchen, utility room and office nook, and also the bannisters on the stairs. They took off the doors and drawer faces and did them at their shop and then reinstalled them.  For reference that was like 30 cabinet doors (individual) and 10 drawers or so. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Okie State said:

I used an HVLP to spray mine and they turned out pretty good. I'd spray heavier coats if I did it again. I'd also see if I could rent an airless gun like the pros use.

I went with a paint called Inslx Cabinet Coat which is owned by Benjamin Moore. Primed with Zinsser 123. They've held up pretty well over the past few years.

I own an airless, but I wouldn't paint cabinets with it I don't think.  

Not really.  They paint walls and ceilings with the airless, and cut the trim in with a brush.
Maybe with remodels? When a house is being built I know for a fact at least some of them spray trim, cabinets, and doors. I can tell the trim and doors in mine were...although they did a shitty job. Ain't no way on hell they're painting that with a brush if they don't have to.

I've painted a bare wood built in before.  It sucked, but here's a tip that I haven't seen mentioned.  If you're not spraying them, the trick to getting them super smooth with no brush strokes is to cut the paint with about 25% paint thinner or more.  Brush strokes and roll nap melt away and you get that super smooth as glass finish. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I've painted a bare wood built in before.  It sucked, but here's a tip that I haven't seen mentioned.  If you're not spraying them, the trick to getting them super smooth with no brush strokes is to cut the paint with about 25% paint thinner or more.  Brush strokes and roll nap melt away and you get that super smooth as glass finish. 

There are over the counter additives that do that as well.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Not sure if you’re in Austin but we had ours done last year, ugly oak repainted white.  Was about $2k for the kitchen, utility room and office nook, and also the bannisters on the stairs. They took off the doors and drawer faces and did them at their shop and then reinstalled them.  For reference that was like 30 cabinet doors (individual) and 10 drawers or so. 

Who'd you use?

• 1 month later...

Probably too late for the OP but binding primer in your friend. Just degrease and paint.  Here is my previous posting on it and pix of two kitchens I did with it-  https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/104-wives-and-the-stupid-shit-they-saydo/page/177/&tab=comments#comment-1864442

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 6 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, Gil Bang said:

Not really.  They paint walls and ceilings with the airless, and cut the trim in with a brush.

I consider myself a pro. I usually spray the trim - with a nice design. 

BTW, my neighbor in Austin used inexpensive hispanic labor and it turned out nice. I could probably find out who he used, but it would take awhile because they sold after making the renovations.

Edited by Bevo