Reader glasses and the Texas DMV

My 'olds" is kicking in and about 18 months ago, I started needing readers to read most any text. I can still see my golf ball clearly from 265 yards as it rolls into the sand trap and I definitely have no issue reading signs on the highway.

I also just got notice from the DMV that my license is expiring in September and I have to physically go renew it.

I am unable to find a clear answer to how reader glasses effect my drivers license?

If I have to use the readers to read the eye chart, it seems like they will put something on my license that says I have to wear glasses to drive. However, if I wear readers while I am driving, that would immediately put myself and every single person near me on the road in imminent danger because I wouldn't be able to see shit outside of the car.

Is there some sort of process that I need to go through? Do I need to go to an eye doctor to get something that says I can see road signs clearly and readers would make it dangerous for me to drive? Is the eye chart such that I won't actually need the readers to pass the test?

If I am going to be required to go to an eye doctor, I'd rather do that before going and wasting half  fucking day at the DMV only to be told to go do that and come back and waste another half a fucking day.

It seems odd that there is no clear direction on this online.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance.

What power of readers? I have 2.5s and wear them all the time at work.

Can’t read a newspaper print outright without them unless I tilt my head down and look just under my brow. Seems like the curve of your eyeball magnifies or allows you to focus enough to read. Can’t do that very long but was enough during the test.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

What power of readers? I have 2.5s and wear them all the time at work.

Can’t read a newspaper print outright without them unless I tilt my head down and look just under my brow. Seems like the curve of your eyeball magnifies or allows you to focus enough to read. Can’t do that very long but was enough during the test.

I think I am wearing 1.75 currently.

I can squint and with enough time and in the right light, I can still read surly on the browser of my phone if I REALLY want to. Maybe that's the answer? Maybe I'll just be able to fake it enough in the test to get me to my next renewal.

Still seems like there should be some defined policy available.

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

My 'olds" is kicking in and about 18 months ago, I started needing readers to read most any text. I can still see my golf ball clearly from 265 yards as it rolls into the sand trap and I definitely have no issue reading signs on the highway.

I also just got notice from the DMV that my license is expiring in September and I have to physically go renew it.

I am unable to find a clear answer to how reader glasses effect my drivers license?

If I have to use the readers to read the eye chart, it seems like they will put something on my license that says I have to wear glasses to drive. However, if I wear readers while I am driving, that would immediately put myself and every single person near me on the road in imminent danger because I wouldn't be able to see shit outside of the car.

Is there some sort of process that I need to go through? Do I need to go to an eye doctor to get something that says I can see road signs clearly and readers would make it dangerous for me to drive? Is the eye chart such that I won't actually need the readers to pass the test?

If I am going to be required to go to an eye doctor, I'd rather do that before going and wasting half  fucking day at the DMV only to be told to go do that and come back and waste another half a fucking day.

It seems odd that there is no clear direction on this online.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance.

If you need readers you're aren't going to pass the eye test.  You probably need to hit the eye doctor for real glasses.

FWIW, my uncorrected distance vision is decent, but not 20/20, more like 20/30. For reading newspaper-size text on paper, I need glasses (I think they are  x1.5 or 1.75) unless I have good lighting. I still passed the eye test (or so they told me) without too much trouble. Maybe I guessed at a few of the letters or numbers.

Edited by Paper_jam

Ok here you go. I just went through this.

Book an appt in Taylor Texas. There are 2 people working. The eye chart is on the back of their chair and they will turn it around and ask you to read the 2nd or 3rd line down.....don’t remember which. Anyway, while you’re waiting you’re turn just memorize it. It’s only 5 letters. pFLMT or something.

I just memorized it and don’t have to wear glasses while driving for the first time in 30 years.

But I do. Because I don’t see so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eye doc gave me contacts that have one for near vision and one for far. Greatest thing ever. Haven't needed readers in three years. 

You mentioned this before and I might need to try it. Only problem is if you lose one contact or are stumbling around one eyed drunk.

9 minutes ago, Updawg said:

You mentioned this before and I might need to try it. Only problem is if you lose one contact or are stumbling around one eyed drunk.

Just close the eye you need. Lol. It has been a game changer. 

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Book an appt in Taylor Texas. There are 2 people working. The eye chart is on the back of their chair and they will turn it around and ask you to read the 2nd or 3rd line down.....don’t remember which. Anyway, while you’re waiting you’re turn just memorize it. It’s only 5 letters. pFLMT or something.

I just memorized it and don’t have to wear glasses while driving for the first time in 30 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh__Anjhn6M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Smart! Thanks!

How far out did you have to make your appointment? How long were you there?

Went to lunch with my buddy today. He just went through this. He held the menu away from The table about 6 feet from me and asked me to read some the larger text. I got most of what he asked me and he said I will pass it easily. 

Im gonna do the Taylor thing for sure because it is not too far out of my way.

Thanks everyone else as well. I’ll report back the findings as soon as I finish it.

Smart! Thanks!

Went to lunch with my buddy today. He just went through this. He held the menu away from The table about 6 feet from me and asked me to read some the larger text. I got most of what he asked me and he said I will pass it easily. 

Thanks everyone else as well. I’ll report back the findings as soon as I finish it.

Few weeks. Not sure what the timeline is right now.

Go to plowmans for lunch and get the chicken fried steak with Mac and cheese. Jalapeño gravy. One of the best I’ve ever had and I’m kinda a connoisseur of all things chicken fried.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just did my "Real ID" in-person license renewal at the Pflugerville DPS license center today.  It was a piece of cake. Due to the Covid stuff, they just make you read a physical chart on the wall using both eyes-- no testing of one eye vs. the other.  I passed the vision test without wearing the one contact that I usually only wear at night.  I was able to remove the prior vision restriction from my new license. 

Can't say enough about how smooth the new online appointment process worked.  I had an 8 am appointment, they let me in at 7:45 am and my license was issued at 8:06 am.  I'd already filled out and printed the license application available online, so that seemed to speed up the process.  Wholly unlike a typical gubmint operation.  Kudos to them.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
Smart! Thanks!

Update?

I just got back from my appointment to renew my license at the Houston North Mega Center.  The first thing they do when you go in (after the plague screening) is to ask you what your'e there for, and if it's something that requires a vision test they send you there first.  They're using an eye chart on a wall that looks like it was printed on a copy machine.  You have to identify a colored line as either red or green.  The bottom line is red and the top line is green.  Then they make you read the top line of the chart.  Forward with one eye and backward with the other.  The chart didn't look like it had been changed recently and the top line is FECFD.  I memorized it when the person in front of me was doing it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Same predicament back in March. I emailed DMV and they replied with go see the eye doctor.  I went online and filled out the renew application for shits and they accepted it.  I got my new license in the mail without having to go in. Maybe b/c it was during the shutdown, but something you could try. 

• 6 months later...

HaHA!  I just did this last week, and got my new license today.  Looks like I aged 20 years with the new photo..  I wear prescription bifocals and just barely passed without needing glasses.  I actually did not think about it until maybe 5 minutes before my number was called.  I had taken the glasses off for that 5 minutes to let my eyes adjust some, and damn if I could not read the line I needed to.  I always wear my glasses, but I also thought WTF if I do not HAVE to wear them legally I do not want that on my license.  The new licenses are weird looking.  All blurry around the edges of the face sort of like an old time oval photo.

You would also just bring binoculars while you are waiting and memorize the rows you need to.  Ala the coke bottle glassed Donald Sutherland in "Space Cowboys."

• Like 1