Jump to content
Orange&White

Reader glasses and the Texas DMV

Recommended Posts

My 'olds" is kicking in and about 18 months ago, I started needing readers to read most any text. I can still see my golf ball clearly from 265 yards as it rolls into the sand trap and I definitely have no issue reading signs on the highway.

I also just got notice from the DMV that my license is expiring in September and I have to physically go renew it.

I am unable to find a clear answer to how reader glasses effect my drivers license?

If I have to use the readers to read the eye chart, it seems like they will put something on my license that says I have to wear glasses to drive. However, if I wear readers while I am driving, that would immediately put myself and every single person near me on the road in imminent danger because I wouldn't be able to see shit outside of the car.

Is there some sort of process that I need to go through? Do I need to go to an eye doctor to get something that says I can see road signs clearly and readers would make it dangerous for me to drive? Is the eye chart such that I won't actually need the readers to pass the test?

If I am going to be required to go to an eye doctor, I'd rather do that before going and wasting half  fucking day at the DMV only to be told to go do that and come back and waste another half a fucking day.

It seems odd that there is no clear direction on this online.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no answer, but I’m in the same situation. The last time I had to renew in person. I managed to pass the eye test after a couple of tries, but I know this time there’s no way. I’ve been driving with an expired license for almost a year so I’m going to have to figure something out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What power of readers? I have 2.5s and wear them all the time at work.

Can’t read a newspaper print outright without them unless I tilt my head down and look just under my brow. Seems like the curve of your eyeball magnifies or allows you to focus enough to read. Can’t do that very long but was enough during the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidg said:

What power of readers? I have 2.5s and wear them all the time at work.

Can’t read a newspaper print outright without them unless I tilt my head down and look just under my brow. Seems like the curve of your eyeball magnifies or allows you to focus enough to read. Can’t do that very long but was enough during the test.

I think I am wearing 1.75 currently.

I can squint and with enough time and in the right light, I can still read surly on the browser of my phone if I REALLY want to. Maybe that's the answer? Maybe I'll just be able to fake it enough in the test to get me to my next renewal.

Still seems like there should be some defined policy available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

My 'olds" is kicking in and about 18 months ago, I started needing readers to read most any text. I can still see my golf ball clearly from 265 yards as it rolls into the sand trap and I definitely have no issue reading signs on the highway.

I also just got notice from the DMV that my license is expiring in September and I have to physically go renew it.

I am unable to find a clear answer to how reader glasses effect my drivers license?

If I have to use the readers to read the eye chart, it seems like they will put something on my license that says I have to wear glasses to drive. However, if I wear readers while I am driving, that would immediately put myself and every single person near me on the road in imminent danger because I wouldn't be able to see shit outside of the car.

Is there some sort of process that I need to go through? Do I need to go to an eye doctor to get something that says I can see road signs clearly and readers would make it dangerous for me to drive? Is the eye chart such that I won't actually need the readers to pass the test?

If I am going to be required to go to an eye doctor, I'd rather do that before going and wasting half  fucking day at the DMV only to be told to go do that and come back and waste another half a fucking day.

It seems odd that there is no clear direction on this online.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance.

If you need readers you're aren't going to pass the eye test.  You probably need to hit the eye doctor for real glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

If you need readers you're aren't going to pass the eye test.  You probably need to hit the eye doctor for real glasses.

I'm glad you're not my optometrist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FWIW, my uncorrected distance vision is decent, but not 20/20, more like 20/30. For reading newspaper-size text on paper, I need glasses (I think they are  x1.5 or 1.75) unless I have good lighting. I still passed the eye test (or so they told me) without too much trouble. Maybe I guessed at a few of the letters or numbers.

 

 

Edited by Paper_jam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I faced this a few years ago. Was wearing the readers right before I took the test. Didn't work to well. Take heart. Gave my eyes a few seconds to adjust and passed the test. My advice. Don't wear the readers for the half hour prior to the test. (I hate that fucking test)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here you go. I just went through this.

Book an appt in Taylor Texas. There are 2 people working. The eye chart is on the back of their chair and they will turn it around and ask you to read the 2nd or 3rd line down.....don’t remember which. Anyway, while you’re waiting you’re turn just memorize it. It’s only 5 letters. pFLMT or something.

I just memorized it and don’t have to wear glasses while driving for the first time in 30 years.

But I do. Because I don’t see so good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Get 1 contact lense

Eye doc gave me contacts that have one for near vision and one for far. Greatest thing ever. Haven't needed readers in three years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eye doc gave me contacts that have one for near vision and one for far. Greatest thing ever. Haven't needed readers in three years. 

You mentioned this before and I might need to try it. Only problem is if you lose one contact or are stumbling around one eyed drunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Updawg said:


You mentioned this before and I might need to try it. Only problem is if you lose one contact or are stumbling around one eyed drunk.

Just close the eye you need. Lol. It has been a game changer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Ok here you go. I just went through this.

Book an appt in Taylor Texas. There are 2 people working. The eye chart is on the back of their chair and they will turn it around and ask you to read the 2nd or 3rd line down.....don’t remember which. Anyway, while you’re waiting you’re turn just memorize it. It’s only 5 letters. pFLMT or something.

I just memorized it and don’t have to wear glasses while driving for the first time in 30 years.

But I do. Because I don’t see so good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh__Anjhn6M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Ok here you go. I just went through this.

Book an appt in Taylor Texas. There are 2 people working. The eye chart is on the back of their chair and they will turn it around and ask you to read the 2nd or 3rd line down.....don’t remember which. Anyway, while you’re waiting you’re turn just memorize it. It’s only 5 letters. pFLMT or something.

I just memorized it and don’t have to wear glasses while driving for the first time in 30 years.

But I do. Because I don’t see so good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smart! Thanks!
 

How far out did you have to make your appointment? How long were you there?
 

Went to lunch with my buddy today. He just went through this. He held the menu away from The table about 6 feet from me and asked me to read some the larger text. I got most of what he asked me and he said I will pass it easily. 
 

Im gonna do the Taylor thing for sure because it is not too far out of my way.

 

Thanks everyone else as well. I’ll report back the findings as soon as I finish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smart! Thanks!
 
How far out did you have to make your appointment? How long were you there?
 
Went to lunch with my buddy today. He just went through this. He held the menu away from The table about 6 feet from me and asked me to read some the larger text. I got most of what he asked me and he said I will pass it easily. 
 
Im gonna do the Taylor thing for sure because it is not too far out of my way.
 
Thanks everyone else as well. I’ll report back the findings as soon as I finish it.

Few weeks. Not sure what the timeline is right now.

Go to plowmans for lunch and get the chicken fried steak with Mac and cheese. Jalapeño gravy. One of the best I’ve ever had and I’m kinda a connoisseur of all things chicken fried.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eye doc gave me contacts that have one for near vision and one for far. Greatest thing ever. Haven't needed readers in three years. 

I’ve had that for about 12 years. It’s not working so well anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thought the vision test was more for distance and not right up in your face.  

You put your eyes into some kind of scope that shows a bunch of fuzzy images and you hve to figure out which are closest, or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just did my "Real ID" in-person license renewal at the Pflugerville DPS license center today.  It was a piece of cake. Due to the Covid stuff, they just make you read a physical chart on the wall using both eyes-- no testing of one eye vs. the other.  I passed the vision test without wearing the one contact that I usually only wear at night.  I was able to remove the prior vision restriction from my new license. 

Can't say enough about how smooth the new online appointment process worked.  I had an 8 am appointment, they let me in at 7:45 am and my license was issued at 8:06 am.  I'd already filled out and printed the license application available online, so that seemed to speed up the process.  Wholly unlike a typical gubmint operation.  Kudos to them.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point in that I currently wouldn’t want to place my face on the eye test device right now. Makes sense they either have switched or have to offer a distance test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...