Jhawk

Kansas is Hopeless...

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Wow. Isn’t he a senior? Why not play and grad transfer??

if I understand correctly, this is his 4th year,  hes played in each season, so he needs to redshirt to be able to transfer with eligibility. 

16 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

its looking more and more likely that Khalil Herbert suddenly and without telling anyone quit the team today  less than an hour before kickoff and its trying to enter the transfer portal to get a redshirt this year.  

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2019/sep/28/notebook-after-missing-tcu-game-khalil-herberts-st/

wow. 

Based on the KU boards the same thing might have happened with Prox (their leading tackler). 

Crazy, their leading rusher and top tackler might have quit before the TCU game. Kansas really is a dumpster fire. It might just be an injury for Prox though. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Wife and I got free tix to see Dorothy & Toto play the Froggies so we went.  Had a ptsd flashback to 2015 where Texas trailed 30-0 after 1 quarter.  KU had 49 yards at halftime, 0-10 on 3rd down, and TCU looked like Alabama leading 38-0 at the half.  We left with 7:15 left in the 2nd qtr and proceeded to Los Vaqueros to lunch and air conditioned game watching. Hopeless is being kind to the Jayhawks-turrrible is more like it.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wow. Fourth-leading rusher in the Big 12, senior team captain, just up and leaves. Another D'Eriq King situation.

Don’t know if I blame the kid if he thinks he’s a pro, but this is one of those moves that either works great or ends his career because he doesn’t catch on at the next spot. I personally don’t think he has the speed to be a pro but maybe something is there for him. 

I doubt this has anything to do with the coaching staff. But with a competent QB at his next stop he will look like a great back. 

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Don’t know if I blame the kid if he thinks he’s a pro, but this is one of those moves that either works great or ends his career because he doesn’t catch on at the next spot. I personally don’t think he has the speed to be a pro but maybe something is there for him. 

I doubt this has anything to do with the coaching staff. But with a competent QB at his next stop he will look like a great back. 

It's rare for a program to not have increased attrition with a new staff. Impacted the most are the more senior players because the new staff is usually starting from scratch with everyone wrt playing time, evaluations and building rapport. Not to mention new staff wants to build a team by favoring "their" guys. As a player you have to either go along to get along or just move along.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, the new KU OC Analyst Brent Dearmon may be  "KU's OC In Waiting".  Some believe that the hiring of Les Koenning was just a stopgap decision for Les Miles due to the loss of Chip Lindsey to Troy.  Get someone ( Koenning) that runs similar style to Chip Lindsey.... and hope that Dearmon pans out and later takes over OC for KU.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/les-miles-hires-naia-head-coach-to-support-staff/

^^^^^This aged well^^^^

Kansas announces that offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been relieved of his duties. Brent Dearmon has been promoted to OC.

Kansas fires OC Les Koenning, promotes analyst Brent Dearmon

Adam Rittenberg  ESPN Senior Writer

Three weeks after Kansas scored 48 points in a historic road win against Boston College, offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been fired.  First-year coach Les Miles on Sunday announced Koenning's dismissal, a day after the Jayhawks' 45-20 home loss to Oklahoma. Brent Dearmon, who had served as a senior offensive analyst for KU, has been promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Kansas averaged only 17.8 points in its five games other than Boston College. The Jayhawks rank 101st nationally in scoring, 102nd in yards, 104th in passing and 116th in first downs per game.  "This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future," Miles said in a prepared statement. "There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.".  He added of Dearmon: "Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching. His experience as a record-setting coach and quarterback at the collegiate level will benefit our offense immediately. I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent's leadership and coaching ability."

Dearmon spent the 2018 season as head coach at Bethel University, an NAIA program. Bethel averaged 55 points and 540.3 yards per game. Dearmon also has been offensive coordinator at Division II Arkansas Tech, and spent two seasons as an analyst for Gus Malzahn at Auburn.

Koenning, who coached running backs at Southern Miss in 2018, has held coordinator posts at seven schools, including Alabama and Texas A&M, before joining the Kansas staff.  Kansas owes Koenning a total of $1 million for the remainder of this season and next season.

Kansas is off this week before visiting Texas on Oct. 19.

15 hours ago, JayhawkRPh said:

What were they expecting?  It’s not like Snoop Dog is a model citizen. I don’t think he added ‘acrobatic’ dancers as a new item 

what's the RPh? Run pass hoping?

31 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

With new OC Brent Dearmon, Kansas may not be hopeless anymore.... 😕

I think they’ll regress to the mean. 

Texas is hopeless.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

With new OC Brent Dearmon, Kansas may not be hopeless anymore.... 😕

Kansas just beat Tech tonight!!!  😀

We need to pay Dearmon some venebles money. If he is the OC in August and we have any sort of special teams play at all we are 6-2 right now and ties for second in the conference. Kansas is coming for your jiblets. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

We need to pay Dearmon some venebles money. If he is the OC in August and we have any sort of special teams play at all we are 6-2 right now and ties for second in the conference. Kansas is coming for your jiblets. 

You seriously think you'd be 6-2 just because of your OC? Wow!

Problem is, he is doing well because Les is his coach.  He goes somewhere else with a dickhead coach that hinders his creativity.  Les probably (I'm assuming because he's old and tired) allows him to call the fucking game without meddling in his shit.  Les shows up, lets the coaches coach and he rah rahs the team.  Perfect hire for KU actually.  I thought much like Herm at ASU, this would be a joke.  Apparently though, you bring in the old man who's seen it all and combine forces with young new ideas....just manage the process and waalah, you've got more wins than last year.

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

This is no time for humor.

I think we would only have picked up the Coastal Carolina game as a win with Dearmon calling plays.  Maybe WVU, but we kind of lucked into the win vs. Tech with the bonehead play at the end. I'll keep that WVU game as an L due to that. So 4-4 with a good shot at a bowl game.   Dearmon has made a hell of a difference in our offense. I just hope it continues and he can adapt once other teams get a good amount of film on his schemes.  KU has an outside shot at a bowl game this year, which I would never have expected at the start of this season. I thought 3 wins was our ceiling, and probably was if Koenning was still OC. We have some good WRs and some strong RBs. Stanley should have been starting the last couple years, but that dumb ass Beaty could never see it. I think every season by the end, Stanley was starting; but, only after whatever QB Beaty had brought in that year to be the starter, shit the bed. The OL is still not very good, but Stanley has mobility and with our RBs playing well, other teams have to respect the run.

The defense is doing better than I expected, considering how depleted we are there. Until we get some depth and some DL talent it will constantly struggle.

Special teams are terrible again. Our FG/PAT team is the worst I have ever seen. How many blocked kicks and missed FG/PATs do we have this season? Probably due again to our lack of talent on the OL. The kicker is probably crap as well, but hard to judge when the OL is being pushed back into him. Special teams will continue to suck until we get some talented depth or play more starters on them.

To take a big step forward we have to get some talent and depth on the defensive and offensive lines.

I also said said if we had any special teams competency at all. We missed two field goals against Texas. We would have beat coastal Carolina Witt Dearmon and we probably would have beat WVU if you watched how bad our offense was. 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, Jhawkmvp said:

I think we would only have picked up the Coastal Carolina game as a win with Dearmon calling plays.  Maybe WVU, but we kind of lucked into the win vs. Tech with the bonehead play at the end. I'll keep that WVU game as an L due to that. So 4-4 with a good shot at a bowl game.   Dearmon has made a hell of a difference in our offense. I just hope it continues and he can adapt once other teams get a good amount of film on his schemes.  KU has an outside shot at a bowl game this year, which I would never have expected at the start of this season. I thought 3 wins was our ceiling, and probably was if Koenning was still OC. We have some good WRs and some strong RBs. Stanley should have been starting the last couple years, but that dumb ass Beaty could never see it. I think every season by the end, Stanley was starting; but, only after whatever QB Beaty had brought in that year to be the starter, shit the bed. The OL is still not very good, but Stanley has mobility and with our RBs playing well, other teams have to respect the run.

The defense is doing better than I expected, considering how depleted we are there. Until we get some depth and some DL talent it will constantly struggle.

Special teams are terrible again. Our FG/PAT team is the worst I have ever seen. How many blocked kicks and missed FG/PATs do we have this season? Probably due again to our lack of talent on the OL. The kicker is probably crap as well, but hard to judge when the OL is being pushed back into him. Special teams will continue to suck until we get some talented depth or play more starters on them.

To take a big step forward we have to get some talent and depth on the defensive and offensive lines.

I mean, we fell down 17-0 against Tech but outplayed them the rest of the game. Fluke play or not, it would have went to OT and we had all the momentum.

Coastal would have been a victory for sure, and probably WVU. Texas he was OC and we still lost so we dont pick that game up. I guarantee we play TCU and OU closer than we did though.

We are currently 3-5, could have probably been 5-3 though which is remarkable all things considered. One of the two missed FGs vs Texas and Dearmon as OC and 6-2 might have been a reality.

But it's not. The reality is 3-5. If we can get to 5 wins this year I would be so absolutely thrilled with this season.

6 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

I mean, we fell down 17-0 against Tech but outplayed them the rest of the game. Fluke play or not, it would have went to OT and we had all the momentum.

Coastal would have been a victory for sure, and probably WVU. Texas he was OC and we still lost so we dont pick that game up. I guarantee we play TCU and OU closer than we did though.

We are currently 3-5, could have probably been 5-3 though which is remarkable all things considered. One of the two missed FGs vs Texas and Dearmon as OC and 6-2 might have been a reality.

But it's not. The reality is 3-5. If we can get to 5 wins this year I would be so absolutely thrilled with this season.

Congrats to KU for improving enough to make their K-State game today worth watching... 😀

It's weird saying "Texas gets KSU off a highly competitive game with their in state rival" with a straight face.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jayhawks losing their S&C Director...

Missouri: Kansas director of strength and conditioning Zac Woodfin is heading to Missouri, sources tell FootballScoop.

Hawai’i: We’re told Tony Hull is joining the staff in a co-offensive coordinator role. Until recently the associate head coach and running backs coach at Kansas, Hull announced his departure from Lawrence today.

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-kansas-hiring-one-of-the-top-small-college-coaches-in-college-football/

Source: Kansas hiring one of the top small college coaches in college football

By Doug Samuels.     February 14, 2020

When Les Miles got the job at Kansas, he was able to hire Bethel (NAIA – TN) head coach Brent Dearmon as a senior offensive consultant. Dearmon, regarded as one of the best offensive minds in small college football, was coming off his first season as the head coach at his alma mater, where he led the program to the best finish in school history, a #3 national ranking and led the country with 55 points per game.  On October 6th, following Miles’ decision to fire Les Koenning after a slow start to the season, Dearmon was promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Now, source tells FootballScoop that Miles again plans to bring one of the best small college coaches to Lawrence, this time on the defensive side of the ball in Marian’s (NAIA – IN) Brock Caraboa.    Caraboa spent the past four seasons as the team’s defensive coordinator, and is a former player and graduate assistant with the program that quickly climbed the ranks. He’s led a number of top NAIA defenses and has been a finalist for the FootballScoop NAIA Coordinator of the Year award a number of times now. Caraboa has been at Marian since they started the program as a player (2007) and has spent the past ten years on the staff in some capacity. The program has won two national titles since 2012 and is perennially one of the top programs in NAIA.

We understand Caraboa will serve as a senior analyst on the Jayhawks staff.

I don’t know why more coaches don’t do what Les Miles is doing. Football is football. If you know it and you’re good at coaching it, it’s similar enough at every level to have success. Are the coaches too egotistical?