Prison movies

billfromlaketravis

Isn't the unifying theme that prison plays a key part in the story ?  Just because there are prison scenes doesn't make it a prison movie.  Con Air kinda straddles that concept, it is a flying prison.  

You could maybe say Cape Fear is a prison movie because the prison aspect is what drives the revenge story, but I'd still say that's a stretch. The Count of Monte Cristo could also qualify along those lines.

No love for The Defiant Ones yet?!!

In 1950s America, members of a chain gang are being transported through the South when their truck crashes. Two of the convicts, John "Joker" Jackson (Tony Curtis) and Noah Cullen (Sidney Poitier), who are chained together, find an opportunity to escape. Jackson is white, Cullen is black and, at first, the men appear to be opposites in every way. But as they flee across the country, the two form a deep bond. A female landowner leads Jackson to make a difficult decision about his own freedom.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

No love for The Defiant Ones yet?!!

In 1950s America, members of a chain gang are being transported through the South when their truck crashes. Two of the convicts, John "Joker" Jackson (Tony Curtis) and Noah Cullen (Sidney Poitier), who are chained together, find an opportunity to escape. Jackson is white, Cullen is black and, at first, the men appear to be opposites in every way. But as they flee across the country, the two form a deep bond. A female landowner leads Jackson to make a difficult decision about his own freedom.

Big deal when it was released, a black man, and a white man chained together was bad enough, that they could become friends was beyond the pale for some folks.  And who doesn't love a Sydney Poitier movie ??  I celebrate the mans entire catalog.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

It seems there are people that haven’t seen Starred Up. Remedy that.

Big fan of Brawl In Cellblock 99.

Just watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night about Billy Moore the English boxer who spent time in a Thailand prison and ended up competing in Muay Thai tournaments. It’s a difficult watch in some parts and was a little slow for the subject matter. I don’t think I can recommend it personally, but everyone else that sees it loves it so what do I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro