Surly we have some work to do on Mike Stoops

blacklab

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Maybe Mike Stoops' finest hour.  Baylor got the ball at the 20, Stoops gave them cushions like that above, and Art Briles called 7 or 8 straight 8-10 yard slants.  Touchdown.

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is correct. This was a done deal, the only reason it isn't happening is because someone at Bama leaked it, and the BMD's lost their minds on Hartzell and CDC.

Everyone should remember this. It doesn't bode well on sark's judgement, but in my opinion more of a concern is that it bodes real poorly on CDC. 

I'm fucking pissed about this.  Maybe if you're that scared about making a hire that you're thinking up idiotsavant midnight hour schemes to sneak it through...idk...DON'T FUCKIN TRY IT??? I'm not sure if I should be more pissed that things got that far and they pussied out or that this shit got that far to begin with with that useless coked out piece of shit. Nobody should've had to waste their time intervening in this shit. BMDs, etc...and I can't even blame them for doing it because it was such a fuckawful braindead decision by Sark and CDC. 

The ONLY silver lining is that Sark or PK lined up a good to very good coach that should've been the guy from the beginning.

Is there some physical conservation law of coaching ineptitude in place? Why do these chucklefucks keep trying to shoot themselves in the dick out the gate? I killed it on my first 9 decisions...welp guess I gotta pick someone shitty enough to cancel them out!

Somebody send a link to Augie's locker room rant to Sark. Sometimes I watch that when I'm being a dumbass about something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CFBcommenter said:

Moops would be a good position coach, just not coordinator. 

I need you to explain with evidence this would be true because he has been a disaster everywhere he has gone.  So this would've been different, how?

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

Moops would be a good position coach, just not coordinator. 
Even if this was true, all accounts suggest that the guy is an asshole who coaches and players hate working with. There are plenty of talented coordinators who are not.

If being an asshole isn't enough, this would've been the easiest negative recruiting gift to our rivals. Sure, he's only a position coach, but at one of the most important positions in this defense. Can you imagine the pitch from ou when we're both after a 5 star lb? There's no question how that would go down, and what's worse is there's nothing on Stoops' resume to say that they're wrong. If I was a stud lb recruit looking at Mike Stoops, I'd have no reason for optimism based on his resume today.

Add to that, he's sark's guy, not coach k's. So he would've immediately saddled this dc with a coordinator who handicaps recruiting and who coaches and players hate working with. Instead, now we have a guy who coach K knows and who knows his system, and at very worst is a net neutral in recruiting.

This should've been the easy choice from the start and the fact that it wasn't is the first questionable move sark has made in his time here. Winning will go a long way to helping everyone forget this happened, though, so let's get on to that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I can't say I've been impressed. Talking with various buddies, he can raise money, but actually running a big time program seems like he doesn't get it. I was great at TCU, but I wonder how much of his life was easier and no one cared because he had a stable coach at FB and made a great hire at baseball. Actually digging us out of a hole at Texas and running the day to day operation he seems lost at times. But that's just my opinion. I am really worried that this is the guy who's going to be in charge of us during the next round of realignment. We need to get good at fucking football again and FAST so that will be difficult to fuck up. 

I have some ties into CDC and he has said to others that Texas is a whole different beast than TCU.

At TCU, there was very little oversight of his activities and he had freedom to do things without a lot of approvals. He’s learning to adjust to Texas where there is a lot more oversight. It’s just like a big company vs small company situation. The size is way bigger. The stakes are bigger and it’s more bureaucratic.

So the question will be whether he can adjust, and wants to adjust, to that bigger environment. He is supposedly a quality guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have some ties into CDC and he has said to others that Texas is a whole different beast than TCU.

At TCU, there was very little oversight of his activities and he had freedom to do things without a lot of approvals. He’s learning to adjust to Texas where there is a lot more oversight. It’s just like a big company vs small company situation. The size is way bigger. The stakes are bigger and it’s more bureaucratic.

So the question will be whether he can adjust, and wants to adjust, to that bigger environment. He is supposedly a quality guy. 

Considering Mike Stoops for any role on the coaching staff at TEXAS significantly hurts CDC's "quality guy" persona... just an unbelievably stupid decision.

Thank the Football God's that the deal got killed by whoever pulled the plug... 

8 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm fucking pissed about this.  Maybe if you're that scared about making a hire that you're thinking up idiotsavant midnight hour schemes to sneak it through...idk...DON'T FUCKIN TRY IT??? I'm not sure if I should be more pissed that things got that far and they pussied out or that this shit got that far to begin with with that useless coked out piece of shit. Nobody should've had to waste their time intervening in this shit. BMDs, etc...and I can't even blame them for doing it because it was such a fuckawful braindead decision by Sark and CDC. 

The ONLY silver lining is that Sark or PK lined up a good to very good coach that should've been the guy from the beginning.

Is there some physical conservation law of coaching ineptitude in place? Why do these chucklefucks keep trying to shoot themselves in the dick out the gate? I killed it on my first 9 decisions...welp guess I gotta pick someone shitty enough to cancel them out!

Somebody send a link to Augie's locker room rant to Sark. Sometimes I watch that when I'm being a dumbass about something. 

I don’t disagree man. I spent all of yesterday so pissed off I chose to engage with Randolph Duke. That’s pretty dark. 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He seems like a nice, genuine, good person. 

He’s fucking lost at this job currently. We thought we were hiring Alec Baldwin but instead we got Jack Lemon. We get outraged about hiring guys to coach football who have to learn on the job at a place like Texas, and that’s what we have at AD. It isn’t his fault, but he needs to start listening to advice. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Yeah, it worries the shit out of me that Sark, the guy who's supposed to lead us back to our rightful place in CFB royalty, didn't have sense enough not to offer bob fuckin' stoops. Thank God somebody stepped in and stopped it, hopefully the AD. If CDC himself signed off on it and somebody above him had to nix the idea, then God help us, 'cause we just bought us a metric ton of iron pyrites.

Two questions come up from this fiasco in the last 24/48 hours. They are more long term types of questions. First, who is on the “Chode” list of coaches besides Stoops? Second, at what point do we accept “Chodes” like Stoops? Is it after Sark has some hardware and proven he has the Saban process down?

37 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Two questions come up from this fiasco in the last 24/48 hours. They are more long term types of questions. First, who is on the “Chode” list of coaches besides Stoops? Second, at what point do we accept “Chodes” like Stoops? Is it after Sark has some hardware and proven he has the Saban process down?

Stoops is in his own category. He is not hirable at any P5 school as an on field coach after the picture that came out of him in the hat. You can defend that politics don’t matter, it’s just a hat, cancel culture and players just want to win football games and blah blah blah, but be completely honest yourself. Every coach in the country would use that picture to negative recruit against him. He literally wouldn’t be able to recruit. Sark could win 2 straight national titles and still wouldn’t have enough rope to justify this hire.

If Sark starts winning 10 games a year consistently and brings in ex coordinators and position coaches as analyst, then he is welcome to start the Saban process of promoting from within. 99.9999% of coaches don’t come with the baggage and history that Stoops did.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Yeah, it worries the shit out of me that Sark, the guy who's supposed to lead us back to our rightful place in CFB royalty, didn't have sense enough not to offer bob fuckin' stoops. Thank God somebody stepped in and stopped it, hopefully the AD. If CDC himself signed off on it and somebody above him had to nix the idea, then God help us, 'cause we just bought us a metric ton of iron pyrites.

Lulz.  Bob ain’t coming to Texas to coach LB’s.  His dipshit brother, Mike, inexplicably got the offer.  And Mike is a disaster on every level. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Stoops is in his own category. He is not hirable at any P5 school as an on field coach after the picture that came out of him in the hat. You can defend that politics don’t matter, it’s just a hat, cancel culture and players just want to win football games and blah blah blah, but be completely honest yourself. Every coach in the country would use that picture to negative recruit against him. He literally wouldn’t be able to recruit. Sark could win 2 straight national titles and still wouldn’t have enough rope to justify this hire.
If Sark starts winning 10 games a year consistently and brings in ex coordinators and position coaches as analyst, then he is welcome to start the Saban process of promoting from within. 99.9999% of coaches don’t come with the baggage and history that Stoops did.

Hopefully most get that. But was looking at a list of untouchables, first. Second how long before we have to deal with the “Coach Rehab” process similar to Saban?

Untouchable:
1. Stoops (any of them)
2. Briles (both of them)
3. ????

Hardware:
1. 1 MNC
2. 2 B12 CC, 2 playoffs

If we are a copy/paste of Bama, we will certainly have to face this issue in the future (implies Sark success). Several years from now, I can see Sark trying to bring Stoops back. If Sark tried to pull him as DC, then as a position coach....

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lulz.  Bob ain’t coming to Texas to coach LB’s.  His dipshit brother, Mike, inexplicably got the offer.  And Mike is a disaster on every level. 

Still funny to me that Saban has Mike Stoops as an analyst at Bama -- does Bobby have pics/dirt on Saban??

😋

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t disagree man. I spent all of yesterday so pissed off I chose to engage with Randolph Duke. That’s pretty dark. 

We’ve all had those sad moments that we wonder what was I thinking.  It will get better.  Hang in there.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Hopefully most get that. But was looking at a list of untouchables, first. Second how long before we have to deal with the “Coach Rehab” process similar to Saban?

Untouchable:
1. Stoops (any of them)
2. Briles (both of them)
3. ????

Hardware:
1. 1 MNC
2. 2 B12 CC, 2 playoffs

If we are a copy/paste of Bama, we will certainly have to face this issue in the future (implies Sark success). Several years from now, I can see Sark trying to bring Stoops back. If Sark tried to pull him as DC, then as a position coach....

Copy/paste of Alabama and worried about what comes with that...nice problem to have.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Still funny to me that Saban has Mike Stoops as an analyst at Bama -- does Bobby have pics/dirt on Saban??

😋

Per multiple sources, Mike knows a lot about defense. If you lock him in a room and tell him to watch film and help with game planning, he's probably got some use other than eating any leftover bags of dicks you have around. He's also a huge bully/coward, so I suspect his raging asshole tendencies tend to come out less around people he considers his peers, and he's got Saban as a moderating influence. In that vacuum, hiring him probably does make a lot of sense to Sark.

Unfortunately, Mike is spectacularly bad at literally every other aspect of being a coach, and it doesn't speak super well of Sark that he doesn't realize "knows football" and "good coach" are two different things.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:21 AM, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I need you to explain with evidence this would be true because he has been a disaster everywhere he has gone.  So this would've been different, how?

My evidence is as a scarred Moops OU fan. I just think he's better suited to coach a position and be hands on and aggressive. Just not overseeing the whole defense. Should he have a p5 job right now , No. But if the rumors that he was headed to Texas are true, then apparently Sark did see something in him to coach lb's.

I was equally shocked when I heard he would be coming to Texas for that role but I figured it made more sense as a position coach than coordinator. Kind of the way Charlie Strong is coaching linebackers for Urban Meyer in Jacksonville now.

• Fuck You 2