Iran

Caracara

3 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

It's not a conspiracy that 15 of the 9/11 hijackers and their leader Bin Laden were Wahabis from Saudi. The Wahabi indoctrination is still alive and well in Saudi schools. 

Yup, they even found one the guys passports on the ground! Imagine the odds!

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The deal only "mothballed" Iran's nuclear ambition for 15 years. That's assuming they comply with both the spirit and letter of the deal. What Israel achieved with their intelligence coup shows Iran not only has not complied with the spirit of the deal but never had any intention of complying with the letter of the deal.

So you want to continue with a deal that you know the other side has, is and will continue to cheat? That is sheer lunacy.

You didn't answer the question. What's next?

Seems to me you'd get a better deal after the expiration of the existing deal if you abided by the deal when it was in effect - that is, show yourself to be a trustworthy entity that stands by its deals, not one that trashes them on a whim.

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The deal only "mothballed" Iran's nuclear ambition for 15 years. That's assuming they comply with both the spirit and letter of the deal. What Israel achieved with their intelligence coup shows Iran not only has not complied with the spirit of the deal but never had any intention of complying with the letter of the deal.

So you want to continue with a deal that you know the other side has, is and will continue to cheat? That is sheer lunacy.

Please provide the evidence Israel found that proves Iran was not complying with the 2015 deal. 

1 minute ago, Bat Guano said:

You didn't answer the question. What's next?

Seems to me you'd get a better deal after the expiration of the existing deal if you abided by the deal when it was in effect - that is, show yourself to be a trustworthy entity that stands by its deals, not one that trashes them on a whim.

And what exactly is the motivation for Iran to renegotiate the biggest sweetheart deal ever?  Tell us that?  They get hundreds of billions, and don't have to do squat?

That agreement was so egregiously stupid to begin with that I cannot comprehend why anyone other than a supporter of the Ayatollahs would sign it. The agreement allowed Iran to self-certify. That aspect by itself makes the entire agreement worthless.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Nope, the US had 3 active heavy water plants during the Manhattan Project.

You guys are making me look this shit up.

Little Boy was developed from the Hanford site. Fatman was developed from materials from both CP2 and Hanford.  These were both graphite facilities.

16 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

It depends on what happens.  The US puts sanctions back on Iran.  We have little to no trade with Iran so it does not mean much by itself.  But maybe other countries will have to decide if they want to stay in the good graces of the US or Iran?  It is a complex thing.  I am not saying it is a good strategy or the right strategy, but the US has tremendous power to influence others.  

Plus, Israel is still the wild card.  IMO (and it is only an opinion) I think the leaders of Iran are scared to death of Israel.  They will never, ever admit that, but I believe that it is true.  I also believe that the leaders of the rest of the world do not want Israel bombing Iran facilities.  The deal that was done put Israel in a tough spot as they could not really do anything to Iran after the deal was put in place.  By the US dropping out, Israel becomes a wild card once again.  

It is possible that those 2 things will force the rest of the world to renegotiate a deal with Iran that has actual teeth.  Again, just an opinion.

So we have little to no leverage with sanctions. We've just burned a fuckton of goodwill and cooperation with our allies that took decades to build up, and now you expect them to knuckle under and do what we say, even though they consider killing the deal epically stupid and warned us not to do it? Yeah, uh, good luck with that.

Israel as the wild card is another way of saying we're going to war to back them up when they attack. That's the end game.

Got any real strategies that, you know, have a chance in hell of working?

Edited by Bat Guano

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And what exactly is the motivation for Iran to renegotiate the biggest sweetheart deal ever?  Tell us that?  They get hundreds of billions, and don't have to do squat?

That agreement was so egregiously stupid to begin with that I cannot comprehend why anyone other than a supporter of the Ayatollahs would sign it. The agreement allowed Iran to self-certify. That aspect by itself makes the entire agreement worthless.

So are you just refusing to answer the question, or are you unable to?

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And I never said they used material from the heavy water sites to build the actual bombs.  It was used for testing during the project though.

Sorry for misusing the term Manhattan Project. I meant the actual development of our earliest nuclear materials and weaponry.

I was responding to some retards post that we don't need to inspect the facilities, because "heavy water."

Edited by JBJ

15 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I'll accept after the bomb was developed, but before it was dropped.  The point still being that both us and Russia developed nuclear weaponry without heavy water, and that Iran's path forward doesn't require heavy water.

Bullshit, I'm at the gym right now, but Iran definitely produces heavy water, so I'll get back to you tonight on the data.

Just now, Bat Guano said:

So we have little to no leverage with sanctions. We've just burned a fuckton of goodwill and cooperation with our allies that took decades to build up, and now you expect them to knuckle under and do what we say, even though they consider it epically stupid and warned us not to kill the deal? Yeah, uh, good luck with that.

Israel as the wild card is another way of saying we're going to war to back them up when they attack. That's the end game.

I've got one: magic!

It's amazing how many people seem to honestly believe that burning all of our goodwill with those whose cooperation we need and destroying all of our negotiating leverage is the best way to get a new and better deal with people who will have no reason to believe we'd actually stick to it. The Republican party has turned their voters' brains to pure mush. 30-35% of Americans probably shouldn't even be trusted to have matches, much less drive or vote.

11 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

So we have little to no leverage with sanctions. We've just burned a fuckton of goodwill and cooperation with our allies that took decades to build up, and now you expect them to knuckle under and do what we say, even though they consider it epically stupid and warned us not to kill the deal? Yeah, uh, good luck with that.

Stand by a deal that was never ratified by congress rife with side deals we don't even fully understand yet?  Yeah.  Let's just plow ahead and surrender billions to the world's largest state sponsor or terrorism, who was recently caught shipping Iranian-built "Qiam" ballistic missels to Yeman?  That's your plan? 

The "deal" isn't even that.  It's garbage.  Everyone knows it's garbage.  Hell, even that insufferable twat Schumer was against it.  Scrap it.  Go from there.  If Obama was right, and the original sanctions we are going to back to we so effective as to be the claimed catalyst that brought Iran to the table - we start from there.  But the deal "as is" is pure garbage.  Had Trump orchestrated such a one-sided catastrophe the Surly servers would melt.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

For the sake of argument let's assume all the criticisms of the deal as it stood until yesterday are valid (I don't know that that's the case; there are arguments on both sides). That still leaves the question of what replaces the deal. In other words, how does exiting the deal improve our position? We are now negotiating from a much weaker position than we were when the deal was made, so there's no way in hell we can come close to that deal, much less improve it. For those of you saying the withdrawal was a good move, what is the next step? Baba, JBJ, Iconoclast - what say you?

They built these two nuclear facilities in secret underground during the last deal.  They owe us these two facilities, period.  We can't give them bonus money for the right to inspect them.  And we can't trust them going forward.  They need to make a show of good faith on their own dime.

Edited by JBJ

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Stand by a deal that was never ratified by congress rife with side deals we don't even fully understand yet?  Yeah.  Let's just plow ahead and surrender billions to the world's largest state sponsor or terrorism, who was recently caught shipping Iranian-built "Qiam" ballistic missels to Yeman?  That's your plan? 

The "deal" isn't even that.  It's garbage.  Everyone knows it's garbage.  Hell, even that insufferable twat Schumer was against it.  Scrap it.  Go from there.  If Obama was right, and the original sanctions we are going to back to we so effective as to be the claimed catalyst that brought Iran to the table - we start from there.  But the deal "as is" is pure garbage.  Had Trump orchestrated such a one-sided catastrophe the Surly servers would melt.

You know Iran got the money already right? How does withdrawing from the deal change that?

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They built these two nuclear facilities in secret underground during the last deal.  They owe us these two facilities, period.  We can't give them bonus money for the right to inspect them.  And we can't trust them going forward.  They need to make a show of good faith on their own dime.

I just don't get why we are paying cash for our enemies nuclear arsenal. Isnt Russia supposed to be funding them?

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Once again: for the sake of argument let's assume all that's true. Now WHAT DO WE DO FROM THIS POINT FORWARD?

ALLCAPS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION YOU FUCKING PREVARICATING TWAT.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What does that even mean? Answer the question: what's our strategy going forward?

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You know Iran got the money already right? How does withdrawing from the deal change that?

There is no deal.  That's the point.  They negotiated billions from our former feckless leader and gave up nothing in return and continue unabated towards their goal with an un-ratified and side deals that allow them to self-certify?  And the entire point for staying is in the hope we still engender some measure of goodwill?

2 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Once again: for the sake of argument let's assume all that's true. Now WHAT DO WE DO FROM THIS POINT FORWARD?

ALLCAPS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION YOU FUCKING PREVARICATING TWAT.

Not the best at reading comprehension are you....

2 hours ago, elnimo said:

The best thing the US could have done to effect regime change was to continue the deal.  The people realized the islamist regime stole all of the money the US released.  Before yesterday, the people blamed the regime for the problems, which helped to bolster the reformists who want the corruption out of the government.  Slow secularization and democratization would result in a lasting friendly government.  Overthrowing one bad regime to install another one won't. The hardliners are celebrating the end of the deal because it shows that they were right. 

I'm quoting this again for the pro-Trump people who are happy we left the deal

A positive of the release of sanctions was the message to the Iranian people that WE WILL NOT STAND IN YOUR WAY to prosper in the future.  It was proof to the people that their OWN government was to blame if they didn't prosper.  Then in late December 2017 they had massive protests that lasted for over a week. First they protested the economic polices of their own government, then they started railing on the theocratic regime and their Supreme Leader.  FUCKING PROGRESS, MAN!

Now, all of that is gone. Sanctions back on. Hell, we'll tack on some more. America is the enemy. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

We gave the hardliners a new old enemy to focus the populace's hate towards instead of themselves.  They need an external enemy or the people start pushing for reforms at home. 

The Iranian people aren’t that stupid. This isn’t Afghanistan or Pakistan. It’s the most educated country in the Middle East. The people are frustrated and angry at a government that is pissing all of the money it’s making in Syria, Iraq and Yemen stirring up shit leaving Iran as an international pariah hobbled by sanctions. The Iranian people know they have a great history and civilization and that the mullahs are the reason why they are being held back from being a great, modern country.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The Iranian people aren’t that stupid. This isn’t Afghanistan or Pakistan. It’s the most educated country in the Middle East. The people are frustrated and angry at a government that is pissing all of the money it’s making in Syria, Iraq and Yemen stirring up shit leaving Iran as an international pariah hobbled by sanctions. The Iranian people know they have a great history and civilization and that the mullahs are the reason why they are being held from a great, modern country.

I know that's what you WANT to believe.  And maybe that's what your family back there is telling you.  But there is still a LOT of support for the mullahs.  See the simply folks in the countryside.  Shit, see the simple folks here in the USA -- ignorant votes in favor of theocracy ain't an isolated thing.

But the fact that the mullahs are still in charge tells us that your take isn't quite on target.  And history gives us further example of unpopular governments being able to rally new popular support against an external enemy...which we just gave them.

If what you want is regime change, then this was a COUNTER-productive move.

Edited by Brisketexan

From the mouth of an Iranian dissident in Iran. A U.N. sponsored referendum on a new constitution ending the velayat e fagih clerical government is what I support so SimonBolivar and kevwun please quit saying I’m some Chalabi wannabe monarchist. Even former regime supporter and stooge Shirin Ebadi is calling for regime change:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-08/iran-nuclear-deal-s-end-frees-trump-to-fight-for-iranian-freedom

“In an interview last week, Iranian dissident Heshmat Tabarzadi told me he would shed no tears for the nuclear bargain. "Obama and the Europeans sacrificed the human rights of the Iranian people in order to achieve more security for themselves," he said. "This was a blatant mistake. The point is that the Islamic regime, through its blackmailing via its nuclear programs, managed to buy time, receive dollars, crack down on the Iranian people, meddle in Syria and Yemen, and make the world a less safe place through its development of missiles."

As a young man in the early 1980s, Tabarzadi was a supporter of Iran's first supreme leader, Ayatollah Khomeini. Over time however he became disillusioned and has emerged as powerful dissident, spending stints inside Iran's notorious Evin prison. In 1999, he helped to lead the Tehran University uprising and he also participated in the 2009 protests against the stolen presidential election that year. Now Tabarzadi is the spokesman for Iran's Solidarity for Democracy and Human Rights movement, an underground umbrella organization of other civil society groups.

By virtue of being inside Iran, he has a pulse on the insurrections that are currently roiling his country — ranging from its drinking water crisis to the run on Iran's banks to the movement among young Iranian women to throw off the hijab. So it's important to listen to what he has to say.

He told me that now the best thing for the U.S. to do is to support technologies like Telegram that allow Iranians to communicate securely with one another. An Iranian court recently announced a ban on Telegram, which exposed again Rouhani's powerlessness. Tabarzadi told me that Telegram's founder, Pavel Durov, "managed to create an information revolution in Iran," something he said the State Department's anti-censorship programs did not.

Tabarzadi also said he supported targeted sanctions against the regime's propaganda organs as well as expanding sanctions against Iranian leaders for human rights violations. Iranian Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi made a similar point to me last month in an interview when she called for sanctions against the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting, the entity that runs the regime's domestic and foreign propaganda efforts. Tabarzadi said he opposed external investment in Iran at this point. Ebadi said the same.

With that in mind, it's important to remember a few basic rules for supporting nonviolent resistance movements like the one in Iran.

First: Iranians will be the authors of their liberation. They will not succeed because of a policy decision in a foreign capital. Trump must refrain from choosing leaders, arming factions or invading Iran. The Iranian people must lead; the West must support. 

Second: Solidarity with Iran's democratic resistance requires a credible channel of communication. That means disregarding outside groups that seek to impose their agenda on the movement, like the People's Mujahadin or U.S. groups that act as a de facto lobby for the regime like the National Iranian American Council. Instead the White House should seek out Iranian expatriates who want to support the movement in Iran but do not believe they can return to Iran as Ayatollah Khomeini did in 1979 to lead the revolution.

Third: Insofar as Trump wants to change the behavior of the Iranian regime, he needs to expand the list of demands beyond nuclear matters. That means tying specific sanctions to the release of political prisoners, such as Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, the two presidential candidates whose election was stolen in 2009 and who remain under house arrest to this day. Another idea would be to tie sanctions to the movement for a U.N.-monitored referendum to remove the office of the Supreme Leader from Iran's constitution.”

IDF confirming the Golan Heights were struck by artillery from southern Syria.  War with Iran may come sooner than we thought.  Hope Iconoclast's fat ass is on the front line if that comes to pass.

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I know that's what you WANT to believe.  And maybe that's what your family back there is telling you.  But there is still a LOT of support for the mullahs.  See the simply folks in the countryside.  Shit, see the simple folks here in the USA -- ignorant votes in favor of theocracy ain't an isolated thing.

But the fact that the mullahs are still in charge tells us that your take isn't quite on target.  And history gives us further example of unpopular governments being able to rally new popular support against an external enemy...which we just gave them.

If what you want is regime change, then this was a COUNTER-productive move.

The protests back in December were different than the ones in 2009 because it was being stoked by the exact groups of people that you say are staunch supporters of the regime. The lower middle class being squeezed economically are the ones that were protesting.

The ones supporting the regime are corrupt and have gotten rich like in any repressive, dysfunctional country. The people who were protesting were disgusted by assholes like the Rich Kids of Tehran Instagram group whose families are tied to the ruling regime.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-protests-rich-kids-of-tehran-2018-1

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

It will be a good day when some day the executive branch of the US government actually puts the interests of the US as its highest foreign policy priority instead of the interests of Israel and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia (you know, the country whose citizens actually brought down the WTC). I suppose I know why we do that, but those reasons suck. 

A new wrinkle has been introduced by agent orange where our president now puts the interests of the Russian government as a higher priority than the interests of the US, possibly even before that of Israel and Saudi Arabia.

So for those keeping score, here are the top four interest of the current US executive branch when it comes to foreign policy in order of importance:

1. Russian interest (this is only due to trump and his absolute corruption, the rest of the government opposes this)

2. Israel interest

3. Saudi Arabia interest

4. United States. 

Whoop!

1 hour ago, Bat Guano said:

What does that even mean? Answer the question: what's our strategy going forward?

Dismantle/retrofit both heavy-water facilites (last deal only did the one not operational).

Eliminate all 20% uranium.

I like the limit on LEU, it's one of the things we got right.

Fuel-swap at proportional weights minus some amount (I'm not sure where the last deal had it.  But we can't let them profit off of the enrichment process.)

Dismantle the ballistic missile program.

Gotta have something in there assuring access to military facilities.

Edited by JBJ

3 hours ago, sheeeit said:

The irony of this post is spectacular.  Calling someone out for not understanding something and then posting something that you clearly have no understanding of.  How do you think low-enriched uranium becomes highly enriched genius?   

You put it under yer pillow at night ?  And the uranium fairy flies in, and stashes a load of it under yer bed while you sleep ?

The question should have been, do you even centrifuge brah ?

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Dismantle/retrofit both heavy-water facilites (last deal only did the one not operational).

Fuel-swap at proportional weights minus some amount (I'm not sure where the last deal had it.  But we can't let them profit off of the enrichment process.)

Okay.

And here's the second part: what's in it for Iran?

Because it's a negotiation, a deal.  There are two sides.  So, what's their upside in taking those terms?

If your response is "we don't sanction you and we don't blow you off the face of the earth," that's not the best response.  In fact, if someone was negotiating with YOU using that leverage, would you be (a) MORE dedicated to developing a nuclear deterrent, or (b) LESS dedicated to developing a nuclear deterrent?

27 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Don’t forget to ask for a pony too.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Okay.

And here's the second part: what's in it for Iran?

Because it's a negotiation, a deal.  There are two sides.  So, what's their upside in taking those terms?

If your response is "we don't sanction you and we don't blow you off the face of the earth," that's not the best response.  In fact, if someone was negotiating with YOU using that leverage, would you be (a) MORE dedicated to developing a nuclear deterrent, or (b) LESS dedicated to developing a nuclear deterrent?

Nuclear power, nuclear ships, no sanctions.

The only thing they can reasonably resist is the military sites, but it is simply necessary.

Europeans are simply pissed that they will lose money as the US pulls out and reintroduces sanctions, and forces our "allies" to do the same. How will the US get the leverage to do that? Tariffs. Countries that don't play along will have tariffs imposed. 

My guess is a good deal of the $150B in cash Obama gave Iran was funneled to European thieves that never complied with the sanctions, to begin with. Fuck Europe. 

Europe racks up billions in deals with Iran now that sanctions are lifted

Europe is racking up billions in deals with oil-rich Iran as its president, Hassan Rouhani, makes a goodwill tour less than two weeks after the lifting of international sanctions on the Islamic Republic.

Iran is looking to boost its economic ties to the West now that it is allowed to negotiate business deals as a reward for complying with curbs on its nuclear program.

Here are details of some of the lucrative agreements:

• France’s Peugeot-Citroen announced a deal with Iranian automaker Khodro on Thursday to produce 200,000 cars a year in Iran. The deal, which will see the first cars produced in 2017, is worth $436 million, Peugeot-Citroen said.

• French energy company Total said Thursday it will sign a deal to buy crude oil from Iran, AFP reported.

• Airbus will deliver 118 passenger planes to Iran Air, as well as provide pilot and maintenance training, Airbus announced Thursday in Paris.

• France’s state rail company SNCF signed a deal with its Iranian counterpart, La Tribune reported.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/01/28/irans-rouhani-gathers-more-deals-france/79452784/

Just now, JBJ said:

Nuclear power, nuclear ships, no sanctions.

The only thing they can reasonably resist is the military sites, but it is simply necessary.

Or they can tell us to fuck off because they’re not going to enter into an agreement impacting such a vital security interest with a country that doesn’t honor its agreements.

Least we forget:

State Department says Iran NEVER SIGNED nuclear deal and it's not 'legally binding' as it tells Congress to butt out of Obama's 'political commitments'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3334249/State-Department-says-Iran-NEVER-SIGNED-nuclear-deal-s-not-legally-binding-tells-Congress-butt-Obama-s-political-commitments.html

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

Europeans are simply pissed that they will lose money as the US pulls out and reintroduces sanctions, and forces our "allies" to do the same. How will the US get the leverage to do that? Tariffs. Countries that don't play along will have tariffs imposed. 

My guess is a good deal of the $150B in cash Obama gave Iran was funneled to European thieves that never complied with the sanctions, to begin with. Fuck Europe. 

Europe racks up billions in deals with Iran now that sanctions are lifted

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/01/28/irans-rouhani-gathers-more-deals-france/79452784/

Such paltry sums. Boeing just lost out on $20 billion. Trade between Europe and Iran is almost as negligible as it is between the US and Iran. I can guarantee you the loss of those "deals" is not the driving force behind their opposition to Trump pulling out of the agreement, and I can also guarantee who will be the ultimate beneficiary of renewed sanctions: Putin & China. Both will be more than happy to fill any gaps.