YouTube TV

Asithappens

On 12/14/2021 at 1:07 PM, FunkSoulBrother said:

First it was with Roku and now Disney+.

I'm sensing a trend, one of those "if the person next to you is an asshole, they are an asshole, but if everybody around you is an asshole, you're the asshole" kinds of things.

Of course, it is possible that both Roku and Disney were trying to put the squeeze on Google/YT.

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm a little surprised that Amazon hasn't jumped into the fray yet.  I would think adding standard local and cable offerings and a robust sports package would be an easy addition to the Prime content and add-on subscriptions they already offer.  

Just wait until more P5 conference rights start coming up - Amazon has made a lot of noise, and Apple and Netflix have even been rumored to be getting involved.

Most likely as partners to an existing broadcast network, as it's hard to imagine Amazon/Apple/Netflix wanting to stand up a full-blown sports broadcasting infrastructure.

It's going to be funny when most all just want it to come back together again under one umbrella.  Specialization is usually always more costly than pooling in the long run....now in a lot of instances that extra cost is worth it.  Unless you have a real limited scope of viewing needs the further fragmentation of content is gonna cost you.  

27 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's going to be funny when most all just want it to come back together again under one umbrella.  Specialization is usually always more costly than pooling in the long run....now in a lot of instances that extra cost is worth it.  Unless you have a real limited scope of viewing needs the further fragmentation of content is gonna cost you.  

I find alternate ways to get UT football (and/or just watch at one of the nearby bars/restaurants), so I end up with something like this:

• Hulu - $2 a month/$24 a year
  • Disney+ - $50 a year
  • Paramount+ - $50 a year (maybe a little cheaper)
  • Netflix - $14 a month - $168 a year
  • HBOMax - $15 a month (don't subscribe full-time, just a few months here and there).

$292 a Year, $24 a month for all of that, with occasionally $39 a month with HBO.

For reference, about 15 years ago, I was paying $220+ a month for cable TV/HBO/etc.

Granted, I'm missing out on a bunch of the Discovery/History/Travel Channel/Food stuff, but hell, I can get better documentary, travel, and cooking stuff on YouTube.

So while I still wish for that one super video library I was promised as a kid, where we could access all of the world's TV and films through one library, the fact that I'm paying about %12 a month of what I used to 15 years ago, while getting who knows how much more content is okay for now.

But it can be a pain in the ass to find stuff, which I end up going to https://www.justwatch.com and searching.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve had YTTV for neary six months now but I fired up the DVR for the first time since rewatching bowls games in December and now my it appears all my shows have forced commercials?  60 Minutes (yeah yeah yeah) had NINE commercials before even starting.  None of which were skippable.  

Has this always been the case for non-sporting events?

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’ve had YTTV for neary six months now but I fired up the DVR for the first time since rewatching bowls games in December and now my it appears all my shows have forced commercials?  60 Minutes (yeah yeah yeah) had NINE commercials before even starting.  None of which were skippable.  

Has this always been the case for non-sporting events?

Think the “recordings” have a time span (30days from last air?), then reverts to an on demand style. 

It does vary network/show to network/show(not all do it). Never seen on sports or movies. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

We have at least three threads where we rehash the same thing (this one, Cord Cutters and Fuck DirecTV in the goat ass) and I’ve mentioned before that YTTV recordings transform to a VOD/forced ad breaks version after a period of time. But you typically have a decent window to watch unfettered, as opposed to the assholes at HuluLiveTV (next day, bam!). But yes, old network recordings on YTTV will switch to VOD, with the ads. Interestingly, my old Cowboys and Longhorns recordings stay the same, no yellow tabs on the playback.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This is the first thing I would check. Sometimes there is an option to select DVR or VOD from a recording. VOD has ads.

The way YouTube TV works is that if it's available via VOD, then your DVR stores a link to that broadcast. The DVR actually only stores things that aren't available via VOD.  I don't think you can pick how to record or view it.

• 3 months later...
The way YouTube TV works is that if it's available via VOD, then your DVR stores a link to that broadcast. The DVR actually only stores things that aren't available via VOD.  I don't think you can pick how to record or view it.

That doesn’t seem right to me. Whenever I tell YTTV to record something I get a regular, non-VOD option when I play it back. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to skip commercials.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That doesn’t seem right to me. Whenever I tell YTTV to record something I get a regular, non-VOD option when I play it back. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to skip commercials.

This is how it’s always worked for me as well. I can choose the recorded version instead of the VOD version and fast forward.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...