Goo Punch

Rap and hip-hop from the 90’s

8 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Great album. Fucked up thing is that they didn't clear any of the samples, so it's now out of print and no label wants to deal with the headache of going back and paying for the samples. 

Would that apply to a reprint of the CD?   That CD was long after they had all the trouble with sample clearance so they had to have those cleared for the CD, right?    A reprint would have to clear them again?    I still have my original CD.

All of their CDs have been great, both volumes of AOI, the Grind Date, even the story CD "First Serve" was great:

In the album the duo adopt the persona of "First Serve" a hip-hop band making it in the music industry in the late 1990s. Mercer takes the persona of "Jacob 'Pop Life' Barrow", and Jolicoeur takes the persona of "Deen Witter". The album details the fictional band making it in the music industry, their success, breakup, and eventual reformation.[2]

Edited by d2o

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

Would that apply to a reprint of the CD?   That CD was long after they had all the trouble with sample clearance so they had to have those cleared for the CD, right?    A reprint would have to clear them again?    I still have my original CD.

All of their CDs have been great, both volumes of AOI, the Grind Date, even the story CD "First Serve" was great:

In the album the duo adopt the persona of "First Serve" a hip-hop band making it in the music industry in the late 1990s. Mercer takes the persona of "Jacob 'Pop Life' Barrow", and Jolicoeur takes the persona of "Deen Witter". The album details the fictional band making it in the music industry, their success, breakup, and eventual reformation.[2]

My understanding is that over the years, as uncleared samples were discovered on various De La albums, a bunch of artists/composers filed claims for royalties against Tommy Boy and then later Warner Music in which they would received royalties based on CD, cassettes, and albums. The belief is that these contracts didn't include provisions for all other future media like streaming. Now that all the CDs, tapes, and records have been sold, Warner is essentially paying zero in royalties. If they were to license the De La catalog to Apple, Spotify, etc. it would likely require entering into new licensing agreements and also likely restart the three year limitations period for copyright infringement.  

17 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Just looked at Amazon and ebay, and used Stakes is High and 3 feet high CDs are going for $30-35

I've got 3 ft. high on cd and tape...  :)

16 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I've got 3 ft. high on cd and tape...  :)

Yeah I most of them on CD, finally gave up the ghost and dumped all my tapes a few yrs back

39 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

My understanding is that over the years, as uncleared samples were discovered on various De La albums, a bunch of artists/composers filed claims for royalties against Tommy Boy and then later Warner Music in which they would received royalties based on CD, cassettes, and albums. The belief is that these contracts didn't include provisions for all other future media like streaming. Now that all the CDs, tapes, and records have been sold, Warner is essentially paying zero in royalties. If they were to license the De La catalog to Apple, Spotify, etc. it would likely require entering into new licensing agreements and also likely restart the three year limitations period for copyright infringement.  

No I get that part.   They cant do it digitally cause it wasn't agreed on in the original contract but can they just start reprinting CDs?   Not that many people buy CDs now

If the CDs go back in print, they have to start paying the licencors again under the old agreements and then go to artists/composers who don't have any such agreements and either try to get a compulsory license (which will likely be denied) or negotiate a license agreement or else risk getting sued. Copyright law sucks for hip hop artists. 

Gang Starr and Dave Mirra's BMX 2 will always be intertwined in my memory. 

On 2/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, Rip76 said:

To me 86-91 is the prime.

That's were I am as well.  Saw Public Enemy, EPMD, and a few others open for RUN-DMC in 1989.

A taste of what's in there

it's incredible how much good music was produced in this slice of place in time. Every track I listen to on this channel is better than the last, yet none of these people sniffed a whiff of commercial success 

Edited by CheesePie

29 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

it's incredible how much good music was produced in this slice of place in time. Every track I listen to on this channel is better than the last, yet none of these people sniffed a whiff of commercial success 

Yeah, but main stream radio made sure that the majority of Americans ate a steady diet of MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and fucking Whoomp There It Is. 

It's a wash, really.

Socioeconomic circumstances weren't helping either. You'll come across an artist on that channel that has 3 tracks to their name, all fuckin insane, and then they're gone. The old dead or in jail platitude was real for these guys.

The cut by Nine is still so damn smooth.   Dude had a great voice

Edited by d2o

God there was an insane amount of GREAT rap during this time.   Forgot all about these guys.   Chip was MONSTER.   Dude was rapping backwards in another one of their songs.   The Phife cameo is just icing on the cake.

Edited by d2o