Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

We get one meal - lunch -- on Isla Mueres this Friday.  We want the big platter of fresh seafood to share and to eat it with a beach view.   I've seen several places mentioned for that sort of thing on this thread.  Is the call Bally Hoo, La Playita or somewhere else?

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

We are thinking about doing a quick trip to Isla Holbox.  Anyone here done that?  Thoughts?

My wife and daughter are going to Holbox for a few days at the end of our Isla trip.  I’ve heard nothing but great things about.  A step back in time from Isla.  

On 4/15/2019 at 6:00 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Did some Google Maps research.  This was on the Cancun side not on the Isla side. 

On another not, booked our return trip last week.  Staying at Casa Aqua again. Counting down the days. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, Abogado Peligroso said:

Taking my family back to Grand Velas Riviera Maya in July.   That place is incredible.   Has anyone done a whale shark excursion from Playa Del Carmen?

From Playa? No. That would probably involve some van and or ferry rides each way just to get to the whale shark boat operators. They usually leave from Isla and probably some from Cancun.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:12 PM, BigNastyHorn said:

Did some Google Maps research.  This was on the Cancun side not on the Isla side. 

On the street right outside the pier for the ferry to Isla. FML.

Head out tomorrow, pretty stoked about it. Land in Cancun early and I think we are renting a car to drive (I love driving through Mexico). Supposedly we can park near the ferry and pick up on the way back. Have some fb friends in Holbox now and the pics look great. Isla from a decade or more past looks right. Beaches look nice but do not appear to rival playa Norte which rates as one of the best beaches in Mexico, Caribbean, etc etc. but the throwback appeal might steal the show....

• Like 1

Haha so we chose to drive from Cancun to Holbox for a lot of reasons not the least of which is I like the freedom to stop anywhere along the way and I love the adrenaline rush of the adventure. No secret Mexico has its moments well about half way there we got pulled over by the policia. Yep.... wait for it....

So when they were coming toward us in oncoming traffic I noticed a plastic coke bottle in the road and either I ran over it or the wind from it passing under the car spit it up.

They turned around and pulled us over. Three armed dudes get out and tell me they are going to arrest me for littering. My girlfriend says “no give us a ticket” and then they keep explaining arrest for littering. And then I say quite vehemently, “no no no!!” They keep at us, we then actually called a friend in Mexico and we started a six way conversation.... no no no. I didn’t get out of the car thinking they might actually attempt to cuff me - probs not. But I thought that. Girlfriend is telling them write a ticket.

They come back to me I told them what happened and pointed to my half empty bottle in the car and my other trash. I then look at the side of the road and spot no less than 5 empty plastic bottles and I point and say “uno dos tres... “

One officer had already realized we aren’t the easy target. The other two are still haggling with my gf. They then say ok no littering but you were speeding and long story short she insisted

Sorry cell coverage sucks here...

She insisted on a ticket and then long story short it happened not the shakedown complete but the release... they said we would have to go to Cancun to take care of it (btw I’ve had a Mexican traffic ticket so I know how it works when not a shakedown) and we agreed. Within 3 minutes or so they told us to leave.

We are now eating enchiladas and drinking beer in some small town about 30 mins from the water and reliving it.

I told my gf it was bad ass, she doesn’t agree. Ha.

1 hour ago, troph said:

She insisted on a ticket and then long story short it happened not the shakedown complete but the release... they said we would have to go to Cancun to take care of it (btw I’ve had a Mexican traffic ticket so I know how it works when not a shakedown) and we agreed. Within 3 minutes or so they told us to leave.

We are now eating enchiladas and drinking beer in some small town about 30 mins from the water and reliving it.

How long is the drive from airport to Isla H?

Mexican cops gave you a release, eh?

Mexican cops gave you a release, eh?

We did joke about which one of us was going to have to give the bj.... and we both threw up in our mouths a little.

Johnny - about 3 hours, could be less but that’s super comfortable. And there is virtually nothing in between. I think it may be the most predictable and comfortable when compared to a puddle jumper flight or a shuttle. The closest two towns are the ferry town and before that a shitdive.

Here’s the view from the hotel beach bar...

220c1addf92c27003bcd01ec657f04e0.jpg
  • Like 1

Chiquila is 1:45 from the Cancun airport driving the speed limit. Are you sure you didn't get pulled over for holding up traffic?

Our rental needed gas when we got it, we needed water, cops stopped us, we stopped for lunch then waited for the ferry for 20 mins. All of that added time. I think most folks would need more time than the exact driving time. And 3 hours was comfortable, but yes it’s probably quicker if you want to be all business like about it.

I was hoping for a more interesting time. It was actually a very shitty drive. And for Johnny and others who are considering ... it’s a toll road (highway 180) out for much of it - easy drive and you need pesos to exit. Parking in Chiquila is easy, 100 pesos per day. Also looks like available flights are spotty but charters may be easy to book if you’ve got resources or more than one couple.

48 minutes ago, troph said:

Our rental needed gas when we got it, we needed water, cops stopped us, we stopped for lunch then waited for the ferry for 20 mins. All of that added time. I think most folks would need more time than the exact driving time. And 3 hours was comfortable, but yes it’s probably quicker if you want to be all business like about it.

I was hoping for a more interesting time. It was actually a very shitty drive. And for Johnny and others who are considering ... it’s a toll road (highway 180) out for much of it - easy drive and you need pesos to exit. Parking in Chiquila is easy, 100 pesos per day. Also looks like available flights are spotty but charters may be easy to book if you’ve got resources or more than one couple.

I think it was a neat idea to attempt to be adventurous for the drive, but I'll stick with USA Transfers after all this.

Edited by SimonBolivar

I’d drive again except the drive itself was boring. Next time We will charter a flight with another couple.

Re driving - All you have to do is call their bluff. They won’t take you to jail and they have a lot more to lose than you do when they jail an American for speeding or even still littering. Reality is, if you aren’t drinking and driving or high they have nothing in the way of power unless you give it to them.

You can always carry around this print out with you. Tourists, by law in Q.R., are supposed to get two warnings before a traffic citation is issued.

http://qroo.us/2018/05/16/this-card-might-get-you-out-of-a-traffic-ticket-when-visiting-cancun-or-the-riviera-maya/

Translated:

TRAFFIC REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF QUINTANA ROO, ARTICLE 241: It is established in the state; the Courtesy Traffic Ticket that the Dirección de Tránsito, in its respective jurisdiction will apply exclusively to tourists that violate the Traffic Regulations. The courtesy traffic ticket will not cost the person anything because the objective is to point out the violation committed and encourage the person to obey the traffic rules. This courtesy will be applied on two occasions to the same vehicle and/or driver and will not be appropriate for cases involving serious acts or omissions contrary to that which is stipulated in the current regulations.

• Like 2

Did not know that, way cool.

And even so, I’ve been told I have a lead foot. Still that’s a ticket not a fucking arrest. Don’t be pussies guys if you want to drive in Mexico just know what to do if the shakedown commences.

Few pics and thoughts about holbox.

Great place, we loved it. We had some stellar guacamole, street tacos, ceviche, octopus ala Mexicana, etc. The beach is white sand, clear water, the water temp is perfect for cooling off, and the crowds are mostly Mexican tourists though some Europeans and fewer Americans. The gays and lesbians appear to have found holbox too. Our hotel represented well with sometimes 4-5 couples. Great place to practice Spanish too. There isn’t much to do though and WiFi/cell coverage is spotty. The town is charming as can be in that Mexican dirty kinda way. No paved streets. Happy to discuss more, my hope is the place stays free from American inundation but with the red tides from Cancun to Tulum I’m not holding my breath.

4d89b27b6fad53574d16095771d1f15a.jpg

Pic above - the water really is this blue and clear early in the morning. Really incredible. Later in the day it’s more green blue and then darker as the sun moves through the day. Not like playa Norte but a top notch beach. Churn is minimal so when you get out after cooling off you aren’t covered in sand.

5bd8cf56635e69d70964be630285831e.jpg

Pic above - lots of little boats around and the beach really is often empty if you are at a private hotel beach. Here is that greener color I mentioned.

c4ce390d53e155e70b348aecf1e127f5.jpg

Pic above - incredible street art. We spent one morning walking around before lunch taking pics. #saveholbox seems to be a anti littering campaign. Great to see.

62a39e29f516413d582f3cfed2f510d8.jpg

Pic above - lots of local businesses catering to Mexicans not Americans. It was one of the nicer parts of our experience.

a25b9f0a9d80bcf90a2bbe5ec79ea877.jpg

Pic above - typical street scene. At night it was more lively. There were even a few places with live music, Latin island type sounds. Really enjoyable.

1018d56bcd2201dea4d738b2f58419a4.jpg

Pic above - another example of the street art.

4d409425b1e588c4c16ccd35d0e0561f.jpg

Pic above - locals enjoyed their island. Friday afternoon these locals started partying in the water with their tables, chairs and beer. They went to 10pm at least. It was fun to listen to them from our balcony room.

18a19e260c193392e3391ede66083801.jpg

Pic above - the sunsets were both predicable and spectacular. It’s a regular event and the locals and Mexican tourists come out to see and line the beach and the jetties near the center beach road further down from our hotel.

489e2d5cecd0826a0ce784d10fd9aca7.jpg

Pic above - our first night we watched from our balcony. We stayed at the hotel la palapa. Happy to discuss the accommodations.

60b8d6eff45d2c529ef29f10d2519ab5.jpg

Pic above - We heart holbox.

Drive back was more fun than the drive in, we stayed off the toll to hit a cenote or two just west of port morelos. We rolled through at least half a dozen small towns. One of my favorite parts of the trip. And damn the beaches from Cancun to Tulum are still a mess.

We will go back. The whale sharks are only a few hours away (same spot from isla), there are night tours for bioluminescence and some flamingo tours. But the allure is the hammock and beach lifestyle. The beach is perfect for lounging and getting in and out of the water to cool off. Lots of time to read, pretty darn quiet. Princess travelers might not like it, a nice hotel is still a far cry from the four seasons, and it’s Mexico at its hottest and it’s dirtiest at times. But it’s really amazing too. Highly recommend for the isla traveler who wants less to do and less people to deal with and can handle the less developed aspects.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

We are headed back in a couple of weeks for four nights.  Five couples, three of which has never been.  Bastos is first night and Ballyhoo is last night (after we get off the fishing boat).   Anything stellar we should try out for dinner the other nights?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, Mac8111 said:

We are headed back in a couple of weeks for four nights.  Five couples, three of which has never been.  Bastos is first night and Ballyhoo is last night (after we get off the fishing boat).   Anything stellar we should try out for dinner the other nights?

Haven't gotten around to posting about our trip last month, but do recommend Javi's Cantina for dinner. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back late last night.

Hotel Secreto was fantastic. Loved the staff, location, and air conditioning.

Dinners: we did Bastos, Javi’s, Mar Bella and Ballyhoo. There was not a dog in the bunch. We brought our fish from our offshore trip back to Ballyhoo and they killed it with the ceviche and garlic grilled fish . Bastos always delivers. Each couple ordered the big platter that had the arrachera, chicken and sausage. Mar Bella was probably my favorite as far as flavor goes. I will say it is more like American prices, but we did it right with several courses and they actually had a real wine list.

Breakfast: Mango’s Cafe twice and North Garden. Both always deliver.

Drinks : our favorite place to drink that I don’t remember being mentioned on here was Villa La Bella. It is about 2 or 3 blocks south of Mango Cafe. Amazing Pina coladas and margaritas and ice cold beer. Tony place With swings at the bar and a walkway down to the surf. We ended visiting multiple times. Of course we stopped by the Joint. Other places that I am sure I forgot.

Lunch : I didn’t go but the group really enjoyed Oscar’s.

We did the whale sharks with Searious Diving. Ramon was great. Was an hour boat ride out there. Yes, it was really cool to see. They are giant. That boat ride back is a beating. Got some really cool photos I will try to upload from my computer. They did stop and do some snorkeling and then parked at north beach for beers and fresh made ceviche.

We did four hour bottom fishing trip on Lilly M and it was constant action with snapper, Barracuda, Trigger fish and lots of their random fish. I will post pics later on fishing thread.

Three of the five couples had never been to Isla and absolutely were amazed by the food.

• Like 3