Jump to content
Both Tacos

Griddle me this Batman

Recommended Posts

On 1/4/2020 at 10:46 PM, Baboontyme said:

Fuck it, I ordered the 36, hard cover and soft cover. Can't wait to make some chicken fajitas. Will also probably use it to bbq hot dogs. 

Chicken fajitas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Chicken fajitas?

he's butchering the chickens and taking their little belt muscles out himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'll do shrimp or even lobster fajitas. I don't know, I don't know if I'll have time. Should be a pretty nice little Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You going by Home Depot?

 

Maybe. The ones up here have a great BBQ cart near the exit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the links. Cleaning seems like it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. 
You don't have to go to that extreme. I typically use a scraper to get anything sticking and excess old oil, then use a wet cloth while the griddle is still hot to rub down. Apply more oil, rub it down and let it cool. Basically treat it like you would a cast iron skillet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, Anastasis said:

oh, and dinner.

al pastor. 

 

67-ADD10-E-DFB3-4-D75-94-AB-002-D4-D6-BD

45498123-A279-4313-9442-098010-D6-FF8-E.

 

These fucking pictures made me buy one of these damn things. You guys should be in sales, and have a check on the way from the manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

These fucking pictures made me buy one of these damn things. You guys should be in sales, and have a check on the way from the manufacturer.

Smash burgers off this, on a brioche bun with gooey American cheese and grilled onions will change your life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I worked at Whataburger in high school, we cleaned the griddle each night with a griddle brick, like the below.  Scrub it down with the brick while it's hot, and then wipe it off with a damp/wet towel.

51Pm9nG7snL._AC_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used one of those when I worked cooking at races and stuff. I had a buddy with a concession trailer. I think he might have had a stainless griddle. It was pretty badass. Probably close to 4’ wide and 3’ deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If mine ever gets to the point that it needs be sanded down i'll probably just chunk it.  I've only got a couple hundred bucks into the thing. I'll just stick to scraping it down and wiping up excess oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More on the cleaning topic. I seasoned mine today, had it looking pretty nice. A couple of hours I grilled some chicken breast strips (i.e. fajitas). When I was done I scraped it down pretty good and threw some water and scraped again, then wiped with oil with paper towels while still warm/hot and let that burn off, then turned it off. How smooth and clean should that surface be? Smooth like a baby's ass? I left some spots. It's definitely not seasoned to the point of non stick yet and chicken breast fajitas are pretty damn lean. Is that ok? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scrape then stone then fine scouring pad then hot water and wipe down with a towel.  A coat of oil after that and it's ready for the next use.  Mine sits outside all winter and I don't have to deal with rust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
More on the cleaning topic. I seasoned mine today, had it looking pretty nice. A couple of hours I grilled some chicken breast strips (i.e. fajitas). When I was done I scraped it down pretty good and threw some water and scraped again, then wiped with oil with paper towels while still warm/hot and let that burn off, then turned it off. How smooth and clean should that surface be? Smooth like a baby's ass? I left some spots. It's definitely not seasoned to the point of non stick yet and chicken breast fajitas are pretty damn lean. Is that ok? 
You want to have it pretty clean starting out as to not have spot where oil isn't being absorbed into the metal. Make sure to leave a light coat of oil on the griddle after it turned off to be ready for the next cook and to protect it from rust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What size patties do y’all use for double burgers? 1/8 lb each or 1/4 lb?

1/8?  You making sliders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt see it mentioned in the thread.  I had the big blackstone and it rusted through so i bought one of the table top ones.  Its perfect for a family of 4.  i can get 8-10 burgers on it and i can easily feed a small group 8-10 people no problem.  The best thing is the top is small and light enough that i can store it inside.  So, if youre not cooking for an army, i would highly suggest the smaller one.  

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something a little different for my first foray and got something like this:

3efc8d9dbd03261691d31b89faf6c6fa.jpg

I made one round of smash burgers and the family raved but there is room for improvement. I didn’t do a great job of seasoning it as a first timer so I think as it seasons it will make crispier burgers. I also need to get a better spatula that’s better suited for the purpose.

Cleaning it kind of sucks because there is no drain on that grease “gutter”, but it’s not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chesthair said:

Didnt see it mentioned in the thread.  I had the big blackstone and it rusted through so i bought one of the table top ones.  Its perfect for a family of 4.  i can get 8-10 burgers on it and i can easily feed a small group 8-10 people no problem.  The best thing is the top is small and light enough that i can store it inside.  So, if youre not cooking for an army, i would highly suggest the smaller one.  

 

spacer.png

What did or didn't you do that it rusted through? Did you keep it seasoned and covered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe i was an early adopter and they hadnt figured it out yet.  I took perfect care of it and had a cover.  It was seasoned better than grandma's cast iron.  It sat for a few months (my mistake) and when i took the cover off, the spots where they had welds underneath had rusted all the way through.  This was back in 05-06 when they first hit the market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever use the hard cover as a heart retainer? I bought a little lid type of deal that I've been using for burgers and wings and stuff to keep the heat in and cook thoroughly. But I got to thinking. I want to try a pizza on this thing. I need something bigger. No reason that hard cover wouldn't work I think. Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be the same as a giant grill topper. I’ve got a small one that I use and I’ve seen people use aluminum pans. I’ve read about basically making their own cover and making it tall enough so they can use it for a topper as well.

If you can’t or don’t wanna do it, get a disposable metal pan and use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beginning of breakfast tacos before the eggs went on.
20200119-110544.jpg

 

Pastor and fish tacos. The backyard smelled like Mexico City street food. Should have taken a picture of it plated with cilantro, onions, and pineapple.
20200119-104412.jpg

 

 

Edited by mycox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mycox said:

The beginning of breakfast tacos before the eggs went on.
20200119-110544.jpg

 

Pastor and fish tacos. The backyard smelled like Mexico City street food. Should have taken a picture of it plated with cilantro, onions, and pineapple.
20200119-104412.jpg

 

 

Very nice.  

 

Breakfast on the griddle is life changing. Pancakes, tacos, bacon, eggs. Since acquiring the griddle, I am district 7 regional champion of breakfast.  According to my kids at least. There is also something quite satisfying about being able to cook an entire package of bacon to perfection in like 7 minutes.  

Edited by Anastasis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mycox said:

The beginning of breakfast tacos before the eggs went on.
20200119-110544.jpg

 

Pastor and fish tacos. The backyard smelled like Mexico City street food. Should have taken a picture of it plated with cilantro, onions, and pineapple.
20200119-104412.jpg

 

 

God's work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through with the pizza the other night using the hard cover. Pretty good success. I did wind up pulling it with the peel and finishing it on broil in the oven for a couple of minutes as I didn't want the crust to get any darker. You can see I went way low on the middle 2 burners. I would have cranked the left and right but my aim was off center so I kept the left pretty low. 

49418143022_d394f8e9b8_b.jpg

49417930521_71c501428c_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't justify buying a blackstone. Has anyone seen a full sized griddle for a weber grill that replaces the 2 grates? I've even seen some 1 sided ones folks use. But being able to toss one of those on and use the full size of my grill would be pretty badass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can't justify buying a blackstone. Has anyone seen a full sized griddle for a weber grill that replaces the 2 grates? I've even seen some 1 sided ones folks use. But being able to toss one of those on and use the full size of my grill would be pretty badass.

Something like this?  Link

That would sit on top of your grates.  A griddle insert made by weber is probably out there somewhere but it would likely cost just as much as a Blackstone though.  Hell even the one I linked is still a $130.  You could probably find something similar cheaper though, but still blackstones are always on sale somewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Something like this?  Link

That would sit on top of your grates.  A griddle insert made by weber is probably out there somewhere but it would likely cost just as much as a Blackstone though.  Hell even the one I linked is still a $130.  You could probably find something similar cheaper though, but still blackstones are always on sale somewhere.

 

Yeah, I don't think I was very clear. I don't want something small that sits on the grates, I'm thinking of a big piece that would replace the grates themselves, to maximize surface area. Otherwise I can just use a any kind of griddle pan. 

Yeah, I get blackstone's aren't too expensive. Just seems excessive to 2 outdoor cookers when my kid is 2 and I'm currently the only adult meat eater in the house. But you're probably right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, I don't think I was very clear. I don't want something small that sits on the grates, I'm thinking of a big piece that would replace the grates themselves, to maximize surface area.


Where would the grease drain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I don't think I was very clear. I don't want something small that sits on the grates, I'm thinking of a big piece that would replace the grates themselves, to maximize surface area. Otherwise I can just use a any kind of griddle pan. 

Yeah, I get blackstone's aren't too expensive. Just seems excessive to 2 outdoor cookers when my kid is 2 and I'm currently the only adult meat eater in the house. But you're probably right. 

I knew what you meant, but I don't think it exists.  I used to have one of the half inserts for a spirit grill that replaced one of the grates.  You could double up on them but it still wouldn't be a very good griddle top because they'd be divided.  Blackstone does make a table top mobile version for camping and such.  That's probably your most practical option cost/space wise if you are just cooking for just a couple of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I get blackstone's aren't too expensive. Just seems excessive to 2 outdoor cookers when my kid is 2 and I'm currently the only adult meat eater in the house. But you're probably right. 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wake up every day with my spirit crushed because I just feel that there are too many cooking devices adorning my abode. 

(seriously it is getting pretty ridiculous)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Something like this?  Link

That would sit on top of your grates.  A griddle insert made by weber is probably out there somewhere but it would likely cost just as much as a Blackstone though.  Hell even the one I linked is still a $130.  You could probably find something similar cheaper though, but still blackstones are always on sale somewhere.

 

I have this, works like a champ, sits on top of the grates, same size as the Weber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I have this, works like a champ, sits on top of the grates, same size as the Weber

Really? It looks substantially smaller like maybe 2/3 the size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Something like this?  Link

That would sit on top of your grates.  A griddle insert made by weber is probably out there somewhere but it would likely cost just as much as a Blackstone though.  Hell even the one I linked is still a $130.  You could probably find something similar cheaper though, but still blackstones are always on sale somewhere.

 

If a smaller one would work, this is around 50.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HQHBSQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really? It looks substantially smaller like maybe 2/3 the size. 

Pro series is 25” wide, covers most of the Weber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can't justify buying a blackstone. Has anyone seen a full sized griddle for a weber grill that replaces the 2 grates? I've even seen some 1 sided ones folks use. But being able to toss one of those on and use the full size of my grill would be pretty badass.

what specific grill do you have/how big is the opening?

i know there are basically cast iron griddles you put on top of your grates but that sounds like it isn't what you are looking for.

depending on how much you want to spend you may be able to find some deals at your local walmart clearance. here is a slickdeals thread about it: https://slickdeals.net/f/13787600-walmart-griddle-and-grill-deals?v=1&src=SiteSearch

just click the brickseek link and enter your zip and will identify if any show in stock in your local walmart. there is a Cuisinart 360 griddle with a 22" diameter that is $124, the blackstone pro 28" for $130 or the blackstone 36" for about $150

again, not that these are "cheap" options but if you are going to spend 130 for a griddle that fits on top of your grill probably worth it to just pick up the Cuisinart 360 for slightly less with slightly more legwork. 

shows that it is at the Walmart at 1030 Norwood Park (near 183 and 35), and in Round Rock, and limited stock at 13201 Ranch Road 620N (183 and 45, near Lakeline Mall) or 1548 FM 685 in P'ville (130 and pflugerville parkway)

here is a used 28" Blackstone for $150 in P'ville on craigslist

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoName said:

what specific grill do you have/how big is the opening?

i know there are basically cast iron griddles you put on top of your grates but that sounds like it isn't what you are looking for.

depending on how much you want to spend you may be able to find some deals at your local walmart clearance. here is a slickdeals thread about it: https://slickdeals.net/f/13787600-walmart-griddle-and-grill-deals?v=1&src=SiteSearch

just click the brickseek link and enter your zip and will identify if any show in stock in your local walmart. there is a Cuisinart 360 griddle with a 22" diameter that is $124, the blackstone pro 28" for $130 or the blackstone 36" for about $150

again, not that these are "cheap" options but if you are going to spend 130 for a griddle that fits on top of your grill probably worth it to just pick up the Cuisinart 360 for slightly less with slightly more legwork. 

shows that it is at the Walmart at 1030 Norwood Park (near 183 and 35), and in Round Rock, and limited stock at 13201 Ranch Road 620N (183 and 45, near Lakeline Mall) or 1548 FM 685 in P'ville (130 and pflugerville parkway)

here is a used 28" Blackstone for $150 in P'ville on craigslist

 

 

I've got a 2016 Weber Genesis 300 (not the II). So each grate is 19.5 x 13. I love the thing, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. 

The griddles you can put on top just seem like they're cutting into the surface area, and you'd have to rich over a lip. I guess more than anything I'm surprised there aren't more inserts that you can just drop in, use, clean and let cool and then take inside and stash in the laundry room somewhere. 

But you're right. Considering the cost of Griddles, it really is getting to the "Why the hell not?" point. Thanks man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...