2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Show me some negative punditry from mass media on Pete that is near the level of how they go after Bernie. I genuinely haven't seen it.

every problem or screw-up has been covered. there haven’t been a ton, but they don’t gloss over it. and they bring up his poll numbers among poc fairly often.

i think they cover bernie like a well-known face who’s squarely in 3rd place, and doesn’t often appear on their networks.

again, i mostly watch cnn when i have news on, so i’m sheltered from anything maddow or chuck todd. 

I think Bernie is enjoying a nice little grace period from negative media post-heart attack. 

I also think, probably unfairly, a lot of people don't think he's a real threat to win the nomination right now. But his numbers have steadily increased in the last month or two. If Bernie catches fire, the negative attacks will rev up again. 

One of the reason Bernie gets negative coverage is because he looks, and is, old as fuck.

Pete's as cute as a button, is a Rhodes Scholar, and I think the media types just eat that up.  The coverage is always going to reflect this.

You note it - it is certainly noted on this thread -- and figure out a way to overcome it. 

19 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Pete's as cute as a button, is a Rhodes Scholar, and I think the media types just eat that up. 

also, as i said earlier, cnn is all about beating trump.  showcasing pete as a young, fresh-faced, "future of the party" type to let everyone know (or think) that all is well on the left, that it's not just a bunch of 70+ options moving forward, is likely something they're interested in investing a little time into.

and yes, many people like, and are drawn to smart people who articulate themselves well.  it's why we like tv shows (where the actors presumably know their lines ahead of time).

is this the part where bt needs citation on whether pete is smart or not?

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The media did not concern troll and hammer away at Bernie over the heart attack like I expected them to.  You can read into that however you want but it’s observable.  Gotta give credit to Bernie and his campaign for managing it to near perfection too.

well you could also argue that bernie didn't give them anything to work with.  he was out there stumping days later.

if he was waddling around like an infirmed 75 year old wearing a diaper and slurring his words, then i'm sure it would've been a bigger story.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well you could also argue that bernie didn't give them anything to work with.  he was out there stumping days later.

if he was waddling around like an infirmed 75 year old wearing a diaper and slurring his words, then i'm sure it would've been a bigger story.

“78 year old presidential candidate hospitalized from suffering a heart attack on campaign trail.”

Media: “Bernie really isn’t giving us much to work with here since he’s out and about a week later.”

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is this the part where bt needs citation on whether pete is smart or not?

Nope, just continually curious why he's the "smart" candidate when he's up against fellow Ivy grads and Rhodes Scholars and other flavors of well-schooled nerds. Also, curious as to what those smarts are intended to accomplish, especially with a candidate who is more about feelings than policy.

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“78 year old presidential candidate hospitalized from suffering a heart attack on campaign trail.”

Media: “Bernie really isn’t giving us much to work with here since he’s out and about a week later.”

i meant it as a compliment to bernie.

if he was on bed rest for a month, that would've been the story.  instead, the story was "holy cow, bernie is back at it 72 hours later."

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Nope, just continually curious why he's the "smart" candidate when he's up against fellow Ivy grads and Rhodes Scholars and other flavors of well-schooled nerds. Also, curious as to what those smarts are intended to accomplish, especially with a candidate who is more about feelings than policy.

he's not 'the' smart candidate.  he's 'a' smart candidate.  nothing else to be curious about unless you're looking for a fight (duh).

if you're asking what those smarts are intended to accomplish, then you're asking to start a new conversation.  i was discussing why i think he's likable and is able to connect with people during tv interviews and appearances.

i don't blame you for moving the goalposts.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Nancy Pelosi.

source.gif

She's the Speaker of the House, sure, but calm down. In no way is she the actual leader of this party. She's not running to be the president and she's not even a kingmaker (probably exactly the opposite, in fact). She's not leading with ideas and the candidates aren't trying to follow her leads.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i was discussing why i think he's likable and is able to connect with people during tv interviews and appearances.

So am I! 

He's likable to white people with moderate/centrist politics, money, and higher educations. We agree on this. News pundits (who fit the aforementioned profile) like him. People like you like him. I get it.

That's not our coalition to win this coming election and it's sure as hell not our coalition to making major progressive change to our economic system. Which is, of course, another part of why you and the pundit class like him, because they don't want major progressive change.

This isn't complicated.

Laughing in Fainting Hillary Clinton

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i was discussing why i think he's likable and is able to connect with people during tv interviews and appearances.

44 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So am I! 

He's likable to white people with moderate/centrist politics, money, and higher educations. We agree on this. News pundits (who fit the aforementioned profile) like him. People like you like him. I get it.

That's not our coalition to win this coming election and it's sure as hell not our coalition to making major progressive change to our economic system. Which is, of course, another part of why you and the pundit class like him, because they don't want major progressive change.

This isn't complicated.

Kill Whitey!!!

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Cool Jennifer Rubin op-ed. Love the insights of neo-cons who shilled for the Iraq War.

Great contributions to the board, David, top shelf.

She's a cheerleader for the Democratic establishment these days.

She's how bourgeois Democratic voters think.

That's what the left is up against.

43 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

"Biden is like having a flashlight with a dying battery and going for a long hike in the woods. It is not going to work out. It's not gonna make it." - Joe Rogan

Biden said weed is gateway drug lmaoooo. Someone put this man out of his misery.

well, nevertheless:

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

it's interesting to me, that even thru his stumbles, beto showed up strong in texas polls.  kamala hasn't had good numbers in ca in a really long time.

the chatter out here is that she's a total afterthought, and most of her big contributors have already moved on and endorsed/funded at least 1-2 candidates since they threw anything her way.

biden shouldn't finish top 2 in california.  hopefully not top 3.  california is positioned to pivot to whomever has the momentum (read - warren).

Wednesday’s Democratic debate will feature 10 candidates, each attempting to persuade the public that theirs is the best vision for the country. During the 2020 primary, The Washington Post has asked each Democratic candidate where they stand on more than 70 policy questions.

Now, it’s your turn to answer. Below are 10 questions we found particularly interesting, mostly because they reveal big differences between the candidates. We haven’t asked the campaigns about every topic, but this selection tries to cover a wide range of issues. Answer as many as you like.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

Capture.png

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Wednesday’s Democratic debate will feature 10 candidates, each attempting to persuade the public that theirs is the best vision for the country. During the 2020 primary, The Washington Post has asked each Democratic candidate where they stand on more than 70 policy questions.

Now, it’s your turn to answer. Below are 10 questions we found particularly interesting, mostly because they reveal big differences between the candidates. We haven’t asked the campaigns about every topic, but this selection tries to cover a wide range of issues. Answer as many as you like.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

Capture.png

paywall