2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Saying that "Joe Biden has dementia" is a right-wring talking point is like saying it's a right-wing talking point to agree with a conservative that the sky is blue.  Twaddle.

It's a way people have of making sure they never have to question their own values or motives. All criticism is haram. All negativity is invalid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/documents/monmouthpoll_us_032416.pdf/  

The election blew up in Clinton's face because the support of moderate Republicans she had been chasing melted away as the election approached.  Why would you not expect something similar to happen with Biden?  The Dems are using the exact same plan which failed so spectacularly four years ago, but I guess losing in this manner is preferable to the alternative.  

Thank you for the link.  It's interesting, because Cruz-Hillary is much closer, and Kasich actually beats Hillary in that age range.  I don't suspect HIllary lost support as much as Republicans talked themselves into Trump.  In regards to your second sentence: there's no longer an "unknown" intrigue with Trump, as stupid as that ever was.  Odds are there won't be an FBI election-altering statement the week before the election.  (And honestly even if there was, given this administration, I think most would just write it off as trying to game the election.) 

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Looks like Gen X is turning into the Baby Boomers they claim to hate.

A woman who was one of his staffers in the 90s has alleged that he pushed her up against a wall and put his fingers in her vagina while propositioning her. She told multiple people about it at the time and went through sexual harassment channels in the Senate and was ignored. She has named names of the people she talked to, and they have either confirmed her telling them at the time or not commented.

Interview here with Tara Reade.

Yep. That sounds pretty bad. Crazy this has been covered up until now. 

30 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Saying that "Joe Biden has dementia" is a right-wring talking point is like saying it's a right-wing talking point to agree with a conservative that the sky is blue.  Twaddle.

If Joe has dementia then what the hell is going on with Donald? He has short term memory as well as ADD, lies, can’t read or comprehend complex problems. And he’s a con artist. So, there you go! Sounds like we’re screwed!

It always kind of works out the same, honestly. Across the supposed ideological spectrum, accusers are really only as credible as political allegiance allows.

We were furious in defense of Christine Blasey Ford because the target was just and her elocution and credentials massaged our class ego and we hated her critics. We didn't support Ford because she was a woman accusing a man. That's a lie we tell ourselves.

The same people who wept about how indelible the memory was in Ford's hippocampus are happy to attack the credibility Clinton's and Biden's accusers or, at absolute best, actively ignore them like Judas walking the line. How many pink pussy hats in the Women's March were carrying signs about justice for Juanita Broaddrick?

This is totally normal human behavior, and it's just as normal that we keep ourselves blind to our own hypocrisy. You have to, because how can you tell others that they are morally bankrupt for not swearing fealty to your guy/party if you allow yourself to believe that your guy is a rapist and your party is OK with it?

You'd have to do crazy shit like... I don't know... think about what the deplorables actually need and appeal to them on that level. And question whether or not loyalty to parties is a valid construct. And slaughter sacred cows. And concede hypocrisies and failures. And embrace self-doubt. All of which are uncomfortable things.

18 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Thank you for the link.  It's interesting, because Cruz-Hillary is much closer, and Kasich actually beats Hillary in that age range.  I don't suspect HIllary lost support as much as Republicans talked themselves into Trump.  In regards to your second sentence: there's no longer an "unknown" intrigue with Trump, as stupid as that ever was.  Odds are there won't be an FBI election-altering statement the week before the election.  (And honestly even if there was, given this administration, I think most would just write it off as trying to game the election.) 

Trump was total entertainment, and he lied and told them he’d give them anything they wanted. IMO, his master stroke was giving an inauguration speech to his base that presented the US as a black hole waste land that he inherited, which was a lie and what they believed. It allowed for him to take credit for the growth, both in jobs and economy, that we were already experiencing under Obama. Trump is a con artist. I dread this presidential campaign. 

10 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

If Joe has dementia then what the hell is going on with Donald? He has short term memory as well as ADD, lies, can’t read or comprehend complex problems. And he’s a con artist. So, there you go! Sounds like we’re screwed!

nah, we'll be fine as long as we win the senate and kick the can.

• Like 1

It is a harder road to win the Senate. I can't vote for Mitch McConnell's opponent. I can vote against Cornyn's but the winner of the run off is going to have a real tough time unless the olds blame the whole republican party and vote Democratic. That is pretty unlikely. 

We are stuck with two demented pussy grabbers. One by his own admission and the stories of some women who have come out and reported it and the other by the account of a woman that seems to have some back-up to her story. If she has those emails she shared with the women's org she went to for help then that will make it more credible. I imagine the Senate office she went to to file the harassment claim destroyed that paperwork.  I'll still vote for Biden even so.

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It always kind of works out the same, honestly. Across the supposed ideological spectrum, accusers are really only as credible as political allegiance allows.

We were furious in defense of Christine Blasey Ford because the target was just and her elocution and credentials massaged our class ego and we hated her critics. We didn't support Ford because she was a woman accusing a man. That's a lie we tell ourselves.

The same people who wept about how indelible the memory was in Ford's hippocampus are happy to attack the credibility Clinton's and Biden's accusers or, at absolute best, actively ignore them like Judas walking the line. How many pink pussy hats in the Women's March were carrying signs about justice for Juanita Broaddrick?

This is totally normal human behavior, and it's just as normal that we keep ourselves blind to our own hypocrisy. You have to, because how can you tell others that they are morally bankrupt for not swearing fealty to your guy/party if you allow yourself to believe that your guy is a rapist and your party is OK with it?

You'd have to do crazy shit like... I don't know... think about what the deplorables actually need and appeal to them on that level. And question whether or not loyalty to parties is a valid construct. And slaughter sacred cows. And concede hypocrisies and failures. And embrace self-doubt. All of which are uncomfortable things.

Welcome to politics. 

• Like 1

Deanna: "Gonna post my embarrassing meltdown on Facebook to own the left."

This is an actual line from her post that she put in public with her name on it on purpose:
"The worst thing that Bernie Sanders has taught the people who love him is that activism doesn't matter."

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

She's amplifying and seemingly approving a video of Tucker Carlson's commentary. Aka a literal right wing talking point. 

So if Tucker Carlson says, "Joe Biden is bad because he doesn't support single-payer healthcare for all Americans" that becomes a right-wing talking point?

When some right-wing pundit says, "Joe Biden is a warmonger who will start more wars" that becomes a right-wing talking point?

"Right-wing talking point" isn't defined by the content, only the speaker?

lol

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So if Tucker Carlson says, "Joe Biden is bad because he doesn't support single-payer healthcare for all Americans" that becomes a right-wing talking point?

When some right-wing pundit says, "Joe Biden is a warmonger who will start more wars" that becomes a right-wing talking point?

"Right-wing talking point" isn't defined by the content, only the speaker?

lol

Does Joe Biden have dementia?  Or is that a negative, speculative conclusion promoted by those who benefit from his defeat?

Again, you are smarter than this.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

2 hours ago, Xian said:

A lot of my Bernie friends are having Facebook meltdowns and won’t stop calling Biden a rapist. So I got that going for me. 
I haven’t been paying attention these last few weeks (Virus has sucked the air out of the room). What are these allegations all about?   Has Biden used the virus as cover to release his inner Jack the Ripper

You rang?

You're a naughty one Saucy Jack
You're a haughty one Saucy Jack
When the streetlamp gaslight flickers and fails
Then you see the last light glinting off the entrails

Oh naughty naughty naughty

You're a sneaky one Saucy Jack
You're a cheeky one Saucy Jack
First the whore says "Guv'nor fancy a squeeze?"
Next you will be shov'in her down the hole to Hades

The scourge of London Town
(The scourge of London Town)
There'll be no rest 'til
You are a guest of The Crown

Naughty naughty naughty

You're a ghoulish one Saucy Jack
Not a foolish one Saucy Jack
Though the peelers track you early and late
Slipping out the back you counter with a checkmate

Naughty naughty naughty

Edited by SaucyJack
Spinal Tap
  • Like 2

I don't think he has dementia.

But claiming someone has dementia isn't a "right-wing talking point".

You can argue that she's parroting dishonest attacks from right-wing pundits if you like, but that wasn't Hank's point. Hank is still mad about Pete being rightly called out for attacking progressive ideas with right-wing talking points. Which is something Pete did.

[edit]

There's no claim that Joe Biden has "dementia" in the thing Bri retweeted.

Some mean speculation and a "welp!" face at the end of playing a clip of Joe being Joe.

Edited by bad_teammate

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

That was exactly my point. 

Well even that is wrong, because here's what she actually said:

------------------------------
Bernie was too kind to go after Biden, but it's coming.

Either Dem leadership cares more abt maintaining a corporate status quo than getting rid of Trump, or they're planning to replace Joe - adopting a pretty fast and loose relationship w/ representative Democracy.

Lose lose.
------------------------------

She's not even arguing that Tucker is right. She's pointing out the line of attack against Biden that he was not tested on during the primary.

So you're wrong about all of it because you're still mad at the Sanders campaign. Oops.

Oh, Republicans are going to attack Biden? How fascinating. Who could every see that coming? Guess I need Bernie's press secretary to spell it out for us. 

Her tweet is complete gibberish, with an added dose of conspiracy theory about Dems possibly "planning to replace Joe". 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

If you supported Bernie and don't vote for Joe Biden, you are supporting Donald Trump for president.

If you opposed Sanders in the primary and continue to ridicule, mock and taunt his supporters now that Bernie has dropped out, you are supporting Donald Trump for President. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay. Well enjoy 4 more years of someone completely destroying any idea of a progressive agenda for generations to come while you didn't give a shit because your candidate got beat at the polls in the primary. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Her tweet is complete gibberish, with an added dose of conspiracy theory about Dems possibly "planning to replace Joe". 

Are you going to act like replacing Joe with Andrew Cuomo is an idea Tucker Carlson invented? lol #sad

Guess I need Bernie's press secretary to spell it out for us. 

I guess you do since you follow her on twitter even thought you hate her. :)

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There's a lot of flailing right now online. It will pass. Lots of taking your ball and going home.

This is true. Many Bernie supporters are flailing. Guys who supported non-Bidens are flailing. Lots of flailing happening. Lots of mutual condemnations and threats. Love to see it.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Okay. Well enjoy 4 more years of someone completely destroying any idea of a progressive agenda ...

Neither Joe Biden nor Donald Trump will do anything but be openly hostile towards a progressive agenda. You know this.

Edited by bad_teammate

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There's a lot of flailing right now online. It will pass. Lots of taking your ball and going home.

It won't pass. The Bernie left on Twitter will concern troll Biden for the next 7 months, they will threaten not to vote for him, and continue to scold Democratic voters while acting like anyone supporting the nominee is a Joe Biden superfan (even though the vast majority preferred another candidate). 

And BT will do the exact same thing on Surly. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Neither Joe Biden nor Donald Trump will do anything but be openly hostile towards a progressive agenda. You know this.

One will be a lot more hostile towards a progressive agenda. One has already installed Supreme Court justices who are openly hostile towards a progressive agenda. One has already installed Federal and Appeals Court judges who are openly hostile towards a progressive agenda. One is openly hostile to any idea of tackling climate change. You know all this too. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 7

Just now, mdmost said:

One will be a lot more hostile towards a progressive agenda.

So let's just put Anita Hill aside and look at this on its face...

You are willing to concede that both of these men are the enemy of my values, but one is less of an enemy so I am morally obligated to vote for him? 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It won't pass. The Bernie left on Twitter will concern troll Biden for the next 7 months, they will threaten not to vote for him, and continue to scold Democratic voters while acting like anyone supporting the nominee is a Joe Biden superfan (even though the vast majority preferred another candidate). 

And BT will do the exact same thing on Surly. 

I don't think "concern troll" is the right word there, because I'm not pretending to like Joe or have his best interests at heart. I hope he melts down and drops out tomorrow.

But the rest of it, abso-fucking-lutely. There is no functional difference between someone who is a Biden troll because they love Joe or a Biden troll because they hate the left. I see no need to differentiate.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So let's just put Anita Hill aside and look at this on its face...

You are willing to concede that both of these men are the enemy of my values, but one is less of an enemy so I am morally obligated to vote for him? 

You are not morally obligated to vote for anyone.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

There is no functional difference between someone who is a Biden troll because they love Joe or a Biden troll because they hate the left. I see no need to differentiate.

What about someone who's voted for Bernie in both primaries and hates the Bernie left? 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

What about someone who's voted for Bernie in both primaries and hates the Bernie left? 

Asked and answered with the second clause.

Either that or you're claiming to like the non-Bernie left? Which is... anti-electoralists? Are you a tankie? Do you like Bob Avakian? I mean if you're some kind of BEB freak then I've got you all wrong and you might be as cool as Fozzz.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

What about someone who voted for Bernie in both primaries, doesn't hate the Bernie left but thinks they are incredibly naive when it comes to the practical realities of American politics?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

But the rest of it, abso-fucking-lutely. There is no functional difference between someone who is a Biden troll because they love Joe or a Biden troll because they hate the left. I see no need to differentiate.

biden troll because they love joe = fairly small group

biden troll because they hate the left = fairly small group

biden troll because they hate trump = huge group

the only people making this "about the left" are, well, the people on the left.  the left attacks people online.  when those people play defense, they're seen as "attacking the left".  to this day we still get accused of attacking the left for defending pete on this board.  most everyone on here who was supporting any non-bernie candidate gets accused of having motivations that amount to "hating the left".  it's a sad day when you realize the world doesn't revolve around you.  hopefully that realization comes soon for some of these people.

defending biden online isn't synonymous with attacking the left.  to act like everyone who's supporting biden is doing it out of disdain for the left is ridiculous and purposely dishonest.  it's like psyching yourself up in front of a mirror before a big moment.  but i guess whatever works to get people fired up for their big day of online outrage.

this is a  "biden vs trump" thing, not an "anyone vs the left" thing.  

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Vice President Biden, no one under 50 likes you."

- "Listen here, Jack, we're gonna offer them lowering the Medicare age to 60."

"Brilliant, sir. Now let's see if those ungrateful piece of shit accept it."

#TheDemocrats

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/cnn-poll-biden-trump/index.html

And the poll suggests Biden holds a broad advantage among younger voters, who tended to be more supportive of Sanders in the Democratic primary fight. Among those under age 35, 62% back Biden, 31% Trump, while Trump's support is stronger among seniors (55% Trump to 42% Biden).

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Vice President Biden, no one under 50 likes you."

- "Listen here, Jack, we're gonna offer them lowering the Medicare age to 60."

"Brilliant, sir. Now let's see if those ungrateful piece of shit accept it."

#TheDemocrats

No comment about his student debt forgiveness plan that was also included in that tweet? Shocking.