Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I bet you selfish fucks didn’t properly drain and clean your boats a couple years ago when all this was taking hold.  and now you show up and bitch about the utility company.  this has nothing to do with austin utilities and everything to do with lazy, entitled boaters. 

I'm far too poor to have a boat.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I bet you shellfish fucks didn’t properly drain and clean your boats a couple years ago when all this was taking hold.  and now you show up and bitch about the utility company.  this has nothing to do with austin utilities and everything to do with lazy, entitled boaters. 

fixed.

Edited by Chips O'Toole
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I can't help but think the zebra mussel excuse was a cover for some bigger fuckup.

Like after the October surprise, our City leadership is as incompetent as is municipally possible...

• 2 weeks later...

There's absolutely no way the water utility could have foreseen or prepared for this. 

Oh wait, they were warned about this issue 18 months ago by their own employees:

More than a year before foul-smelling water poured from Austin’s faucets and showers, Mehrdad Morabbi, Austin Water’s operations manager, gave a stark presentation about the invasion of zebra mussels in the Lower Colorado River lake system.

The mollusks had been detected in Lake Travis in June 2017 and two months later, they were found in Lake Austin. With the two lakes that supply Austin’s water system on the verge of infestation, it was a given that the invasive mussels — native to fresh waters in Eurasia — would soon hit the city’s three water treatment plants.

“It is time for us to start rolling into action,” Morabbi told the city’s Water and Wastewater Commission.

Morabbi suggested using a sodium permanganate mitigation system, incorporating a chemical treatment that causes the mussels to detach from treated areas. Estimated to cost $1.1 million, the system — already in use in Dallas and being built at treatment plants that serve Round Rock, Cedar Park and Leander — would require 18 months to design and build. The yet-to-be-built mitigation system will eventually be replaced by a more-permanent safeguard against zebra mussels.

At that $1.1 million price tag, Austin Water could have acted on Morabbi’s recommendation immediately, using a discretionary fund to cover construction and installation. Instead, officials waited 18 months to move forward, and the sodium permanganate system remains unbuilt.

Hey, but we have artists embedded with the watershed department and tons and tons of bike lanes!! Priorities. 

link

• Like 1

Nope, the proposed Council review of Austin Water was/is uncalled for/frivolous.  The way they shouted down Troxclair at the time makes me wonder what they knew back then.  

14 hours ago, Deej said:

If someone had told Ann Kitchen those unlicensed zebra mussels might possibly assault and rape unsuspecting swimmers, she would have leapt into action.

That's it!! All zebra mussels need to provide fingerprints before they can take up residence in our lakes.