2020 Presidential Election

Parliament

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t get this calculation in today’s political climate.  IMO you need a non-polarizing energizer and campaigner as VP that will get voters motivated. 

What does a political insider get you on the ticket that you couldn’t get by appointment in the cabinet? 

Beto does not need much help with the ticket, but someone who would cement the Pa, Wi, and Mi vote could help.

I am thinking more toward getting legislation passed and putting a senator in charge of the Senate is usually a good idea.

The more I think about 2020 I think the Dems should make marijuana legalization and it's taxation a key issue in 2020.  Legalize pot and use the revenues for healthcare. Now I know that legalizing pot is a lean to the left, but I also know a shit ton of conservative folks that simply do not understand why it is illegal, with a bar on every corner of every city.  

I don't know what candidate will emerge from the Democratic side.  I do expect, what has now become a tradition of a crappy economic handoff by a GOP President after massive tax cuts for the weathy, to again be the situation near election time.  The super secret GOP healthcare plan will still be just as secret as it's been the last 20 years, and the swing of young voters, educated voters, and especially educated women to make the blue wave of 2018 in a VERY unfavorable landscape seem like a ripple.

The really bad news for the GOP is that the time of constantly promoting lies as your PRIMARY issue will be coming to an end.  there won't be the lie of "death panels" for example in 20202.  There WILL be a big lie from the GOP, but with so many lies from Trump that lie will be seen as just another. The worst thing is that this blue wave in 2020 is most likely to have the Dems make more gains in the state houses, and that means the mind boggling partisan redistricting that managed to keep the GOP winning seats when losing the popular votes will likely swing the other direction. In essence the actual will of the people will be much better reflected.

I'm trying to figure out what the GOP is going to run on?  We got rid of Trump at the last minute? Have Trump declare martial law and keep the "GOP" in power forever? This massive mess is not out fault?  We aren't really as racist as we seem? Your healthcare is expensive and we made it even moreso? Well... millionaires did pretty damn well... Wisconsin and Pennsylvania?  The vast majority of first time and young voters in 2018 skewed heavily to the Dems in an off year election. I think if the Dems make the wholesale move toward legalizing pot as one of their main planks I think the wipeout could be of epic proportions as an army of voters "get up off the couch." 😉  

17 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

He’d say Pocahontas.  63,000,000 would squeal “got heeeeem!” (Her) and we’d go to bed.  That ain’t worth middle dollar. 

I’d love to see that go down, then Warren run across the stage and slap the living shit out of him.  He’d be curled up in the fetal position blubbering like the baby he is.

6 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The more I think about 2020 I think the Dems should make marijuana legalization and it's taxation a key issue in 2020.  Legalize pot and use the revenues for healthcare. Now I know that legalizing pot is a lean to the left, but I also know a shit ton of conservative folks that simply do not understand why it is illegal, with a bar on every corner of every city.  

I don't know what candidate will emerge from the Democratic side.  I do expect, what has now become a tradition of a crappy economic handoff by a GOP President after massive tax cuts for the weathy, to again be the situation near election time.  The super secret GOP healthcare plan will still be just as secret as it's been the last 20 years, and the swing of young voters, educated voters, and especially educated women to make the blue wave of 2018 in a VERY unfavorable landscape seem like a ripple.

The really bad news for the GOP is that the time of constantly promoting lies as your PRIMARY issue will be coming to an end.  there won't be the lie of "death panels" for example in 20202.  There WILL be a big lie from the GOP, but with so many lies from Trump that lie will be seen as just another. The worst thing is that this blue wave in 2020 is most likely to have the Dems make more gains in the state houses, and that means the mind boggling partisan redistricting that managed to keep the GOP winning seats when losing the popular votes will likely swing the other direction. In essence the actual will of the people will be much better reflected.

I'm trying to figure out what the GOP is going to run on?  We got rid of Trump at the last minute? Have Trump declare martial law and keep the "GOP" in power forever? This massive mess is not out fault?  We aren't really as racist as we seem? Your healthcare is expensive and we made it even moreso? Well... millionaires did pretty damn well... Wisconsin and Pennsylvania?  The vast majority of first time and young voters in 2018 skewed heavily to the Dems in an off year election. I think if the Dems make the wholesale move toward legalizing pot as one of their main planks I think the wipeout could be of epic proportions as an army of voters "get up off the couch." 😉  

20202 is a long ways off. Anything can happen in the next 19000 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, horn4life said:

They will run on fear like they always do and it will probably work again.  Because this country is full of got damned morons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, horn4life said:

• 3 months later...

The new machines, like the ones they’re replacing, allow voters to use a touchscreen to select their choices. But they also print out a slip of paper with the vote both displayed in plain text and embedded in a barcode — a hard copy that, in theory, would make it harder for hackers to silently manipulate the results.

Security experts warn, however, that hackers could still manipulate the barcodes without voters noticing. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine has also warned against trusting the barcode-based devices without more research, saying they “raise security and verifiability concerns.”

In January, a commission created by Kemp recommended replacing those paperless machines with barcode devices. Election security experts had urged the committee to instead recommend a paper-based system.

States, cities and counties switching to new technology will probably have to live with their choices for years to come, given the expense and difficulty of changing systems.

The dispute over the ballot-marking devices centers on the fact that they use barcodes, which can be read by scanners but not by humans. Though the paper records also display a voter’s choices in plain text, which the voter can double-check, the barcode is the part that gets tallied.

The danger: Hackers who infiltrate a ballot-marking device could modify the barcode so its vote data differs from what’s in the printed text. If this happened, a voter would have no way of spotting it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/01/election-vulnerable-voting-machines-1198780

17 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

46% approval rating. Jesus fucking christ we're fucked. 

POTUS elections are always about 50%-52%, just like a coin flip, unlike many other elections such as governor, Senate, Rep, mayor which routinely get 65-75% for the winner. It's so random really, but why? Why can't a winner get a huge win?  Obvious answer is POTUS is the only national election, the others are state or local, but still, why can't a President , in modern times, ever get a huge majority? 

Edited by NowThis

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

It's one poll. Go to fivethirtyeight.com if you want to see where he really is. He'll be back down below 40 at some point in the next few months. His shitty numbers are remarkably consistent.

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

Among all adults.

All adults do not vote - only 55% of voting age citizens (adults) turned out.  What matters is registered voters (for now) and then likely voters.  So think about that - only slightly above half of all adults in the U.S. who are eligible to vote showed up; meaning all the rest either aren't eligible or aren't registered or don't care enough to take 45 min out of their day once every 4 years to vote.

Edited by Js1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Among all adults.

All adults do not vote - only 55% of voting age citizens (adults) turned out.  What matters is registered voters (for now) and then likely voters.  So think about that - only slightly above half of all adults in the U.S. who are eligible to vote showed up; meaning all the rest either aren't eligible or aren't registered or don't care enough to take 45 min out of their day once every 4 years to vote.

life is so good in the United States that politics don't really matter so much. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

That must be why everyone is so happy here compared to other places.

actually this is true. Despite the complaints, Americans aren't leaving in droves, and people are risking death to get here.  I'm just pointing out the low voter turnout is tied in to lack of discomfort. 

Just now, NowThis said:

actually this is true. Despite the complaints, Americans aren't leaving in droves, and people are risking death to get here.  I'm just pointing out the low voter turnout is tied in to lack of discomfort. 

We don't stack up very well when it comes to happiness or satisfaction compared to other western democracies.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We don't stack up very well when it comes to happiness or satisfaction compared to other western democracies.

This is true too. There's a certain amount of despondency and learned helplessness in the would be electorate. Plus all the voter suppression. There are many reasons people don't vote.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

because Americans are a nation of spoiled entitle brats and perpetual whiners. 

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

because Americans are a nation of spoiled entitle brats and perpetual whiners. 

We’re also the most overworked and under compensated but we don’t realize it because it’s just the way it has always been.  Our incredible economic numbers and productivity output comes from somewhere.  How else can we afford a trillion dollar annual military budget? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re also the most overworked and under paid but we don’t realize it because it’s just the way it has always been.  Our incredible economic numbers and productivity output comes from somewhere.  How else can we afford a trillion dollar annual military budget? 

we weren't always underpaid, our purchasing power has declined to the point where products are made cheaply to meet affordable price points. Globalization has killed the value of income. 

Good that you brought up the military, which is about $700bil, this is the KEY to EVERYTHING.  Chop off $200bil/yr, still a strong level of military, use this $200bil for everything we need and NO new taxes.  It's so easy.  Yet no one has the brains/guts to mention it (except me!). 

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Evangelical Christian third from last with barely over 50%.  That's interesting and a definite change from years past.

Obama is a Farakhan loving black Muslim, but won both elections.  That calls the poll into question.

• Like 1