The 2019 NBA Draft

Goo Punch

49 minutes ago, NowThis said:

what is the future of Tacko Fall, the 7'6" one from UCF? He's not explosive, reflexes are on the slow side, will he make it? 

I say no.   He doesn't have the touch that Boban has.   He won't be the disruptive force at the NBA level that he was in CBB.   He can play overseas if he wants but he is a SUPER smart kid and may chose to work a real job in his field.

Edited by d2o

https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/virginia-guard-kyle-guy-declares-for-nba-draft/article_5cc9f9d0-607d-11e9-8970-9738ab75f12a.html

Just saw this quote in above article on Guy:

"Per new NCAA rules stemming from the FBI college basketball scandal, Guy can sign with an NCAA-certified agent, receive feedback and still return to UVa. To return to the Cavaliers, Guy must withdraw his name from the draft by May 29."

17 hours ago, d2o said:

I say no.   He doesn't have the touch that Boban has.   He won't be the disruptive force at the NBA level that he was in CBB.   He can play overseas if he wants but he is a SUPER smart kid and may chose to work a real job in his field.

He's 7'6". He will at least get a summer league invite and probably spend some time in the G League if he looks good in workouts. 

Just now, ztejas said:

He's 7'6". He will at least get a summer league invite and probably spend some time in the G League if he looks good in workouts. 

He can play in the g-league for sure.  Just dont know if that will be enough money to sway him that is why I mentioned overseas.    He will have many real world/job opportunities that the g-league pay can't stack up against.  

Here's the Ringer's top 30 Big Board. https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.129310026.753188356.1555629515-520302434.1554155054

I'd probably prefer Morant over Barrett at 2.

There really isn't much depth at all in this draft. Taking a known entity that's decent at best like Hunter, Reddish, Culver, etc. at 5 would be pretty disappointing. Hunter's a solid player, but he's usually a guy who is a late lottery pick in better drafts. If I were a team around pick 5, I'd look hard at guys like Garland or the Euros in an effort to find someone with higher upside who could be on of your 2 or 3 best players on a contender. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Here's the Ringer's top 30 Big Board. https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.129310026.753188356.1555629515-520302434.1554155054

I'd probably prefer Morant over Barrett at 2.

There really isn't much depth at all in this draft. Taking a known entity that's decent at best like Hunter, Reddish, Culver, etc. at 5 would be pretty disappointing. Hunter's a solid player, but he's usually a guy who is a late lottery pick in better drafts. If I were a team around pick 5, I'd look hard at guys like Garland or the Euros in an effort to find someone with higher upside who could be on of your 2 or 3 best players on a contender. 

Looking at this shows me how silly the tanking thing is. If you don't get a top 2 or 3 pick what do you do? Tank again? There will be another guy in the lottery or late in the first that will blow up but its all a crap shoot after Ja and Zion IMO.  Throwing away whole seasons for that shit is stupid.

This is one of those drafts where NBA GM's out think themselves and then years later somebody looks at it and says, "How the fuck did Kawhi Leonard or Giannis slide to 15 in this draft?" Somebody is going to get an all star caliber player in the mid to late first round or even the second, but there are going to be a bunch of busts along the way.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is one of those drafts where NBA GM's out think themselves and then years later somebody looks at it and says, "How the fuck did Kawhi Leonard or Giannis slide to 15 in this draft?" Somebody is going to get an all star caliber player in the mid to late first round or even the second, but there are going to be a bunch of busts along the way.

Bingo!

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Looking at this shows me how silly the tanking thing is. If you don't get a top 2 or 3 pick what do you do? Tank again? There will be another guy in the lottery or late in the first that will blow up but its all a crap shoot after Ja and Zion IMO.  Throwing away whole seasons for that shit is stupid.

For this 2019 NBA Draft.....

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
18 hours ago, Machinator said:
D6DoP-TU0AINmdV.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

Knicks sending controversial Patrick Ewing to the lottery? Cue the tin foil hat conspiracies!

They had the worst record in the league.   Would it really be a conspiracy if they won the lottery?

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2019 at 11:57 PM, Machinator said:

Big Celtic off season for both the Draft and possible trades.....

Boston Celtics 2019 NBA Draft pick update: Which picks can they expect?

by Michael James.     1 month ago

The 2018-19 regular season ends in less than a week, so let’s take stock of where the Boston Celtics’ draft picks currently stand.

Typically waiting to see where your team’s draft pick lands has almost everything to do with hoping for as talented a player as possible to add to the squad’s core. Over the past five seasons, that’s how Celtics fans have operated, but this year is different. The Celtics could have as many as four first round picks, making it nearly impossible to keep all of the selections on the roster.

There’s the added caveat of hoping to trade those picks for a big name, say Anthony Davis, but given the Celtics’ inability to finalize a trade for him before this year’s draft, having as many future firsts as possible is ideal. Sure, if the Celtics and Pelicans can agree in principle to a deal before the draft and select the players New Orleans would want, having two lottery picks would help with salary matching. It just makes things more complicated, and superstar trades are already incredibly complicated.

With three-ish games left for every team in the league, here’s where the Celtics’ draft stash stands.

Round 1, No. 9 (From Memphis): Pick will convey if outside top-8

The Grizzlies want to give the Celtics their pick this year so they don’t have to worry about giving it up next year or the year after. Memphis is a half a game ahead of the Wizards and Pelicans in the standings with games against Dallas, Detroit and Golden State to end the season. If they lose two out of the three the Celtics should be in good shape to have that pick in their pocket for next year.

Round 1, No.14 (From Sacramento): Pick will convey if it is not No.1 overall

This one is basically a lock to convey to Boston, and a late lottery pick isn’t the worst thing to have if the Memphis pick carries over to next season. The Kings are a half a game ahead of the Heat in the standings who are still fighting for a playoff spot. Sacramento has two games left (vs NO, @POR), so C’s fans should hope for two losses to improve the pick just a smidge.

Round 1, No. 20 (From LA Clippers): Pick will convey if outside top-14

This is locked in to convey and should be in the 18-22 range. There was hope the Clippers would miss the playoffs and this pick would carry over after the Tobias Harris trade, but the Clippers have played exceptional basketball since the trade deadline (17-8 with ninth best net rating). All the Celtics can hope for are losses to the Jazz and Warriors to make the selection better.

Round 1, No. 22 (Celtics own pick)

After taking care of the Pacers last night, the Celtics are most likely locked in at 22. They’ll have the Magic and Wizards to close the season, where one win will secure home court in the first round of the playoffs.

I think Carson Edwards will be a Top 5 player in this draft!  He reminds me of Damian Lillard.  I so want the Spurs to draft him as he would be a perfect fit for them! 

I do not get NBA scouting.  They keep drafting tall centers (Jackson Hayes, Bol Bol) who have no use in today's game or 6'7 forwards who cannot shoot the 3 like RJ Barrett, De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish, PJ Washington.  Yet they ignore point guards like Carson Edwards who have unlimited range and can get to the rim and finish, which are the two most important attributes in today's game!

4 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

I think Carson Edwards will be a Top 5 player in this draft!  He reminds me of Damian Lillard.  I so want the Spurs to draft him as he would be a perfect fit for them! 

I do not get NBA scouting.  They keep drafting tall centers (Jackson Hayes, Bol Bol) who have no use in today's game or 6'7 forwards who cannot shoot the 3 like RJ Barrett, De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish, PJ Washington.  Yet they ignore point guards like Carson Edwards who have unlimited range and can get to the rim and finish, which are the two most important attributes in today's game!

I dont know about Hayes as I haven't watched him but Bol Bol is not just a tall center.   He is a 7ft+ wing guy with range out to 3 and ball handling skills.   That is very much what the current NBA is about.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What if NY thinks they can land KD with brow?

They could do like CLE did with Wiggins and wait until FA period start to make the trade but if they are not getting both it doesn't make sense to trade for Zion IMO.    The league will be falling all over themselves to give them prime time spots and publicity whether they win or lose and they can try to build a team the right way.   If they don't have KD in hand then they need to keep Zion if they get him.

Is it wrong that I am outwardly rooting against the Knicks to win the lottery? We are going to get Zion media overload 24/7 regardless, but if he ends up in NY it is going to be nauseating. I will end up hating the guy just because of the overexposure, and I don't want to do that. 

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is it wrong that I am outwardly rooting against the Knicks to win the lottery? We are going to get Zion media overload 24/7 regardless, but if he ends up in NY it is going to be nauseating. I will end up hating the guy just because of the overexposure, and I don't want to do that. 

you aren't the only one.   It was crazy as hell with hm playing for Duke.   Its gonna be a million times worse if he goes to NYC.

I must be of the rare ones that want the Knicks to be relevant. NYC being involved is a hell of a lot more better than Orlando, Charlotte in the east.

Yea their fans think every FA wants to live in NY but looking past that false bullshit..the game is more enjoyable when MSG is alive and rocking.

Still not sold on Zion being a transcending talent. I take Morant and not look back.

Zion is transcendent. His combination of size and athleticism is unmatched, ever, and he actually has basketball skill- he already has really nice footwork, he can use both hands, and in the open floor jean just a terror. He is going to be 12-15x All Star if he avoids injury, and the only question i have is how long it takes him to develop a reliable shot. To me he steps into the league at an All Star level, and the closer he gets to having an actual jumper, the closer he gets to becoming an All-NBA level player. He and Morant are both a sure thing in my mind, but Zion's potential is just unlimited. 

The best Zion destination for the league and everyone involved would be Dallas to play with Luka and KP. This is not an argument, and I am not taking calls at this time. Thank you sirs and I wish you a good day. 

• Like 3