Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

• 4 weeks later...

Harrison-Post-Card-Final-Image.jpg

This goes with a pretty cool Beatles story. Interesting read.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/musicblog/2015/03/18/beatles-sister-louise-harrison-departs-the-midwest-after-50-odd-and-entertaining-years?page=2

And so it was that George Harrison, along with brother Peter, stepped off a plane at Lambert Field in St. Louis and became the first Beatle to set foot on American soil.

And no one cared.

There were no throngs of screaming, frenzied young girls, no gang of reporters, no legions of police, no limo. Instead, there was a twenty-year-old British traveler with a strange haircut holding his bags, standing at his designated meeting spot beneath a replica of Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, waiting for his ride.

Five short months later he would step off of another airplane at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport and enter the national zeitgeist, where he has remained.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"This song I wrote with Donnie Fritts. Donnie Fritts yeah, funky Donnie Fritts."
     "He's been playin' keyboards with Kristofferson for about 17 or 18 years, and, me and Donnie hung out a lot of nights together. 
    "The last thing we'd always say to each other was 'uh, we ought to get together and write a song someday.' Which is something you say with a lot of people, but a lot of times you don't get around to it."
    "They also call Donnie The 'Leaning man from Alabam because when he stands around real still, he assumes a, like a 45 degree angle, especially, he cocks his head back. When he assumes that position, he uh, he doesn't talk a whole lot, he just looks at ya'. So if you're a real talkative person and he assumes that position, you start feelin' stupid after a while."
    "That's one of his many charms. He's a good guy. Anyhow, me and Donnie moved to Nashville around the same time about eight years ago and Donnie'd just done three or four pretty big pictures with Kris and got some good sized paychecks for doing these movies. All he had to do was stand in the background like that. And right away after he got these paychecks, he went on tour, over in Europe, so his wife took the paychecks and decided to build their dream house."
    "She built this big house up on a hill in Nashville, had a big circular driveway to it, and two big double doors with doorknobs as big as hubcaps. When you'd go into the front door, there'd be a foyer there. Donnie'd never even heard of a foyer, and now he owned one, you know. There was a men and ladies bathroom off to the side, and a hat rack, and a waterfall comin' down from a balcony. Donnie put a couple of frogs in the waterfall cause he'd feel better about that part of the house. As he'd take you through the house and show it to you for the first time every time he'd go into a new room he'd go 'I'm sorry.'"
    "When we'd get together to write we'd take folding chairs and go sit in the garage with the dogs, you know. So needless to say this house was a source of embarrassment to Donnie. So after he hung onto it for a couple of years and then uh, uh, he put it up for sale and nobody was buying houses that year, and I was going through a divorce, and nobody was buying those either."
    "So, we figured the time had come for us to write our country song together. We figured we were gonna do it like the professionals do in Nashville, and write this song on at 10:00 a.m. on a Monday mornin', so I said, 'That'd be fine, that's what we'll do.'"
    "Now I had to go to New Orleans the weekend before that Monday, and do a show and I told Fritts I'd come back from New Orleans with some sort of idea for this new song we were gonna write. So on the flight home from new Orleans I's readin' the National Enquirer on the plane. Which I kind of like to read when I'm flying 'cause it makes me feel a little closer to God. Their illustrations of UFOs are pretty much on the money, too. This issue didn't have much gossip in it er, any illustrations of UFOs but it had a lot of strange and unusual diseases of the world. Some of these diseases were so strange that nobody really caught 'em yet. And they had to pick this picture of this little girl had that awful disease where your body ages about ten times faster than it's supposed to, and she had the body of like a 92 year old woman, and the caption said 'The Oldest Baby in the World'. 
    "So I cut the caption out and I took it over to Donnie's house the next day, and I said 'lookee here, man,' I said, 'The Oldest Baby in the World'. I said 'We know a mess of old babies in this world,' I said 'let's write a song for all of 'em.'  This song's only about half as short as this story" ~John Prine

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • dcbc changed the title to Cool Pictures of Music Icons