Apple sucks. Android is better!!!

Parliament

• 2 weeks later...

Is the new Pixel 3 going to be bezel-less? Take it with a grain of salt, but it might based on some images from the P beta.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/05/21/google-pixel-3-pixel-3xl-new-pixel-smartphone-specs-price-upgrade-release/#29a84e2b1fdf

I test every flagship smartphone and, without doubt, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL remain the world’s best smartphones (this is why). But with leaks about the even more expensive Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL few and far between, it seems Google GOOGL +1.27% has taken it upon itself to tease the new phones not once, not twice, but now three times… 

Spotted by Slashleaks, I can confirm that buried within the current Android P beta settings (Settings > Sounds > Shortcut to Prevent Ringing) is Google showcasing the functionality using a new phone design which would be an absolute gamechanger.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2FGordon Kelly

Google's radical new smartphone hidden inside the Android P beta

As you can see the image shows a truly bezel-less device. No bottom chin, no notch, just the slender, consistent rim of the phone all the way around the display. If this is the Pixel 3, then Google will be the first mass-market smartphone maker to essentially reach design perfection.

Crucially, Google has form here.

Last year, Google released its Data Transfer Tool and the animation showing how to use the feature included an unrecognised smartphone design which turned out to be - yes - the Pixel 2 XL.

In this instance, Google realised its mistake and was able to quickly update the app in the Play Store to use a more generic design. But it cannot make such an easy change to its Android P beta without releasing a new version, and that is not scheduled for several months.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F9to5Mac

Google previously leaked the Pixel 2 XL design in new software

Needless to say, the image raises as many questions as it answers.

If this is the Pixel 3 then where is Google hiding the front facing camera? Has it mastered the under-display technology multiple manufacturers (including Apple before it opted for the notch) have been working on? Or could it follow an existing example and use a pop-up front camera? And what about the dual stereo speakers, will they move to the top and bottom edges?

And yet, perhaps the most exciting thing about the design Google has shown us in Android P is it already exists in a commercial phone. The Vivo Apex will be a limited edition model but shows the technology is ready, and Google has much deeper pockets than Vivo to mass produce it.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2FBen Sin

Vivo Apex (left) beside the iPhone X (right)

Furthermore, the obvious question to ask is: If this is not the Pixel 3, then why would Google choose to illustrate the functionality of its next-generation operating system a) with a device which looks nothing like the Pixel 3 it launches on, and b) which would immediately make the new Pixel look outdated? That makes no sense.

Besides, it isn’t just Google which has made the mistake of accidentally leaking images of its upcoming phones in pre-release software. Apple did the exact same thing last year, filling its HomePod beta software with iPhone X graphics months ahead of its unveiling. What were they used for? Yes, illustrating functionality.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2FGordon Kelly

Of course, it makes sense at this stage to remain cautious. Such a radical design would send shockwaves through the smartphone world and only last week my sources said Google’s first Pixel 3 prototypes had a notch.

But, based on historical precedence, it looks like Google may well have moved onto something far more ambitious…

• Like 1

i can't believe they rolled out the pixel 2 with the big ass bezels.  i guess they were waiting for the pixel 3.  if this is the case, then i'll finally pull the trigger on a pixel.  don't like the xl sizes since bezelless phones have almost the size screen size.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i can't believe they rolled out the pixel 2 with the big ass bezels.  i guess they were waiting for the pixel 3.  if this is the case, then i'll finally pull the trigger on a pixel.  don't like the xl sizes since bezelless phones have almost the size screen size.

Yeah I definitely got the feeling they switched up design in the middle or somewhat early in the process. There were some rumors that there would be three models for the Pixel 2. My theory is that they didn't like the bezel design from HTC and that's why they brought in LG. I'm guessing LG was only able to handle making one model so late in the process so they focused on the 2XL. I believe the original Pixel 2XL from HTC was turned into U11+. Hopefully they stay unified this time with one manufacturer. I'm a little worried about the rumors of a notch though.

39 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The notch will be there for sure, just have to accept that. I am only really hoping they add wireless charging. 

I wouldn't mind wireless charging but only if it's not with a glass back.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Ducking iOS 11.4. Since I “upgraded”, my battery is dying within several hours of the phone being inactive.

This happens sometimes on iOS and Android phones. Factory reset the phone. Someone's apps don't play nice with the new OS.

• 2 weeks later...

My phone updated to the new OS Saturday. Used to, when I'd snap a pic, it'd take the pic, give me a preview then go back to the camera. No it just stays with the pic and I gotta go back to the camera manually.

I've looked in all the settings but can't find a fix. Some help here? Thx

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 6:51 AM, Tom said:

Calm down.  You don't have to download anything.  Press Bixby button.  When bixby opens click on settings.  Disable Bixby button.  It should take no more than 15 seconds of your life.

Don't get the new Samsung phones. They removed the ability to disable Bixby and have been making it more difficult for developers to disable/remap it.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

You can still disable Bixby on the Note 9. Not sure of any newer Samsung phones.  

How do you do that easily?

Seems less than ideal.

https://www.androidsage.com/2018/08/29/how-to-remove-disable-uninstall-remap-bixby-button-samsung-galaxy-note-9-note-8-s9-s8/

https://www.xda-developers.com/remap-bixby-2-0-samsung-galaxy-note-9/

Just wondering because I need a new phone and it sure seems Samsung is doing everything they can to make it difficult to bypass Bixby.

Edited by HoustonHorn

On 6/8/2018 at 8:55 AM, TwiceHorn said:

No joke.  This "accommodation" is now discussed as a "feature."  Ridiculous.

3XL (and probably any other amoled notched phone) looks good with an app called nacho notch. You can black out the...ears, I guess you could call them...so that it just displays the status icons.  You can also move it all down below the notch if you like that better.

56 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

How do you do that easily?

Seems less than ideal.

https://www.androidsage.com/2018/08/29/how-to-remove-disable-uninstall-remap-bixby-button-samsung-galaxy-note-9-note-8-s9-s8/

https://www.xda-developers.com/remap-bixby-2-0-samsung-galaxy-note-9/

Just wondering because I need a new phone and it sure seems Samsung is doing everything they can to make it difficult to bypass Bixby.

They are making it more difficult, but you download one app, go in and remap the button to whatever you want. Seems easy to me. 

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

They are making it more difficult, but you download one app, go in and remap the button to whatever you want. Seems easy to me.  

You acknowledge they can issue another update to make it even more difficult or impossible. And you're good with that? I'm assuming the app you are talking about is bxActions - this is from the XDA site:

This app does work well, but it’s not always as reliable as Button Mapper in my experience. It has the great upside of only needing to be enabled once. You don’t even need to run the adb command, but it does make the app faster and more reliable. This app is by no means bad—I would say it’s probably the best for its function. Just sometimes, I have found it to be unreliable on my Galaxy Note

So I'm going to spend $1,200 on something and have it be unreliable?  I developed two apps for Android. I've spent more time than most people learning about everything Android, including making apps work with system services, rooting, installing custom ROMs and all that. I'm done with that. It may be "easy" , but I don't want to have to add a 3rd party app that the manufacturer is actively trying to prevent from working.

Last time I posted on this thread, it was "easy" and all you had to do was sign up for a Samsung account so you could disable it. It wasn't my phone and I wasn't going to spend the time signing up for an account for someone else to make that happen. But even that's not an option anymore. Now the easiest option is an app that is "unreliable" and this is the process (from the XDA website)

bxActions is an app that has been doing Bixby remapping since the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ launched last year. This app is pretty reliable for remapping Bixby on the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but Bixby Voice is still installed so there could be some compatibility issues with that. The developer is actively developing the app so if you do find any bugs, you should expect them to be fixed.

1. Join the open beta for bxActions then install the app.
  2. Install ADB on your computer. You can follow this guide to get it installed.
  3. Enable ADB by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number 7 times. Once you do this enter your password and go back twice. You can enter the developer options menu now. Just toggle the USB debugging switch to enable ADB.
  4. Open bxActions and follow the prompts to give it the permissions it needs.
  5. Select the Bix button options and click the red box that says “please unlock permissions using a PC”
  6. Run the two commands:

adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.bxactions android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    adb shell pm grant com.jamworks.bxactions android.permission.READ_LOGS
  7. Once you do this close and reopen the app.
  8. You can now select the option you want to use to remap the Bixby button on the Samsung Galaxy Note 9. This app has actions like Google Assistant and the flashlight toggle as well.

Not only that, but it will probably require additional workarounds in the future because Samsung is trying to prevent you from disabling Bixby or 2) set up ADB on your computer and go through a similarly long process and then has to be reset every time you reboot your phone (ButtonMapper).

Seems convenient and easy to me too. Right until it isn't.

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

You acknowledge they can issue another update to make it even more difficult or impossible. And you're good with that? I'm assuming the app you are talking about is bxActions - this is from the XDA site:

So I'm going to spend $1,200 on something and have it be unreliable?  I developed two apps for Android. I've spent more time than most people learning about everything Android, including making apps work with system services, rooting, installing custom ROMs and all that. I'm done with that. It may be "easy" , but I don't want to have to add a 3rd party app that the manufacturer is actively trying to prevent from working.

Last time I posted on this thread, it was "easy" and all you had to do was sign up for a Samsung account so you could disable it. It wasn't my phone and I wasn't going to spend the time signing up for an account for someone else to make that happen. But even that's not an option anymore. Now the easiest option is an app that is "unreliable" and this is the process (from the XDA website)

Not only that, but it will probably require additional workarounds in the future because Samsung is trying to prevent you from disabling Bixby or 2) set up ADB on your computer and go through a similarly long process and then has to be reset every time you reboot your phone (ButtonMapper).

Seems convenient and easy to me too. Right until it isn't.

Get another phone then, not complicated. Samsung has said the option to disable the button will be coming in a software update, but in true Samsung fashion, that update is late. 

29 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Get another phone then, not complicated. Samsung has said the option to disable the button will be coming in a software update, but in true Samsung fashion, that update is late. 

Updates are another issue completely but there was apparently a disable option before if you had a Samsung account and they removed it. I don't think they have much intention in disabling it but I could be wrong.

The problem I have is 1) AT&T fucking sucks, 2) AT&T really fucking sucks in my neighborhood which includes my house and my office to the point where my current phone is nearly unusable as a phone or a device to send texts, 3) Samsung seems to have the best connectivity with AT&T which will hopefully alleviate those issues somewhat, 4) Samsung is one of the few manufacturers to provide a headphone jack and the last thing I need is to pay hundreds of dollars for some other device to keep charged when I already own nice headphones.

So it shouldn't be complicated, but it is. And this Bixby shit should be such a non-issue but Samsung wants to fuck everyone's face with it. And this sort of shit is why I fucking hate Apple products.

I'll probably just go back to Verizon and get a OnePlus 6T and deal with a stupid fucking dongle accessory for my headphones to work through the USB-C port.

Edited by HoustonHorn

I want a small galaxy phone. I hate that the smallest one out there is the one I already have, the S7. The galaxy 1 had a 4 inch screen, I wish they would come out with a mini version. that is identical to that in size.. 
I think one the S10's that comes out next year is small

bk manager app or other package disabler apps are the only reason i continue to use samsung phones.  i don't say this as a negative.  it allows almost full root function without having to root.  just kinda have to know what you are doing because it allows you to disable almost every app on samsung phones, including all bixby related and knox shit.

i think google removed the package disabler apps from the play store, but you can probably get them from xda or f-droid.  they cost less than $3.  

anyway, after dloading the package disabler, you can disable/freeze most all samsung, knox, bixby, and even not critical google apps.  the $3 is way cheap for the convenience of not having to root and risk bricking your device.

if you find the app, let me know and i can walk you through which apps you can safely disable.  i have like 50-60 apps disabled on my s8.  battery life is much improved and everything is snappier because all the shit isn't running in the background.  hell, you can disable firmware updates if you so choose.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BNB said:

Wow.
I have a Galaxy.
Isn't the bixby button just another button that other phones don't have?
If so, what is the big deal?

because it's easily pressed, bixby is a piece of shit, and it sucks up battery and resources.  unless a person likes using bixby, though i have no idea how or why, there's no reason for you not to disable that shit.

• Like 1

the new oneplus 6t has sparked my interest, especially with over half off with trade in at tmobile.  with the discount, it can be had for under $300.  that's a GREAT AMAZEBALLS deal.  reviews have been really positive from a price to quality ratio.  it's not a flagship phone, but it doesn't cost $1000 either.  the 2 main concerns with me are the not flagship level camera and, specific to tmobile, not a dual sim phone.  i don't need a new phone but when does need really matter.

I looked at the 6t as well. Unfortunately they are not taking the Nexus 6p as trade in, just the Nexus 6, which I have but has a severely cracked screen so probably not qualifying as "good" condition.

Still though I'm waiting for reviews to see how well the under the glass fingerprint scanner performs and how good the camera is.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

I looked at the 6t as well. Unfortunately they are not taking the Nexus 6p as trade in, just the Nexus 6, which I have but has a severely cracked screen so probably not qualifying as "good" condition.

Still though I'm waiting for reviews to see how well the under the glass fingerprint scanner performs and how good the camera is.

review from the verge that details and shows fingerprint reader.  there's a slight lag.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18037414/oneplus-6t-review-price-specs-battery-life-camera-display-fingerprint-sensor

review from mkbhd comparing 5 camera phones.  op 6 was on the list.  the 6t has the same camera so results should be the same.  it's not flag ship level good, but it is better than other $500 phones.

• Like 1

I'm not a high end phone buyer, as I most use the phone, text and Waze app's , with some photos and internet usage.

So I'm 3 weeks into new phone ownership - Moto g6 play, love the battery life (I easily can go 2 days between charging) and fast charging, it was a little bit larger than I really wanted but I've gotten use to it. The camera has a slight lag, but the quality is great.

And most of all (look in the Cheap Bastard thread) I think all in cost is now just over $250, including accessories. FWI this is an unlocked phone, so I've got that in my favor should I ever need it.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Buy a $20 or so screen and fix it to trade it in. Should be an hour of work for $280 in net payoff. 

I am dusting off my old cracked OPO to fix it for this very reason. 

because it's easily pressed, bixby is a piece of shit, and it sucks up battery and resources.  unless a person likes using bixby, though i have no idea how or why, there's no reason for you not to disable that shit.
This.

Forcing a subpar "feature" that a lot of people don't want is BS. Placing it next to the volume buttons is complete shit. Making it difficult or impossible to disable is egregious Apple-level hostility towards the end user. The fact most people don't see what the big deal is is exactly why they can pull that sort of crap.

Apple doesn't know how I want to use my phone and neither does Samsung. It was arrogance from Steve Jobs and he was at least demanding excellence to his standard. Here you have Samsung forcing a piece of shit down everyone's throat. Enjoy. I'll pass.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Buy a $20 or so screen and fix it to trade it in. Should be an hour of work for $280 in net payoff. 

I am dusting off my old cracked OPO to fix it for this very reason. 

I remember trying to do this when it first happened and the screens were about as much as a used nexus 6

My wife replaced her iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy-whatever about 18 months ago because one of my daughters wanted her 3rd Samsung and there was a deal if you bought two. Within 15 months both had switched to iPhones (my daughter for the first time).

I can’t tell you for sure what problems they were having with their Samsung’s, but our trustworthy repair shop owner guy says he sees almost 10 times as many Samsungs and other android phones than iPhones. He doesn’t sell any brand of phones, if that matters. 

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife replaced her iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy-whatever about 18 months ago because one of my daughters wanted her 3rd Samsung and there was a deal if you bought two. Within 15 months both had switched to iPhones (my daughter for the first time).

I can’t tell you for sure what problems they were having with their Samsung’s, but our trustworthy repair shop owner guy says he sees almost 10 times as many Samsungs and other android phones than iPhones. He doesn’t sell any brand of phones, if that matters. 

It really doesn't matter. 

• Fuck You 1

played with the 6T at Tmobile.  damn nice phone.  $300 off is a damn nice deal bringing the phone to $280.  i'll have to live with single sim and slower firmware updates from tmobile.   and i'll have to live with a shittier camera than my s8.  but for $280, i think i might pull the trigger.

pulled the trigger on the T-Mobile oneplus 6t.  with the $300 off, getting this phone for $280 was a no brainer.  it's bigger than what i'm used to.  screen is only 1080 but it's gorgeous.  didn't really figure out the oneplus home screen stuff, so i imported screen layout from nova and am using nova launcher.  ota speeds are much higher than on my s8.  better radios, at least wifi.  don't like the no headphone jack but i can live with it.  fucking dongle.  battery life seems to be outstanding.

highly recommend for $280.  

We'll see the new Galaxy F on Wednesday.  Is this thing gonna cost $2k?

The main OLED screen, the one that folds, will sit on the inside of the phone, measuring 7.29 inches and offering users a tablet-like experience. On the outside of the handset, a secondary 4.6-inch OLED screen will let users operate the device as a regular phone.

https://bgr.com/2018/11/02/galaxy-f-release-date-final-screen-design-and-specs-decided/

apropos thread title.

i hate apple because they always charged you for fucking every got damned thing and every thing is proprietary.  however, i didn't realize it was this fucking bad.  funny read.  apple is fucking horrible.  i can't believe people willingly take it in the ass time and again from them.

The lack of extension cable for the Macbook Pro charger, it's at least once a week I get annoyed by that.

Thankfully not anymore but up until late 2016 Apple sold flagship smartphones with base 16GB storage, the same amount as an iPod nano from like 2005.

In the same vein, including 128GB base storage on a $1299 notebook.

And don't forget, they are still selling 4K iMacs with 5400RPM spinning hard drive, which coincidentally is the same speed Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave when he heard about it.

Scott Forstall would have been a much better choice. Sadly, Jobs let Jony Ive elbowed him out of the way so he could flatten iOS. So glad they took Ive off of software. I used to be a fan, but I am SO over Jony the narcissist.

ReportSave

level 6
39 points·4 hours ago

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Ive needs to be taken off projects, but he absolutely needs someone else above him who actually understands that the devices are primarily intended to be used, not just looked at, and what they're going to be used for.

Ive is the Nigel Tufnel of computers. Every time he designs a new device, there's a laundry list of shit it can't do that the old one could (at least not without expensive, ugly-ass dongles), and all Ive can do is give you a blank, I-don't-understand-what-you're-talking-about stare and say, "but this one's thinner…"

Edited by crash_davis