The Three Best Movies You've Never Seen, or Seen and Didn't Like

tantric superman

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Then you need to sit down and watch Casablanca.... ya mor-ron......  

It's bogarts coolest role (who the hell wouldn't wanna be Rick), and the supporting cast is so much fun to watch.  It's one of those films that transports you to a time and place that few films are ever able to do, even in color.

Totally agree. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you go back to my "top 10" list it's a bunch of flicks from the past 30-40* years and Casablanca. 

Interpret how you may. 

I think age plays a role in that decision.    I could name 10 favorite top 10 films that are all black and white.  Maybe that's the next topic ?

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think age plays a role in that decision.    I could name 10 favorite top 10 films that are all black and white.  Maybe that's the next topic ?

Oh it obviously does. That's kind of my point. I love that film enough to vault it over almost everything that's come out since. 

There's plenty of older films I adore - but I'm biased in that I wasn't alive when they came out and as such probably identify slightly less with them. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh it obviously does. That's kind of my point. I love that film enough to vault it over almost everything that's come out since. 

There's plenty of older films I adore - but I'm biased in that I wasn't alive when they came out and as such probably identify slightly less with them. 

And that's fair.  I smack my 26 year old son in the head when he says things like I don't like black and white movies.  But he totally digs Dylan, Doors, Floyd, Stones, etc.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, lateshow said:

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, and I really have no desire to either.

I've only seen one Bond movie, GoldenEye. Which I only "saw" in between making out with my Jr High girlfriend. 

I saw the first Star Wars, left the theater and went out and immediately started slamming my dick in the car door to remind myself never to watch another one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I smack my 26 year old son in the head when he says things like I don't like black and white movies.

I like classic black and white movies. I don't understand this new trend of "let's put it in black and white to make it more artsy". Ends up feeling pretentious and lazy more often than not to me. 

I saw Roma and liked it, but didn't think it being in black and white really did anything for the film. 

I like classic black and white movies. I don't understand this new trend of "let's put it in black and white to make it more artsy". Ends up feeling pretentious and lazy more often than not to me. 

I saw Roma and liked it, but didn't think it being in black and white really did anything for the film. 

It worked in Young Frankenstein ...... DAMMIT !!!!!

Oh it totally did. But that was a satire of black and white horror movies. 

Yep for sure. Schindlers List comes to mind as a powerful use of the genre.  I don't mind B&W though.  Artistic direction is determined by the creator IMO.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The lighting and contrast would have been totally different had they simply kept it in color, and the film would have been worse for that.  Cuarón actually shot the film in color using a 65mm digital camera and then he and his team meticulously created a monochromatic conversion therefrom.  This was done to achieve a unique grain-free black-and-white aesthetic that gives the film a dreamlike quality of childhood memory, the concept the movie is based on. 

A lot more thought goes into this stuff than "it would be cute to shoot this in black-and-white."

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/alfonso-cuarons-black-and-white-roma-was-a-cinematic-master-stroke-1202021233/

28 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The lighting and contrast would have been totally different had they simply kept it in color, and the film would have been worse for that.  Cuarón actually shot the film in color using a 65mm digital camera and then he and his team meticulously created a monochromatic conversion therefrom.  This was done to achieve a unique grain-free black-and-white aesthetic that gives the film a dreamlike quality of childhood memory, the concept the movie is based on. 

A lot more thought goes into this stuff than "it would be cute to shoot this in black-and-white."

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/alfonso-cuarons-black-and-white-roma-was-a-cinematic-master-stroke-1202021233/

I'll concede it maybe lent something to the film's narrative, but I'm not going to suck his dick because he chose to put it in B&W. If you want to take a different angle, maybe he limited the palette because Lubezki wasn't available. 

B&W cinematography is less impressive to me basically by default. The world isn't black and white. In this particular instance, maybe it aided the story. He will probably win best picture for it so it ended up working. But overall, more often than not, it strikes me as a move to garner attention and separate from the crowd. I don't think it's daring or revolutionary at all. 

Can you name some examples of when you believe B&W was used simply for its novelty?  Frances Ha? Cold War? The Man Who Wasn't There?  I'm curious.  The choice of color and B&W is one choice among a great many that a director makes, and I think it's rather silly to make a such a categorical claim in support of one or the other.  It all depends on the individual film.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Then you need to sit down and watch Casablanca.... ya mor-ron......  

It's bogarts coolest role (who the hell wouldn't wanna be Rick)

I vote for In a Lonely Place as his coolest role.  Don't remember it but Nicholas Ray is a weird director and the whole movie was just a tad off and hip.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Wedding Crashers is a classic comedy and I will fight anyone that debates otherwise. 

eh, then we can fight.  it's got some moments, but it's wayyy too long, and i would argue only the first ~45 minutes are funny.  comedies like this should be 1:45 at absolute max.  this shit is over 2 hours. 

owen wilson isn't funny in this.  vaughn alone makes the movie what it is.  they got to the lakehouse too quickly, and the ending takes fucking forever.

it's funny, but it's not a classic.  like has been mentioned, this is your age showing.  tommyboy came out when i was in college.  while i was watching it, it was probably the greatest movie ever made.  perspective and relativity and shit.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

eh, then we can fight.  it's got some moments, but it's wayyy too long, and i would argue only the first ~45 minutes are funny.  comedies like this should be 1:45 at absolute max.  this shit is over 2 hours. 

owen wilson isn't funny in this.  vaughn alone makes the movie what it is.  they got to the lakehouse too quickly, and the ending takes fucking forever.

it's funny, but it's not a classic.  like has been mentioned, this is your age showing.  tommyboy came out when i was in college.  while i was watching it, it was probably the greatest movie ever made.  perspective and relativity and shit.

I actually agree with basically everything you said. Classic isn't the right word if we're being objective about it.

It does drag towards the end and is too long. I always thought it was strange how they try and shoehorn a dramatic romance in towards the end.

I will disagree with only the first 45 minutes being funny. Vaughn has some legendary monologues once they are at the "lake/summer house" (the motorboat scene, the scene at breakfast with the grandfather). Walken is great. Ferrell's cameo is pretty damn funny.

Overall it's a good comedy with some great moments that I think tends to get overlooked. Probably not in my top 5 comedies from that decade, so again, not a classic, but a movie I have a soft spot for.

Oh, also, Rachel McAdams is close to perfection. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I always thought it was strange how they try and shoehorn a dramatic romance in towards the end.

we call that the "apatow effect."

40 year old virgin - 2 hours, 13 min

funny people - 2 hours, 33 min

knocked up - 2 hours, 8 min

this is 40 - 2 hours, 14 min

stop trying to cram 2-3 movies into one movie making it less funny.

(i wasn't implying judd apatow had anything to do with wedding crashers, it's just a terrible trend)

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we call that the "apatow effect."

40 year old virgin - 2 hours, 13 min

funny people - 2 hours, 33 min

knocked up - 2 hours, 8 min

this is 40 - 2 hours, 14 min

stop trying to cram 2-3 movies into one movie making it less funny.

(i wasn't implying judd apatow had anything to do with wedding crashers, it's just a terrible trend)

To be fair, 40 y/o Virgin is a better movie and has more of a plot to get through those 2 hours. Less funny or not.

The others, yeah I can do without.

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Tommy boy ? No, no it wasn't.  But hey thanks for trying.  I've got perspective, and Tommy Boy was never the greatest comedy, not even for a split second. Farley was a Belushi wanna be.  

I liked Farley, but he wasn't in the greatest anything ever.  He was doing what the Marxx brothers, and the stooges did back in the 20'a thru 40's.  Sight gags, and the Marx Brothers were 10x funnier, and more talented.

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Continental Op said:

The world isn't little dots.  Seurat was a wanker! 

You can take it out of context if you want. My point is there are millions of colors in the visible spectrum, and as a result I think working with the full range rather than black and white is more difficult.

That's just my opinion though. Obviously using a limited palette presents it's own, different set of challenges. 

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Tommy boy ? No, no it wasn't.  But hey thanks for trying.  I've got perspective, and Tommy Boy was never the greatest comedy, not even for a split second. Farley was a Belushi wanna be.  

I liked Farley, but he wasn't in the greatest anything ever.  He was doing what the Marxx brothers, and the stooges did back in the 20'a thru 40's.  Sight gags, and the Marx Brothers were 10x funnier, and more talented.

Farley was at his funniest on SNL. When you could digest his absurdity to 4 or 5 minutes at a time. 

And I dont think anyone is saying Farley was some revolutionary comic. 

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I thought somebody posted that Tommy Boy was comedic genius.

No,I think you missed his point. He meant that as an 18 year old he thought Tommy Boy was the greatest thing ever. Looking back, it obviously isn't. 

His point was I have a different perspective on more recent films/comedies because I'm younger.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I thought somebody posted that Tommy Boy was comedic genius.

as ztejas basically said, you read what i wrote, took the ball, ran the wrong way, and scored a touchdown for the other team (safety?).  well done.

when we were 19 years old, drunk and stoned or whatever, and were replaying certain parts, yes, i thought it was the funniest thing i had ever seen and could barely catch my breath.  that opinion quickly changed, which is why i was comparing it to ztejas calling wedding crashers a "classic comedy".  comedies, more so than dramas, are often generational in their appreciation, which makes comparisons so subjective.

but i totally appreciate the history lesson on physical comedy.  teach me more, please please.

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

as ztejas basically said, you read what i wrote, took the ball, ran the wrong way, and scored a touchdown for the other team (safety?).  well done.

when we were 19 years old, drunk and stoned or whatever, and were replaying certain parts, yes, i thought it was the funniest thing i had ever seen and could barely catch my breath.  that opinion quickly changed, which is why i was comparing it to ztejas calling wedding crashers a "classic comedy".  comedies, more so than dramas, are often generational in their appreciation, which makes comparisons so subjective.

but i totally appreciate the history lesson on physical comedy.  teach me more, please please.

My condolences that at 19 that was the funniest thing you'd ever seen (stoned or sober). You must not have gotten out much.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Farley was at his funniest on SNL. When you could digest his absurdity to 4 or 5 minutes at a time. 

And I dont think anyone is saying Farley was some revolutionary comic. 

Are you even old enough to have seen Farley live on SNL?

In regards to the thread topic I still haven’t seen any of The Godfather movies. 

as a blanket statement, without knowing where most of you monkeys live, do your best to seek out theaters that show older movies from time to time.  even if you have a nice setup at home, it's just not the same.  i know it's hard to get 100 focused minutes from the wife if she knows her phone is somewhere in the house.

the first time she saw the graduate, butch cassidy, chinatown, casablanca - was in an actual movie theater, and that's why she loved them.

if you try to watch an older, longer movie for the first time at home, you're just not getting the same experience, and that'll end up being a reason you don't really get the love others have for the movie.  as great as the godfather is (post above mine), if you watch at home with the normal interruptions, it'll take 4 hours, and you'll likely fade in and out of paying close attention, and it won't have the full effect.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, henrygandorf said:

as a blanket statement, without knowing where most of you monkeys live, do your best to seek out theaters that show older movies from time to time.  even if you have a nice setup at home, it's just not the same.  i know it's hard to get 100 focused minutes from the wife if she knows her phone is somewhere in the house.

the first time she saw the graduate, butch cassidy, chinatown, casablanca - was in an actual movie theater, and that's why she loved them.

if you try to watch an older, longer movie for the first time at home, you're just not getting the same experience, and that'll end up being a reason you don't really get the love others have for the movie.  as great as the godfather is (post above mine), if you watch at home with the normal interruptions, it'll take 4 hours, and you'll likely fade in and out of paying close attention, and it won't have the full effect.

Pos rep.

but what about the chatty motherfucker two rows back who won’t STFU?

On 2/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, henrygandorf said:

if you try to watch an older, longer movie for the first time at home, you're just not getting the same experience, and that'll end up being a reason you don't really get the love others have for the movie. 

Well, if you rip a 4k Blu Ray and watch it on a 2k or 4k screen with surround sound it's not bad.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, Covri said:

Are you even old enough to have seen Farley live on SNL?

They have these things called videos where you can watch things that have happened previously.

There's this one site - MeVision or WeWatch or something - that has a ton of videos uploaded by a huge community. 

But you probably saw The General on it's original debut and are 120 years old so maybe it's lost on you.

HG has a damn good point on seeing the classics on the BS.  As I mentioned before, we own the DVD for Citizen Kane but I’d be too distracted to sit down and watch it, unlike, say Jaws where I’ve watched it a million times(or close to it) and can pick it up wherever I find it and know where it’s going. 

I know Paramount Theater in Austin used to show classic movies years ago, may still do it.  Maybe one day a theater near me will have CK on the screen then I can do it justice and watch it like it was meant to be watched. 

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They have these things called videos where you can watch things that have happened previously.

There's this one site - MeVision or WeWatch or something - that has a ton of videos uploaded by a huge community. 

But you probably saw The General on it's original debut and are 120 years old so maybe it's lost on you.

Lol not that old just old enough to have been their to grow up watching all those guys blow up,  Sandler to Myers to Farley and Spade. All those movies are still hilarious to me but it’s probably because I grew up with them.

2 minutes ago, Covri said:

Lol not that old just old enough to have been their to grow up watching all those guys blow up,  Sandler to Myers to Farley and Spade. All those movies are still hilarious to me but it’s probably because I grew up with them.

Looking back I phrased my comment kind of weird. But I've watched almost all of the classic SNL shit and that's really where Farley shined. From Matt Foley to coffee crystals to "people say I've never "been" with a "woman"" newscast.

Yeah he was so great on snl they had to do two best of Chris Farley collections when everyone else only had 1 at the time. I still do the “what?” from that coffee commercial skit in my head all the time when someone says something stupid on a conference call.

• 2 weeks later...