2019 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Rebuild or Run it Back?

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

And then there's this bullshit:

Nice to trade Davis Bertans and an overseas prospect so we could add $1.5 million to Demarre Carrol's contract. What a clusterfuck.

He'd be an idiot to renege on the agreement with the Spurs at this point. That additional $5M isn't going to go very far considering:

• NY has state income tax
  • Cost of living in NYC is >>>>>>>>>>>>> SA

Plus, he'd be joining a garbage team that is going to lose a ton of games.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He'd be an idiot to renege on the agreement with the Spurs at this point. That additional $5M isn't going to go very far considering:

Fucking Klutch.

Uhm....

Being a millionaire in NYC + 5 million more dollars >>>> Being a millionaire San Antonio.

This is really just about being a man.   Are you a man of your word or are you a man who's principles and honor is conditional or convenient.  Marcus Morris will define himself and what kind of person he is.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

13 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why had that deal not been done?  Wasn't it announced like 3 days ago?

It takes a little while for things to get done and deals to get inked and approved.  His signing was the last in a series of moves and they probably were awaiting the dominos to fall.  That said, it would behoove PATFO to be way more buttoned up things like this.  We’ve made a number of front office gaffes throughout the years from Dick Jefferson to paying Pau before Paul was delivered and now this.  They all are a bit different but still not great management.  Frankly, RC is sort of sloppy when it comes to free agency work.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Being a millionaire in NYC + 5 million more dollars >>>> Being a millionaire San Antonio.

I'd say that's highly debatable.  I don't care about tax rates and all that bullshit, because all the other costs are so vastly different.  A few million in SA gets you a gigantic estate, a ranch up in the Hill Country, a Country Club membership, maids, butler, yard-men, the list goes on.  You're a big fuckin deal there.

Same $ figure in NYC gets you a nice condo in a decent part of Manhattan.  You ain't no big deal, you're just another Manhattan millionaire trying to scrape up the ladder.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

I’m not sure I even want him now. If he is having difficulty deciding to play for a contender or a dumpster fire, that may tell you all you need to know. I get that we aren’t  really a “contender” right now, but we have a better shot than the Knicks. 

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m not sure I even want him now. If he is having difficulty deciding to play for a contender or a dumpster fire, that may tell you all you need to know. I get that we aren’t  really a “contender” right now, but we have a better shot than the Knicks. 

This. What Pop said, we want guys who've gotten over themselves.  If he reneges then we dont want em.  

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

I'd say that's highly debatable.  I don't care about tax rates and all that bullshit, because all the other costs are so vastly different.  A few million in SA gets you a gigantic estate, a ranch up in the Hill Country, a Country Club membership, maids, butler, yard-men, the list goes on.  You're a big fuckin deal there.

Same $ figure in NYC gets you a nice condo in a decent part of Manhattan.  You ain't no big deal, you're just another Manhattan millionaire trying to scrape up the ladder.

Plus I hear they can't even make a decent chorizo taco in Manhattan. 

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

Not sure it matters all that much on a 1 year deal.  Not like he's completely uprooting and buying a house in either location.  

Hell,  David Lee lived in the penthouse at Hotel Emma while he played here and has a mansion in LA despite never playing for an LA team. 

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm....

Specifically to Finger's post, WRONG. First of all, it's fucking retarded to say the max income tax rate is "only" 8%. That's almost a dime out of every dollar you earn! For someone in Morris' tax bracket, his federal write off is capped at $10,000. If you WANT Morris in New York, and you're not Morris, sure, that tax differential can be scoffed at. If you're Morris or his financial advisor, it IS significant-- "some" is a lot more than "absolutely nothing".

Second, you pay an effective sales tax in Texas of 8.25% on products (6.25 percent plus municipal taxes), and the same on taxable service (not all services are taxed). In New York city, you pay 8.875% on products, and 4.5% on services. So no, sales tax is not "higher" in Texas, and it's unlikely you'd buy enough taxable services to make it so. 

Lastly, on property tax, the odds are pretty good Morris will be renting anyway, but even if he's not, your property taxes are 1.9% here, so it seems a little disingenuous to say "THE INCOME TAX IS ONLY 8% IN NEW YORK BUT ZOMG PROPERTY TAXES ARE SO HIGH IN TEXAS!!!!". Either a few percentage points are a lot, or they're not. But, it is disingenuous especially because THERE ARE PROPERTY TAXES IN NEW YORK. If Morris buys property in EITHER STATE, he is going to incur a tax liability. So he won't. He'll just rent. Without even looking, I am betting there are taxes and fees on renters in NYC that wouldn't apply in San Antonio. 

Net, Morris pays a significant amount more in taxes in New York than Texas and he does so during the very limited period of his life where he can make several million dollars a year playing basketball. The cost of living calculation(s) aren't insignificant either. 

I am not saying he should pick San Antonio, and I am not saying he would net more in San Antonio than New York (he apparently would earn a lot more in NY and would thus net more). I am saying Mike Finger knows as much about finance as you would expect a sportswriter to know.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Don't athletes pay taxes where the money is earned such that getting paid for games in NY => NY tax rates but games played in TX => TX tax rates? Sure you play more games in NY for the Knicks but it's not an all or nothing proposition.

Correct and then where you reside affects other taxes.  Many folks "live" in Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut if they're really concerned about residency but still have a flat in NYC.  

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

His agent = Rich Paul clutch sports. Aka dejounte murrays agent. Lol. 

This is the real story.  PATFO and Clutch don't get along and it's going to impact us for the next decade.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Sure, that may be interesting to a kid born in Texas or any other small town in America.  Morris is from Philly, having a huge estate with nothing to do at 29 probably isn't that interesting to him at this stage in his life. 

54 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Don't athletes pay taxes where the money is earned such that getting paid for games in NY => NY tax rates but games played in TX => TX tax rates? Sure you play more games in NY for the Knicks but it's not an all or nothing proposition.

You're right - but it is still more than half either way. In Texas you aren't paying taxes on close to 50 games played. In New York you are paying taxes on probably 70 games with the rates dependent on which state the games are played in. 

I believe the only games that you don't pay state income tax on are in Memphis, Orlando, Miami, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. 

19 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I heard something about how the knicks can pay him more this year, and he will get a chance to re-enter free agency again next year. Any truth to that, or did I hear that wrong? Either way, what a cluster fuck

Both deals would be essentially 1 year as our offer had a Player Option the 2nd year.  The Knicks reported (above) is for more than 5 million more for that 1 year.

EDIT:  Realized the NY offer hadn't been linked.

I'll answer my own question, some interesting names:

Vince Carter

Ryan Anderson

Kenneth Fareid

Andrew Bogut

Pau Gasol (who I don't want again)

Greg Monroe

Lance Stephenson (don't want)

Tyson Chandler (old as shit)

Amir Johnson

Tyler Zeller

Jonas Jerebko

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll answer my own question, some interesting names:

Vince Carter

Ryan Anderson

Kenneth Fareid

Andrew Bogut

Pau Gasol (who I don't want again)

Greg Monroe

Lance Stephenson (don't want)

Tyson Chandler (old as shit)

Amir Johnson

Tyler Zeller

Jonas Jerebko

None of those guys are worth the MLE.  Best bet is to probably sign someone like Thomas Robinson to a minimum contract and keep your powder dry for a buy out possibility.

I don’t blame Marcus. Getting paid more to do the same job is something we all aspire to. I don’t blame his representation, as it would be negligence on their part not to make the most for their client. The Knicks, however, can burn in the seventh layer of Hell. 

44 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I don’t blame Marcus. Getting paid more to do the same job is something we all aspire to. I don’t blame his representation, as it would be negligence on their part not to make the most for their client. The Knicks, however, can burn in the seventh layer of Hell. 

That was kind of the point I was getting at when I made my post earlier. Other than giving us his word, it makes perfect sense that he would do this. I’m sure he would take a little less to be on a contender, but I’m sure he doesn’t view us as a contender. It just sucks that we made corresponding moves, assuming he would be here. 

And a hard fuck no to everyone on ztejas’s list. 

57 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That was kind of the point I was getting at when I made my post earlier. Other than giving us his word, it makes perfect sense that he would do this. I’m sure he would take a little less to be on a contender, but I’m sure he doesn’t view us as a contender. It just sucks that we made corresponding moves, assuming he would be here. 

And a hard fuck no to everyone on ztejas’s list. 

I mean... I wouldn't call it "my" list. It's just a list of notable UFAs. I think a couple of those names might be interesting pick ups but most of them would add very little. 

I don't think we need to sign anyone right now either. 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

The Knicks have already signed free agent PFs Taj Gibson, Julius Randle, and Bobby Portis this offseason. And they also have Kevin Knox at PF who was the 9th pick in the draft last year along with another young second year C in Mitchell Robinson. That frontcourt couldn't be more crowded. Adding Marcus Morris for $15 million makes about as much sense basketball-wise as everything else that franchise has done over the past decade plus.

58 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Knicks have already signed free agent PFs Taj Gibson, Julius Randle, and Bobby Portis this offseason. And they also have Kevin Knox at PF who was the 9th pick in the draft last year along with another young second year C in Mitchell Robinson. That frontcourt couldn't be more crowded. Adding Marcus Morris for $15 million makes about as much sense basketball-wise as everything else that franchise has done over the past decade plus.

Absolutely. They fully intend to trade him come December for draft picks. It’s bush league 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Absolutely. They fully intend to trade him come December for draft picks. It’s bush league 

Yep.... or a couple of the others.  But the expiring, 1 year deal seems like he'll be on a short-term deal and then shuffled off to a contender for a couple of 2nd round picks.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Correct and then where you reside affects other taxes.  Many folks "live" in Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut if they're really concerned about residency but still have a flat in NYC.  

This is the real story.  PATFO and Clutch don't get along and it's going to impact us for the next decade.

Sure, that may be interesting to a kid born in Texas or any other small town in America.  Morris is from Philly, having a huge estate with nothing to do at 29 probably isn't that interesting to him at this stage in his life. 

You grossly oversimplify here, but I understand why--you need to in order to preserve the point.  

The reality is that plenty of young Spurs from all over the globe over decades have done just fine in SA and have plenty to do.  Hell, they aren't even in town half the year, if that.

Millions in SA gives you a LOT to do mi amigo negro.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

You grossly oversimplify here, but I understand why--you need to in order to preserve the point.  

The reality is that plenty of young Spurs from all over the globe over decades have done just fine in SA and have plenty to do.  Hell, they aren't even in town half the year, if that.

Millions in SA gives you a LOT to do mi amigo negro.

Do I?  Yes, it's my opinion that the typical NBA player under 30, specifically those who were raised in inner cities or metropolitan areas would prefer to live in NYC over San Antonio, especially if they were to make way more money.  Not all, but the majority.  If you feel differently, you are more than welcome to your opinion, and we will simply agree to disagree.  This isn't brain surgery.

Moving on... 

Spoon is looking like he can develop into a nice NBA backup guard.  He'll spend some time here in ATX so try to get a look at him in person but I've been impressed.  Apparently Luka is a project but pretty talented.  Gonna take some time.  Johnson is too up and down right now.  Looks timid one night and aggressive the next.  Sort of his rep coming out, he wasn't aggressive enough all the time.

Contractions are fun
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Moving on... Spoon is looking like he can develop into a nice NBA backup guard.  He'll spend some time here in ATX so try to get a look at him in person but I've been impressed.  Apparently Luka is a project but pretty talented.  Gonna take some time.  Johnson is too up and down right now.  Looks timid one night and aggressive the next.  Sort of his rep coming out, he was aggressive enough all the time.

Spoon is closest to providing a little depth if (worst case) an injury occurs next spring.  Luka and Nelson are GREEN... lots of ATX time this season.  Not sure either one will see much of any playing time in SA until late in Year 2.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Spoon is closest to providing a little depth if (worst case) an injury occurs next spring.  Luka and Keldon are GREEN... lots of ATX time this season.  Not sure either one will see much of any playing time in SA until late in Year 2.

Correction... Keldon

(Damn autocorrect)

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Do I?  Yes, it's my opinion that the typical NBA player under 30, specifically those who were raised in inner cities or metropolitan areas would prefer to live in NYC over San Antonio, especially if they were to make way more money.  Not all, but the majority.  If you feel differently, you are more than welcome to your opinion, and we will simply agree to disagree.  This isn't brain surgery.

Moving on... 

Spoon is looking like he can develop into a nice NBA backup guard.  He'll spend some time here in ATX so try to get a look at him in person but I've been impressed.  Apparently Luka is a project but pretty talented.  Gonna take some time.  Johnson is too up and down right now.  Looks timid one night and aggressive the next.  Sort of his rep coming out, he wasn't aggressive enough all the time.

Yeah I'm not calling him Spoon.