Devin Duvernay "good hands"

Katfid54

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

tumblr_lz3npwOoJg1qe5b8wo1_r2_400.gif

By the way, Your dig below is truly great work. That kind of grudge holding from an old argument is peak Surly. Pos rep for you. Makes up for you taking Spidery2banana’s place as our resident prospect eval expert.

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or, if you're Norla, just take a year off recruiting any WR and give all those scholarships to walk-ons. 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The OU and USC gifs are pretty similar. I guess I think a guy should bring those down (or at least come close to bringing them down, instead of letting them doink off their chestbone).  In my mind, that shows hands that are not great.

Frankly, I've popped through some other clips this morning, too, and the other thing that's so frustrating about Duvernay is he's just so rarely around the football when it's thrown to him. (I really don't want to start gif-ing those.)  I know some of those were on Sam last year, but a lot of them were on Duvernay running sloppy or imprecise routes or cutting off his route thinking the ball wouldn't be coming to him.  So then Sam starts compensating by throwing the ball behind him to slow Duvernay down and make sure the he is around the ball when it's thrown to him.  That means that when the ball is in his vicinity, there's more traffic.  But it becomes even more important he bring it down, and he misses that more than our other guys did last year.

Did I go too by saying his hands were bad?  Probably.  His diving catch against Maryland was fantastic.  Maybe it's not a hands issue and it really is more of a body control issue and not being able to adjust to get to the ball when he's making catches in traffic?  In any event, let's not all pretend Duvernay is the second coming of Odell Beckham, because he's not, and a Z receiver with his physical skills plus better route running, body control, and, yeah, hands, would make our offense more potent.

Maybe it is just a racial thing. Are you sure you aren't confusing Duvernay with Rod Babers?

Just now, Katfid54 said:

We can at least all agree that I'm really good at gifs, right?

Nah. If anything I’d say you’ve got bad gifs.

There was this one time when you posted the wrong gif like two years ago and then another time when you posted an imgur link while Surly wasn’t hosting those. Some might say that doesn’t count as a messing up a gif, but I say if the gif doesn’t load on Surly, then you screwed it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

LpO-9O.gif

Not a perfect pass, and who knows if he could've stayed in bounds.  But he doesn't secure the catch here, which he should.

Who the fuck watches this clip and thinks, “man that’s a dropped pass.”  ? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

By the way, Your dig below is truly great work. That kind of grudge holding from an old argument is peak Surly. Pos rep for you. Makes up for you taking Spidery2banana’s place as our resident prospect eval expert.

This is excellent work, as well sir. Couching a complement with a dig that makes me want to lock you in a room with Scholz and Oscar Giles spit-balling being a successful recruiter. 

Indeed. But just to be safe maybe we'd better come up with a metric to differentiate between Bad Gifs and Dropped Gif Opportunities. 

If a gif literally hits me in the chest and flops lifelessly to the ground, I think it should have been a pic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

then another time when you posted an imgur link while Surly wasn?’t hosting those?

That was the first day Surly was running, and it sucked so bad.  Because I was posting from my phone and because they were in my internal cache, they were loading.  And everyone was like "You really beefed it," and I was like "What the fuck are you talking about?"

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm looking at a wide receiver take a shot to the chest like a biker gal listening to ZZ Top's Pearl Necklace.

So you did not even watch the clip you just posted. You seriously need to stop this before you look even more retarded than you already do. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So you did not even watch the clip you just posted. You seriously need to stop this before you look even more retarded than you already do.  

Right, because the ball does not CLEARLY hit Duvernay in his pads:

Duvernay-chest1.jpg

Duvernay-chest2.jpg

Katfid, 10 minutes from now:
"Look at Duverney drop this fucking perfect, gift wrapped pass:"
giphy.gif

"Yet another absolute failure by Duverney to not climb the ladder. CJ makes this catch easily."

tebowoverthrow.gif?w=1000

If only Duverney were white, this all could have been avoided.

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Can you see this one hit him in the chest?  Or am I just "retarded"?

tODBbs.gif

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

@SydneyCarton  I know you're joking.  But I don't understand others' continued insistence that I'm harping on Duvernay having drops.  I'm not.  I'm saying he doesn't have great hands.  That's not the same thing.

First off, yes, I'm enjoying the hell out of this. That being said...

No, they're not the same thing, but they're pretty related considering the number of drops is usually THE metric used to illustrate whether or not a player has good or bad hands. They're closely related. You shot yourself in the foot at the outset of the argument when you said Bad Hands, and you've continued to double down while you refine your position. Which is fine, but it's not helping the matter that every gif you've posted except the Georgia drop have been heavily contested passes, non called penalties, horrible throws or a combination of those things.

You want to convince the board that a player that had zero recorded drops by statisticians during regular season, you're going to need better examples than what you've brought to the table thus far.   

Edited by SydneyCarton

No, they're not the same thing, but they're pretty related considering the number of drops is usually THE metric used to illustrate whether or not a player has good or bad hands. They're closely related. You shot yourself in the foot at the outset of the argument when you said Bad Hands, and you've continued to double down while you refine your position. Which is fine, but it's not helping the matter that every gif you've posted except the Georgia drop have been heavily contested passes, non called penalties, horrible throws or a combination of those things.

You want to convince the board that a player that had zero recorded drops by statisticians during regular season, you're going to need better examples than what you've brought to the table thus far.   

Well those are pretty much all of the examples from 2018 that I could find where a ball even touches his hand, because every other incompletion to him that I saw, he was not even anywhere near the ball (again, sometimes Sam's fault; sometimes his own fault).

Edited by Katfid54

People on here still see Duv as the highly rated prospect he came in as.  I don't think he's lived up to the hype and consider him a meh receiver. He's a threat because of his straight line speed but hasn't produced at the level of his lofty ranking.

Well those are pretty much all of the examples from 2018 that I could find, because every other incompletion to him that I saw, he was not even anywhere near the ball (again, sometimes Sam's fault; sometimes his own fault).

No one here seems to want to argue with you on his route running and body control man. But that's not bad hands. As another poster pointed out, LJH had more WTF uncontested drops last season than I remember than anyone else on the team, perhaps combined. 

Just now, Nuge said:

People on here still see Duv as the highly rated prospect he came in as.  I don't think he's lived up to the hype and consider him a meh receiver. He's a threat because of his straight line speed but hasn't produced at the level of his lofty ranking.

Oh no.  Now there are two retarded people posting here.

1 minute ago, Nuge said:

Really great straw man, my dude. Literally no one has said any of that and you couldn’t find a single person in here that thinks Duvernay is the 37th best senior in the country.

As another poster pointed out, LJH had more WTF uncontested drops last season than I remember than anyone else on the team, perhaps combined.  

That was weird.  LJH's hands seemed to get better the harder a catch was going to be and worse when the catches were easier.

Someone could probably make some correlations between that kind of lack of focusness/effort for the little things and easy things and why he did badly at the combine.  But I've gone out on enough limbs today.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Really great straw man, my dude. Literally no one has said any of that and you couldn’t find a single person in here that thinks Duvernay is the 37th best senior in the country.

Then why are you defending  him so vociferously? 

Just now, Nuge said:
1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Then why are you defending  him so vociferously?  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Enchubben said:

Can you guys take this Duvernay discussion to the football board and stopping fucking up the recruiting thread? K thx

What are you talking about?  This is recruiting discussion.  The whole point of these posts is that we should be willing to take Achane as a Z.

Edited by Katfid54

The problem with the USC gif and the OU gif is that in both of those he is not trying to catch with his hands.  He is trying (waiting) to catch with his chest.  Yes, the OU gif was pass interference.  Yes, it may or may not have been caught.  The OU defender hands were between his hands and it may have been knocked out.  The attempts at the catch are where you can nitpick.  But his hands should have been on the ball in both gifs and not allowed to come to his chest.  That's a technique problem, its not bad hands being pointed out in those two gifs it's lack of hands. 

Can't believe I am diving into this shit.

1 minute ago, UTEX90 said:

The problem with the USC gif and the OU gif is that in both of those he is not trying to catch with his hands.  He is trying (waiting) to catch with his chest.  Yes, the OU gif was pass interference.  Yes, it may or may not have been caught.  The OU defender hands were between his hands and it may have been knocked out.  The attempts at the catch are where you can nitpick.  But his hands should have been on the ball in both gifs and not allowed to come to his chest.  That's a technique problem, its not bad hands being pointed out in those two gifs it's lack of hands. 

Can't believe I am diving into this shit.

giphy.gif

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You just thanked a man for saying "It's Not Bad Hands." Are you punch drunk? Or just ready to tap out?

He says "It's not bad hands" but that it's "lack of hands."  Not sure I understand the distinction when the whole point of me posting those gifs was to show that Duvernay can't even get his hands on the football in those situations and is, instead, letting it doink (I'm going to keep using that word) off his chest.

Just now, Nuge said:

he was basically a perfect recruit for the veer and shoot...but yeah, he hasn't developed here (not that anyone can blame him, his WR coaches have been Charlie Williams and Mehringer) - also in part because last year he was playing behind LHJ and Johnson who had like 50% of the team's completed passes last year. Beck, Ingram and Watson had another 25% and then Duvernay had 13% of the remaining quarter. 

Sam missed who knows how many passes to him last year that should have been either long catches or long TDs...like 2 in the first half of the OU game alone right? 

he hasn't been as good as LHJ or Calvin Johnson but he still was fine last year...

He says "It's not bad hands" but that it's "lack of hands."  Not sure I understand the distinction when the whole point of me posting those gifs was to show that Duvernay can't even get his hands on the football in those situations and is, instead, letting it doink (I'm going to keep using that word) off his chest.

Image result for doink gif

• Like 3

Just now, NoName said:

Sam missed who knows how many passes to him last year that should have been either long catches or long TDs...like 2 in the first half of the OU game alone right

I think you're thinking of the K-State game.  We ran Mills with him and LJH twice, and he would've had 60+ yard walk-in touchdowns both times.  The first time, he ran a thicker post and Sam threw a skinny post.  The second time, he ran a skinny post, and Sam threw it for the fatter post.

The same thing happened early in the oSu game, too.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I believe he's saying the "lack of hands" is him not even getting his hands on the ball, which is a technique based problem. But he doesn't have bad hands. You file this one under body control, my man. 

Let me try this another way, it's Mehringer's fault.

Edited by SydneyCarton

• immamac changed the title to Devin Duvernay "good hands"