Discounted airfare

jimmyjazz

I'll be doing a fair amount of travelling over the next few months.  First up is a one-way from Albuquerque to Austin in mid-July.  I went to Google Flights and Southwest and found a bunch of options, but my wife fell into some sort of discount airfare wormhole (Kiwi, etc.) and was able to beat those prices, usually by splitting legs between airlines.  I really don't care about multiple airlines if the layovers are reasonable, but I'm unfamiliar with the booking site.  Is Kiwi legit?  Are there alternatives that are better?

I used to just go to ITA Matrix, which I believe was folded into Google, along with Southwest, which has never seemed to allow 3rd party quoting.  I guess Matrix never gave me the option of multiple airlines, but I honestly don't recall.  Travel pros, help a guy out . . . 

If you get delayed on one airline you’re going to have a harder time getting rebooked on the second airline and it will cost you more. But as long as you can control the weather and the supervise maintenance of each airline before your flight this shouldn’t be a problem.   

• Like 1

Just fly Allegiant to Austin from ABQ.  Yeah, it's a shitty airline but it's non-stop and it's cheap(er).  

Sure you can save $25 by booking a flight with a layover on two different carriers, but as stated above-that's a big risk when it comes to the first flight being delayed, and surely a 2-hour layover in Dallas or someshit isn't worth your time or $25.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Just fly Allegiant to Austin from ABQ.  Yeah, it's a shitty airline but it's non-stop and it's cheap(er).  

If I'm reading their site correctly they only have flights on Monday & Friday.  That doesn't work very well for my Wednesday trip.

Good points on the downside of a missed connection on a different airline.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll be doing a fair amount of travelling over the next few months.  First up is a one-way from Albuquerque to Austin in mid-July.  I went to Google Flights and Southwest and found a bunch of options, but my wife fell into some sort of discount airfare wormhole (Kiwi, etc.) and was able to beat those prices, usually by splitting legs between airlines.  I really don't care about multiple airlines if the layovers are reasonable, but I'm unfamiliar with the booking site.  Is Kiwi legit?  Are there alternatives that are better?

I used to just go to ITA Matrix, which I believe was folded into Google, along with Southwest, which has never seemed to allow 3rd party quoting.  I guess Matrix never gave me the option of multiple airlines, but I honestly don't recall.  Travel pros, help a guy out . . . 

Used Kiwi to book a flight to DC in August. Got a confirmation from the airline a few minutes afterward.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gecko said:

"...my wife fell into some sort of discount airfare wormhole (Kiwi, etc.) and was able to beat those prices, usually by splitting legs..."

Wow, you'll do anything to save a few $$ on airfare.

Yikes.  That doesn't read the way I intended.

Oh well, at least somebody's getting some.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

skiplagged ended up showing one price but then tripling it after selection.  Screw that.  I went to the individual airlines and booked them separately.  It's a long layover in Denver so I'm not all that worried about a missed connection.

Google flights in incognito mode and a check of the Southwest website will get you the best result, or very close to it. Close enough that digging around a bunch of other bullshit sites isn't worth the time. I believe I've seen legs split between airlines on there, but it may be partner/codeshare sort of things I'm thinking of. I would think that extra layer of risk probably isn't worth the marginal cost savings anyway.

Booked Frontier to go to Disneyland in October. Flew them out there back in March and other than the unpadded cheap seats, it was perfectly fine.

Joined the Travel Den for $49 so kids fly free. 2x $89 round trip for two adults and two kids flying free. Additional costs were upgrading to the seats with actual padding and 35” of space, added 2 check bags, and the ridiculous fees Frontier charges to actually make a profit.

All in, it ended up costing $505 for 4 round trip direct flights. SWA was $450 a ticket for one connection flights.